Crunch Time!

by Courtney on February 16, 2012

It’s officially crunch time! The suitcases are out, the lists have been made…and I have yet to pack one stinkin’ thing. Oh boy.

Needless to say, today is definitely going to be another busy one, but thankfully I have the day off from work, so that gives me a little extra time in my day. Let’s see if I actually take advantage of it.

So I don’t know about you, but whenever there’s a vacation coming up, it is officially deemed “clean out the fridge and eat up all the produce” time in the house. We managed to get away with not grocery shopping this week, which was great, and we’re making pretty good job progress on clearing things out.

Last night’s dinner was a perfect example…

IMG_1950

Jay and I each had side salads filled up with whatever veggies were in the drawer. For him, that meant lettuce and red peppers. BORING! For me, that meant lettuce, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, red peppers, and Italian dressing. Still sort of boring, but better than nothin’.

IMG_1952

To go along with my salad, I made another turkey and cheese omelet made with 2 slices deli turkey, 1 wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese, and a generous helping of pineapple salsa.

IMG_1956

For it being a “clean out the fridge” sort of dinner, this meal was actually pretty darn delicious. I followed up dinner with another dessert plate a couple of hours later before calling it a night.

Breakfast

Since I just had eggs for dinner last night, I really wasn’t in the mood for them this morning, so I went with my other go-to option: French Toast Oatmeal.

IMG_1961

Today’s batch included 1/2 a mashed banana mixed in the oats, fresh strawberries (finished those up!), and a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup.

IMG_1967

The syrup was a seriously awesome addition…why did I not think of this before? French toast = syrup, duh! Winking smile

IMG_1965

My coffee, however, was sort of on the ‘meh’ side. I used up the rest of the skim milk yesterday, which meant I had to use almond milk in my coffee which is really not my favorite. I love almond milk in anything and everything else…except for coffee.

IMG_1962

Oh yeah, and Jell-o pudding mix, too. Don’t try it…it doesn’t set very well.

Alright, it’s about time to get down to business! LOTS to do today. Smile

*****

Want some extra reading?

Question for the Morning:

Are there any foods/liquids that you like one way but can’t stand another way?

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

those still look like pretty impressive meals for cleaning out the fridge! nice job! good luck today on getting everything prepped… it’ll all be SO worth it when you get there! i’m just a tad jealous btw. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Vitalicious!

2 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

I usually drink my coffee black but I tried regular almond milk in my coffee once and I wasn’t a fan but putting TJ’s chocolate almond milk in my coffee was one of the best ideas I have ever had, it is soo yummy!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Loved your asthma post on FitFluential. As someone with almost exact symptoms growing up and dealing with asthma all my life but also playing sports and keeping active my whole life, those are great tips. I have emergency inhalers stashed in a million different bags and places so I always have one on hand just in case. I had an asthma attack once when I was 7 that required an epi-pen and that scared me enough to hopefully never have it happen again!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Goat cheese & spinach mashed sweet potatoes

4 Lindsey February 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am the opposite and love almond milk in my coffee and dislike most other milk, I can handle soy but not dairy milk for sure!
Lindsey recently posted..Spur of the Moment

5 Carissa February 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Jell-o pudding mix in coffee??? I agree on the almond milk in coffee. That’s my daily splurge…a large helping of unhealthy creamer in my coffee! It makes me happy in the am!

Have a great trip!
Carissa recently posted..Melting Pot Valentine’s Dinner Date

6 Sue February 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

I think she meant making Jello with the almond milk, not putting the Jello mix in your coffee but I could be wrong.

7 Courtney February 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

Haha, yes, that is what I meant. Making jell-o with almond milk…NOT in my coffee. Yikes! :-)

8 Shannon February 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Great post on asthma and fitness! It was very informative.

I like chocolate and I like peanut butter but I prefer to have them separate in food- except for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I can’t even eat a sundae with peanut butter and chocolate in it without feeling a tad weird.
Shannon recently posted..The good and bad of Super Bowl ads

9 Khushboo February 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

I lovee chickpeas but not in blondies..no thank you! Some things are meant to be enjoyed in their full glory!
Khushboo recently posted..Not so majestic after all

10 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

Onions, I only like them sautteed or carmelized! thats it!
Your salad actually loooks pretty delicious I must say! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..A Day In The Life

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

I wish I had something to clean out my fridge for! ENJOY the heck out of your vacation!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Itty Bitty Blessings

12 Melissa February 16, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love coconut milk in my oatmeal, but not on cereal–it’s gotta be skim with my Special K! I’m also a huge apple fan and love apple pie, but for some reason, cooking them in my oatmeal just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe I’m doing something wrong!
Melissa recently posted..Good Form Running

13 Meg February 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

Well it’s not a liquid but I love bananas in everything – my cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, pancakes, fro yo …. I almost can’t eat any of those things without one but I HATE a banana just on it’s own! I almost dry heave trying to swallow a bite of it by itself, I have no idea why.

14 Mallory @ Have your cake February 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

im with you- dont like almond milk in my coffee at all. love it in everything else tho!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..I Guarantee You Will Laugh

15 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

I always clean out my fridge before going on vacation. I don’t like to waste food, plus it is fun to go shopping and restock with plenty of healthy options when you get back :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Valentine’s Day for Many Days

16 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love carrots, but don’t really care for them when uncooked. It’s weird, but I’ll eat them that way for my health…hummus helps lol

17 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

I actually kind of love the cleaning out the fridge meals. They force you to be creative and make up new meal combos and it allows you to eat more non-traditional dinner foods like omelets!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Cookie Dough Hummus

18 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite February 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

fun! have a great trip! I love those ‘use up the fridge’ meals sometimes – I like starting fresh afterwards :) And in my coffee, I really only drink half and half…so unhealthy :)
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..The Return of the Read

19 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

Some of the best meals come out of those “throw together” dishes. Have a great trip!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightened Up – Chile Egg Casserole

20 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’m not really a picky eater. I’ll eat most things any way!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Soba Noodles with Tofu and Kale

21 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yum! Your meals look good! I love adding maple syrup to oatmeal, it’s the best!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Taco Lasagna

22 Carolyn February 16, 2012 at 11:26 am

I don’t know… I think your salad looks pretty darn good. Sometimes the simple meals are really the best!
Carolyn recently posted..An Active Recovery Day

23 Tara Burner February 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

LOVE bananas
hate banana bread!!!
Tara Burner recently posted..Being Strong & Keep Going Even When You Want To Quit

24 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com February 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

ha! when you said mixing almond milk with pudding mix I had to laugh because i tried that and put the little cups in the freezer for a nice frozen treat. um, they were the worst things ever. the consistency is NOT at all like it is with skim milk and i ended up throwing them all away! like you i HATE wasting food so i was not a happy girl!
good luck packing hun!!!!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..The List

25 Carrie Purchase February 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Milk- I only like Almond Milk ( I used to be lactose intollerant) and I don’t like it by itself. I ony like it to bake with or in shakes or oatmeal.

26 michelle kim February 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

There are some soy milk products that make my coffee cloudy (instead of creamy). My mom says that she noticed it, too, with some of the organic ones. I’m just wondering if it’s something with the temperature of the liquids clashing.
I just use creamer or milk now.
michelle kim recently posted..Good Eats and Bone Density

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I don’t really like almond milk in coffee either. And believe it or not, I don’t like PB&J sandwiches that much!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..socca mexican pizza

28 Valerie @ FreshMutz February 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I only like almost milk in my coffee if I use enough, otherwise it’s just cloudy black coffee to me.

I really like roasted broccoli but hate it raw. Hope you have a wonderful time on vacation!!!!
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..Smoothie Smoothie Doo, Where Are You?

29 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl February 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I don’t like Almond milk in my coffee either. In fact, almond milk heated doesn’t work for me. Love cleaning out the fridge meals for vacation purposes!
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..35 Male Health & Fitness Tumblr Blogs

30 Traci February 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m with you on the almond milk – I love it in smoothies and cereal, but I seriously cannot get behind drinking it in coffee. Ick. It reminds me of muddy water for some reason and so does the taste. I also can’t do skim milk in iced coffee but think it tastes fine in hot coffee or a latte.

31 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Yep! Have to clean out the refrigerator when I go on vacation. :) Oatmeal looks yummy! I am the same way with almond milk. I LOVE it in my smoothies, but not in my cereal or coffee.
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Snack Ideas!

32 Jordan February 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

hey courtney! just wanted to stop in and say hi.. i LOVE your blog.i’ve been reading it for about a month now.. i’m 19 and it wasn’t until this past october that i changed my lifestyle and made exercise and healthy eating a part of my daily life. thank you for writing your blog! it inspires me.. the first thing i do in the morning is eat my breakfast,drink coffee, and catch up on fitness/healthy living blogs!

33 Courtney February 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thanks so much, Jordan! Glad to have you reading – thanks for saying Hi! :)

34 erica February 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

i can do almond milk in smoothies, but not on its own…
i like most styles of eggs but not sunny side up. lol.

and i know it’s not the same “food” but i like real cherries, but i HATE cherry flavored things like candy/popsicles/etc.
erica recently posted..surprise, surprise

35 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I am so jealous of your almost vacation! Sometimes David and I have clean out the fridge weekends and then wish we could go on vacation. haha. As always, your eats look fab.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..All Cabbage is Not Created Equal: Enjoy Some Savoy

36 Ange @ Everyday Desserts February 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Mmmmm… your salad looks delicious!!

37 Emilie February 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I am using up everything in my fridge, mainly because I am just too lazy to go to the grocery store (and because I spend way too much money clothes shopping on the weekend). Great asthma post, I have always had problems breathing when it comes to exercise so I found your tips useful.
Emilie recently posted..Valentines Dinner ♥ Yummy Prawns with Fried Rice & Chocolate Bread Pudding