Old Food Favorites and Memories

by Courtney on November 12, 2012

Well good mooooorning to you all! How was the weekend? Fantastic as ever?

**In case you’re wondering, the winner of the Stella & Dot giveaway has been chosen! Head on over to the original post to see if it was you! And as a reminder, you’re still welcome to shop my online trunk show (CLICK HERE), which will get you in the running for the Mystery Hostess rewards (so in other words, there’s still a chance to earn some free goodies!**

Well, here’s a peek at what was happening over here…

While Saturday was a busy one, Sunday wound up being a bit more leisurely. I popped on over to the mall (had to return a crappy iPhone screen protector), browsed around a few stores, had a lovely afternoon iced caramel macchiato, then spent the evening over at my parents’ house.

Mom made lasagna, which usually only makes an appearance on Christmas, so it was quite a treat to have that while watching our Jets stink up the place.

This morning, I woke up super hungry, so I quickly brewed my coffee and then went straight for the peanut butter.

Today’s peanut butter was slathered over a toasted bagel thin, half topped with bananas, and half topped with grape jelly that I randomly got a craving for when I saw it in the fridge.

Man. When I was growing up, I seriously loved me some grape jelly. It was great on peanut butter, but my all-time favorite was made by my grandma…a cream cheese & grape jelly sandwich on white bread.

source

Ohhh, it was just so, so good. She’d make it and then I’d usually squish it all together to make the cream cheese and jelly practically soak right through the bread. It was the best thing going, and nobody made it quite like her.

It’s funny how that happens, isn’t it? All the food memories we still have and hold on to all these years later…

-Still, to this day, I think the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever had were made by my other grandma (my Two Nana’s). She used to serve them on the same folding TV tray every time, which I always looked forward to.

source

Remember those things? Smile

-I went through a phase in kindergarten/first grade, where my favorite sandwich was, get this, Miracle Whip and cheese on white bread. It almost sorta makes me want to gag now.

source

-I’d also have to say another favorite memory of mine was Saturday or Sunday mornings when dad would ask if we wanted to have coffee cake. Did any of you ever have the Aunt Jemima coffee cake?

source

The batter would all go in a mixing bag, so he’d put it all in there and I’d get to be the “squeezer.” I just loved having a special “job” to do with dad.

I could probably go on and on about food memories I have as a child, but I’ll leave it at that. Besides, I’d rather hear what some of yours were!

Questions for the Morning:

• What were some of your favorite foods growing up?
  • What are some of your fondest/funniest/grossest food memories?

1 Brandi November 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

Happy Monday!

Oh my word! I almost can’t even say the words not, but growing up we ate a lot of the “fake” meat. Potted meat, spam, etc…. yack!

A fond memory would be with my grandmother. She would make us chocolate gravy and biscuits nearly every morning when my brother and I would stay with her. :)
Brandi recently posted..7 or 4 mile run

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

I remember mashed dinners being the avoided at all costs..brocolli, carrot and potato was the worst combo! I’d smoother it in ketchup to kill the taste! Over cooked mushed up veggies…eugh! Even worse if you let it go cold! I used to love crisp sandwiches, especially with cheese and also what we call “cream crackers” with Nutella were a firm favourite! A chopped up Granny Smith Apple with Nutella and sprinkles on the side for dipping was a much loved snack. Grape jelly sounds AMAZING!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The handiness of it all

3 Kim @ The Family Practice November 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

Grandmas always make the best sandwiches! Mine made butter and raspberry jam on wheat. So simple but she made it better than anyone else.
Go Seahawks!!! :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Sweet Potato Wontons – NEW APPROACH

4 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction November 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

I remember loving Kraft Mac and Cheese and Dunkaroo’s!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Veterans, Rebels & Runs

5 Blog is the New Black November 12, 2012 at 8:54 am

I gag now remembering the year I ONLY ate tuna….
Blog is the New Black recently posted..White Lightning Chili

6 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 12, 2012 at 8:55 am

I loved grape jelly growing up! It was the only jelly we ever had, but now for sure reason, I buy only strawberry. Weird! My favorite thing was when my dad made me PB and honey sandwiches…still love them!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Our New Kitchen

7 Kim@hungryhealthygirl November 12, 2012 at 9:03 am

My grandma’s Belgium waffles were the best!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Sweet Potato Side Dish & MIMM

8 Hannah R. November 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

I’m totally with you on the Cheese Sandwich! Although it was mayonnaise in our house:) Another favorite of mine would be graham crackers with chocolate frosting in between. My Grandpa loved those:)

9 Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 12, 2012 at 9:13 am

Ahh I loved folding trays! I definitely loved a good junk food snack in my lunch bag growing up. Remember Gushers? I used to love them and now the thought of them is so not appetizing!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Race Goal

10 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

loooooooved gushers!

11 Claire@ Keeping Up With Claire November 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

I used to be alllll about the Toaster Strudels! Pop-Tarts were pretty big for me, too. I’ve always tended to go more for the sweeter foods than savory, so those were right up my alley. And the icing from the Toaster Strudels-somehow the box always ended up being “short” a pack or two. ;) Oops.
Claire@ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Turkey Meatballs & Dogs in Scarves

12 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh my gosh, I know right?! They needed to give about 2 packets per toaster strudel! ;)

13 Katie November 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

I use to eat mayo and cheese sandwiches all the time! And I look back and think it’s totally gross!
Katie recently posted..Loving this time change!

14 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life November 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

I have heard of the cheese and mayo sandwich, but the grape jelly and cream cheese is totally new to me! Ha ha! Some of my favorite treats from childhood was S’more Pop Tarts and Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and I really liked pinto cheese sandwiches and spaghetti with diced tomatoes!

15 Elaine November 12, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’ve never heard of jelly and cream cheese sandwiches! Learn something new every day. :) My favorite sandwich growing up (and still to this day) is a fluffernutter sandwich. My dad always makes it with extra peanut butter. Literally, it probably had half an inch of peanut butter in it. And he would always make it on one slice of bread and fold it over, and call it a peanut butter pocket. The combination of lots of peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and folded over white bread still makes me smile.
Elaine recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

16 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:45 am

That sounds SO good right now! ;)

17 Sarah November 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

I was a fan of Aunt Jemima pancakes, homemade pizza, and annie’s mac and cheese. But man that lasagna looks good!
Sarah recently posted..Regionals Recap

18 Katy November 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

I loved Tuna Helper and Ramen noodles. They were staples in my house growing up!
Katy recently posted..Monday Montage

19 Tara November 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

Making Christmas cookies with my family! She always makes the same sugar cookie batter and we all shape and frost them so much fun! I still get her to do it for my kids so they’ll have that memory:) Also the buttered ritz crackers my mom would make me with my soup when I was sick :)

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

Some of my favorite food memories include my great-grandmother. I use to stay with her during school breaks when I was little, and she always made a huge noon meal for all of us everyday. Also, we had a tradition in our family to go to my other great-grandmother’s house every Saturday for a lunch of beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes. I haven’t thought about that in so long!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Wash Your Spirit Clean

21 Shelly @ Life of a Diet Queen November 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

We grew up eating a lot of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. As I grew older, I was in charge of making it since I made it the best.
My husband grew up eating mayonnaise sandwiches. That’s right, only mayonnaise on white bread. So gross sounding!
Shelly @ Life of a Diet Queen recently posted..Trying to Take the Lazy Out of My Sunday

22 Heather November 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

When I was 7 or 8, my great grandmother introduced me to peanut butter and mayo sandwiches. I remember coming home from staying with her one weekend and my parents were totally grossed out. It definitely grosses me out now.

23 Patty November 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

I use to love Miracle whip and cheese on white bread as a kid. Of course now it doesn’t sound appetizing at all.

24 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hahaha…glad to know I wasn’t the only one! :)

25 AnneMarie November 12, 2012 at 9:55 am

I put Ketchup on pretty much everything I ate when I was younger haha (except kraft dinner I couldn’t understand how people liked that!). I loved all of the sugar filled cereals like corn pops and lucky charms (I would save the all the marshmallows for the end:)

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

Grandmas seriously make the best food. I remember my grandma waking up early every morning and cooking us fresh buttermilk pancakes which she’d sprinkle with powdered sugar. To this day I don’t think I’ve had any pancakes that are as good as hers…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... laughter is the best medicine .

27 Jennifer M. November 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

We always had powdered sugar on pancakes too! I get the strangest looks when I ask for powdered sugar instead of maple syrup for my pancakes, haha! Glad I’m not the only one who has heard of this before!

28 Avery November 12, 2012 at 10:02 am

My grandma makes incredible garlic mashed potatoes every Thanksgiving . . . absolutely to die for. When I was little, she also would always have a sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies in her freezer (never underestimate thin mints dipped in vanilla ice cream). As for something slightly weird, my mom would always send me to school with cucumber/cream cheese tea sandwiches. I still stand by these, though.

29 Beks November 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

My dad used to make me PB and American Cheese. Sounds weird, but it’s surprisingly tasty. I’ve discovered that I prefer it with natural PB now (I just prefer natural PB in general now). I also was addicted to those fried pickles from the KFC buffet. HATE KFC with a fiery passion (Doesn’t matter which branch I go to, in ANY state, I get cold food, a dirty restaurant and bad service), but I loved those pickles!
Beks recently posted..Happy Election Day!

30 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 12, 2012 at 10:34 am

Nothing goes better with peanut butter than grape jelly…that’s just the way it is! ;) But grape jelly and cream cheese? Now that is a new one to me! I’ll have to take your word for it on its tastiness! ;)

One of the weirdest foods that I ate as a child was plain ketchup sandwiches. No meat, no cheese, no toppings..just bread and ketchup. What can I say, I like ketchup! I’d probably still eat it today if someone offered me one haha.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Iowa City Eats: Oasis- The Falafel Joint

31 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

My brother was the same way. LOVED his ketchup!

32 Claire November 12, 2012 at 10:52 am

Waffle Crisps and brown sugar cinnamon poptarts for breakfast were my go tos! I also loved cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches. :D
Claire recently posted..Last Chance Survey

33 Haley S November 12, 2012 at 10:53 am

I had cream cheese and jelly sandwiches on white ALL of the time! I still make one every now and then! My absolute favorite!!! (:

34 Mary November 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

I have some really bad food memories. First, let me just say, my dad was a single dad of two girls, because my mom died when I was little. Second, I have no lasting damage from this, I am not overweight. We had paid help on the weekdays so we ate relatively normally, but on the weekends… For breakfast, my dad would take us to Dunkin Donuts and we would get a dozen donuts. Since there were three of us, we were allowed to pick 4 each!! We were allowed to eat as many of our four as we wanted for breakfast! For lunch or dinner (sometimes both) we often went to McDonald’s. My dad made us get milkshakes because he thought they were healthier than soda. Yep. I am pretty lucky to be alive with no diabetes or heart disease right now. Needless to say, as I learned more about nutrition, I started making better choices (most of the time!!)

35 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh my gosh, Mary! It sounds like your dad was doing his best though, which is still really sweet. :)
Hopefully he knows better about the milkshakes now, haha.

36 Khushboo November 12, 2012 at 11:13 am

I used to love ham & cheese lunchables…ick!
Khushboo recently posted..Breaking the fast

37 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hahaha, the ones with the mini crunch bar were the best ;)

38 Rachel November 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

I used to eat cream cheese and jelly!! I think my favorite memory was my grandma’s pastina she used to make it all the time for me when I was little and my Mom couldn’t get it just right haha
Rachel recently posted..MIMM #15: Honesty Hour

39 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 12, 2012 at 11:34 am

Growing up one of my favorites was Keebler Soft Batch Cookies! Oh man I loved them!! My sandwich of choice was bologna and butter on Wonder Bread! How gross is that?
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Mint Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt / Weekly Recap

40 Courtney November 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

AHHHHHH! They were one of my FAVORITES!! My mom thought they were disgusting, but my dad and I loved them :)

41 Amara November 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

Growing up, I would only eat lettuce and mustard sandwiches on white bread. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it and gagged! I don’t know what I was thinking!

42 Donna November 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

For Sunday lunch my mom always made homemade french fries, oh how I loved Sundays. There would NEVER be enough. We would fight over them. I also remember how when she used to make my dad’s lunch at night, I would take lettuce and dip it into the mayo, oh yuck, but back then I thought it was so yummy.

43 Alyssa @ Life a la Wife November 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Miracle Whip & Cheese – yikes! I used to eat UTZ sour cream and ripples by the huge bags in 3 days. I would eat those and only those!
Alyssa @ Life a la Wife recently posted..Sunday Stuff – 11/11

44 michelle kim November 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I loved breakfast in the mornings. My mom was a stay-at-home mom at the time, so she would make a lot of awesome breakfasts. Blueberry banana pancakes, strawberry crepes, omelettes… it was awesome!
Then once in a while when she was busy, my brother and I would make Easy Mac and eat it with Flaming Hot Cheetos. That’s something that I probably wouldn’t eat anymore, haha.
michelle kim recently posted..Recap in Pictures

45 cait November 12, 2012 at 12:42 pm

oh my goodness that coffee cake was the best. a friend of mine’s dad worked for Quaker who owns Aunt Jemima, so they would always have box after box of products. any time I spent the night at their house, we would make a coffee cake!

46 Lauren November 12, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I didn’t even know Aunt J made a coffee cake! Crazy! My favorite foods growing up were tomato sandwiches – white toasted bread with mayo and fresh tomato slices and Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns. My mom would make these often on Saturday mornings and the smell alone was enough to wake me up.
Lauren recently posted..No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Squares {Smart Balance Healthy Holiday Campaign}

47 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit November 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hilarious, we used to do the grape jelly & cream cheese on white bread too (pepperidge farms!). I don’t think I could eat it now! Other things we ate a ton of…salami sandwiches on white bread with ketchup & pringles on the side! To this day I can’t eat pringles without thinking they taste like ketchup ;)
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Take It All Off…

48 Nicole November 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Anytime my mom served something I found gross for dinner, I would usually go with either a bowl of cereal or ramen…..or, when I was really young: Ketchup sandwiches. White bread + ketchup = carbo heaven!

Does that qualify for gross/favorite food? : )
Nicole recently posted..What I love today….Kashi Go Lean

49 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Jelly and cream cheese? Is it bad that I think that sounds delicious?
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Scolding Hot Gravy.

50 Fizz @ fizzsbizz November 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Being Australian, probably all of my favourite thing would make most people gag! My all time favourite (and it still is) is a vegemite and cheese sandwich ohhhh so good!
But I also used to be a fan of the fake meat. Devon and ketchup sandwiches were all time!!
And I love your memories of your nan’s food. My nan made the best porridge ever and I still don’t know how she did it. Nan’s are the best!
Fizz @ fizzsbizz recently posted..The Chaperone

51 april November 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm

i used to love when my mom made hamburger helper. i loved all the different varieties, especially the beef stroganoff kind!

52 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I went through a phase in elementary school where I ate a pepperoni and cheese sandwich on potato bread everyday. It sounds really weird to me now, but I loved it then!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..The Best Seat in the House

53 Alaina November 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Oh, I love the cream cheese and jelly combo!

When I was in elementary school (probably a result of my involvement in Girl Scouts) my favorite snack was white bread rolled thin topped with butter and sugar and rolled into a tube. Wow.
Alaina recently posted..2012 Citizen’s Bank Pell Bridge Run

54 Brianna November 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My school lunch for about 10 years straight included a fluffernutter sandwich on wheat or potato bread. Gotta love the peanut butter and marshmallow fluff combination! :)
Brianna recently posted..(Almost) Grownup Lunchbox Series – Super Simple Sour Cream Salsa Dressing

55 Bek @ Crave November 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Haha I don’t think I had any ‘gross’ food memories- I was pretty sane back then ;) I remember special sleepovers with my nanna when we would eat her sugared almonds she had in her drawer from weddings- I was gutted when they ran out and I never realised they could be bought haha!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Body Types

56 Courtney F November 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My grandmother would make oatmeal, but would put butter, sugar and bacon pieces in it! She said it would stick to my ribs. (that’s not the only thing!)
Courtney F recently posted..Tea parties and balloons

57 Natalie November 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

A few instant memories are butter and rasberry jam on white bread, Kraft Instant Mac and Cheese with KETCHUP, salami mustard and pickle sandwhiches and get this peanut butter and cheese sandwhiches. Another major memory was my mums balsamic chicken wings and scalloped potatoes. SO GOOD!

58 Becki @Fight4Wellness November 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Oh man, I never used Miracle Whip, but I also used to love cheese and mayo sandwiches. You’re right, it just doesn’t sound appealing now at all. One of my favorite food memories is kind of weird (then again, aren’t most of our food memories?). My mom and I would split the cabbage stalk when she made coleslaw (which she made fresh every couple of days as soon as we ran out of the last batch). The raw stalk sprinkled with a little salt was really delicious at the time. I’m not sure I would even like it now, haha.
Becki @Fight4Wellness recently posted..Weekend Recap & More Ultimate Bootcamp

59 Shannon November 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm

-When I was younger, I was such a picky eater (and I still am- but it’s not as bad as what it used to be). One of my favorite foods, one of the few that I’d actually eat, was bread and butter. It doesn’t taste as well right now as I thought it did when I was younger.
- Instead of eating rolls when my family went out to eat, I would take the little containers of butter and eat the butter with my fingers. Today, I still remember doing that and I can’t believe I did. How gross of me!

60 Lauren B. November 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I loved miracle whip sandwiches with lettuce and mustard. And Vienna sausages…I would snack on them out of the can- so disgusting to me now!!

61 Erin November 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

We used to get donuts on Saturdays and I always always picked the powdered sugar kind. Then I would literally shake off ALL the powdered sugar onto the table and then eat the donut (to get it over with) and then savor the pure powdered sugar I had saved! Hahahaha I still crack up thinking about it.

I also remember eating Lucky Charms while watching the Wizard of Oz. True to form, I would eat the gross part first and save the marshmallows for last!

62 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets November 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hahah so funny how tastes change .. not just as we go from kids to adults, but as a society! White bread was the the rage back in the day ;) I remember having white bread + summer sausage sandwiches for lunch. Yum? ..
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..butter chicken pizza + an apology

63 Molly November 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Jiffy blueberry muffins, homemade donuts(fried pills bury dough), and the chocolate cake on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa tin. With sprinkles of course!!
And baskins-robbins after school :)

64 Naomi November 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Toast at Grandma’s…white bread covered in margarine. The best, and no one could duplicate it.

65 Trisha November 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

Miracle Whip and cheese?! Omg, as a child that would have been my worst nightmare! MW still is! I was a super picky eater growing up so I lived on buttered noodles, cereal, toast, & pickles. I don’t recall ever eating any weird combos but my eating habits in general were just pretty odd.
Trisha recently posted..My Favorite Kind of Weekend

66 Michelle November 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow, I used to eat cheddar cheese, and Miracle Whip sandwiches too!! I thought I was the only crazy one! They were so good though :-)

67 Jennifer M. November 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

my grandma always got this really skinny sliced bread from a local bakery, and she would make us butter and jelly sandwiches – and we loved them! my mom would get mad when we’d go home and tell her what we had, haha. we were just talking about that the other day, grandma’s butter and jelly sandwiches on the skinny white bread. I suppose if the bread was toasted, having butter and jelly on it wouldn’t be weird, only when it’s cold bread does it seem strange…

68 Courtney November 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hahaha, that’s SO true! Thinking of butter and jelly on toast doesn’t sound nearly as odd as a butter and jelly sandwich! ;)