My First Ever Attempt

by Courtney on June 7, 2012

Mornin’ friends! I can’t believe we’ve already made it to Thursday. I don’t know about you, but this week is flyin’ for me!

After spending, literally, all day at the computer yesterday doing a bunch of stuff, I just didn’t have it in me to blog. I was wiped. Instead, since Jay had a softball game, I opted to play lazy on the couch and do a whole lot of nothing…and it was glorious.

Since I knew Jay had a game, we didn’t plan anything special for dinner, but I still wound up having a little something yummy. Jay cooked himself a burger on the grill and I made a BLT-AT…bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and turkey sandwich.

Ohhhh yessss.

There were two lone slices of turkey left in the fridge, so I figured I’d use those up. I also picked up an avocado the other day at the store with intentions of using it somehow but hadn’t gotten around to it. It was finally ripe last night, so I figured I’d incorporate the two into a lovely gourmet BLT, if you will.

All on a whole wheat bagel thin. It was awesome.

I also ended up finishing up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Pasta, which was probably about this, x5.

So sad to see that gone. So sad.

In other news, I also made my first ever attempt at the sock bun yesterday…

Not bad for my first time, eh? Winking smile

In case you’ve never heard of it (like my husband…shocker there!) yes, there is an actual sock up in there. I watched this video on how to do it and it really is super easy…that coming from the one who can do zip with her own hair. I am in love.

Breakfast

This morning called for fruit and yogurt…and lots of it.

This bowl has a container of plain Chobani under there, which is masked by plenty of delicious strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. As delicious as it looked, I realized there was still something missing…

Ahhh. That’s better.

Nothin’ like a little Love Grown Foods granola on top my yogurt bowl. Talk about delicious.

I’m off to a shift at work this morning…followed by some more work back home. Busy, busy, busy!

Questions for the Morning:

How many times per week do you cook and prepare a full dinner? Ideally, would you rather have more fully cooked/prepared dinners, or do you prefer to keep it simple?

Do you consider yourself “hair savvy?”

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

I used to prepare a fully cooked dinner more often than I do now. I try to make meals for my fiance and I that will last for longer than one day. I love leftovers especially if it’s something good. :)

No way! I am no way near “hair savvy.” I’d much rather have someone else do my hair that knows what they are doing.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Pizza Stone Disaster!…

2 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 7, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’d say I eat out about twice a week, usually on the weekends but for the most party I like to eat my own food.

I don’t think I am hair savvy, but my mom is a hairdresser so she takes care of my bad hair days! :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Fitness Bucket List

3 Karen June 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

I love the bun! Courtney, how do you cook your turkey bacon? It always looks so well done and crispy….and delicious!

4 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

In a skillet on the stove, sprayed with cooking spray. The cooking spray helps make it extra crispy, so be generous with it :)

5 Karen June 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thanks I will give it a try. Hope you have a great date night!

6 Katie June 7, 2012 at 8:20 am

Love sock buns! I think they look really polished but take ZERO time to accomplish. However, my hair just won’t do it. Such problems I have.

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

Love Grown makes EVERYTHING better. I probably make a “real” dinner about 3 times a week, since my husband works until 9pm two nights.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Very Snacky Day

8 Khushboo Thadani June 7, 2012 at 8:22 am

Wow that bun looks great- I can’t believe it’s your first attempt…not too shabby at all! For the most part, my dinners at home tend to be simple! As long as they taste good, I am more than happy spending as less time as possible. I say that but I can rarely throw something together under 15 minutes (by the time I chop, assemble, wash up etc)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..24 Lessons in 24 years

9 Michelle@PeachyPalate June 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

I either have something fully cooked/prepared for lunch or dinner every day but more often than not my biggest meal of the day is at lunch time to fuel me for the gym after work! :) That’s an epic bagel! Well done on the bun, it’s perfect!!!!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Pretty Pink Refresher

10 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

We cook full dinners just about every night except for the odd and end nights that we are out, then it may be Somethin light out or something easy at home.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #5

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

I cannot master the sock bun. I don’t know if my hair is too short or because of my layers, but I can never get it to work!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..freezer friendly meals

12 Sana June 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

I need to try the sock bun, it looks soo good on you!
Sana recently posted..I Can’t Afford to Eat From A Vending Machiene

13 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thanks, Sana!

14 Blog is the New Black June 7, 2012 at 8:44 am

Totally impressed with that fun! Mine was a total fail…….
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Home Fries

15 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life June 7, 2012 at 8:50 am

I am not hair savvy at all, but I think it has something to do with the fact that my hair is pin straight and I can do absolutely nothing with it. I’ve tried the sock bun, but I have layers in my hair and they stick out awkwardly.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Do Anywhere Workout from the Fitness Cell

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

I am definitely not hair savvy! I’ve seen those buns but had no idea about the sock!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Happy (late) National Running Day

17 Linda June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

As you know, the only variety to my hair is the color of the towel I use to dry it….. :p

18 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

HAHAHA :)

19 Amy B @ Second City Randomness June 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

The sandwich looks amazing. Any time I go out to eat, if I see a combo of avocado and bacon on the menu, it’s mine. I don’t keep either around the house very often (I can’t get through the avocado that quickly!).

20 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I always have that problem too. I can guarantee that they’ll be some of this avocado that ends up getting wasted. Although I have found that if I leave the core in the part I’m not using, it lasts a lot longer.

21 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve been dying to know, where do you buy your whole wheat bagel thins? I looked for them at the grocery stores around me but haven’t been able to find them!!

Also, your hair looks wonderful! I always think my hair looks weird in a bu, but I definitely want to try it one day, it’s so pretty and simple!!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Fun at Fenway

22 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

My grocery store carries them all the time! (Price Chopper)

23 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve been wanting to try a sock bun, but I’m too lazy! Your’s looks great!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Easy and Tasty Lemon Yogurt Chicken and My Yoga Experience So Far

24 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

I am so impressed with your sock bun! I don’t know how, but I’d never heard of that before! I can’t wait to experiment with one myself. By the way I’m jealous your week is flying by… Mine is painfully slow!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..The last few W.I.A.W. of the school year!

25 Nicole June 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

That sock bun is genius! Can’t wait to try this :)

26 Meg June 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

your sock bun turned out sooooo good! be proud of yourself sweetie!
Meg recently posted..A Family Night and Gratitude

27 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! June 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

I typically cook and prepare a full dinner 5 days per week i would say on average. it can be tricky some nights though for sure!
and your sock bun is pretty dang good – I am the OPPOSITE of hair savvy, thats for sure
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Eating Detoxes, Cleanses, & All That Noise

28 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes June 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

I usually prepare “real” dinners, but sometimes a girl’s just gotta have an breakfast sandwich or omelet for dinner :)

Wow, your bun looks awesome! Because my hair is super curly, I just let it do its thing most of the time :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..The Versatile Blogger Award

29 Faith @ For the Health of It June 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’m absolutely terrible with hair! Granted, I only “do” mine about once a week (the humidity in FL esp in the summer makes any hairstyle turn to frizzy mess in about 10 seconds flat).

30 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m super boring with my dinners for the week. Because I only cook for me, I usually make a bunch of things ahead of time on Sunday to have for the week. That way I don’t have to worry about cooking during the week!
Love the sock bun. I try to be hair savvy but not quite sure that I actually am :)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Post-Workout Nutrition

31 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

Great job with that bun- and I belong in the same boat as Jay. I am NO GOOD with hair! ….mine is naturally curly and you can’t do a whole lot with it- it always looks the same!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Rockin’ Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter

32 Lindsey June 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

Not hair savy at all..
I cook at home almost every night but I would say we keep it simple 2-3 nights a week with a low-key meal. I love to cook and wish I had more time to do so. But usually we go to the gym after work, so unless we want to eat at 8pm I have about 30 mins to cook supper most nights. Weekends I can take more time and make more time consuming meals though.
Lindsey recently posted..Running Bucket List

33 Shannon June 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

My family tries to eat together as much as possible. If it’s a hot day outside, it is more likely that we order take out somewhere close to our house. I prefer bigger meals, but I don’t mind a simple meal now and then.

No- I’m not hair savvy at all. I only brush my hair and try to look OK for school. If it’s extremely warm outside, you’ll see me in a ponytail. If it’s not going to be hot out, then my hair will be down, like usual.

34 Michelle @ Blogitness June 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

I have absolutely no talent when it comes to my hair! I’m hoping I can handle the sock bun!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Metabolic Resistance Training; it’s Efficient!

35 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

i usually cook 4-5 times per week… the other times we go out to eat, have leftovers, or do something easy. i’ll have to watch that sock bun tutorial! i’m curious! i’m really not that hair savvy, so we’ll see how it goes!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..06/07: Thursday Thoughts

36 Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel June 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

That turkey burger looks really nice! Totally will try that this Spring.
I eat out 1-2 times a week and I also eat at home with friends often. So the other 4 days I do cook, but simple please! After I come home from work I want it to be easy but tasty! Sometimes I cook a bigger batch and keep it in the fridge to heat up a next time.
Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel recently posted.."I don’t dream at night, I dream all day; I dream for a living."

37 Jackie June 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

I cook full-fledged dinners about 4 nights a week — the other nights we eat out, eat leftovers or do something simple like make a pizza (does that count as cooking?). Am I hair savvy? No! I try, but it never works! If I had a penny for every hair product I bought … Wait. Never mind.

38 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

sock bun is super cute!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..new things are happening

39 Renee June 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

Your sock bun turned out beautifully! I’ll have to give it a try ;)
Renee recently posted..WIAW: Sensible Snacking & Salmon Steak

40 Yellow Haired Girl June 7, 2012 at 10:11 am

I live alone, and have no one to cook for/entertain … so it doesn’t happen very often. Maybe three times a week? My meals are usually thrown together and as quick as I can make ‘em.

I love sock buns! It’s a go-to when I just don’t have the energy to deal with all of my hair :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..I’m Gonna Do It

41 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 7, 2012 at 10:14 am

Now that I have started my internship I have become super lazy with preparing dinners! Anything quick and easy is my go-to. I am also terrible with hair- I need to try the sock bun!

42 Alysha @Shesontherun June 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

I first saw that sock bun thing on the Rachel Ray show. I wonder how long of hair you need to grow to do it?

And yes, I think I’m pretty hair savvy. I used to do my friend’s hair for prom!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Post Cheese Detox + 2 recipes

43 Brandi June 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hair savvy?? I wish, that is why I just keep it short. :)

Sandwich looks amazing!

44 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

I am definitely NOT hair savvy! I get really sad about all the awesome Pinterest “easy” hair styles to do and I try and cannot make it happen. Boo!
I like to cook 4 to 5 times a week, but it depends on the week…to me the more often I can cook the better! Saves money, saves calories and I love cooking up new things.

45 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

Way to go on that sock bun – it looks awesome!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Coconut Caramel Clusters

46 Lindsey @ Pas de Deux June 7, 2012 at 10:46 am

Depends on what you mean by “a full dinner”! Especially when my husband has to work late, I make simple meals (often involving eggs for protein), like stirfry, egg sandwiches, or dinner salads, that I don’t really consider “cooking.” I probably make a “real meal” twice a week.

47 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

the sock bun looks awesome!

48 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

Sock bun! lol I love the idea!! I should try that with my hair!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Espresso Raspberry Pancakes

49 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts June 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I am SOOO not hair savvy, so thank you for posting this sock bun video! I just watched, took notes and will be desecrating a sock tonight to try it out!!

I typically cook dinner at home on weeknights – weekends are always up in the air because we’re always out and about. I love to cook so on Sundays I always make a list of what I want to cook and make sure I defrost everything I need to defrost for the week.
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Best Sandwich In America

50 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love that we’re all rockin’ the sock bun!
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Missing the Mileage

51 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Your post yesterday inspired me ;)

52 Julie June 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am definitely not hair savvy, and Snce I cut my hair six months ago I’ve found myself wearing it the same way almost every day because I lack creativity. :-)

I cook dinner most nights, but I’m a big fan of leftovers if we don’t eat them for lunch. I just love homemade meals– you can usually make something just as (or even more) delicious than a restaurant, but it’s much less expensive and far healthier!

BTW your sandwich looks incredible. Simple dinners are totally the way to go sometimes.
Julie recently posted..The Beginning of the End

53 Tara Burner June 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I prepare dinners at home every night except Tues/Thursday (daughter goes to her dad those nights) otherwise it’s homecooked meals all the way!
hair savvy..me…LOL…NO!!! throw it in a pony tail or leave it down-those are my 2 ‘styles’
Tara Burner recently posted..Affirmations For Eating Healthy, Eating Well

54 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony June 7, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Love your sandwich! Ben is away Saturday night, and this may be my dinner!
We cook about 5 times per week and go out twice. I love cooking full meals. I grew up cooking in my mom’s kitchen, so now I find it relaxing and fun!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Summer Berry Oatmeal

55 Brittany @ Little bs healthy habits June 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I have tried the sock bun so many stinkin’ times and it just won’t work :( Yours looks super cute though!
Brittany @ Little bs healthy habits recently posted..Happy Blogiversary to Me!!

56 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life June 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I would say I cook 2-3 times a week, eat leftover 2-3 times a week, an eat out 1-2 times a week. I enjoy cooking, but I make sure we finish up out leftovers before we cook too much. I can’t stand wasting food, it makes me sad to throw it out!

57 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life June 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I’m going to have to try this sock bun thing! I am definitely NOT hair savvy, but I’m trying to work on it. I have some very stylish friends who just make it all look so easy!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..WIAW: Grumpy-pants Edition

58 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

You look super cute (as always!) with the sock bun, but I don’t think my hair would do that. I have very fine hair but there’s lots of it (according to every stylist I’ve ever had), and it never wants to do ANYTHING but lay flat!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.

59 Courtney June 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Oh girl, mine is the SAME way! I was shocked that mine worked….you should definitely try it!

60 Lisa June 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I’d say I’m pretty hair savvy. I’m lucky my sister is a hair dresser and teaches me the tricks of the trade :) My hair is waaay too thick for the sock bun though, it looks ridiculously huge. I usually cook about 4 times a week, but they are usually under 30 minutes. I can’t stand cooking for like 2 hours or anything that extreme.
Lisa recently posted..Thursday Things

61 Suzanne @ Fitmindedmom June 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh goodness, I must be VERY hair challenged because I couldn’t even manage the sock bun very well. Can I just use the excuse that I have extra thick hair…eh, probably not!

I have two little kids so I do plan my meals and cook most nights of the week. The weekends are a little more lax but I feel bad for the fam if I don’t give them a “real” dinner most days of the week.

62 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I cook dinner about 4 nights a week. I love home cooked meals!

& I am in no way hair savvy. I always have those little flyaways & can’t work a curling iron for my life!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..The Run That Renewed My Love Affair With Running

63 Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm

We cook dinner every night. I’m really lucky that my boyfriend was raised this way because his mom was a SAHM and cooked really good, hearty, nutritious meals for his family each night. He is happy to pitch in and cook half the time. If it was just me cooking I doubt I’d do as much!
I love the sock bun! I have a little black donut thing that I can use in my hair instead of a sock and I love how it looks. I’m not hair savvy at all, and my hair is such a beast sometimes, but sock buns are great for second-day hair for me!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Spinalonga and Victoria Hislop’s ‘The Island’