They Know How To Lay A Mean Egg

by Courtney on March 16, 2012

Top ‘o the mornin’ to ya! I am sooooo excited it’s finally Friday. I don’t know about you, but this week seemed to take forever to pass, and I’m pretty sure that’s due to the fact that Jay and I have a pretty awesome St. Patty’s Day planned tomorrow.

Good lord, I am a nutcase (circa St. Patty’s Day 2011 in Target). Can you tell we like this holiday or what?

We’ll be heading over to our friends’ Sarah & Jeff’s place for the annual Kegs & Eggs Shenanigans party which, from the sounds of it, is going to be quite a blast. Tonight, I have plans to make a batch of my Overnight French Toast (request by Sarah) some sort of green treat (I’m nixing the Irish Cream cupcakes – I know they won’t get eaten), as well as some “special green jell-o” (wink, wink). Winking smile

*****

By the time I got home last night from wedding dress shopping with Mal, it was already time to make some dinner. I had already known that Jay was working late, meaning I was on my own dinner, which had me immediately craving one thing:

Breakfast for Dinner! Or, shall I say, “Brinner?”

Over the weekend while I was hanging out with the girls, I wound up getting a dozen eggs from my friend Kathryn, who actually raises chickens at her house. I’ve been anticipating these eggs ever since she first got the chickens, so I was super psyched to be able to finally get my hands on some. I’d never had farm fresh eggs like that before!

I used one egg + two egg whites to make one heck of a veggie scramble, complete with a wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese (scrambled right into the eggs), red peppers, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, and fresh spinach. It was probably one of the best scrambles I’ve ever made, and I’m attributing its success all to Kathryn’s chickens. Those bad boys know how to lay a mean egg. Winking smile

On the side, I had a lightly toasted whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and Raspberry Polaner All-Fruit.

Breakfast food is seriously the best, isn’t it?

*****

Workout

This morning, I had an early shift at work, which also allowed me time to get my planned Bootcamp workout in for the day. Today was another round of last Friday’s workout, and I’m not ashamed to say that it was just as hard. Functional Training is no joke!

Breakfast

I was on top of my game last night and was actually thinking ahead, so I put together the beginning stages for a batch of Voluminous Oats.

However, by the time I got home this morning and finished cooking up the oats, I was wayyy too hungry to wait to take pictures, so you get a recycled one today.

Oddly enough, that picture there looks pretty much like an exact replica of today’s- lots of berries, granola, and fluffy oats. Yum!

*****

Hey, guess what? I’ve actually got a Fashion Friday post comin’ atcha this afternoon. It’s been quite a while!

Question for the Morning:

If you could pick any five foods to get fresh from a farm/garden/etc. (not from a store), what would they be?

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 16, 2012 at 9:05 am

My mom grows an awesome garden every year, and I swear everything tastes so much better right from your back yard! Tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, basil, and green peppers are some of my favorites. I am excited to create my own little garden this year now that I have a house!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Beautiful Bride on the Inside and Out

2 Faith @ For the Health of It March 16, 2012 at 9:07 am

No such thing as too much breakfast food – love the breakfast-for-dinner combo!

3 khushboo March 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

Is it weird that I would love to get farm fresh ice cream – just imagine the creaminess of it! Have a great weekend and that St. Patty’s pic of you made me crack up :D
khushboo recently posted..My Current Digs VIII…UAE edition

4 Katie March 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

There’s a dairy farm near me that raises the cows, and makes the ice cream on premises! DELISH! They have a PB&J variety that’s out of this world!

5 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill March 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’ve tried farm fresh eggs before and they are delicious–you can really taste a difference. I love getting local watermelon and strawberries during the summer because they tend to be much sweeter than what you can buy at the grocery store.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..The Huge Mistake I Made at Work

6 Lindsey March 16, 2012 at 9:12 am

Eggs, spinach, carrots, chicken and strawberries.
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

7 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files March 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am SO excited for st pattys day tomorrow! At my school it is one of everyone’s favorite day drink celebrations!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

You can really taste the difference between farm fresh eggs and store bought ones. My boyfriend’s mom has a friend who raises his own chickens and holy Molly when she makes breakfast with those bad boys it’s pretty amazing.
I guess the same kind of goes for almost everything. I know if I go to the farmers market for produce, you can taste the difference.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Awesome Weather WIAW

9 Katie March 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Garden fresh tomatoes are irresistable! Slice them down, sprinkle of coarse salt, and that’s basically what I live off of during steamy summer nights!

I also have a friend who raises bees, and his honey is just incredible. Like nothing you’ve ever tasted from the jolly little supermarket honey bear!

10 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine March 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

I like to buy as many fresh veggies from the farmers market that I can. My favorites are the herbs!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Vegas! More in Depth

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

oh i couldn’t agree more – breakfast food is certainly the BEST! :)
if i could choose any five foods to get fresh, i’d definitely have to go with eggs (like you said, there IS a difference), berries (all kinds!), tomatoes, corn, and sweet potatoes. most of the foods i mentioned aren’t always in the best in the stores, so it’d be nice to be able to get them more fresh. they’re also some of my top favorite produce!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..It’s The Little Things

12 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella March 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

hmmm… definitely eggs. You’re right, they taste much better fresh. My other 4 would have to be apples, oranges, spinach and carrots. All those things taste so good when they’re super fresh! Enyjoy your St. Patty’s Day!!
Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella recently posted..Friday Favorites

13 Carolyn March 16, 2012 at 10:13 am

When I was growing up, we had a neighbor go on vacation and they paid me to collect their chicken’s eggs. It was a very interesting experience. I’ll leave it at that.

My favorite fresh foods are mostly berries. There is something great about a blueberry, blackberry, or raspberry picked right from the plant. I also LOVE fresh green beans and sugar snap peas.
Carolyn recently posted..Happy Friday & A Few Random Thoughts

14 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

I love getting eggs fresh! You can tell they are better by the color of the egg. If you ever want to see the difference, crack a farm fresh egg and a store bought egg and cook them side by side. You’ll be amazed!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Addictive Garlic Parmesan Kale Chips

15 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance March 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

HAHA! That’s a good look for you, Courtney! I might have to hire you to be the entertainment for my nonexistent St. Patricks Day party!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..A to Z

16 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

tomatoes, spinach, basil, cucumbers, and fresh eggs!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Random Time & Nail Polish

17 Claire March 16, 2012 at 11:26 am

I would get
1. Eggs: organic eggs are the BEST. You can taste and smell the difference!
2. Goat’s milk for my dog: she drinks goat’s milk for probiotics since she is on an all raw meat diet (she’s healthier than we are!) She has lost around 15 lbs. since starting her new diet. Keep in mind she’s only supposed to be a 35 lb. dog and she was around 60 when we got her three months ago!
3. Cucumbers: Something about farm fresh cucs is SO GOOD!
4. Herbs and spices
5. POSSIBLY a special treat of grass-fed beef…this would have to be for a holiday or something because I don’t eat meat routinely :-)
Claire recently posted..Brownie Sabotage

18 Anna March 16, 2012 at 11:27 am
19 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

eggs, asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil…My favorites
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Any Excuses

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

Breakfast foods really are the best!!

I’d like to get eggs, milk, and meat from a farm. Especially the meat, considering all the crazy “pink slime” news that has been shared recently!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Where’s all the Fro-Yo?

21 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

lol, your hilarious!!! Have fun tonight!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Healthy Shamrock Shake & Healthy St. Patrick’s Day Recipe Recap

22 Melissa March 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Anything at the farmer’s market is fine by me, but I especially love fresh tomatoes and basil. I’ve never had farm fresh eggs–think I’m missing out!

Enjoy that jello! ;)
Melissa recently posted..It Is Nearly Impossible . . .

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Eggs, potatoes, brussels sprouts, eggplant, squash!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

24 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I think it would so handy to have a garden in my yard with foods I eat almost on a weekly basis: Sweet Potatoes, Spinach, Peppers, Jalepenos, Broccoli & Raspberries

The is only one no wait 2 problems- my dogs Zoey and Neeka….. ha but I love them more than a garden! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Chicken Veggie Rice Bake

25 michelle kim March 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I DEFINITELY want to try farm-fresh eggs! But another one I always enjoy are fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes (especially the cherry/grape tomatoes off the vine). They taste like candy :)
michelle kim recently posted..Productive Thursday

26 Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com March 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Lol!!! love the picture!!

My 5 would be: sweet potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, kale, and blueberries!
Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com recently posted..Pick Yourself Back Up

27 Melissa @ Some Sugar Added March 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm

My parents get fresh eggs from a local farm, and they are so good! I love getting organic fruits and veggies from a farmer’s market by us, they taste so good and fresh.
Melissa @ Some Sugar Added recently posted..Guinness Brownies with Irish Buttercream Frosting

28 Ruthie Hart March 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm

hahaha that picture just made my day!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..March Photo A Day pt. 1

29 Shannon March 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Tomatoes, corn, potatoes, strawberries, and carrots. Those grown in your own backyard instead of buying at the store taste much fresher than the store.
Shannon recently posted..Are we considered ‘pet crazy’?

30 PCS February 13, 2013 at 4:47 am

I loved up to you’ll obtain carried out right here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you would like be delivering the following. unwell for sure come more until now once more since precisely the same just about a lot incessantly within case you shield this increase.

31 Bedia Sultan Gulet April 4, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I have learn some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you put to create this kind of excellent informative web site.