House Projects on Black Friday

by Courtney on November 24, 2012

Good moooooorning! How was everyone’s Black Friday? Did you shop ‘til you dropped, or avoid the crowds completely? Besides a quick trip into Walmart on Thanksgiving night to buy shampoo for a rug cleaner (which was quite amusing to see everyone crowding around the various spots in the store before the deals were done and they were “let loose”) we didn’t do any shopping.

Instead, we actually tackled quite a few projects around the house…

We shampooed the rugs, hence the random furniture everywhere.

We cleaned out one of our basement closets, which was quite a project.

I took down all of the fall decorations.

And then it was time to put up the Christmas treeeeeee. Looks pretty good like that, right? Winking smile

I listened to my Mariah Carey holiday station on Pandora all afternoon long while I decorated the living room. I’ll tell ya…I have way too much fun decorating for Christmas!

We also decided to move our tree to a different spot this year; every year we’ve lived here, it’s always been in front of the big window because, well, it just seemed like the right thing to do. But this year, we decided to switch things up a bit.

So since we moved the tree, we also had to do a little rearranging of the furniture which, I must say, I like way more than I expected (here’s what it looked like before).

TA DA!!

So much more roomy! We may just have to keep this setup for a while now. Smile

Around the time I finished up inside, Jay also finished up with the Christmas lights outside, so we put in my favorite day-after-Thanksgiving movie (Elf), and enjoyed some delicious leftovers for dinner.

There was really no question what was going to be for dinner…I had been waiting for it all day.

Mom’s homemade applesauce,

And a turkey, stuffing, provolone, and cranberry sandwich on whole wheat toast. THE best leftover Thanksgiving meal ever, in my opinion.

It was definitely a busy and productive day, and a good one at that. The three of us definitely enjoyed a little down time for the rest of the evening by the tree before calling it a night.

Oh yeah…Cody says hi and he hopes you have a great weekend. Winking smile

1 Shari November 24, 2012 at 9:02 am

Your tree is gorgeous!
Shari recently posted..Today & Always.

2 Brandi November 24, 2012 at 9:03 am

Everything looks great Courtney! Love your Christmas tree! ;) I am not a huge Will Farrell fan, but that Elf movie just cracks me up. :)
Have a great day!
Brandi recently posted..Elf For Health Challenge!

3 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

Mmmm, that sandwich does sound delicious! I sort of went Black Friday shopping–just took a quick trip to my local running and biking stores yesterday afternoon. Lots of great deals and zero crowds, aka the best of both worlds! :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Thanksgiving 2012 in Pictures

4 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third November 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

What a fun day! We were running around all day visiting family that we didn’t see on Thanksgiving, so unfortunatly, the Christmas decorating had to wait… but I’m all over it come next weekend! Love the tree set-up by the way!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..First Trimester in review.

5 Steph @ StephSnacks November 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

What a beautiful Christmas set up! I can’t wait for my room mate and I to set up our tree!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Thanksgiving

6 Danica @ It's Progression November 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

We’re setting up our Christmas tree and decorations tomorrow and this post makes me so excited for it! Yours looks great! Christmas decorations automatically make a house comfy and cozy. Oh, and the Michael Buble holiday station will definitely be playing in our house while we decorate too :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..it had to be the power of prayer

7 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

Wow, it sounds like you had a way more productive Black Friday than most people!! ;)

P.s. I love your Christmas decorations. It all looks so cozy, warm, and homey. I am starting to get in the spirit!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Roma Tomato and Avocado Salad

8 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I kind of love rearranging furniture and tackling house projects, so I’d say it was Black Friday well spent :D I didn’t do any shopping yesterday, and I tried to avoid the malls as much as possible. I didn’t even think Black Friday was a huge thing in Canada, but the stores were absolutely packed. It would have been nice to go see some of the deals, but I’m not a big fan of crazy crowds and long lines.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #7 .

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 24, 2012 at 10:32 am

Mmm, that leftover sandwich sounds good!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Thanksgiving 2012

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

The tree looks beautiful! I’m going to get all my decorating done today, and I can’t wait!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

11 Lisa November 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

I love your tree and the way you reconfigured the room. It does look more roomy. I braved the mall at 9am this morning. No one was there. Got what I needed and was out by 10:45. How does Cody handle the tree? When our cat was alive he would hide under the tree so sometimes all you would see would be his tail hanging out from under the branches. It was too cute.
Enjoy the rest of your decorating.

12 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

Great set-up! I can’t believe you got your tree up already!!! I need to find mine in the garage!! Have a super fab Saturday!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Granola

13 Angela @ Beauty in Strength November 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

The decorations look beautiful! Having Thanksgiving leftovers and watching Elf seem like the perfect night!
Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..Fact Filled Friday #2

14 Sherice@foodieluvsfitness November 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love smiling, Smiling my favorite!! ;)

15 Courtney November 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm
16 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I was at Wal-Mart on Thursday night also–for 1 deal which I did end up getting :)
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Mental Strength

17 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Leftovers are so good…especially because they involve so little effort! It will be another couple of weeks before trees go up in Ireland…dying to put it up now!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Fat Practicalities

18 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets November 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This just warms my heart! Isn’t decorating for Christmas and getting into the spirit the best thing ever? Sad but true: I actually get tears of joy thinking about how exciting this time of year is.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..butter chicken pizza + an apology

19 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Your house looks BEAUTIFUL! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Turkey Trot 2012

20 Beth November 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Ha! I was the same as you – my only ‘Black Friday’ shopping was around 9pm Thanksgiving night when we had to make an emergency Walmart trip for a breakfast crockpot casserole we were having Friday morning (we needed a dozen eggs and only had 2. Oops!) There were tons of people in the grocery section and I had no idea what was going on – I finally asked an employee and she said it was the line for one of the sale TVs. The table with the TV stickers was right in front of the case with the eggs; I got a very weird look when I told them I really was there for eggs!

21 Julissa November 24, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I tried this sandwich for dinner tonight using our leftover- holyyy moley was it GOOD! I now know what I’ll do each year with our leftovers :)

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Love the way your furniture is set up now!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday… better late than never

23 Bek @ Crave November 25, 2012 at 3:17 am

Your tree looks beautiful! Love the set up ;) Normally we wait till the 1st of December but we’ll have to do the tree a week after because we will be moving house and it’s too much of a mission to set it up, pack it away and set it up again!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..I Ain’t Eating That