Ham & Pineapple Brown Rice Bowls

by Courtney on April 12, 2012

Hey guys! Before I get into anything else, I first have to comment on a couple of things…

• First, I’m so glad you guys are liking the new circuit workout. If you think about it, that bad boy can give you quite a few different workouts!
  • Second, I think it’s absolutely hilarious that so many of you noticed/commented on the guys’ shirts from last night. Contrary to popular belief, no they did not call each other in advance…plaid is just a rather popular item amongst our men. And to go along with that, our team name for trivia last night was “Toasted Flannel” – (if you see the beer they’re drinking, you’ll get it) courtesy of Yours Truly.

Okay, now that I’ve got those things out of the way…let’s get to the rest of today!

This afternoon, I had plans to meet my friend Linda for lunch, who generously treated me to some delicious Panera.

It was a toss up, but I made the decision to go with the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich. It had been a while since I last had this sandwich, and I’m pretty sure it’s even better than I remember.

Even if the cilantro jalapeño hummus had a little bite to it. Whew!

During lunch, Linda and I had some business to work on; I actually met Linda shortly after I started my training job, and she is just an absolutely incredible woman. While she isn’t one of my clients, I still get the pleasure of talking with her almost every day, and she really had got to be one of the most inspiring women I’ve ever met.

Linda has been on quite an amazing weight-loss journey, and she decided that she is ready to share it with the rest of the world…so she’s decided to start a blog (WOO!). I told her about my blog a few weeks ago, and she’s been reading ever since (Hey, Linda!) so when she asked me if I could help her get started with a few things, I was more than happy to help.

We got through a few things, but there’s definitely still more to be worked on. Once she’s up and ready, I’m definitely going to share it with you guys!

*****

Dinner

Believe it or not, the only grocery shopping I did this week consisted of apples, bananas, and milk. I knew we were going to have a few nights out, and I was also starting to feel like we were getting stocked up on quite a bit of stuff. So tonight, we put together a fun little dish that was not only tasty, but wicked easy to prepare…

Ham & Pineapple Rice Bowls

I actually debated on recreating our Hawaiian pizza tonight, but since we didn’t have the cheese on hand, I had to go another route. Luckily, this route was a good one to take AND quite a bit healthier, too!

Like I said, simple yet super tasty!

While we were prepping the rice bowls, I even managed to whip up a batch of my healthified corn bread…which we totally forgot all about until after we were done eating our rice bowls. Woops.

The corn bread didn’t turn out as great as usual – I didn’t have any applesauce and substituted some plain Greek yogurt instead. It was okay, but I definitely prefer to use the applesauce.

Ahh well…it’s nothing a little peanut butter won’t be able to help with tomorrow.

Or later. Winking smile

I’m off to go catch up on our DVR’d shows from last night!

1 Janae Wise April 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Love pineapple rice bowls. I do a vegan version where I throw in cashews, but I’ve never thought of throwing in spinach! What a great idea.
Janae Wise recently posted..Now You Can Be Inspired Without the Guilt

2 Lauren April 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

What type of bread is that? Whole wheat? I always forget you can sub a different type of bread!

3 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm

It’s their sun-dried tomato. My favorite!

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 12, 2012 at 7:57 pm

That supper looks delicious! I seriously want it now!!!! Those flavors just look like they went together perfectly! Good sub for the pizza…… I also like that it would be pretty quick too! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Words of a With-child Woman- The one with the Trampoline Bladder

5 Tayla @ She'll Be Free April 12, 2012 at 8:16 pm

This looks wonderful…what type of ham steak are you using? because the other day I was looking for some ham and every brand had caramel coloring and added sugar!
Tayla @ She’ll Be Free recently posted..Fight.

6 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm

It was hatfield brand…I didn’t pay too much attention to ingredients so I’m not sure what it had.

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I love their jalapeno hummus! It is so delicious – I always get sides of it for my salads!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..my personality

8 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That is such a good idea!!

9 Lauren April 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

You should try canned pumpkin in your corn bread next time. It;s out of this world!
Lauren recently posted..Hot Off The Shelves

10 Courtney April 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I totally agree…hubs isn’t a fan though.

11 Amanda April 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I have a ton of ham leftover from Easter and have no idea what to do with it! You are so creative!
Amanda recently posted..I Feel Like a Lady Again

12 Leah @ DeLeahLicious April 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for being so wonderful and answering questions about my blog too! :)
Leah @ DeLeahLicious recently posted..Very Veggie Pasta

13 Kalyn April 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I love ham + pineapple anything– this looks great! Also, I had a craving for cornbread earlier today, so I think I’m so glad you posted about your health-ified recipe!

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Mmmm I love that sandwich from Panera, but I always forget it has a bit of a bite to it…haha!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sometimes I do Stupid Things

15 Yellow Haired Girl April 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

This looks great! Pineapple doesn’t get the spotlight nearly enough :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

16 Isa April 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm

your cornbread looks fantastic! I would love to have a piece of that!

17 Jen April 13, 2012 at 12:40 am

I had Panera today too! Crazy!! You’re so creative when it comes to making meals. I love recreating them and adding my own little twist into them sometimes. :)

18 Khushboo April 13, 2012 at 12:56 am

Love that dinner- I’m on a grain kick recently…enjoying them even more so than bread!
Khushboo recently posted..Hey it’s OK…

19 Natasha April 13, 2012 at 12:57 am

that recipe looks wonderful! I’ll need to pick up some ham and pineapple :)
Natasha recently posted..Ouch!

20 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 13, 2012 at 2:28 am

Cornbread is so good, I now have to make some this weekend!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Quite the Friday mix

21 Alyssa April 13, 2012 at 6:10 am

Just found your blog and I love it! I was particularly drawn to the men in plaid because it reminds me of my friend Tom – his entire closet is made up of blue-plaid shirts. It’s hilarious. :)

Looking forward to reading more! xx

22 Sarah April 13, 2012 at 8:08 am

Totally checking out your corn bread recipe right after I post this comment! You know the first time I had corn bread was 2 weeks ago?? Crazy.. I know! I fell in love with it and have not gotten it out of my head ever since :)
Sarah recently posted..Arizona Day 2

23 Katy April 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

I absolutely love Panera! I always get the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich.
Katy recently posted..Calling All Brides!

24 Linda April 13, 2012 at 8:40 am

Courtney – you are simply the most gracious, intelligent and funny girl! Thanks for all your help and I am flattered by your comments.

I am so excited for this phase of my life and thrilled that it has brought me amazing people like YOU!

25 Courtney April 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

You are so very welcome, Linda!
P.S. – Love that you linked up your Facebook page to your comment this time ;)

26 Linda April 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

I have all your notes with me! YAY!

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

Love the dinner idea! Simple dinners really are the best sometimes! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.