A Healthier Pizza Alternative?

by Courtney on April 26, 2012

There’s an exciting new purchase that made its way into our house this evening…Cody, on the other hand would beg to differ.

We got ourselves a brand-spankin’ new vacuum for up in here, folks. Talk about one of the most boring but necessary purchases ever EXCITEMENT!

Ohh, the joys of being an adult.

The vacuum we’ve had has basically just been pushing around all of Cody’s hair and dirt in the house, so it was about time to muster up a few pennies and invest in a new one. Thankfully Jay took on the role of researching a new one, and ended up buying this Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro.

He was actually pretty funny as he was telling me his story about the decision to buy the PRO over the regular. He’s pretty certain that we’ve got ourselves one bad-ass vacuum; judging by the insanely gross amount of cat hair it picked up, I’d tend to have to agree with him on that. Winking smile

*****

Eats for today haven’t been anything too crazy, but they have all managed to hit the spot.

Lunch this afternoon consisted of some fresh veggies and a couple of Wasa crackers topped with egg whites, provolone cheese, and raspberry jam. It might sound like a weird combo, but it’s actually pretty stinkin’ awesome.

Lunch also concluded with a couple of banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to satisfy the sweet tooth.

I was on my own for dinner tonight and honestly had zero desire, again, to put much effort into making something. I scoped out the fridge and saw that we still had a little bit of homemade sauce leftover in the container from making our chicken parmesan burgers, so I decided to put it to use by making…pizza!

We also happened to have one remaining whole wheat pita left over from last Wednesday’s dinner, so I quickly toasted that, topped it with the sauce, mozzarella cheese, steamed spinach, peppers, onions, and a few slices of a chicken sausage chunk that was leftover in the sauce, and popped it under the broiler just until the cheese melted.

While that cooked away, I also ate the other two homemade meatballs that were in the container, too. I <3 homemade sauce and meatballs.

Ya know, I’ll tell ya…for this being a makeshift pizza, it was actually pretty darn good.

A healthier pizza alternative? Yes, please!

Tonight, I think it’s time to curl up with my book…I haven’t had a chance to crack it open since Sunday.

1 Sana April 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hhahaha you are officially a grown-up!

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 26, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love pita pizzas – so easy! And a good vacuum is definitely necessary – when we finally got a good one I was amazed at the difference!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet Potato Chili

3 Liz @ Blog is the New Black April 26, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ummmm yea, totally bumming we didn’t get the shark steamer from my wedding registry yet! I heart appliances. :)
Liz @ Blog is the New Black recently posted..Knock You Naked Brownies

4 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess April 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The pizza looks delish!! My husband is always bugging me abouy pizza i will have to try this out!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..New Recipe: Dark chocolate Dreams Cookies

5 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 26, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Oh gosh- the adult purchases in life. They make me feel so darn old! ……Yumm! I’d go for your dinner!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter (*Almond Joy Almond Butter*)

6 Becca April 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Haha I am obsessed with our Dyson! I love to vacuum. I might be a little odd but I love clean floors :) Dinner looks delicious.
Becca recently posted..Vacation On The Brain

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I just had a pizza on a brown rice tortilla for dinner! Great minds…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts and a Book Thief

8 Angela April 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Pita pizzas are my favorite! Need to get some more pitas though. :) And that vacuum looks awesome!
Angela recently posted..Liquid Rejuvenation

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 26, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I have a smaller Shark Vac that I use to do a quick once-over our carpet or kitchen/bathroom floors!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..OXO Giveaway Winner!

10 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling April 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love making pizzas on flatout wraps or pitas. They take no time at all, and can be so much healthier!
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..The Day I Met Bethenny Frankel

11 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

My roommate got us a new vacuum in college and we were SO excited to see it in action – two of us had dogs and it was amazing (and kind of gross) seeing how much fur was in the carpet.
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Happy Pretzel Day!

12 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third April 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Pita pizzas are my go-to dinner when my husband is gone too! Easy and delicious!
And I totally understand the excitement that comes along with a new vacuum. I get wayyyyy to excited for a clean floor.
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Wedding Recap: The Wedding Day

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Pita/flatbread/English muffin pizzas are my go-to dinners when Brandon isn’t home. So easy and so yummy! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Poblano, mango, and black bean quesadillas … and more fro-yo.

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Ugh, our vacuum stinks – and it’s only two years old! I love getting new things like that!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..clean no bake dough balls

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Ugh…this totally reminded me about how I need to buy a new vacuum. :( haha
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..There’s a First Time for Everything

16 Khushboo April 26, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hahah oh I can’t wait to be a grown up :)
Khushboo recently posted..Impossible Is Nothing: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I 100% get the vacuum excitement. I need a new one so badly!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli

18 Michelle April 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I made a batch of your banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies they are delicious. as a matter of fact i just had one =) great recipe!

19 Lisa April 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Oh man, I think I hate vacuuming more than the laundry! It’s so tedious. I love making healthier pizzas on pitas or tortillas, I mean they clearly don’t taste the same, but great alternative
Lisa recently posted..Cheesy Balls

20 Clare April 27, 2012 at 2:31 am

Pizza is SUCH a great go-to meal, yours looks deeeelicious!
Clare recently posted..Chocolate Breakfast Pudding

21 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 27, 2012 at 7:47 am

This is such a great idea for pizza! In the summer like making grilled pizza on Flat Out wraps. They make for a great crispy makeshift pizza too :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..End Of April Favorites…

22 Linz @ Itz Linz April 27, 2012 at 8:28 am

we never make our own pizza but i’ve got to try this make it on a wrap thing!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Planning Your Workouts

23 Linda April 27, 2012 at 9:00 am

Years ago I got the pizza from wrap idea from “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy”, remember that show?

I never tried it until I started this journey and I loved them.

Just a brush of olive oil on a flat wheat wrap and a touch of sauce and then veggies and feta cheese then a quick run in the oven – TADA! I am a big fan of thin crust pizza.

24 Courtney April 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh wow, I DO remember that shoe! Oh Carson…

25 Renee April 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

Ha! Poor Cody! The pizza looks great.
Renee recently posted..Healthy Butterscotch Breakfast Muffins

26 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 27, 2012 at 10:12 am

I love Wasa crackers for almost anything – great for tuna melts and egg salad, too! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Friday Five & A List of Lessons