Put To Good Use

by Courtney on August 7, 2012

Gosh, I really do love fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Yesterday afternoon, I went out to check on our tomato plants and noticed that I had quite a few cherry tomatoes that were ready to be picked. These things really are just like candy (okay, in a vegetable sort of way). and are probably one of my favorite things to come out of the garden so far.

I also managed to pick about four ripe tomatoes, which have already been put to good use…

This afternoon, Jay came home on his lunch hour and started prepping some of his favorite salsa (err, pico…whatever you’d like to call it). He first made it at our Super Bowl party earlier this year, and since we’re heading over to our friends’ house later tonight for a little “Olympic viewing party,” he figured we’d bring it along. So far, it’s smelling mighty tasty!

When it came time for my own lunch, I made sure to save a few slices of tomato to include in a delicious turkey wrap.

Along with the tomato, I used a few slices of deli turkey, lettuce, pickles, a LOT of avocado, and some honey mustard on a LaTortilla Factory Low-Carb wrap.

On the side, I snacked on some baby carrots and more cherry tomatoes.

A delicious lunch, indeed.

After finishing that up, I treated myself to a little something sweet…

Oh, you know I made sure to save a few of this weekend’s zucchini brownies at home. I’m no dummy. Winking smile

Time to get back to work…this day is flying by faster than I can keep up with. Yikes!

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite ways to eat/cook with tomatoes? Feel free to share any recipes…I have a feeling I’ll be needing some pretty soon!

1 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I love a good caprese salad – so if you have any fresh basil from your garden all you will need is mozzarella.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..C25K Week 3 Recap

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm

This is exactly what I was thinking! A little drizzle of olive oil, mhm.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Take a minute.

3 Jamie August 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

That’s probably my favorite meal! With a little balsamic and sea salt :)
Jamie recently posted..Some Wine Tips and a Summer Salad

4 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Gotta love the balsamic yummy!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..C25K Week 3 Recap

5 Leanne August 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m very much into a good Caprese salad too! ;) hmmm and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Love it!
Leanne recently posted..WIAW – summer food – homemade bread and I’m still into pumpkin seeds!

6 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

mm your wrap sounds delicious! i don’t have my own garden but I picked up some locally grown cherry tomatoes at the store this morning and ate the whole pint..they do taste just like candy..so good!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Vacation Snapshots

7 Erin August 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Do you eat shrimp? If so, this Cheesey Baked Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Quinoa is super delicious. Toss in some wilted spinach for greens and you’re good to go!
Erin recently posted..Pinned in Pink

8 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Slow roasted cherry tomatoes are amazing…leave them in the lowest temperature you possibly can for 3 or 4 hours!!! Almost switched off.
Tomatoes and peaches are also incredible together.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A tribute to eggplant, faceplant

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I love salsa. I also love adding some fresh tomatoes to guacamole. And I agree with the others who mentioned a caprese salad!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A pink party and a slow cooker recipe.

10 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I absolutely love tomatoes in a caprese salad, but day-to-day I like to chop up a fresh tomato and put it on top of my morning eggs or grilled chicken and drizzle with balsamic glaze (Trader Joe’s has it in a bottle and it’s amazing!).
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..A change of pace

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I LOVE cherry tomatoes too! We just got quite a few tomatoes from our neighbor the other day, and I’ve been brainstorming ways to use them up. So far I’ve used them in an egg scramble, and tonight I plan to add a bunch to a taco salad. I’m sure some salsa will be made too!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Little Glimpse Of The Weekend

12 Elaine August 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

If you ever need a tasty and fresh pasta sauce, I have a great recipe on my blog (only calls for three ingredients too!). I also use them in a lot of salads (quinoa salads, pasta salads, regular salads). If you want a baked dish, I just came across a roasted tomato, shrimp, and feta dish on RealSimple. I’m hoping to try this one soon!
Elaine recently posted..Skinny Frosty Copycat

13 Danica @ It's Progression August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love making homemade salsa! I made a batch this past weekend when we had some friends over for a grill-out…If you have a ton of tomatoes you could always make homemade sauce!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Wedding Pictures: The Dance!

14 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I agree with caprese salad! And you have to use extra thick slices of tomato. Easiest and yummy way to eat them. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Variations on Nori Maki

15 Shannon August 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love eating pasta salad with big tomato slices in the mix. I also love some tomato sauce on spaghetti!
Shannon recently posted..Sutton’s Cafe, a review

16 Rachel August 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I like them cooked in pasta :)
Rachel recently posted..Thrown on a Swimmer

17 Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

just another zucchini recipe of yours to add to my ‘to make’ list!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Low-Carb Cauliflower Fish Cakes

18 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Fresh tomatoes from the garden are the best! So delicious just roasted with some fresh basil and olive oil!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Sweet Potato Turkey Veggie “Hash” and Eggs

19 Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think grilled and roasted tomatoes are great. It brings out so much of the natural sweet juice out of it.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Date Day and the Perfect Cookiewich

20 Katie August 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I love cherry tomatoes and the sugar plum tomatoes we get at Trader Joe’s! Now THOSE are some sweet, tasty tomatoes for sure! :)
I like to eat tomatoes in a mango salsa-type thing that my mom makes, and it’s amazing to eat with fish! Mmm.. <3
Katie recently posted..Excitement is in the Air

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm

My parents used to always do tomato sandwiches with garden fresh tomatoes. I didn’t like tomatoes back then so I always thought it was weird but now that I DO, I find myself craving them. I hope when I get home they have plenty of fresh tomatoes for me. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Favorite Health Apps

22 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Fresh tomatoes are definitely the best. I’ve been eating them on sandwiches with avocado lately. I also love tomato basil and mozzarella salad.

Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..29 week bump update & our baby’s name

23 Jessica @ New Girl, New City August 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Fresh tomatoes are the BEST!
How about canning some?!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..Catch Up

24 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hands down, my favorite way to eat tomatoes is on a BLT!! I also love eating them sliced, with just a little salt and pepper on top. I bet you could also make a really good homemade pasta sauce out of them!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

25 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I love just a plain tomato salad with oil and salt! Simple and delicious! I also love Caprese with fresh Bufula mozzarella :) Yum!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..16 oz Blended Chobani Yogurt Giveaway

26 Alison August 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I love having tomatoes in caprese! Probably my favorite way to eat it. I also love them in salsa and tomato soup :)

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 7, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I love a heavy-on-the-avocado wrap!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Revel Atlantic City

28 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm

If I’ve got super flavourful tomatoes and basil – I always make bruschetta. One of my favourites!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Alpaca Lunch.

29 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I love sliced tomatoes, topped with laughing cow cheese & drizzled with balsamic ! Easy & tasty!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..RTB:NJ Training Plan

30 Born27 August 8, 2012 at 1:54 am

I love tomato, avocado and Mango Salsa. It is so good and easy to make.
Born27 recently posted..Contact

31 Khushboo August 8, 2012 at 4:32 am

For something simple yet delicious, I love sliced tomatoes with balsamic, chevre, basil and fresh black pepper! Great side to grilled chicken, or even on its own!
Khushboo recently posted..Just touched down…

32 Pauline Stacey August 8, 2012 at 4:50 am

I don’t really eat tomato but your pasta is really yummy together with the tomatoes.
Pauline Stacey recently posted..How to get a Celebrity Smile

33 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 8, 2012 at 7:10 am

That wrap looks delicious! :) I would totally make a caprese salad or maybe homemade tomato sauce. I can imagine that would taste delicious from the fresh tomatoes!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Single Digits & Plans For Next Week!…

34 Carol T. August 8, 2012 at 7:17 am

Would love your husband’s salsa receipe… I have a garden full of tomatoes.

35 Leanne August 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I also love adding diced tomato to my guacamole! <3 I tried to grow tomatoes this season but the weather is just so bad in Holland: low temperatures and a LOT of rain every day… so all my produce failed to grow :(

36 Bek @ Crave August 9, 2012 at 2:11 am

I’m not a huge fan of iced brownies, but they look similar to a chocolate slice I’ve had before and you have now got me desperately wanting one of those brownies! Actually, I’ll take that one in your hand thanks ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Loving myself

37 Lisa August 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I actually don’t like tomatoes, unless they are cooked or chopped up for a salsa. I’m weird I guess. You have got to roast them with some chicken, they taste awesome once roasted, especially in coconut oil!
Lisa recently posted..Your Body Knows Best

38 Nicole August 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

How do you NOT devour all the sweets you make? I want to jump through the screen! :)

39 Courtney August 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

HAHA! Maybe because I do it so often, the novelty has worn off?
Nah, probably not ;)

40 Ellen Howell August 15, 2012 at 6:15 am

This is so yummy recipes. I love it and I am interested to make this one this weekend.
Ellen Howell recently posted..Male Potency: Male Herbal Supplements for Being a Potent Man

41 Zyrine Kirk August 17, 2012 at 3:34 am

I always use tomatoes for some of my recipes. For sure these recipes are delectable and luscious.
Zyrine Kirk recently posted..Appetite Suppressants: A Must Way to Lose Weight