Cheap DIY Thanksgiving Decorations

by Courtney on November 22, 2011

Today’s lunch is pretty boring, so I’m going to spare you the picture of my canned vegetable soup. Instead, I’d much rather share a couple of fun little activities that I did yesterday.

I know everyone blames Pinterest as a total time suck. I will admit, there have been a few occasions where it has drawn me in and I am hooked for WAY longer than I need to be…

However, I will also say that it has come in quite handy for me with my planning for this year’s Thanksgiving festivities.

For example, I already know that I will be making this and this.

And somehow, Pinterest even got me to channel my crafty side and put together some fun little decorations. Actually, I think calling it my “crafty side” may even be pushing it because these ideas are downright simple. And wicked cheap, too!

Cheap DIY Decoration Idea #1

Printed & Framed Pictures

Folks, it doesn’t get much simpler than this! I found a couple prints that I really liked, printed them off on my regular printer, picked up a couple of cheap frames from Michael’s, and voila: new, festive artwork.

This one was quite possibly my favorite. I love all of the “Keep Calm” photos – especially the ones that say “Eat Cupcakes.” I may have to start to start stocking up on cheap frames.

I also found this one, which I thought was super cute. I have this one hanging on the wall, but I may end up moving it. We’ll see.

Next year, I’ll be sure to hang this one up by September 1st for sure!

Total Cost: $6.00 (for frames)

Cheap DIY Decorating Idea #2

Printed Thanksgiving Banner

Again, while on Pinterest, I ended up stumbling upon this blog, which not only provided the direct links to print the letters for the banner, but also gave a step-by-step tutorial. Definitely right up my alley.

All I needed for this project was up some light brown cardstock (6 sheets), and a roll of green ribbon I found on clearance. It took probably a half hour to do and now I have a nice, festive touch added to my kitchen for when we sit down for Thanksgiving dinner.

Total Cost: $5.00 (cardstock and ribbon)

Now, after doing just these two little projects, I’m already itching to get going on some more for Christmas. At this point, I think I better sign up for a Michael’s rewards card or something.

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you consider yourself to be crafty? Do you like doing DIY decorating projects?

(If you have any DIY craft ideas to share for Christmas, feel free to link up!)

1 Khushboo November 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I am not crafty AT ALL but even I think I can manage both of those…thanks for the ideas ! :)
Khushboo recently posted..Put a SOCCA into it

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

aw, cute courtney. i need to decorate my apartment for xmas. i should do it soon before i just put it off altogether- im just so darn tired when i get home from work. i should plan it for an upcoming weekend!

3 Brandi R November 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Can you give me the link for the Thanksgiving collage poster? It is so, so cute. I would love to have it to decorate my classroom. I’m a high school teacher and struggle to find seasonal stuff that isn’t so “little kid” and this is perfect.

4 Courtney November 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I knew it! ha too cute! I don’t consider myself to be crafty, but I’m about to move into my first apartment in January and I have been all over Pinterest http://pinterest.com/catuck/first-apartment/ and there are so many great, easy, and affordable decorating ideas!
Courtney recently posted..Highs, Lows, and Oh Nos!

5 Katie @ Livehalffull November 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

How cute! I LOVE Pintrest! It makes me want to re-decorate and remodel my entire condo. :)

6 Ruthie Hart November 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

amazing!!!!!!!!! I made tons of ornaments last week out of burlap and jute for our tree!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Tuesday Randoms

7 Hope November 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Those are some cute decorations! I love diy things. I’m planning on doing a bunch for my up-coming wedding :)
Hope recently posted..My Big Fat Greek Dinner…

8 Heather November 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm

you should DEF sign up for Michael’s emails – they send COUPONS!!!
Heather recently posted..List Wishing

9 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm

These are all adorable. I lovee decorating!

10 Brigitt November 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I love Pinterest too! I’m fairly crafty but I have two major flaws…. 1) My skills/patience don’t always equal my taste/eye for cute diy things and 2) I’m not able to find the time I need to execute all of the projects on my to-make list!
Brigitt recently posted..In the Swing of Things

11 Kerryne November 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I dream of being crafty. Lucky for me I have two amazingly talented older sisters who invite me to “craft” with them which simply means I get to watch them make ME crafts :) Love it!
Kerryne recently posted..Photo Shoot….

12 Amanda November 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Love this! I have the second print printed, waiting to be put in the frame! Love cheap diy’s! Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

13 Sue November 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Hi there. I love the second print. Where can I find it? Thanks. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!! I hope Cody behaves himself!! :)

14 Courtney November 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm
15 Erica November 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

i am SO NOT crafty, at all! i love looking on pinterest, and seeing all the ideas, but the moment i try to attempt anything crafty, it’s just a big ol’ mess. :(

love your decorations!
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: ceremony & reception

16 Shannon November 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I love those frames and the Thanksgiving banner as well as the Keep Calm sayings. They’re such cute decorations.

I think I can be crafty and creative and can think outside of the box but my mom’s friend is the craftiest person I know!
Shannon recently posted..Random Thoughts

17 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

First, I’m 100% addicted to Pinterest, I love it!
Second, totally random, but I’m loving your curtains, super cute :)
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Sweat

18 Jenny@HealthyMOChick November 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Totally cute!! I’m gunna steal your ideas!
Jenny@HealthyMOChick recently posted..Almost a bad start

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Love those decorations! Pinterest has such cute ideas… I just need more time! Maybe over my Thanksgiving break…
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sweet Potato Soup

20 Brenda November 22, 2011 at 8:43 pm

If you like pintrest, you will love stumble upon. Check it out!