Put To Good Use

Gosh, I really do love fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Yesterday afternoon, I went out to check on our tomato plants and noticed that I had quite a few cherry tomatoes that were ready to be picked. These things really are just like candy (okay, in a vegetable sort of way). and are probably one of my favorite things to come out of the garden so far.

I also managed to pick about four ripe tomatoes, which have already been put to good use…

This afternoon, Jay came home on his lunch hour and started prepping some of his favorite salsa (err, pico…whatever you’d like to call it). He first made it at our Super Bowl party earlier this year, and since we’re heading over to our friends’ house later tonight for a little “Olympic viewing party,” he figured we’d bring it along. So far, it’s smelling mighty tasty!

When it came time for my own lunch, I made sure to save a few slices of tomato to include in a delicious turkey wrap.

Along with the tomato, I used a few slices of deli turkey, lettuce, pickles, a LOT of avocado, and some honey mustard on a LaTortilla Factory Low-Carb wrap.

On the side, I snacked on some baby carrots and more cherry tomatoes.

A delicious lunch, indeed.

After finishing that up, I treated myself to a little something sweet…

Oh, you know I made sure to save a few of this weekend’s zucchini brownies at home. I’m no dummy. Winking smile

Time to get back to work…this day is flying by faster than I can keep up with. Yikes!

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite ways to eat/cook with tomatoes? Feel free to share any recipes…I have a feeling I’ll be needing some pretty soon!

If you ever need a tasty and fresh pasta sauce, I have a great recipe on my blog (only calls for three ingredients too!). I also use them in a lot of salads (quinoa salads, pasta salads, regular salads). If you want a baked dish, I just came across a roasted tomato, shrimp, and feta dish on RealSimple. I’m hoping to try this one soon!
    Elaine recently posted..Skinny Frosty Copycat

I love cherry tomatoes and the sugar plum tomatoes we get at Trader Joe’s! Now THOSE are some sweet, tasty tomatoes for sure! :)
    I like to eat tomatoes in a mango salsa-type thing that my mom makes, and it’s amazing to eat with fish! Mmm.. <3
    Katie recently posted..Excitement is in the Air

My parents used to always do tomato sandwiches with garden fresh tomatoes. I didn’t like tomatoes back then so I always thought it was weird but now that I DO, I find myself craving them. I hope when I get home they have plenty of fresh tomatoes for me. :)
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Favorite Health Apps

4. Alison says

I love having tomatoes in caprese! Probably my favorite way to eat it. I also love them in salsa and tomato soup :)

I’m not a huge fan of iced brownies, but they look similar to a chocolate slice I’ve had before and you have now got me desperately wanting one of those brownies! Actually, I’ll take that one in your hand thanks 😉
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Loving myself

I actually don’t like tomatoes, unless they are cooked or chopped up for a salsa. I’m weird I guess. You have got to roast them with some chicken, they taste awesome once roasted, especially in coconut oil!
    Lisa recently posted..Your Body Knows Best