No Expectations

You know those evenings where you end up making last minute plans with no expectations other than to just spend time with a friend…only to have it turn out to be one of the best nights ever? Yeah, last night was one of those nights.

I ended up getting a call around 5:00 last night from my Sarah, asking if by any chance I was free to join her down at Rockin’ On The River. My only plans for the evening were to have been going to Jay’s softball game, but I’ve been to a bunch of those before, so I said sure!

Before heading out, I cooked up a quick dinner for Jay and I…

Leftover Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken from the freezer + Alexia sweet potato fries.

Veggies, what? Winking smile

I ate, quickly changed out of my scrub clothes to try and look presentable, then Sarah and I were out for the evening.

So every Wednesday for Rockin’ On The River here in downtown Troy, there’s a band that plays (along the river, obviously) and last night’s band was ‘Bad Medicine’ a Tribute to Bon Jovi. Sarah is a HUGE fan of Bon Jovi, so she was super psyched to go watch and listen.

There was definitely quite a good crowd out last night, too.

I thought the band was really good and apparently, according to Sarah, this guy must have done some Jovi research. I guess he had all his regular moves down and everything. I’m really just a fan of the Jovi songs that make it on the radio so I didn’t know any better…but now Sarah has informed me that I *must* borrow all gazillion of his CD’s (and videos) so I can catch up. Winking smile

After listening to the band play for a little while, we decided to walk over to grab a drink at Jose Malone’s. Sarah and I happened to know the bartender who was working last night, so we grabbed a couple seats at the bar and ordered a round of margaritas.

These margaritas were goooood, and now I totally see why they’re known for having some of the best around. Sarah and I continued to sit, chat, and sip, and before I knew it, we had another margarita…watermelon this time. And it was made with fresh watermelon puree. Loved it.

As we continued to sit and chat with Steve (the bartender), he suddenly asked us if we wanted some shots. Me? Shots? Ummm, no thanks…I’m a granny now, thankyouverymuch.

But he insisted that he’d make them “easy,” so me and my two-margarita mind said “suuuuuure, why not??!”

Steve didn’t lie. These weren’t strong at all. More like pineapple upside-down cake. And delicious at that.

Check out that apparition in the photo above…do you guys think Sarah and I had something else hanging with us last night? Winking smile

Sarah and I continued to sit and hang out a bit longer as we waited for our rides to arrive, so Steve brought us out some chips and salsa to snack on.

That salsa? Best stuff ever. There was barely any spice to it at all (totally my style) and I honestly could have eaten it with a spoon.

Eventually, our rides made it. Smile

Once they stopped over from their softball game, we hung out for a bit there, but then Jose’s was getting ready to shut down for the evening, so we left and headed over to my favorite downtown Troy spot. We hung out there until last call and then finally made our way back home.

So I’d say, for having no expectations for the evening but winding up staying out late enough for last call at two different bars? Definitely a great, great night…although I’ve felt better. Winking smile

Yeah. So this happened this morning…

Such a klutz sometimes, I’ll tell ya.

Once I got that mess all cleaned up, I was able to sit down to my then semi-cold breakfast and half glass of iced coffee.

Breakfast today was a 1 egg + 2 egg white scramble made with lots of fresh spinach and tomatoes.

And on the side there were some more veggies, of the zucchini variety of course, topped with peanut butter.

Despite the delay, breakfast was still a delicious one.

Now it’s time for me to get scootin’…have a great Thursday, everyone! Smile

Random Question for the Morning:

Could you name the most rewarding moment of your life so far?

I love impromptu nights out like that! I’m terrible at actually letting them happen (I’m a super sleepy lady too, and I’m usually asleep by 11) but when they do, they’re a blast. Glad you got to have such a fun time…and I agree with your friend – get on that Bon Jovi train!

this is why i love reading your blog courtney…. you can still cut loose on weekdays :)

the most rewarding moment question is quite a doozy…. i’m not sure about “of my life,” but “of this year” i’d pick buying a new car all by myself! It sort of validated all the hardwork I put in at school and over the past few years working so hard.
    Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Sarabeth’s South Central Park, NYC

Oh my goodness, to be at a place in life where you can totally go hang out on weeknights and have a great time would be awesome!! Then again, that would mean giving up the most rewarding part of my life….my kids!! I will continue to live vicariously through all you single(no kid) ladies!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Hard Boiled 101

Night’s like that are the absolute best! Glad you had a great time!

My most rewarding moment? I would say working my butt off for two years after college and then being admitted to the wonderful graduate program I’m in now! There’s nothing quite like the feeling of working hard for something and having it pay off in a big way!
    Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Southwestern Gazpacho

you have such a nice tan :)

hmm I think my most rewarding moment was graduating with my Masters degree in 2 years :) most pple in my school take 4-5 years to finish so sitting there early for graduation was a good feeling :)
    Rachel recently posted..Invisible Snake

Your night sounds absolutely fantastic. I wish I lived in a place that had fun stuff to do like that! I feel your pain though; I went to a Mexican restaurant last night and had way too many chips/salsa/guac and one too many margaritas as well. It was worth it though!

PS. I made your banana oatmeal raison muffins this morning and they are absolutey to die for. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

I would have to say that the most rewarding moment in my life so far has been making it into a really selective dance program at my university :)
    Allison recently posted..Second-guessing yourself vs. going with your gut

Random nights are always the best!! Most rewarding life moment? Yikes, that’s a loaded question! Probably seeing all my students’ test scores after working so hard with them all year long! :)
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..FitGear

My parents are kayaking down to Albany tonight for Alive at Five :)

As for your random question–I actually can name it. I received my Doctorate in May before I turned 26. It was the culmination of so much hard work. It is definitely my biggest accomplishment.
    Laura recently posted..Yesterday and Today

Nights like that are the best!! Glad y’all had such a good time. :] The most rewarding moment of my life? What a huge question! I’ve honestly got to say that it would be the time I’ve gotten to spend with my parents and grandparents lately. As we grow up and get wrapped in our own adult lives, family time becomes more and more precious. Great question!
    Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Hard to Shop For

Yummy looking meals! I never went to the live music in Troy but I did once in Albany and also where I just lived in Geneva they had live music every Friday which was pretty cool. Most rewarding moment: besides marrying my hubby…I’d said second would be a tie between getting my Masters degree and finishing my first marathon. :)
    Melissa @ recently posted..Flatlined?

Such a great night! I think the same way when someone offers me a shot!

My most rewarding moment so far happened two years ago with one of my first grade students. I had this gut feeling and saw so many signs that something was wrong with her eyesight, although for most of the year all her eyesight exams came back fine and her parents’ insisted that she was okay. Finally, after insisting on more tests, the disease in her eye showed up. They said if we didn’t catch it now, within two weeks, she could’ve gone blind. Many tears were shed that day knowing she will be okay! :)
    Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Chocolate Covered Strawberries Oats

Gotta love those surprise yet wonderful nights :) Can’t think of my most rewarding moment! That’s a tough one! But I love any time I speand with my family, friends, and love of my life!

Gotta love those surprise yet wonderful nights Can’t think of my most rewarding moment! That’s a tough one! But I love any time I speand with my family, friends, and love of my life!

I always love your questions Courtney, they really make me think :-)

Most rewarding…so far I’d have to say when I got my undergrad diploma. For years of works (and ridiculous amount of money) rolled into a fancy piece of paper with my name on it. :-)

Although ask me again once I finished grad school, get married, start on babies…I’m sure I’ll have a different answer for you!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..They Can’t All Be Winners.

I can’t think of the most rewarding moment of my life so far but I know it will be graduating from high school and college, or getting an internship in the future that has to do with journalism (I’m not old enough yet- in most institutions, you need to be getting college credit).