Hawaiian Chicken Burgers

by Courtney on May 30, 2012

Alright, I think we are officially on a chicken burger kick in this house.

Remember on Friday when I briefly mentioned the fact that we had some burgers for dinner?

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (11)

Yeah. Well lets talk about those burgers.

Although it’s been well over a year since I’ve last been to a Red Robin restaurant, I still have very fond memories of that place. Their burgers are great, the atmosphere was always pretty fun, and don’t even get me started on that bottomless basket of fries.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (6)

But one particular sandwich of theirs, the Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich, was always a favorite of mine. Grilled chicken, smothered in Swiss cheese, with grilled pineapple? I mean, you really can’t go wrong. But you can make it healthier, AND at home!

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers

So when it came down to my next attempt with chicken burger creations, I was determined to recreate my own version of this delicious, mouthwatering combo…

And that’s when these were born.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (8)

***************

First, get all of your chicken burger ingredients together.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (2)

Mix well until thoroughly combined.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (3)

Form into four patties (*placing on wax paper will help prevent extra sticking) and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (4)

Don’t forget to create that well in the center…it will help prevent your burger from cooking up into a big puff ball.

While burgers are cooking, grill a few slices of pineapple and red onion. Top cooked burgers with Swiss cheese and allow to melt while toasting your hamburger buns (*I definitely recommend doing this step!).

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (5)

Spread buns with extra bbq sauce, top with burger, grilled pineapple, grilled red onion, and a few slices of romaine lettuce. Done and DONE.

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (7)

Here’s the approximate stats on the burgers, NOT including the bun or toppings…

Hawaiian Chicken Burger Nutrition Info

We served our burgers with some garlicky green beans and corn on the cob, and let me tell you…

Hawaiian Chicken Burgers (10)

This was one heck of a meal. Jay and I both totally loved this combo of flavors and there’s no doubt that these will remain in the dinner rotation this summer…along with our other recent chicken burger creations:

I’ve already got some ideas for other ones…we’ll have to see how it goes!

1 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm

oh, holy yum. I don’t like chicken in its original form. I don’t mind it if it’s ground. This looks amazing.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Darlin, Dumplin, Delinquent.

2 stacey May 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm

wow, those look great!!! and i havent been to Red Robin in about 10 years …. the last time i was there my chicken breast sandwich was RAW in the middle and i was completely grossed out! :/

3 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson May 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm

These look AMAZING! And you’re timing for the post couldn’t be better. I am literally about to make our dinner menu for the month and these will be going on the menu. Thank you SO much and I can’t wait to try them!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

4 Annie May 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I have been craving a sweet burger like nobody’s business. This recipe came in just in time!

5 Megan@ The Running Doc May 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’ve never tried the combo of a burger with something sweet like pineapple, might have to give this a try. And Red Robin’s fries are SO good :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Best.Gift.Ever.

6 robfiasco @ run2thehills May 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm

i would have to say my laptop. but only if the internet could come too.

I was without power for a few days during a hurricane and it wasn’t fun. well, except for the day drinking and bbq-ing we did. but i didn’t care for the quiet extremely hot nights.

7 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

The sweet grilled pineapple with the savory burger sounds like such a great match! I can’t wait to try them!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Wiping the Plate Clean

8 Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I loved Red Robin as a kid – your burgers look great. I love BBQ chicken sandwiches, so I think I’d love them as a burger too! We had pineapple on some jerk-flavoured beef burgers the other day and it was fantastic. The sweetness is such a nice addition!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Fit Body, Fit Mind: Heather

9 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I worked at red robin for 4+ years of my life so I am waaaayyy to familiar with their burgers (and bottomless fries!). I love how your chicken mixture always looks like a work of art:)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Garlic Scapes: My New Best Friend

10 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I am a HUGE pineapple lover. All I have to say is yes, please!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) #7

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I am loving these chicken burgers ideas!! As soon as we move into our new house and get a grill, these are getting made! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

12 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Come cook dinner for me…

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I LOVE pineapple- pretty sure I would gobble this up happily!! :) Looks delicious!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Don’t wake me! …26 weeks

14 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

mmm I love grilled pineapple these look delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-A cool Sushi experience

15 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre May 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m loving all of your chicken burger creations. I need to start taking advantage of the grill more often!
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..WIAW: Rainbow Minus the Blue

16 Angela May 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Mmmm bottomless steak fries at Red Robin are the best! Sometimes I like them better than the burger, but not this time–the teriyaki burger is my favorite! I will definitely be making this soon. Thanks for the recipe!

17 Stacey May 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Frekn awesome! Just had a chicken parm burger for lunch! Love ur burger recipes! Xoxoxo

18 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm

looks super yummy!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..i’m back!

19 Sana May 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm

You make the best looking chicken burgers! I am going to make both recipes!
Sana recently posted..What Makes You Refreshingly Different? {GIVEAWAY}

20 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee May 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love Red Robin! We don’t have them here in Ottawa but I do go a few times a year when I’m in Syracuse. Their veggie burgers are so good :)
Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee recently posted..BodyCombat Kicked my Booty

21 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’m loving all of your chicken burger creations lately! I am totally trying out this burger! My fiance and I would love it! :)

I love Red Robin! I was just there last weekend. Those fries are dangerous ;)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Floral Sneak Peek, Tuxedos, and A DIY Sneak Peek..

22 Michelle (Better with Berries) May 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I LOVE chicken with pineapple! These look amazing!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW: A Wedding and The Lake

23 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess May 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Wow this is a super tasty sounding recipe! It’s something I know my hubby will really enjoy too.
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..WIAW: Dining Out

24 Amy @ Inspired Amy May 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Ahh those look so delish! I love the way [this may sound wierd buut] you just edited the photos to show all the ingredients in the bowl, it looks really good!

25 Ellie@Fit for the Soul May 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

You’re seriously making me sooo hungry! That looks like a great recipe, and I just love it when restaurant re-creations are a success!!! Love your pics here btw! With all the ingredients separated nicely in the bowl. :) oh! haha. just realized amy above my comment said the same thing
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Semi-Healthy Living Counts Too

26 Dawn R. Johnson May 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Chicken burgers i want to try it .It looks so delicious .I want more recipe.
Dawn R. Johnson recently posted..venapro review

27 Jes May 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

These look sooo yummy! I’m usually not a big fan of ground chicken, but I think I’ll have to give these a try! Thanks!
Jes recently posted..Makeup, Schmakeup. Or, why cosmetics commercials make me want to puke.

28 Shauna May 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Holy Yum Batman! Thankfully I thawed out some ground chicken last night so I can make these bad boys tonight :)

29 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm

yum!! we’ve been on a burger kick lately too… i will have to add this one to our rotation we have going on. i also want to try your chicken caesar one! oh, and i have so many great memories of red robin too… love that place. in high school, my two best girlfriends and i would go there all.the.time. we’d get their strawberry lemonade and totally take advantage of the unlimited refills. i can’t imagine how much sugar is in that stuff! mmm so good! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #36: New Creations

30 Michelle@Peachy Palate May 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Even though I’m vegan they sound good, I shall be making a tofu version!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..And here we are again…

31 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’m obsessed with chicken burgers! I never thought about adding pineapple chunks though! Interesting flavor, I bet it gives it a nice kick. Yum :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award

32 mandee May 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm

i made your chicken caesar burgers last week! so good! i honestly even think they tasted better the next day.
mandee recently posted..Dark Chocolate Raspberry Kiss Cakes

33 Courtney May 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I agree! They are great the next day, aren’t they?!?

34 Jolynn May 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

YUM! These sound soo good! Definitely pinning to make sometime!
Jolynn recently posted..Almond Flour Protein Pancakes

35 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Sounds great, I love grilled pineapple on my burgers!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Hawaiian Favorite – Spam Musubi

36 Alysha @Shesontherun May 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I’ve never been to Red Robin. I’m not too hip on a $10 hamburger. I’m much more likely to make them at home.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter: My New Obsession

37 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Oh my goodness; these look so, SO good!!!

38 Katy May 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Wow! That looks amazing. I’m saving this one!!
Katy recently posted..Perfect Pink Pants and Summer Running

39 Caryln @ carylnrambles May 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I must make this soon! When I was little my dad would take me to Backyard Burger (I’m pretty sure they are all shut down now) and I would always get the Hawaiian Chicken Sandwhich
Caryln @ carylnrambles recently posted..Chickpea and Green Apple Salad with Dijon Dressing

40 Katy May 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Yet another recipe I need to try ASAP! What has been your favorite burger creation so far?
Katy recently posted..WIAW: Food and Cocktails

41 Courtney May 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm

It’s a VERY close tie between these and the chicken parm ones. :)

42 Jen June 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

Ive printed like 4 of your recipes today! Thanks for sharing they all look so good!

43 Courtney June 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

That’s awesome, Jen! Hope you enjoy them all! :)

44 Talking Thirty June 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Wow, I don’t think I would have ever thought to make a chicken burger, but this looks and sounds so amazing, I’m adding it to my recipe binder RIGHT now. Thanks for sharing.
Talking Thirty recently posted..Ridding my life of guilt and regret

45 Holly June 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I made these tonight & they were definitely a hit! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

46 Holly June 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I plan on making these again so I just linked the website for the recipe to my weekly meal plan!
Holly recently posted..Sunday Reflection & Weekly Menu

47 Caitlin June 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Me and my husband made these the other night and they were really good! We had a few issues with stickiness though.

48 Lindsay July 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I just made these. The flavors were really good. but this was a MESSY endeavor. I must have done something wrong. They fell apart when I tried to flip them and were almost mushy-like once on the bun. But like I said, they were tasty nonetheless and we had no problem finishing all four!

49 Courtney July 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Awww man, I’m sorry they were so messy! I’ve had a few people tell me this, and I can’t figure out why? Mine weren’t messy at all. Perhaps adding more breadcrumbs would help?