No Joke Brunch & Birthday Surprises

Well yesterday was just a lovely little Saturday! Despite the fact that I was still dealing with a craptastic headache, I still managed to have fun with friends and eat lots of good food…starting off nice and early with a double brunch date.

With Joey and Kate!!!

When we got together with these two last weekend, we had talked about meeting up to check out the “Hangover Brunch Buffet” at B-Rad’s Bistro (is that not a super clever name, or what?!). Jay and I first discovered the brunch menu when the two of us visited for lunch last month and had been waiting to go back ever since.

Thankfully, there was no hangover for me heading in to brunch, but let’s just say that I can’t speak for all of us. And we also had a pretty fun time trying to figure out what other patrons were hung over. Winking smile

Well…the brunch was no joke. Hoooleeeeee crap.

Let me first preface this by saying that I’m sort of a train wreck when it comes to buffets (remember the seafood buffet in OBX? Oh man…). My eyes are almost always bigger than my belly (as my mom would say) and I wind up with way too much food.

So to start, I made my first plate of food, made up of a couple pieces of muffin, a mini cinnamon roll, homefries, cinnamon-ricotta stuffed french toast(!), and fresh fruit.

Speaking of the fresh fruit…did you guys know that there are mini kiwis among us?

Brad (the owner) told me about them and they are the weirdest, coolest little things. No fuzzy skin on ‘em either – just pop ‘em in!

Another cool feature of the hangover brunch is that you can get eggs cooked to order. There are mini forms that you can fill out up at the buffet, you give it to the cook, and then they bring it out for you. Since I wanted to try a little of everything, I ordered one scrambled egg with tomatoes, onions, and roasted red peppers.

Now, you tell me if that looks like ONE egg??

Left behind from the two plates were about half of the egg(s), most of the corn muffin, and a few home fries. I later went back for another pieces of the french toast because it just rocked my socks, and I also had a bite of some Eggs Benedict which were incredible.

The buffet also included a bunch of lunch items, but if I’m headed to a brunch, it’s breakfast all the way, baby.

Oh, and dessert.

Most of us were pretty full, but I’m never one to turn down dessert, so I was in charge of going back for some goodies to share with the table. We all tried out a piece of S’mores Pie (words just cannot describe) and carrot cake. I was the proud winner of the rest of that S’mores pie. Winking smile

Needless to say, the four of us left quite full and I didn’t even end up eating anything again until almost seven hours later. Crazy. Jay and I actually just grabbed something quick at home before heading up to Saratoga for a fun little surprise party…for Sarah!

Sarah actually isn’t getting old turning 30 until the end of next month, but Jeff and some of her family decided to plan a surprise 30th birthday gathering for her early, I’m sure to throw her off a bit.

Obviously, the surprise worked.

The party was at the Adelphi hotel in Saratoga, which is probably one of the most amazing, interesting hotels I’ve ever been in. Word on the street is that it’s haunted, so me and our friend Kanika managed to sneak away and scope out the scene a bit. Totally creepy…not even sure I’d be able to sleep there, which is saying a lot.  I love creepy, ghost-like, haunted places/stories/etc. But anyway…

Ohh, and those cupcakes I was making earlier this week?

They were for this par-tay. Smile

Definitely a great Saturday! Now it’s time to do a few things around the house before settling in for some Sunday football. ‘Tis the season!

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever been thrown a surprise party? (<—Nope…ahemmm…)

Do you enjoy scary/haunted things or places? (I live for them!!)

Attending a brunch: Do you go for breakfast or lunch? (Breakfast, baby!)

Comments

1) Fun day! Love that you have a life outside of the blog :)
    2) brunch means breakfast for me too
    3) I’ve been thrown in a surprise party quite a few times…and am equally an emotional wreck each time
    4) have a great Sunday, Courtney!

Mini kiwis for the win! Seriously, who knew? Now, about how to get my hands on those…

I’ve never been thrown a surprise birthday party, just been an attendee!

Awwr that’s so sweet that she teared up! I’ve had a few surprise parties thrown for me and I was seriously fighting back tears each time. I’m not good with handling stuff like that! Or with handling scary things for that matter. Scary places don’t bother me so much, but scary movies? Noooooo can do. At least not if I want to be able to sleep normally for the next month.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... my foodie kryptonite .

When I turned 16, my sister had our drama class throw a surprise party for me. She was positive I knew (totally didn’t. I was completely oblivious). So much fun!
    My college campus was thought to be haunted. One of the dorms, and then Senior Hall, where music and dance classes were held. I like to think I became friends with one of the ghosts of senior hall because I spent so much time there. :-)
    I love brunch, but I always go for breakfast-type stuff. I guess I prefer it to regular food.
    Beks recently posted..Amazing weekend!

Your brunch spread looks insanely delicious. When I do brunch, it’s breakfast all the way. :)

My friends threw me a surprise party when I turned 16, and I had *no idea* it was coming. The hostess casually invited me over to her house a few days before my actually birthday, and then BOOM–surprise! I loved it!
    Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Special Talents

6. Alycia says

My husband and friend threw a surprise baby shower for me. It was so much fun. I had noooo clue at all. What can I say, I had baby brain at the time!

About your headaches…I’ve been experiencing the same thing and I actually found out the apple cider vinegar to be a culprit, fermented foods can cause very bad headaches or migraines! So you may want to check that out in case that’s the culprit!
    I LOVE scary, haunted things. I’m a sucker for thriller movies. Even though I end up acting like an 8 year old after…you know checking behind the shower curtain for murderers;)
    Lisa recently posted..Pumpkin Tea + Cream Cheese Muffins

Oh breakfast is always the best! When the Hubby and I head to Vegas we ALWAYS go to the Harris Champagne Breakfast Buffet. It has everything you could ever want to eat!
    I LOVE scary places! A few years ago we stayed for the night on the Queen Mary for their Halloween Mazes. Can’t say that we saw anything but it was creepy and those hallways ALL look the same so it is EASY to get lost.

Hope you get that surprise birthday party your hinting at!
    Alicia recently posted..Weekend Updates: Hiking, Neptune, and Mazes Oh My

9. briana says

I love breakfast! We had a long night at a gala last night and went to a diner this morning, where i inhaled biscuits and a greek omelet!

1. My friends threw me a surprise 16th birthday party…so much fun!
    2. I absolutely hate haunted houses/scary theme parks. When the people jump out from behind trees/walls…I scream and think I’m going to die!
    3. Breakfast foods at brunch-definitely! I usually try to get a good amount of fresh fruit to keep things somewhat healthy :)
    Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Trip to Connecticut

I don’t do haunted houses at all. I would have been way too scared to look around! My boyfriend’s apartment is right next to a historical cemetery and it give me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it! haha. Sounds like you had a fun day!

12. Nicole says

I love the Adelphi Hotel – the back patio is the BEST place to go for drinks in the summertime in Saratoga, in my opinion. It is so cute and cozy, and so far removed from Caroline Street. But I’d def never stay overnight there – pictures of the room creep me out enough, haha :)

13. Shannon says

1. No, but I’m not a big fan of surprises.
    2. Yes. I can’t do horror movies though. They’ve gotten so gory lately- they give me the heebie jeebies.
    3. Breakfast, all the way! 😀