Help Us Adopt A Classroom

by Courtney on February 29, 2012

Hey there, friends! I’m switching gears a bit this evening, as I have some important information I’d like to share with you guys.

As you probably know, I’m a FitFluential Ambassador, and earlier today while I was browsing through one of our discussion boards, I came across a topic that quickly caught my attention. As it turns out, we, as a FitFluential Team, are going to be participating in the “Adopt A Classroom" program.

The Mission Statement of “Adopt A Classroom” reads as follows:

Adopt-A-Classroom increases opportunity for student success by empowering teachers with community partners and funds to purchase resources for the classroom.

The FitFluential team will be adopting two classrooms in an effort to help them raise funds for books, as well as help raise money for one of the schools which was devastated by a tornado.  As a former elementary school teacher, this is a topic that I not only feel rather strongly about, but I also know about all too well.

When classrooms are lacking in the resources they require, unfortunately, it’s ultimately the kids who suffer most. Many teachers are working day in and day out, with minimal resources at their disposal, to give students the absolute best education that they deserve. It’s certainly not uncommon for a teacher to take a good chunk of his/her paycheck and turn it right back over to items he/she may need for the classroom – often spending an average of $1,200 of their own money every school year – and if you’ve ever been in education (and probably even if you haven’t), you know what I’m talking about.

As a FitFluential Team, we are looking to raise $200 per classroom.

Would we want to raise more than that? You betcha. But it’s going to take a team effort to make it happen, so that’s why I’m bringing this up here, to all of you.

To give you a little background info…

The first classroom that we have adopted is a 5th grade class from Joplin, MO:

Recently, our school was destroyed by a tornado. Everything in the classroom is gone. We are not able to get into the classroom. Next year we will have over 50 3rd graders who will not have a classroom library, supplies, or reading centers/areas. Many have lost their homes and I would love for them to have a safe place to heal and learn.

To read more and/or donate to on this classroom you can go here: http://www.adoptaclassroom.org/classroomdonation/results_teacher.aspx?classroomid=143777

The second classroom we adopted is a 4th grade class located in Dallas, TX:

My students come from low socioeconomic backgrounds. They do not have access to many resources outside of their immediate community. My Students need class sets of novels to read. They also need incentives to reward their efforts. By providing books and incentives I can make sure that all my students have a level playing field.

To read more and/or donate to on this classroom you can go here: http://www.adoptaclassroom.org/classroomdonation/results_teacher.aspx?classroomid=154803

There is certainly no pressure here whatsoever for anyone to make a donation; this is just me passing along some information about something that is very near and dear to my heart. Even though I’m not in the classroom anymore, I’m still very passionate about making sure that students get the best education that they deserve.

I will most definitely be donating to both of the classrooms listed above.

If you care to join me, that would be awesome. Smile

1 Susan@ Happy Hippie February 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This is such a great cause! Thanks for posting about this and bringing awareness. I live about an hour from Joplin, and I can definitely attest to the devastating effects of the tornado on that town. I’m also planning on going into teaching next year and I think that it’s so wonderful that you’re contributing to an educational cause. So many schools are in need of programs like this to help fund them, allowing the children to grow and learn with sufficient resources. Thanks! :)
Susan@ Happy Hippie recently posted..The Good Kind of Busy

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life February 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This is a great program! I have friends who are teachers in NYC and they use the Adopt a Classroom to get help for their classrooms.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Leap Day WIAW

3 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance February 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for posting this – it’s great to spread the word about causes like this! I hope I can help.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..The Paris Wife – and Wine :)

4 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts February 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm

This is so great! I used to be a teacher as well and know firsthand how much of their own money teachers have to use to supplement their classrooms. I am all for helping out! Thank you for posting about this!!
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Leap Day and DMB Love

5 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm

This seems like a great program! And I love the picture drawn by the little kid…the crown is my favorite.
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..WIAW: Cleaning out my Fridge

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I come from a family of teachers and while I am not one myself, I completely understand the need for schools to have the supplies they need and the struggle it can put on the students, teachers and staff when they don’t. This idea to adopt a classroom is so awesome!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie For a Day // What I Ate Part 3

7 Jen O. February 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

What a great idea. We drove through Joplin Mid-July and it was devastating to see everything destroyed. As soon as it’s pay day we will definitely be donating what we can. Thanks for letting us all know about this program!

8 Khushboo February 29, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Sounds like a great program! I can’t believe teachers have to fro out that much of their pay check for classroom resources- not fair at all!
Khushboo recently posted..Quirk it out!

9 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 1, 2012 at 12:29 am

What a great program to give to. I only worked as a personal tutor to a ton of kids during undergrad, so I never had to worry about paying for things (since I was fully reimbursed), but I have friends who are teachers and experience exactly what you mentioned.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Oh You Fancy, Huh?

10 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 1, 2012 at 5:34 am

What a great program! Thanks for letting us know about it, I’ll be making a donation today :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Our Engagement Story

11 Tara Burner March 1, 2012 at 8:44 am

love that we’re doing this…I already made my donation :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Wellness Mat Review

12 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 1, 2012 at 9:28 am

I plan on doing a blog post on this soon! I love this cause!

13 Carissa March 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Great post! I need to put one up about this great cause too. It’s wonderful to hear your personal perspective. We donated to the Dallas school and I can’t wait to see the donations grow!
Carissa recently posted..Seafood at Sunset with SeaBest