Low-Fat Banana Bread

by Courtney on May 22, 2012

So this morning, I mentioned the fact that I set out on a little baking experiment. I also told you that you may or may not wind up seeing the end results of this experiment.

Well……

It definitely turned out good enough to share! Smile

The biggest thing I experimented with in this recipe was the use of NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend in place of sugar. Using the NuNaturals resulted in a less dense bread, but it also didn’t give as much of that “spongy” taste and texture as some low-fat recipes often have.

*Edited to add: The best price I’ve seen for the NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend is on iHerb.com for $5.74. You can purchase it by clicking HERE (<–affiliate code, yo), and FYI, don’t forget to use my coupon code – SAZ564 – for $5.00 off!)

Overall, it’s definitely a winner for me, and I think it will be for you, too. I bet it’d be good with some chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts mixed in, but today I was really just feelin’ it plain.

Although, it is especially yummy served with a little peanut butter…

but then again, what isn’t?

Low-Fat Banana Bread

*****

Here’s the Nutrition Stats…

banana bread

Not too shabby, right?

Hey, with stats like those, feel free to be a little more generous with the peanut butter. Winking smile

1 Alex May 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Banana bread is one of my favorites! Low-fat,, even better! Looking forward to trying it out. Can you get nunaturals at any grocery store?

2 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never seen it at my local grocery store, but I’m pretty sure some specialty stores carry it. I get mine from iHerb.com for $5.74. http://www.iherb.com/NuNaturals-More-Fiber-Stevia-Baking-Blend-14-11-oz-400-g/15498

3 Alex May 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to ordering some.
Alex recently posted..Intervals, Chest, and Abs

4 Katrina @ 'Sota is Sexy May 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Yumm! We have a TON of leftover bananas right now, so I probably have enough to make 3 or 4 loaves :) Where do you purchase the NuNaturals baking blend?
Katrina @ ‘Sota is Sexy recently posted..Attack of the clones

5 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’ve only gotten mine online. The best price I’ve seen for the NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend is on iHerb.com for $5.74. http://www.iherb.com/NuNaturals-More-Fiber-Stevia-Baking-Blend-14-11-oz-400-g/15498

6 Megan@ The Running Doc May 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Wow, that looks so good for being low fat, and even better with the peanut butter! The next time I have some too ripe bananas I need to remember this recipe. And if I’m feeling extra adventerous I might try using some different flours to make it gluten free so my boyfriend could have some!

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm

looks great! i’m all about more peanut butter! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Playground Workout

8 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine May 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm

The nutrition stats are pretty good! This is a great idea for breakfast
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..“I DIE!”

9 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Love the nutritional stats, and it looks delicious! Where do you purchase the blend?
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Sweats and Sushi

10 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

11 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Courtney :)
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Sweats and Sushi

12 Khushboo May 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I like the way you think, my friend: less fat in cake = more peanut butter…all about the balance right ;)

13 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This sounds like a great recipe…I’m with ya…I love making healthier banana bread so I can load it up with butter or PB when I slice it. Balance! ha ha.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Choose Fit Series: Eating Healthier

14 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Looks delicious! I love banana bread -especially if the banana isn’t completely mixed in and it’s a little mushy :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Quick and Delicious Mexican Tortilla Pizzas

15 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I never thought I would hear those words come out of anyone’s mouth! LOW. FAT. BANANA. BREAD?? Sold. I can’t wait to try and recreate this little masterpiece! :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Win Or Lose, We Still Booze

16 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

This looks great! I need to find that baking blend…. Is it at regular food stores or do I have to get it someplace special??

17 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess May 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This will definately be getting made asap!! I have bern on vacation for a week and have missed my pb and banana combo!! Yum

18 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

MMM this looks crazy good! I love banana bread, and the fact that this one is low fat is even better! I am going to have to try it soon : )
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Classic Mexican Cuisine

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yum! I’m a huge sucker for banana bread. Especially when chocolate chips are added into the mix. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)

20 Lisa May 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I love banana bread. I’ve been experimenting with some different recipes, and my sister gets to be the lucky taste tester :) I like how you think, less fat more peanut butter after!
Lisa recently posted..Ten Things Tuesday

21 Kristen May 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm

That looks delicious! I think I’ll have to try making that this week. I love banana bread!
Kristen recently posted..A mud race, a tricycle and a tantrum

22 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family May 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I am not really for artificial sweeteners but have heard good things about nunaturals stevia. I know stevia is a plant so people say its “natural” but there are lots of posionous toxic plants out there so just because its a plant, it doesnt make me feel like its automatically good for you. Looks like a good recipe though, I LOVE banana bread!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..A Semi-Homemade Ice Cream Weekend

23 Amy @ InspiredAmy May 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh my yumm! Peanut butter and bananas = an award winning combo
Amy @ InspiredAmy recently posted..What I Munched on Monday

24 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I need to put in another iHerb order— PB2 is running really low!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Holy Ouch! ….Week 24 & 25…

25 Danielle May 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

This looks so good but I never understand how one can get 12 servings from banana bread…I get 8 tops:(

26 Alysha @Shesontherun May 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I love lightening up banana bread using applesauce. Then I don’t feel guilty having a little more :)
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Weekend Update

27 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm

looks so good! I love banana bread, but for some reason I never get around to making it…
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..30 minute uphill climb

28 Katy May 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Love the recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Katy recently posted..A Facelift

29 Ashleen Moreen May 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Low Fat Banana Bread looks healthy and delicious! There are breads that consists many fats which is not good for the body. By the way, thanks for the recipe and I love to give it a try.
Ashleen Moreen recently posted..check this out

30 Miz May 23, 2012 at 5:52 am

ooooh and we DO LOVE us some Justins!!
Miz recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Misfit Meets Sculpture edition.

31 Jaren @ Kiwi Fit Blog May 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Wow that banana bread looks delicious! My Dad is addicted so I’ll have to try out this recipe on him!! Apple sauce Ipis so great for making baking recipes healthier!
Jaren @ Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #3

32 Amber June 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Do you think I could use Stevia granulated instead of the NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend?

33 Courtney June 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’m sure that any sort of sugar/sugar substitute would work fine

34 Stevi June 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Do you think it would still taste alright if I were to replace the butter with extra applesauce or something of that nature?

35 Courtney June 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I think the texture would definitely be different, but if you like the taste of fat-free baking then it could possibly work.

36 Carly July 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I know you said in one post that the NuNaturals Fiber Blend was hurting your stomach (I have a pretty sensitive stomach too) so I was wondering did you just sub white sugar out for it in your future batches?
Carly recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals: June!

37 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Yes, I just stick with the real stuff now. I’d rather take the extra calories over the extreme discomfort from the fake stuff!

38 Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters July 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I just made this bread for Fourth of July and it smells SO delicious out of the oven (and that batter tasted pretty dang good!)

I bet my family will love it- thanks for the recipe :)

39 Val July 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I have this in the over right now. However I’m making muffins instead of bread!
Val recently posted..Fave Beauty Buys: Nail polish