My First Ever Attempt

Mornin’ friends! I can’t believe we’ve already made it to Thursday. I don’t know about you, but this week is flyin’ for me!

After spending, literally, all day at the computer yesterday doing a bunch of stuff, I just didn’t have it in me to blog. I was wiped. Instead, since Jay had a softball game, I opted to play lazy on the couch and do a whole lot of nothing…and it was glorious.

Since I knew Jay had a game, we didn’t plan anything special for dinner, but I still wound up having a little something yummy. Jay cooked himself a burger on the grill and I made a BLT-AT…bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and turkey sandwich.

Ohhhh yessss.

There were two lone slices of turkey left in the fridge, so I figured I’d use those up. I also picked up an avocado the other day at the store with intentions of using it somehow but hadn’t gotten around to it. It was finally ripe last night, so I figured I’d incorporate the two into a lovely gourmet BLT, if you will.

All on a whole wheat bagel thin. It was awesome.

I also ended up finishing up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Pasta, which was probably about this, x5.

So sad to see that gone. So sad.

In other news, I also made my first ever attempt at the sock bun yesterday…

Not bad for my first time, eh? Winking smile

In case you’ve never heard of it (like my husband…shocker there!) yes, there is an actual sock up in there. I watched this video on how to do it and it really is super easy…that coming from the one who can do zip with her own hair. I am in love.

Breakfast

This morning called for fruit and yogurt…and lots of it.

This bowl has a container of plain Chobani under there, which is masked by plenty of delicious strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. As delicious as it looked, I realized there was still something missing…

Ahhh. That’s better.

Nothin’ like a little Love Grown Foods granola on top my yogurt bowl. Talk about delicious.

I’m off to a shift at work this morning…followed by some more work back home. Busy, busy, busy!

Questions for the Morning:

How many times per week do you cook and prepare a full dinner? Ideally, would you rather have more fully cooked/prepared dinners, or do you prefer to keep it simple?

Do you consider yourself “hair savvy?”

Comments

I used to prepare a fully cooked dinner more often than I do now. I try to make meals for my fiance and I that will last for longer than one day. I love leftovers especially if it’s something good. :)

No way! I am no way near “hair savvy.” I’d much rather have someone else do my hair that knows what they are doing.
    Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Pizza Stone Disaster!…

2. Karen says

I love the bun! Courtney, how do you cook your turkey bacon? It always looks so well done and crispy….and delicious!

3. Katie says

Love sock buns! I think they look really polished but take ZERO time to accomplish. However, my hair just won’t do it. Such problems I have.

Wow that bun looks great- I can’t believe it’s your first attempt…not too shabby at all! For the most part, my dinners at home tend to be simple! As long as they taste good, I am more than happy spending as less time as possible. I say that but I can rarely throw something together under 15 minutes (by the time I chop, assemble, wash up etc)!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..24 Lessons in 24 years

I either have something fully cooked/prepared for lunch or dinner every day but more often than not my biggest meal of the day is at lunch time to fuel me for the gym after work! :) That’s an epic bagel! Well done on the bun, it’s perfect!!!!
    Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Pretty Pink Refresher

• Courtney says

I always have that problem too. I can guarantee that they’ll be some of this avocado that ends up getting wasted. Although I have found that if I leave the core in the part I’m not using, it lasts a lot longer.

I’ve been dying to know, where do you buy your whole wheat bagel thins? I looked for them at the grocery stores around me but haven’t been able to find them!!

Also, your hair looks wonderful! I always think my hair looks weird in a bu, but I definitely want to try it one day, it’s so pretty and simple!!
    Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Fun at Fenway

I’m super boring with my dinners for the week. Because I only cook for me, I usually make a bunch of things ahead of time on Sunday to have for the week. That way I don’t have to worry about cooking during the week!
    Love the sock bun. I try to be hair savvy but not quite sure that I actually am :)
    Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Post-Workout Nutrition

Not hair savy at all..
    I cook at home almost every night but I would say we keep it simple 2-3 nights a week with a low-key meal. I love to cook and wish I had more time to do so. But usually we go to the gym after work, so unless we want to eat at 8pm I have about 30 mins to cook supper most nights. Weekends I can take more time and make more time consuming meals though.
    Lindsey recently posted..Running Bucket List

My family tries to eat together as much as possible. If it’s a hot day outside, it is more likely that we order take out somewhere close to our house. I prefer bigger meals, but I don’t mind a simple meal now and then.

No- I’m not hair savvy at all. I only brush my hair and try to look OK for school. If it’s extremely warm outside, you’ll see me in a ponytail. If it’s not going to be hot out, then my hair will be down, like usual.

That turkey burger looks really nice! Totally will try that this Spring.
    I eat out 1-2 times a week and I also eat at home with friends often. So the other 4 days I do cook, but simple please! After I come home from work I want it to be easy but tasty! Sometimes I cook a bigger batch and keep it in the fridge to heat up a next time.
    Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel recently posted.."I don’t dream at night, I dream all day; I dream for a living."

I cook full-fledged dinners about 4 nights a week — the other nights we eat out, eat leftovers or do something simple like make a pizza (does that count as cooking?). Am I hair savvy? No! I try, but it never works! If I had a penny for every hair product I bought … Wait. Never mind.

I live alone, and have no one to cook for/entertain … so it doesn’t happen very often. Maybe three times a week? My meals are usually thrown together and as quick as I can make ’em.

I love sock buns! It’s a go-to when I just don’t have the energy to deal with all of my hair :)
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..I’m Gonna Do It

I am definitely NOT hair savvy! I get really sad about all the awesome Pinterest “easy” hair styles to do and I try and cannot make it happen. Boo!
    I like to cook 4 to 5 times a week, but it depends on the week…to me the more often I can cook the better! Saves money, saves calories and I love cooking up new things.

Depends on what you mean by “a full dinner”! Especially when my husband has to work late, I make simple meals (often involving eggs for protein), like stirfry, egg sandwiches, or dinner salads, that I don’t really consider “cooking.” I probably make a “real meal” twice a week.

I am SOOO not hair savvy, so thank you for posting this sock bun video! I just watched, took notes and will be desecrating a sock tonight to try it out!!

I typically cook dinner at home on weeknights – weekends are always up in the air because we’re always out and about. I love to cook so on Sundays I always make a list of what I want to cook and make sure I defrost everything I need to defrost for the week.
    Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Best Sandwich In America

I am definitely not hair savvy, and Snce I cut my hair six months ago I’ve found myself wearing it the same way almost every day because I lack creativity. :-)

I cook dinner most nights, but I’m a big fan of leftovers if we don’t eat them for lunch. I just love homemade meals– you can usually make something just as (or even more) delicious than a restaurant, but it’s much less expensive and far healthier!

BTW your sandwich looks incredible. Simple dinners are totally the way to go sometimes.
    Julie recently posted..The Beginning of the End

I would say I cook 2-3 times a week, eat leftover 2-3 times a week, an eat out 1-2 times a week. I enjoy cooking, but I make sure we finish up out leftovers before we cook too much. I can’t stand wasting food, it makes me sad to throw it out!

• Courtney says

Oh girl, mine is the SAME way! I was shocked that mine worked….you should definitely try it!

I’d say I’m pretty hair savvy. I’m lucky my sister is a hair dresser and teaches me the tricks of the trade :) My hair is waaay too thick for the sock bun though, it looks ridiculously huge. I usually cook about 4 times a week, but they are usually under 30 minutes. I can’t stand cooking for like 2 hours or anything that extreme.
    Lisa recently posted..Thursday Things

Oh goodness, I must be VERY hair challenged because I couldn’t even manage the sock bun very well. Can I just use the excuse that I have extra thick hair…eh, probably not!

I have two little kids so I do plan my meals and cook most nights of the week. The weekends are a little more lax but I feel bad for the fam if I don’t give them a “real” dinner most days of the week.

We cook dinner every night. I’m really lucky that my boyfriend was raised this way because his mom was a SAHM and cooked really good, hearty, nutritious meals for his family each night. He is happy to pitch in and cook half the time. If it was just me cooking I doubt I’d do as much!
    I love the sock bun! I have a little black donut thing that I can use in my hair instead of a sock and I love how it looks. I’m not hair savvy at all, and my hair is such a beast sometimes, but sock buns are great for second-day hair for me!
    Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Spinalonga and Victoria Hislop’s ‘The Island’

Trackbacks