I Love An Excuse To Bake

by Courtney on September 19, 2012

The creeper was at it again last night.

Shortly before dinner last night, I was going to walk up the hallway into the office when I happened to turn around and spot him…hiding behind couch.

Ok, I guess technically he wasn’t hiding. But I just was so not expecting him to be there and his positioning behind the couch completely struck me funny.

Stretch it out, bud!

He’s such a little ham. Winking smile

As for dinner last night, nothin’ too fancy schmancy.

Jay and I finally finished up the last of my Veggies & Noodles Soup, he paired his with a grilled ham and cheese, and I paired mine with a bowl of vegetables and barley.

It was actually a casserole that I was trying out for a freelance piece, so I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone and have some for dinner. It’s wicked good.

The two (three, if ya count creeper) of us spent the rest of the evening being TV junkies, since the weather was too crappy to be outside for anything, watching The Voice and The New Normal. Loving those shows!

*****

This morning, I was up nice and early to tackle a kitchen project that I decided on last night. But first, I made myself a little yogurt bowl to get me movin’.

Pineapple Chobani, pineapple chunks, and granola, which was enjoyed while these beauties baked away in the oven.

So why the heck would I make a whole tray of cinnamon buns on a random Wednesday morning? Well…

Jay and I were talking last night about how we’re most likely going to need to replace the roof on our house sometime next year…it juuust so happens that the company doing our siding also does roofs.

Coincidence? Bribery? Call it what you wish, my friends, but there is a method to my madness.

Feed the workers yummy baked goods, THEN ask for a quote on a new roof. Muahahaha.

Honestly, I highly doubt it will work, but it’s worth a shot. Winking smile

Either way, I do still love an excuse to bake for someone, and since they’re all working so hard, I figured a big ‘ol batch of fresh cinnamon rolls right out of the oven would be a nice treat for them this morning. I can actually still remember my mom baking fresh cinnamon streusel bread for guys who came to work at our house a few times growing up. I guess maybe I get that trait/habit from her? It’s a good one to have – I’ll take it proudly!

So I used Kristin’s recipe for No Yeast Required Cinnamon Rolls, which has been burning a hole in my recipe binder for well over a year now. Hey, better late than never, right? They were actually surprisingly easy to make and AMAZINGLY delicious.

What? You didn’t think I’d bake them without having any for myself, did you?

I plated almost all of the cinnamon rolls nicely on a plate for the guys and left a few extra for me and Jay.

Well, maybe for Jay…depends on how much restraint I can use throughout the day. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

What traits and/or habits would you say that you’ve picked up from your parents?

Do you have favorite cinnamon roll (or recipe for one)? <—I’ll always love Cinnamon, but I’m very thankful there is no longer one near me.

If you were to bake something for someone, what would it be?

1 Lindsey September 19, 2012 at 9:13 am

Now I am craving a yummy cinnamon bun! Love them. I must find one this week – too lazy to bake them ;)
I love making cupcakes and cookies for other people!
Lindsey recently posted..Two Years

2 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud September 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

Those look AMAZING! I have actually never tried to bake cinnamon rolls from scratch. I may try those ones though because I am always intimidated by yeast! (that sounds silly, I know)
I have picked up a ton of stuff from my parents. My wine drinking habits I blame on them ;) and my cooking definitely came fro them (my dad is a chef and my mom is a pastry chef/baker)
If I were to bake something for someone right now it would be this apple bread I am dying to try!

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

I am my dad made over! It’s so weird, but the older I get the more alike we are. I definitely get my sarcasm and just a touch of OCD from him. He’s way worse in the OCD department, but he says that’s come with age so I guess I have something to look forward too ;)

I love The Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls. I’ve made so many friends since I started making them! Here’s the link
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..The Mountains Are Calling….

4 Megan@funsizedfitness September 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve definitely picked up my parents’ tea drinking habit – they drink hot tea all day long, and I’ve started doing the same! Oh, and they taught me to be frugal (coupons, hand-me-downs, you name it!).
I love baking chocolate chip cookies for people…especially mini ones :)
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Pumpkin Wednesday…Sorry, Waffles!

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

My old roommates parents helped me move in to our apartment so as a thank you, I baked them a banana blueberry bread. They loved it and I think really appreciated it.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Mmm..those cinnamon rolls look yummy! I’ve always wanted to make them but never have. Maybe I will try that recipe :)

I love cooking and baking for people. It makes me happy to see people enjoy my food and treats I spent time making.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Take Steps, Be Heard!…

7 Angela @ Health's Angel September 19, 2012 at 9:22 am

That’s so nice of you! And those look incredible. If I were working on your roof, I’d give you a fair quote. ;-)
My mom used to make the Pilsbury cinnamon rolls years ago. I need to try my hand at making a homemade batch! I love any excuse to bake, too. I just make sure that my two garbage disposals for brothers are around when I do it.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Fall Into Fall

8 Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

That’s too funny! The older I get, the more I feel like I’m turning into my mother..even friends have started noticing that I’ve picked up on some of her phrases like ‘my dear.’
Khushboo recently posted..The deal with my meals

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

You are just too kind! I loooove cinnamon rolls! I have made them each Christmas morning since Cody and I have been married and would love to continue the tradition. I use Pioneer Woman’s recipe, and they’re delicious. I want to check Kristin’s out though since you say they’re so easy and yummy!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #52: An All Around Good Day

10 Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit September 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

My go-to around the holidays are usually banana chocolate chip muffins! They are ALWAYS a hit :-)
Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit recently posted..Workout Wednesday

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life September 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Those look amazing! I love the idea of making something for those working so hard on my home. That is such a sweet gesture and I will need to remember that! :) I have actually never made cinnamon rolls, but I have been dying to give them a try! That recipe you used looks simple and delicious. Winner!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Macaroni & Cheese

12 Katie @wishandwhimsy September 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

So, everytime I see a photo of your living room I always want to say “Hey, that’s my jar!” I have that exact same aqua/turquoise jar and LOVE it. Random, I know.
LOVE everything cinnamon, especially cinnamon rolls…if only I could come up with a healthy version. I can NEVER stop at just one.
Katie @wishandwhimsy recently posted..Choose Your Day | WIAW

13 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced September 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

I WISH I picked up my moms cooking skills, she is AMAZING, but I somehow didn’t gain that from my mom. :(

Those cinnamon buns look to die for though, those are my favorite breakfast “treat” although I have to be careful when I make them, become somehow the entire batch disappears…
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Back Handspring Attempt

14 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie September 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hahah what a great idea! Those look delicious, perfect for a Sunday brunch for house guests!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..No Jumping Circuit Workout

15 Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat September 19, 2012 at 9:45 am

Those look SO yummy! What a great idea :) The tradition in our house is to make cinnamon buns for christmas morning breakfast before we head over to my parent’s house! I’ve had an urge to bake this last week – must be the cooler weather! I have a craving for chocolate chunk cookies!
Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat recently posted..True Confessions…

16 Brandi September 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

Holy cow those cinnamon rolls look amazing! Cats do the craziest things! My two are always doing something funny and I it cracks me up when they do it.
My dad can’t just set down and not do anything. I remember growing up that he was always busy and doing something. I have totally picked that up from him! I can’t set still, I have to be doing something. This can be exhausting sometimes…:)
Brandi recently posted..Treadmill has a new home. Mine!

17 Courtney September 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hahaha, my dad is the SAME exact way! We like to call it “puttering around.” ;)

18 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

I am NOT a baker, but I do love people who bake (and use me as a taste tester ;))
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..WIAW: Switching It Up

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 19, 2012 at 10:00 am

Oh wow those look fantastic… lucky workers! I’ve never tried making my own cinnamon buns, but I just -love- the ones made my Cob’s Bakery. Baking for others is an awesome habit to have picked up from your mom. My mom is a worrywart and I think I inherited that from, but she’s also pretty darned good in the kitchen, which is something that’s definitely starting to rub off on me as well. I love baking for others and seeing them enjoy it… Chocolate chip cookies are usually my first choice, with banana bread coming in at a close second.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... it’s good to be home .

20 Courtney September 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

If I were to bake something it would be the apple crisp I’ll be making after work tonight. Last night the boys were saying how they were craving it…ask and you shall receive!!

21 Beks September 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

When I started reading blogs last year, I first became a fan of Angela over at “Oh She Glows,” and she had a recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls that I tried and loved. It’s fall. I should make them again. Yummy!

I actually mix the dough in my bread machine instead of doing it myself. I’m lazy that way. XD

22 Kim@hungryhealthygirl September 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

What lucky roofers to show up at your house!?!? Those cinnamon rolls look amazing! I often back cookies for others….there easy to store and tote around and who doesn’t like cookies? Good luck on your quote. I hope the rolls work their magic.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..WIAW Paleo Style

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love sending people cookies. I feel like you can’t NOT have a good day if someone brings you something sweet :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Mish-Mosh Poppyseed Salad

24 Rachel September 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

Those look great! I usually bake cookies for people :p
Rachel recently posted..Lots O’ Shoes

25 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

how you always manage to capture cody in the cutest and funniest positions is beyond me! my cats always manage to move right before a snap a photo like that, haha.

and those cinnamon rolls look so yummy! whoever’s doing your siding is verrrrry lucky ;)
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: Last One At Home!

26 Courtney September 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hahaha, it always amazes me too! :)

27 Tara September 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

Oh gosh those look good!!! I love to bake for any and all occasions too:) Cinnabon is too addicting…when I worked at the mall I would simply eat outside the Cinnabon shop so I could get a whif!! Mmmmm

28 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

Pshh, you send me some of those and I’LL put a new roof on your house! :-P
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..WIAW & My Two New Good Habits

29 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

Those cinnamon rolls look amazing! We always used to get the pillsbury cinnamon rolls as a special treat on Christmas morning when I was younger but I bet homemade are ten times better!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

30 Yellow Haired Girl September 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

Oh my goodness give me one of those cinnamon buns. Ah!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Am I Greek?

31 Connie September 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hahaha I literally cracked up at this post..you better get a better quote if you’re gonna provide FRESH homemade cinnamon rolls! I’m sure it makes their job more enjoyable ;) Both my sister and I inherited my parents’ OCD (typical Asians) hahaha.
Connie recently posted..WIAW: Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Bar Recipe

32 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

Courtney- I think you may be trying to make me fat ;-), lol!! Cinnamon rolls are my FAVORITE baked good and with no yeast required I am going to be in some serious trouble!!!!

When I bake for others, I tend to stick to chocolate chip cookies. I guess because most everyone loves them and you have to try pretty hard to screw them up!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..WIAW #14 + Practicing Patience

33 Shannon September 19, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’m not sure if I’ve picked up anything from my parents yet. Time will tell!

I don’t really like cinnamon rolls. Less cinnamon, the better it tastes, in my opinion.

If I were to bake something for someone, I’d either bake brownies or cupcakes. I’m pretty much known as the Cupcake Girl at school. I’m infamous for my cupcakes.

34 Lauren September 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

When we were building our house, I would always make the workers brownies or buy them pizza. Honestly, feed them and keep them happy and they work faster and more efficient. :)
Lauren recently posted..On Top of Spaghetti

35 Nicole September 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Just have to say I LOVE CODY!! <3

36 Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Whoa those look killer! Literally and figuratively :) Hmmm I’d probably bake cookies or cupcakes! :)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..I’m Lovin’ It

37 Jorie @ The Midwest Maven September 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Those cinnamon rolls look delicious, and I laughed at your creeper cat. What a cutie! I love pets that are also hams for the camera. There’s something so endearing about it!

38 Claire September 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hahaha, Cody reminds me so much of my puppy! He literally poses for me and loves wearing clothes. Weird animals, right? Those cinnamon rolls look so good! Growing up, my sister and I used to love when my mom would bring home Cinnabons as a special treat! It’s been a while since I had one though, but I do love cinnamon roll froyo! ;)

39 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You’d be surprised how convincing some good cinnamon rolls can be. :-)

I love baking for people! I don’t do it too often (because if I had it my way I’d be baking a few times a week, and I don’t need extras hanging around my house all the time) but whenever there’s a birthday or an event, I am all over that. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 2

40 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Omg those cinnamon rolls look amazing!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act

41 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love finding any excuse to bake too! Seriously, any random excuse. I picked up my mom’s trait of always having wayyyy too much food for whatever event it is. I don’t know why, but I just get panicked that I won’t have enough and end up overdoing it a little! haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #5: New to Me Foods

42 Amanda Brezgel September 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Courtney– You have to try cinnamon roll waffles! :)
Here’s the link: http://www.cookinandkickin.com/2012/08/cinnamon-roll-waffles.html
You won’t regret it.

43 Courtney September 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Oh. My. God.

44 crystal September 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm

you seriously have the funniest cat EVER!!!!

45 Bek @ Crave September 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I’ve never had cinnamon rolls before! All that baking! I could never do that or I’d be the size of a house haha- very good restraint you got going ;) I love baking anything for people- birthday cakes is pretty fun though :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Frozen Food Product Review- Michelina’s Lean Gourmet: Beef Teriyaki

46 Trisha September 20, 2012 at 12:11 am

I love Kristin’s no yeast rolls! Sooo much easier, and still delish.
Trisha recently posted..Just Like Corrie Anne!

47 Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats September 20, 2012 at 7:54 am

So glad you liked the Cinnamon Rolls! Now, for the sake of your new roof, lets hope the workers liked them too! ;)
Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats recently posted..Sausage, Grape & Pasta Skillet

48 glutenfreeblondie.com May 12, 2013 at 4:09 am

First off I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I’ve had a difficult
time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out. I truly do take pleasure
in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out
how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Cheers!
glutenfreeblondie.com recently posted..glutenfreeblondie.com

49 Benjamin June 2, 2013 at 6:12 pm

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button!
I’d without a doubt donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
Talk soon!