Pumpkin Spice Cake Roll

by Courtney on November 27, 2012

I know some of you have been waiting for this!

And with good reason…as soon as I took the first bite out of this thing, I knew it was going to get added to the rotation of regular holiday treats. It’s just so good.

I know I mentioned the thing before about being afraid of desserts that roll, but honestly, this was way easier than I could have expected. I think the one key thing to do, when turning the cake out onto your towel (see directions below) is to make sure it’s covered with PLENTY of powdered sugar. Mine had a few bare spots, and the cake wound up sticking a bit.

I’d also be willing to bet that this would be good with some sort of glaze on top. Perhaps the vanilla glaze from my cranberry apple cookies would work?

Hey, even without a glaze, this pumpkin cake roll is absolutely to-die-for…

so thank you x10000 to my bestie’s mom, Josie, for sharing this recipe with me. It is a keeper!!

*A jelly roll pan is a wide, flat pan similar to a cookie sheet or baking sheet with sides. The sides are 1-inch deep and the most all-purpose size is 12½ x 17½ by 1 inch.

*****

I’m pretty positive this will be made again for Christmas…along with all of the other holiday baking I do. Ooooo, I’m so excited for Christmas cookie baking! Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What is one recipe that you most look forward to every holiday season?

I have a ton, but some of my top favorites would have to be cookies that I only make around Christmas time: Snickerdoodles, Raspberry Almond Gems, and Mexican Wedding Cookies.

1 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Oohh I love this! Looks fantastic!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm

You make it sound so simple! It’s a beauty!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A childhood favourite

3 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries November 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm

AHHH someone else who understands the delicious-ness of pumpkin rolls (as we call them in our family ;)). My grandma has been making these for over 40 years! We have extremely similar recipes, except my family tends to use a little extra powdered sugar ;) http://sarashoup.com/2011/11/09/pumpkin-beer-pumpkin-rolls/
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Livin’ Like a VIP

4 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Delicious! I’ll have to add it to my rotation!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Dear Santa

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

YUM! I’m sure this is amazing! Desserts that “roll” intimidate me too, so I’m glad to hear it’s not that difficult. Definitely making this soon!!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Surprise!

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This pumpkin spice cake roll looks so good! I’ve always wanted to make one of these but I’m afraid of the rolling process. I definitely need to try it though cause this looks delicious! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Pasta Night in the Ninja Cooking System!…

7 Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I always make Paula Deen’s pumpkin bars. They are to diiiiie for!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Post-Vacation Goals

8 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I’ve never made a dessert that rolls either, but I want to give it a try. I always look forward to chocolate truffles each year–they are too rich for the majority of my family, so I always get the extras!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..How To Start A Blog

9 carlyn November 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

You could make it a GINGERBREAD ROLL for christmas ;)
carlyn recently posted..Keeping you on the edge of your seat

10 Amy @Macncheesenpeas November 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm

looks amazing! I am also intimidated by rolling desserts~
Amy @Macncheesenpeas recently posted..Yoga Wisdom from Om Gal (aka Rebecca Pacheco)

11 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna November 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm

i’ve always been afraid of making these because of the whole rolling process but i think i miiight just give this one a go! :)
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Giving Thanks & My 18th

12 Naomi November 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Ooh frosted sugar cookies, molasses cookies, and pecan snowballs. Although I tried pecan pie for the first time at Thanksgiving, and now I really want more! So that will probably be in the rotation this year too :)

13 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

That has to be one of the best looking desserts ever! Yum.

My favorite seasonal treat are my Mom’s pecan bars. They are to die for. So good. Thanks goodness they’re only once (or twice, if I’m lucky) a year. They are dangerous. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Celebrating in the City

14 Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

snicker-doodles for sure…and those spritz cookies….and the pb with the kisses in them…or really any homemade cookie!
Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com recently posted..A look back at Israel

15 Sarah November 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Yummm it looks so perfect! Jealoussss :)
Sarah recently posted..Workout ADD and accomplishing the impossible

16 Lisa November 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I’m dying over how amazing this looks! I agree, rolls sound totally intimidating. I’d be so nervous I’d mess it up. That and yeast are my biggest fears in baking. I should get over that.
Lisa recently posted..Little Moments

17 michelle kim November 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Yum! Sounds and looks soooo good!
I’m looking forward to all the holiday wrappers and holiday-themed cups (like the Sbux cups!). Also, the boxes of chocolates during this time of year are awesome, too :)
michelle kim recently posted..Gearing Up

18 kait November 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

This has been in my family’s holiday line up ever since I was a little girl! My mom always chops walnuts and coats the outside of the roll in them. They are a delicious addition! (Highly recommended!) SO yummy!

19 Jean November 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve never made a roll before, and have a question. Does the towel actually get rolled up with the cake the first time?

20 Courtney November 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Yup :)

21 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction November 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I loveeeeeee Mexican Wedding cookies! That roll looks amazing…I bet it would be awesome with red velvet cake too!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..And They’re Up!

22 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Feel free to bake me some cookies while you’re at it!! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Eggplant, Tomato, and Feta Cheese Stacks

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

The looks so delicious! I’ve never made a cake roll before, it’s sort of on my bucket list! haha…the holiday dish I most look forward to this time of year is my molasses spice cookies. They pretty much taste like Christmas to me at this point. Great tradition!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thanksgiving Weekend, I Miss You Already

24 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Yum! I seriously want to make this, like, right now. I haven’t had a pumpkin cake roll in ages, and this one sounds soo good!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..21 Weeks: The Big Gender Reveal

25 Shannon November 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Pumpkin pie. Yummy yummy! :)

26 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third November 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This looks amazing! I’m looking forward to making snickerdoodles and oreo cream cheese balls! Yummmm.
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..First Trimester in review.

27 Angela @ Beauty in Strength November 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

My mother’s Italian ricotta cookies! They are a mix between a cookie and a cake and delicious!
Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Bars

28 Katie November 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm

My favorite recipe is probably Christmas cookies…decorating them–aka not even a recipe. I just love decorating them with friends.
Katie recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Cranberry Salsa

29 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns November 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm

always look forward to mexican wedding cookies, anymore i practically have to beg my aunt to make them, so maybe i should make them :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..I’m Back!!!

30 Annette@FitnessPerks November 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I love pumpkin rolls. MUST give this one a try!! Yumm.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..A Taste of My Synergy Stew

31 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever made the same holiday cookie recipe back-to-back…what can I say, I love to experiment! Although last year I made peppermint nanaimo bars…considering that nanaimo bars are my favourite dessert that may be happening again soon!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Adjust and Continue.

32 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I have always wanted to try making a roll dessert. Glad you had success!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Deck of Cards Workout

33 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

This honestly looks SO FREAKING DELICIOUS and gets my mind wandering on alternatives…. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I am a runner.

34 Khushboo November 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I’ve never made a dessert roll but I used to be so intimidated by the rolling part of making sushi- much easier than I expected!
Khushboo recently posted..A workout hiatus

35 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 28, 2012 at 1:35 am

This looks amazing! I am just getting into desserts (goodness cooking actually) so I really want to try this! You make it seem so easy ^_^
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Squats, Christmas Cards & Ginger Snowflakes…Oh My!

36 Linz @ Itz Linz November 28, 2012 at 7:41 am

holy cow this looks amazing!! and i love how fancy it looks… sure to impress!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Gobble! Gobble!

37 Kim@hungryhealthygirl November 28, 2012 at 10:53 am

Wowsers that looks amazing! The ingredient list is really simple too. Looks like a must try for the holidays!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..WIAW collage style!

38 Sarah November 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Chocolate-raspberry cream cheese bars. Divine!

39 Jentry Nielsen November 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yes! Ever since you first pictured this delight on your site I’ve been having cravings since! ha Sounds so delicious and easy to make too! Sounds like a perfect holiday treat, I’ll have to try it out this weekend first, make sure I get it right ;)
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Cyber Monday NordicTrack Sale