Christmas Tree Issues

by Courtney on November 26, 2011

I swear, the day after Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year!

After I got out of work yesterday, I had to make a quick pit stop to pick up a new Christmas tree. The artificial tree that we already have is actually quite a beautiful tree, but it’s just too big for our living room. So Jay went out earlier in the day and scoped one out that he said looked like it would work. I went out, gave it final approval, and brought our new tree back home.

As soon as I got home, the pumpkins came down and Operation Christmas Decorating began!

It was great; I turned on The Holiday (<—one of my favorite movies of all time), changed into my cozies, and got settled in for a night of decorating. Of course in the midst of it all, we had to stop for some dinner…and a carb-o-licious dinner of leftovers it was.

As a side note, I’m pretty sure that my mom makes the best apple sauce in the entire world. Not that I’m biased or anything, but seriously. It rocks.

I’ve still got to work on some of the other decorations, BUT, the tree is all decorated. Great right?

Wrong.

Because we were big toolbags and in such a rush to decorate it last night that we didn’t notice the string of lights that is out right smack in the middle of the tree.

IMG_0183-1

Jay is currently working on trying to find “the one” light, but so far, no such luck. Wanna know that means? I’m going to have to take down every stinkin’ decoration, return the tree, and redecorate all over again.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that that doesn’t have to happen because if it does, I may need a stiff drink to accompany me with the second round of tree decorating.

On a positive note though, the tree does look pretty good, doesn’t it? Can you spot the creeper in this picture?

Cody absolutely loves being underneath the Christmas tree and I can’t help but smile every time I see him down there. He’s so stinkin’ cute.

Now let’s just hope he doesn’t find his way up and IN the tree like he did last year.

Oy vey.

*****

Workout

This morning, I decided to hit up an early morning BodyPump class, and I’m so glad that I did. The instructor used Release 77 which I now realize is one of my absolute favorite. So many great songs and some tough tracks, too.

After class, I hit the cardio machines and did 20 minutes running on the treadmill + 5 minutes on the StairMaster. Yes, 5 minutes was plenty for me today. Yikes!

Breakfast

My whole ride home from the gym I was craving eggs like it was nobody’s business. So? I made it happen.

I started out with a veggie omelet with green peppers, onions, and tomatoes, but that eventually fell apart and turned into a scramble. Either way, it was still delicious.

On the side, I had a leftover Thanksgiving dinner roll topped with some Peanut Butter & Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB. I’m not sure how I feel about this PB yet; it almost tastes sort of grainy. Has anyone else tried it?

I also sipped on some extra festive coffee with breakfast.

Yum!

It is an absolutely beautiful day today, so we’re planning on putting up the Christmas lights outside, getting a little more work done around the house, baking some cookies, and hopefully NOT redecorating the tree again. Hopefully.

Questions for the Morning:

Do you have any Christmas tree disaster stories?

What are some of your favorite Christmas movies?

1 Bri November 26, 2011 at 10:45 am

The cinnamon raisin peanut butter IS grainy but still so delicious!

2 Miranda @ Miranda's Munchies November 26, 2011 at 10:50 am

I love the holiday!!!! It’s the perfect x-mas movie IMO! I was thinking last night that I needed to watch it. I love the scene when Cameron Diaz is in the store, drinking wine as she shops.. haha! I also think Love Actually is good too!
Your post is so festive… I think it’s put me in a Christmas mood (even the eggs look festive)!

3 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm

What can I say…I’m like a little Christmas Elf :)

4 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign November 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

Ah, that seriously sucks about the tree lights–I would be pissed!

5 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Oh no! I hope Jay is able to find the light that’s causing the problem! That would stink if you had to completely redecorate it! It does look super pretty though :D. I can’t wait until our tree goes up! And the Holiday is one of my favorite movies too!! I absolutely love Cameron Diaz and Jude Law in that movie. I hope you have a great day love!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Bling Bling…

6 JN November 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

Their Mighty Maple is grainy too (but still yummy!) You should try The Peanut Principle’s Cinnamon Raisin, aka Raisin’ the Roof, PB. :)

7 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

Yes!! I need to get another jar of it! I was so bummed when I saw that they weren’t at the Troy Farmers Market anymore once they moved back inside. I guess I’ll have to make a trip out to the store soon. :)

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

if it’s any consolation, you cant tell (at least from the pic) that any lights are out! looks fab to me! hope you find that darn light though :)

i’ve been craving eggs like it’s nobody’s business lately. with ketchup of course!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Thanksgiving

9 Danielle @ Dish n Dash November 26, 2011 at 11:09 am

Every cat I’ve had has always loved hanging out under the Christmas tree! I love decorating the Christmas tree, but unfortunately, I only have a tiny one for my apartment and it takes all of five minutes to put a few ornaments on it. Oh well.

I recently got the cinnamon raising PB and am loving it! I like the texture. I also picked up the white chocolate wonderful but am not a big fan of it; I just can’t get behind ‘white chocolate’ since it isn’t chocolate.

I may have to watch The Holiday today – that and Love Actually are my fave Christmas movies.

Good luck with the lights!
Danielle @ Dish n Dash recently posted..Corny Oatmeal, Pushups and Seamus

10 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

I can’t wait to decorate for Christmas!! Everything look so pretty :D

11 Allison November 26, 2011 at 11:25 am

I am just finishing up my jar of Peanut Butter Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB. I always put cinnamon and raisins on top of my pb & banana English muffins for breakfast, so I thought this would be good. However, it has a really grainy texture and is lacking peanut flavor. So sad :(

12 Brandi November 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

Oh no! That totally stinks about the tree…:( But, it is very pretty…:) The Holiday is on my list of favorite Christmas movies….Love Jude Law! I love Christmas with the Kranks and of course It’s A Wonderful Life. Agh! Cats and Christmas trees! :) My cat (Rocky) loves to chew on the ends of the limbs…apparently it tastes pretty good.
Have an awesome day!!

13 Katie November 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

I’m so sad at the thought of you having to redo your whole tree ~ I hope that doesn’t happen. Good luck!!!
Katie recently posted..thankful november

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

Ugh I hope you get the light issue figured out!! That stinks!

Your cat is so cute. I had a cat when I was young, and he would always try to crawl up the tree, and it usually ended in a complete mess! But you just had to laugh when you saw him! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Thanks-mas Festivities

15 Silvia @ skinny jeans food November 26, 2011 at 11:32 am

You are lucky that Cody is a well-behaved cat UNDERNEATH the christmas tree. Mine love the tree, too, but they try to play ping-pong with the decoration and think it is just one big playtree to fetch stuff of. ;-)

Hopefully, you don’t have to redo the tree! So much work!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Winter holiday vegan saute

16 Maria@La_Piattini November 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

yikes! sorry to hear the strand of lights is out. I hope Jay can find the one and fix it! That pic of Cody in the tree is so cute and funny :)
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Mad Dash to Save Cash

17 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh lawd. That “one light” always does it! Festive coffee?! Have you had Starbucks’ Christmas Blend? Ugh. Magic.

And yes, that pb is totally grainy. My sister j’adore’s it, but I prefer to make my own by stirring in a ton of stevia, cinnamon, and raisins. As I said. Magic.

18 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I don’t think I have tried that one yet??
I’ll be on the lookout though ;)

19 Cait's Plate November 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I love your tree!! We did the exact same thing. As soon as we cleared the pie plates we were putting up the tree!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..All Days

20 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I started putting out decorations today too! I definitely need to run to the store & stock up on a few more things, even though I only have a small apartment to decorate. We’re going to get a real tree, hopefully this weekend or sometime soon!

Fingers crossed you don’t have to take down all of your decorations!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Friday Favorites, Part 2

21 Meghan November 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

The cinnamon raisin peanut butter by PB&Co is my favorite from their line! Definitely grainy and definitely addicting…
I wouldn’t say this is a disaster but when I was really little the beautiful Christmas bulb that my great grandfather had given my father was smashed. I distinctly remember putting my hand on the box and accidentally smashing it, while my sister remembers doing the same. Kind of funny that we both try to fess up to it, my parents always remind us of that story when we are home for the Holiday’s :)

One of my favorite Christmas movies: ELF!
Meghan recently posted..Thanksgiving

22 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ohhhh noooo!!! At least decorating is fun–you just get to experience the fun two times! ;) Also, I LOVE the cinnamon raisin swirl! I think it will grow on you.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Thanksgiving 2011

23 Julie November 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I can’t imagine how frusterating that would be to completely decorate a tree and then have to redecorate it!!! I hope you find the light!

p.s. I love love love The Holiday too, and your eggs look scrumptious! I always put ketchup on mine too. People always pick at me for it, but I swear, once you start, you just can’t stop.

24 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm

The more ketchup on my eggs, the better!

25 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Sounds like a great day you have ahead of you! I can’t wait to get home and decorate, put up our tree, and hang Christmas lights when we get home from AZ with our families. I’m sorry to hear about your Christmas tree frustration! That is really annoying I’m sure.

My favorite Christmas movies have to be Home Alone and Miracle on 34th Street (the newer one). Have a great weekend lady!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Guest Post: Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Casserole

26 Hope November 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love the movie, The Holiday! It’s such a cute one. :) Your Christmas tree looks beautiful!

I love PB & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. It is a little grainy but I think it’s supposed to be like that.
Hope recently posted..A Thanksgiving Recap…

27 Heather November 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

i don’t think I’m putting up a tree this year. Mainly for my fear of Benson climbing it. Or, more so, for my fear of Benson knocking it over while I’m at work all day. Perhaps I may never have a tree again? [the horror!]
Heather recently posted..Simply Saturday

28 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm

NO TREE?!? Are you crazy?!? I love Benson and all but my dear, you need a tree! Even if it’s just a tiny one :)

29 Christina November 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I didn’t care for PB&Co’s Cinnamon Raisin Swirl either; too grainy and the flavor was off. Their White Chocolate Wonderful, now that’s a different story! Yum! And The Holiday is one of my all time favorites! It hits every emotion; it’s funny and sappy and perfect for this season! Your tree looks fab too… :)

30 Shannon November 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Your tree looks so pretty! Hopefully, you won’t have to redecorate it.

When I was little, my brother tipped the Christmas tree over and it landed on top of me. Luckily, I wasn’t injured but we couldn’t say the same for one of Mom’s favorite glass ornaments. Oops. She’s still mad about that today sometimes and that was about 12 years ago!

My favorite Christmas movies are It’s a Wonderful Life (my dad memorized most of the movie after seeing it for his whole life pretty much- it gets annoying sometimes when he recites lines, but other times it’s funny), The Holiday, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. You can never get sick of Charlie Brown.
Shannon recently posted..Black Friday shopping update

31 Liz November 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm

If you can’t find the problem light it might me the plugs that run up the center of the tree. So you might want to check there also as one may not be plugged in all the way or may not be plugged in at all. Just a suggestion :)

Either way your tree looks beautiful!!!!

32 Michelle November 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh no!! We had a similar situation yesterday. My dad and brother checked all of the lights, put them all up outside… and then only half would turn on! My dad was not in much of a Christmas spirit after that :-) Luckily, it’s nice out again today so we are trying again!

33 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Darn- I hope you find that stinking light! …..My cats *love* to be under or IN the tree too. I swear, one day it will just topple over with the two of them in it. Yikes!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Shhhhhh! No talking!

34 Jackie @ That Deep Breath November 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I think the tree looks great! My cat likes hanging out under the Christmas tree too :) We have a couple years worth of pictures with him just lounging under it!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Turkey Day

35 Cindy November 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I agree that the Cinnamon Raisin PB is a bit grainy, but very good! :)
Cindy recently posted..Bullfighting in Spain

36 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I think it might just take some getting used to – the flavor is yummy!

37 Jenn November 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The Holiday is one of my favorite holiday movies too. I love Cameron Diaz & Jude Law. Also love all of Cameron’s cozy outfits in the movie and the English cottage, so cute!

38 Khushboo November 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Home Alone is one of my fave Christmas movies, specially Home Alone 2!!
Khushboo recently posted..Attitude of Gratitude

39 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I LOVE Love Actually and The Holiday :) Sorry about your tree!! If it makes you feel any better, I would have never noticed!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Drama Queen

40 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Haha, I probably wouldn’t have either if Jay didn’t point it out…but once I noticed, it was all I could see!

41 Clare @ SweetnSimple November 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Your tree looks gorgeous! I can’t believe how quick Christmas has come around again.. soo excited :)

42 Camilla November 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm

i can hardly notice it! it looks so pretty :) i love love love the santa clause! merry Christmas!!! :D

43 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Beautiful tree!! And very cute kitty hiding down there. :)
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Some come and go…

44 erica November 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

2 years ago, i wanted a bigger than usual tree (which isn’t really that big, we normally get a little table top…) well, nothing fit. it didn’t fit in the base, it was crooked, we had to saw off branches (with kitchen knives because we had no saws…) it was terrible. lol. now we have a little fake tree. lol
erica recently posted..happy thanksgiving!

45 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh I feeel you! If I had to take down all my Christmas tree decorations I would not be a happy lady. Your tree looks so pretty too!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday – turkeyless edition

46 Candice @ Sailing on Paper November 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry about your tree…I hope you get it figured it out soon! And that veggie omelet looks amazing…
Candice @ Sailing on Paper recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!

47 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance November 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hope you find that “one light” and that everything works out with the tree! :)
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..Honey Cake Recipe

48 Nina November 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

Courtney I was in one of the Chicago airports yesterday and I kept staring at this guy who was on my flight once he got off, and thinking, Hey! I know him from somewhere! It look me a couple minutes but then I realized he was a carbon copy of Jay. Any chance the hubby was flying from Washington D.C. to Chicago last night? Haha :-p If not, he has a twin out there!

49 Courtney November 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hahaha, this is hilarious! Nope, Jay was not flying from D.C. to Chicago yesterday, so it appears as though he has a twin out there! :)

50 Nikki November 27, 2011 at 11:18 am

What a coincidence. I am eating that exact peanut butter now as I read your blog. It’s good but I like it without raisins.

51 Katrina November 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh wow. Cody and my Frankie could swap some war stories. What is it about being UNDER the tree that feline furbabies like? Of course, I torture mine by putting a Santa hat on him and snapping pictures like paparazzi. ;-)

We had the same issue with the lights only ours is one side of the tree. We finally just turned it to the corner with the promise that we would fix it next year. I’m SURE that will happen. :D

52 Amanda November 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

Oooh I LOVE that peanut butter! And the white chocolate one. So delicious.

53 Katie @ Plates and Paste November 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

Can never have enough of National Lampoon’s Christmas!

54 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

cody is seriously TOO cute!