The Most Amazing Pasta Fagioli

by Courtney on April 20, 2012

Mmmmm. Last night I had the most amazing pasta fagioli for dinner. Would you like to know the recipe? It’s really quite simple…

All you have to do is call up Testo’s and have them deliver it to you. Winking smile

Yes, Jay and I totally bailed on making dinner last night. I had sort of an annoying afternoon and by the time Jay got home from work, I really just wasn’t feeling the dinner thing. Being the awesome guy that he is, he suggested that we order some take-out and keep it easy, which is exactly what I needed.

I stuck with the appetizer size of the pasta fagioli this time, because the full dinner size is enormous and I totally would have been tempted to eat it all. This way, I had more room for my side of garlic bread…with extra sauce, of course.

And a couple bites that I managed to snag from Jay’s baked cavatelli. Holy.crap.

After dinner, I got to work on finishing up a special request from Jay’s co-workers…

I got word yesterday that it’s “been too long” since I last sent in some cupcakes for the boys (they sure do love their goodies) so I figured I’d whip up a quick batch.

The cupcakes themselves actually came from a box (Duncan Hines Apple Caramel) but the frosting was one of the best batches I’ve ever made.

(*If you want to know how I decorate my cupcakes, check out my “How To Frost Cupcakes” Vlog*)

I used my normal Vanilla Buttercream frosting recipe, but for the first time, I tried out some of the Mexican Vanilla I bought while in Mexico. That stuff took my frosting to a whole other level.

And lucky for us, there just so happened to be two extra cupcakes…

Perfect dessert. Smile

*****

Breakfast

I had a couple of clients to train this morning and my usual Clif Z Bar did not hold me over so well, so as soon as I got back home I put together the quickest breakfast I could think of…

A cereal combo made with Special K Protein Plus (finally finished the box) Cascadian Farms Honey Nut O’s, strawberries, blueberries, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I’ve got a few things to take care of this morning before heading out for a doctor’s appointment a little later, so I’ll be sure to announce the winner of the Naturalizer Shoe Giveaway this afternoon. Be on the lookout!

Question for the Morning: What do you like best?

• Cupcakes: the cake or the frosting?
  • Pizza: the sauce, the crust, or the cheese?
  • Ice Cream/Fro-Yo: the ice cream or the toppings?

1 Linda April 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

Jay and I were on the same wave length last night and since Quintessence is having their big sale until May 1st, we head down to Albany and treated ourselves.

I was pretty happy and amazed that I kept it healthy AND I enjoyed it. (Love the body changing).

Cupcakes – the frosting.
Pizza – the cheese (cheese is like crack to me)
Ice cream – the ice cream

Utopia – Cheese Cupcakes with Ice Cream frosting…. which I do not eat.

2 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets April 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hahah love this! For me it’s… the frosting (sweet tooth!), the point where the pizza meets the crust & there is the perfect amount of crunch (specific, I know) + the ice cream itself.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..When life gives you lemons…

3 Khushboo April 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

I might be alone in my answers but my preferences are cake , sauce and fro yo/ice cream! Mmm I ammajorly craving fro yo now!
Khushboo recently posted..Nam-as-tay, homies…

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

You can’t make me choose!! I love the cake part of a cupcake, but it’s gotta have lots of frosting with it … so I guess the frosting??

And I love every part of the pizza. I refuse to choose on that one. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pure randomness … just because.

5 Yellow Haired Girl April 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

Cupcakes – the cake, usually. I’m particular about frosting … too sweet is not my forte.

Pizza – cheese, baby. I don’t even need the crust and sauce. Give me a platter of baked cheese ;)

Fro-Yo – the topping. For suuuuuure. That’s the fun!

That pasta dish looks phenomenal! I’m going for pasta tonight, I hope it can compete with that!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Nervous Nellie

6 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

The fagoli looks amazing and I would love to get my hands on some of those cupcakes!! Yum!!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Choco Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

7 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

I honestly am not a fan of icing but I love the cupcake! And fro-yo…. All about the toppings!! UFO light on the actual fro-to just so I can load up on the goodness!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: Gimmie more Veggies!

8 Aimee M April 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

For me, it’s the cake, the crust, and the toppings!

9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

I actually prefer the cupcake! I’m really picky about frosting (even though I have a major sweet tooth!

10 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl April 20, 2012 at 10:35 am

I still can’t get my frosting to look that pretty. In time. ;)

Cupcake – both!
Pizza – the crust, I love bread.
Ice Cream/Froyo – definitely the ice cream/froyo! Toppings are not required. I’ll eat it right out of the container if I have to. :P
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Tacos and Beer

11 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

cupcakes – def the cake for me, but i do like a GOOD homemade frosting to go with it! :)
Pizza – love the crust
froyo – toppings for sure!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Random Time! – Yes I Live Here, Fun Website, &Secret Job Perks

12 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

Your cupcakes always look amazing! I’m definitely a frosting girl and as for pizza, extra cheese please!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Quinoa Burgers and ’90s Boy Bands

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

oh boy, these are some tough questions today. :)
cake or frosting? this is the only one i could answer easily… i’m all about the frosting!! in fact, i usually just eat the frosting with a little of the cake and leave most of the cake unless it’s super good.
pizza – sauce, crust, or cheese? i think it definitely takes all three to make quality pizza, but the crust is certainly my favorite if it’s GOOD crust. i mean good by being doughy and and thick!
ice cream – toppings or ice cream? tough tough call. i’d have to go with the ice cream though.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Friday [Low Intensity Exercise] Favorites

14 briana April 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

The frosting, the crust dipped in sauce and froyo with toppings!

15 Kate April 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

Oh man you had me so excited for a pasta fagiole recipe, but sometimes I guess it’s just best to go with the pros. I think you’ve inspired me for lunch!
Kate recently posted..Friday Favorites- 4/20

16 Bethany April 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

Cupcakes: The Cake
Pizza: The Crust
Ice Cream/Fro-Yo: The Toppings

17 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’ll take the frosting, cheese, & toppings, please! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 9

18 Lindsey April 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

Cake – I am picky with icing and frostings.
Pizza – crust girl here :)
Ice cream/fro-yo – toppings!
Lindsey recently posted..Current Obsessions

19 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

always the frosting for me! I think its the best part!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Pasta with Chicken, Zucchini, Tomatoes, and Basil

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 20, 2012 at 11:42 am

frosting, crust, and I couldn’t imagine one without the other…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Cross Training For Runners

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Cupcakes: the cake or the frosting? — FROSTING! :)
Pizza: the sauce, the crust, or the cheese? — Generally the crust, but that depends on the pizza
Ice Cream/Fro-Yo: the ice cream or the toppings? — Can I say BOTH? ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

22 Kim @ The Family Practice April 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love Mexican vanilla! We bought a gigantic bottle – that stuff lasts forever!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Rude Awakening

23 Haley April 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Cupcakes: Frosting for sure! I could eat so much of that stuff! I’ve never made my own though, so I’m going to try to do that soon!

Pizza: It’s pizza so it has to be everything! I don’t even consider the crust, sauce, or cheese separate haha

Ice Cream/Fro Yo: Definitely the Ice Cream/Fro Yo! This makes me want some haha I gotta get some frozen yogurt tonight!

24 Krista @ Healthy Berg April 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m currently drooling over Jay’s dinner and those cupcakes!

cupcakes – frosting
pizza – crust (preferrably with cheese)
ice cream – I can’t choose — the toppings most definitely have to be mixed into the ice cream :)
Krista @ Healthy Berg recently posted..Weight Loss Recap: Week One

25 Erin April 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Frosting! The cake is just the base for it to rest on.

Cheese on pizza…drool

I love both the fro yo and toppings…but I like to eat them separately!

26 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

With the Fro-Yo I Love the yogurt itself! I had this lemon flavor a few months ago that just too good to put any toppings on it!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Male vs Female Lifts

27 laura. S April 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Cupcakes= cake part
pizza= cheese
Fro-yo= toppings (im scarfing down a cup with m &ms right now haha

28 Steph @ StephSnacks April 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’d have to say frosting, cheese, and toppings! ( Seems I like all toppings ;) )
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW: Nut Butter Time

29 Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

frosting, crust, toppings :) those cupcakes look amazing!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..dining table and toning moves

30 Melissa April 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Frosting, crust, toppings.

And ALWAYS extra sauce with the garlic bread. YUM! Hope today is better than yesterday! :)
Melissa recently posted..News

31 Michelle@Peachy Palate April 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Pizza crust, Icing but only if it’s chocolate or lemon otherwise the cupcake and the vegan version of ice cream :) (though it wouldn’t be the same without toppings!)
Happy Friday missus, hope you have a nice weekend planned!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Match made in heaven

32 Crystal C. April 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yay! I am so glad you finally tried the mexican vanilla! I told you that stuff was awesome! My grandma is in Cabo right now and I have her bringing me back a liter bottle of the fantastic stuff. I easily go through a liter bottle a year. I use it in anything I can! It is fantastic! I am making some chocolate cupcake this weekend and I plan on using my finger to get every last bit of frosting out of the bowl. I LOVE good frosting. I have pizza last night for dinner and honestly I love it all. And I would say the ice cream/froyo part is my favorite!

33 Lisa April 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I love frosting. I could seriously go without cake, just leave me the frosting and I’m good to go. Pizza the sauce is definitely my favourite and ice cream. Mm, now I’m super hungry. Your take out looks delicious too!
Lisa recently posted..Fun Fitness Friday

34 Shannon April 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Cupcakes: the frosting
Pizza: the sauce or crust-it’s a tie. The cheese is OK, but not as good as the sauce.
Ice Cream/Fro Yo: ice cream + toppings both; I can’t decide on that one! :)

I want those cupcakes…the frosting looks deeeelicious.
Shannon recently posted..Election nerves

35 Ashley April 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

frosting!
the crust! (though dipped in TONS of sauce)
and duh–the toppings make it!
:-)