Old Food Favorites and Memories

Well good mooooorning to you all! How was the weekend? Fantastic as ever?

**In case you’re wondering, the winner of the Stella & Dot giveaway has been chosen! Head on over to the original post to see if it was you! And as a reminder, you’re still welcome to shop my online trunk show (CLICK HERE), which will get you in the running for the Mystery Hostess rewards (so in other words, there’s still a chance to earn some free goodies!**

Well, here’s a peek at what was happening over here…

While Saturday was a busy one, Sunday wound up being a bit more leisurely. I popped on over to the mall (had to return a crappy iPhone screen protector), browsed around a few stores, had a lovely afternoon iced caramel macchiato, then spent the evening over at my parents’ house.

Mom made lasagna, which usually only makes an appearance on Christmas, so it was quite a treat to have that while watching our Jets stink up the place.

This morning, I woke up super hungry, so I quickly brewed my coffee and then went straight for the peanut butter.

Today’s peanut butter was slathered over a toasted bagel thin, half topped with bananas, and half topped with grape jelly that I randomly got a craving for when I saw it in the fridge.

Man. When I was growing up, I seriously loved me some grape jelly. It was great on peanut butter, but my all-time favorite was made by my grandma…a cream cheese & grape jelly sandwich on white bread.

Ohhh, it was just so, so good. She’d make it and then I’d usually squish it all together to make the cream cheese and jelly practically soak right through the bread. It was the best thing going, and nobody made it quite like her.

It’s funny how that happens, isn’t it? All the food memories we still have and hold on to all these years later…

-Still, to this day, I think the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever had were made by my other grandma (my Two Nana’s). She used to serve them on the same folding TV tray every time, which I always looked forward to.

Remember those things? Smile

-I went through a phase in kindergarten/first grade, where my favorite sandwich was, get this, Miracle Whip and cheese on white bread. It almost sorta makes me want to gag now.

-I’d also have to say another favorite memory of mine was Saturday or Sunday mornings when dad would ask if we wanted to have coffee cake. Did any of you ever have the Aunt Jemima coffee cake?

The batter would all go in a mixing bag, so he’d put it all in there and I’d get to be the “squeezer.” I just loved having a special “job” to do with dad.

I could probably go on and on about food memories I have as a child, but I’ll leave it at that. Besides, I’d rather hear what some of yours were!

Questions for the Morning:

• What were some of your favorite foods growing up?
  • What are some of your fondest/funniest/grossest food memories?

Happy Monday!

Oh my word! I almost can’t even say the words not, but growing up we ate a lot of the “fake” meat. Potted meat, spam, etc…. yack!

A fond memory would be with my grandmother. She would make us chocolate gravy and biscuits nearly every morning when my brother and I would stay with her. :)
    Brandi recently posted..7 or 4 mile run

I remember mashed dinners being the avoided at all costs..brocolli, carrot and potato was the worst combo! I’d smoother it in ketchup to kill the taste! Over cooked mushed up veggies…eugh! Even worse if you let it go cold! I used to love crisp sandwiches, especially with cheese and also what we call “cream crackers” with Nutella were a firm favourite! A chopped up Granny Smith Apple with Nutella and sprinkles on the side for dipping was a much loved snack. Grape jelly sounds AMAZING!!!
    Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The handiness of it all

I’m totally with you on the Cheese Sandwich! Although it was mayonnaise in our house:) Another favorite of mine would be graham crackers with chocolate frosting in between. My Grandpa loved those:)

I have heard of the cheese and mayo sandwich, but the grape jelly and cream cheese is totally new to me! Ha ha! Some of my favorite treats from childhood was S’more Pop Tarts and Cream of Wheat for breakfast, and I really liked pinto cheese sandwiches and spaghetti with diced tomatoes!

I’ve never heard of jelly and cream cheese sandwiches! Learn something new every day. :) My favorite sandwich growing up (and still to this day) is a fluffernutter sandwich. My dad always makes it with extra peanut butter. Literally, it probably had half an inch of peanut butter in it. And he would always make it on one slice of bread and fold it over, and call it a peanut butter pocket. The combination of lots of peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and folded over white bread still makes me smile.
    Elaine recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

6. Tara says

Making Christmas cookies with my family! She always makes the same sugar cookie batter and we all shape and frost them so much fun! I still get her to do it for my kids so they’ll have that memory:) Also the buttered ritz crackers my mom would make me with my soup when I was sick :)

Some of my favorite food memories include my great-grandmother. I use to stay with her during school breaks when I was little, and she always made a huge noon meal for all of us everyday. Also, we had a tradition in our family to go to my other great-grandmother’s house every Saturday for a lunch of beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes. I haven’t thought about that in so long!
    Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Wash Your Spirit Clean

When I was 7 or 8, my great grandmother introduced me to peanut butter and mayo sandwiches. I remember coming home from staying with her one weekend and my parents were totally grossed out. It definitely grosses me out now.

9. AnneMarie says

I put Ketchup on pretty much everything I ate when I was younger haha (except kraft dinner I couldn’t understand how people liked that!). I loved all of the sugar filled cereals like corn pops and lucky charms (I would save the all the marshmallows for the end:)

• Jennifer M. says

We always had powdered sugar on pancakes too! I get the strangest looks when I ask for powdered sugar instead of maple syrup for my pancakes, haha! Glad I’m not the only one who has heard of this before!

10. Avery says

My grandma makes incredible garlic mashed potatoes every Thanksgiving . . . absolutely to die for. When I was little, she also would always have a sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies in her freezer (never underestimate thin mints dipped in vanilla ice cream). As for something slightly weird, my mom would always send me to school with cucumber/cream cheese tea sandwiches. I still stand by these, though.

My dad used to make me PB and American Cheese. Sounds weird, but it’s surprisingly tasty. I’ve discovered that I prefer it with natural PB now (I just prefer natural PB in general now). I also was addicted to those fried pickles from the KFC buffet. HATE KFC with a fiery passion (Doesn’t matter which branch I go to, in ANY state, I get cold food, a dirty restaurant and bad service), but I loved those pickles!
    Beks recently posted..Happy Election Day!

Nothing goes better with peanut butter than grape jelly…that’s just the way it is! 😉 But grape jelly and cream cheese? Now that is a new one to me! I’ll have to take your word for it on its tastiness! 😉

One of the weirdest foods that I ate as a child was plain ketchup sandwiches. No meat, no cheese, no toppings..just bread and ketchup. What can I say, I like ketchup! I’d probably still eat it today if someone offered me one haha.
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Iowa City Eats: Oasis- The Falafel Joint

13. Haley S says

I had cream cheese and jelly sandwiches on white ALL of the time! I still make one every now and then! My absolute favorite!!! (:

14. Mary says

I have some really bad food memories. First, let me just say, my dad was a single dad of two girls, because my mom died when I was little. Second, I have no lasting damage from this, I am not overweight. We had paid help on the weekdays so we ate relatively normally, but on the weekends… For breakfast, my dad would take us to Dunkin Donuts and we would get a dozen donuts. Since there were three of us, we were allowed to pick 4 each!! We were allowed to eat as many of our four as we wanted for breakfast! For lunch or dinner (sometimes both) we often went to McDonald’s. My dad made us get milkshakes because he thought they were healthier than soda. Yep. I am pretty lucky to be alive with no diabetes or heart disease right now. Needless to say, as I learned more about nutrition, I started making better choices (most of the time!!)

• Courtney says

Oh my gosh, Mary! It sounds like your dad was doing his best though, which is still really sweet. :)
      Hopefully he knows better about the milkshakes now, haha.

15. Amara says

Growing up, I would only eat lettuce and mustard sandwiches on white bread. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it and gagged! I don’t know what I was thinking!

16. Donna says

For Sunday lunch my mom always made homemade french fries, oh how I loved Sundays. There would NEVER be enough. We would fight over them. I also remember how when she used to make my dad’s lunch at night, I would take lettuce and dip it into the mayo, oh yuck, but back then I thought it was so yummy.

I loved breakfast in the mornings. My mom was a stay-at-home mom at the time, so she would make a lot of awesome breakfasts. Blueberry banana pancakes, strawberry crepes, omelettes… it was awesome!
    Then once in a while when she was busy, my brother and I would make Easy Mac and eat it with Flaming Hot Cheetos. That’s something that I probably wouldn’t eat anymore, haha.
    michelle kim recently posted..Recap in Pictures

18. cait says

oh my goodness that coffee cake was the best. a friend of mine’s dad worked for Quaker who owns Aunt Jemima, so they would always have box after box of products. any time I spent the night at their house, we would make a coffee cake!

Hilarious, we used to do the grape jelly & cream cheese on white bread too (pepperidge farms!). I don’t think I could eat it now! Other things we ate a ton of…salami sandwiches on white bread with ketchup & pringles on the side! To this day I can’t eat pringles without thinking they taste like ketchup 😉
    Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Take It All Off…

Being Australian, probably all of my favourite thing would make most people gag! My all time favourite (and it still is) is a vegemite and cheese sandwich ohhhh so good!
    But I also used to be a fan of the fake meat. Devon and ketchup sandwiches were all time!!
    And I love your memories of your nan’s food. My nan made the best porridge ever and I still don’t know how she did it. Nan’s are the best!
    Fizz @ fizzsbizz recently posted..The Chaperone

21. april says

i used to love when my mom made hamburger helper. i loved all the different varieties, especially the beef stroganoff kind!

Haha I don’t think I had any ‘gross’ food memories- I was pretty sane back then 😉 I remember special sleepovers with my nanna when we would eat her sugared almonds she had in her drawer from weddings- I was gutted when they ran out and I never realised they could be bought haha!
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Body Types

23. Natalie says

A few instant memories are butter and rasberry jam on white bread, Kraft Instant Mac and Cheese with KETCHUP, salami mustard and pickle sandwhiches and get this peanut butter and cheese sandwhiches. Another major memory was my mums balsamic chicken wings and scalloped potatoes. SO GOOD!

Oh man, I never used Miracle Whip, but I also used to love cheese and mayo sandwiches. You’re right, it just doesn’t sound appealing now at all. One of my favorite food memories is kind of weird (then again, aren’t most of our food memories?). My mom and I would split the cabbage stalk when she made coleslaw (which she made fresh every couple of days as soon as we ran out of the last batch). The raw stalk sprinkled with a little salt was really delicious at the time. I’m not sure I would even like it now, haha.
    Becki @Fight4Wellness recently posted..Weekend Recap & More Ultimate Bootcamp

25. Shannon says

-When I was younger, I was such a picky eater (and I still am- but it’s not as bad as what it used to be). One of my favorite foods, one of the few that I’d actually eat, was bread and butter. It doesn’t taste as well right now as I thought it did when I was younger.
    – Instead of eating rolls when my family went out to eat, I would take the little containers of butter and eat the butter with my fingers. Today, I still remember doing that and I can’t believe I did. How gross of me!

26. Lauren B. says

I loved miracle whip sandwiches with lettuce and mustard. And Vienna sausages…I would snack on them out of the can- so disgusting to me now!!

27. Erin says

We used to get donuts on Saturdays and I always always picked the powdered sugar kind. Then I would literally shake off ALL the powdered sugar onto the table and then eat the donut (to get it over with) and then savor the pure powdered sugar I had saved! Hahahaha I still crack up thinking about it.

I also remember eating Lucky Charms while watching the Wizard of Oz. True to form, I would eat the gross part first and save the marshmallows for last!

28. Molly says

Jiffy blueberry muffins, homemade donuts(fried pills bury dough), and the chocolate cake on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa tin. With sprinkles of course!!
    And baskins-robbins after school :)

Miracle Whip and cheese?! Omg, as a child that would have been my worst nightmare! MW still is! I was a super picky eater growing up so I lived on buttered noodles, cereal, toast, & pickles. I don’t recall ever eating any weird combos but my eating habits in general were just pretty odd.
    Trisha recently posted..My Favorite Kind of Weekend

30. Michelle says

Wow, I used to eat cheddar cheese, and Miracle Whip sandwiches too!! I thought I was the only crazy one! They were so good though :-)

31. Jennifer M. says

my grandma always got this really skinny sliced bread from a local bakery, and she would make us butter and jelly sandwiches – and we loved them! my mom would get mad when we’d go home and tell her what we had, haha. we were just talking about that the other day, grandma’s butter and jelly sandwiches on the skinny white bread. I suppose if the bread was toasted, having butter and jelly on it wouldn’t be weird, only when it’s cold bread does it seem strange…

• Courtney says

Hahaha, that’s SO true! Thinking of butter and jelly on toast doesn’t sound nearly as odd as a butter and jelly sandwich! 😉