Two Pals Couldn’t Steer Me Wrong

by Courtney on December 3, 2012

Hey, guess what?

I FINALLY used up that butternut squash of mine yesterday.

And it is now in the form of the most incredible soup, all courtesy of my pal, Chelsey. I actually had thought I was going to make a different soup, but then the other day, I got talking with my other pal, Alyssa. She told me that she saw I had a squash to be used up and that I had to try Chelsey’s Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apple Soup recipe. I figured two pals couldn’t steer me wrong, so I made it yesterday and WOW. It was a fantastic decision.

Lucky for me, the thought of squash soup weirds Jay out, so it looks like the whole batch is all for meeeee. I’d love to put one of the containers in the freezer but, umm, there’s no room right now so we’ll have to see what to do about that. I’m thinking that it’s about time we bite the bullet and invest and a small chest freezer.

My soup wasn’t done until after I had my dinner last night, so even though I tasted it then, I didn’t get to enjoy a full bowl until today.

To go along with my soup, I had another awesome grilled cheese with provolone, tomato, turkey bacon, and spinach.

I really cannot get enough of this sandwich right now…it is SO good.

*****

Workout

Earlier today, I made sure to get my reps in for the Closeout Workout Challenge:

• 15 squats
  • 15 pushups
  • 20 lunges
  • 15 chair dips
  • 15 plie squats
  • Plus a 30 minute interval walk

I’m planning on doing another set of my reps later this afternoon, for a total of 160 reps for the day. Woot! From what I’ve seen on the challenge page, you guys are killing it with these reps so far…keep up the great work! And if you haven’t joined in yet…what are you waiting for? Winking smile

*****

Time to get back to work…catch you guys later!

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s one thing a friend has recently recommended that didn’t steer you wrong?

1 Blog is the New black December 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Um, I will be making that soup VERY soon.
Blog is the New black recently posted..Peppermint-Frosted Fudgy Brownies

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I recently marked a recipe for butternut and apple soup! Sounds SOOO good to me!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Alabama Shakes!

3 Lisa December 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Ohh, I just picked up some more butternut, so I’m off to check out that recipe! Looks amazing! Butternut soup is just incredible. I need to get in my reps for the Closeout Challenge. Off to do that after some lunch!
Lisa recently posted..Easing Into December

4 alyssa - life a la wife December 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Chelsey makes AMAZING soups :)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Gift Guide – The Hostess

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’ve been meaning to make butternut soup ever since the weather turned cooler! Definitely going to try this!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Family Gives The Best Presents

6 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Yum! Chelsey has the best soup recipes!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Deck the Halls

7 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson December 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I think I want to make this soup now….and grilled cheese!

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I love the combination of butternut and apple! Definitely thinking I’ll have to take a look at that recipe.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk–December.

9 Michelle@Peachy Palate December 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Nothing like a good soup and sandwich combo!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Tastes better after a break

10 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny December 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I actually just found out about Butternut Squash soup. Never knew that butternut Squash could taste so good!

Love your challenge of course!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..What I am doing – December!

11 michelle kim December 3, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Oh, MAN! That soup looks so good. Perfect for the rainy days we’ve been having in SF. Love the vibrant color, too!
michelle kim recently posted..California International Marathon Recap

12 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

A friend advised me to try these garlic parmesan-sauced chicken fingers at a local restaurant and they seriously blew me out of the water. I was dipping my fingers directly into the garlicky sauce after awhile. I can’t believe I waited this long to try them!
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..Beautiful Boston Weather…in December?

13 Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) December 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Just signed up for your challenge and posted it on my blog also. And got a few reps in today too. Love the idea of these internet challenges!! SO fun
Sarah (Shh…Fit Happens) recently posted..Holiday Fitness Challenges

14 Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 3, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Your lunch looks fantastic, luckily I have a butternut squash I need to use, so I may just copy you tomorrow for lunch!

15 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

That soup looks and sounds GOOD!

I absolutely love cooking large batches of food so that I have plenty of leftovers. The only problem? No place to store/freeze them! :( I am also thinking that a small deep freeze may be in order for me.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegetable, Lentil, and Barley Stew

16 Emily December 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Over the weekend, my husband recommended that we make a chocolate cream pie- a dessert that we ate a lot when we first started dating but hadn’t made in a long time. It was a really good idea :)
Emily recently posted..Frozen food

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Yesss! I’m actually making my own batch tonight! Glad you love it as much as I do. ;) xoxo
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Aida: The Last One

18 Marielle December 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My friend suggested I try a black bean soup from the trader joes cookbook and it was so so good and easy to make as well!
Have a gret Courtney!
Marielle recently posted..Me Time

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I remember being completely weirded out by the idea of squash in soup as well, and then I tried a curried apple pumpkin soup that just totally blew my mind. Definitely craving a big bowl of that right now, and a grilled cheese sandwich wouldn’t be too bad either :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas .

20 Shannon December 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Reading Thought Catalog- such a funny and relatable website/blog.

21 Danielle December 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ve never thought of making soup out of a squash! If I ever have squash laying around I know what I am going to do with it
Danielle recently posted..Duck, Duck, Goose!

22 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns December 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm

for thanksgiving i had a similar soup, it was potato and pumpkin!! after writing that i guess its ingredients weren’t similar lol the color was
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Too Much Thinking

23 Connie @ Livin' Lean December 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Whenever I start eating grilled cheeses, I keep craving them! I think you’re about to get me started on a grilled cheese kick again;)
Connie @ Livin’ Lean recently posted..Wedding Fun

24 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections December 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I love the plate! I have some holiday plates that I only use around this time of year. It just brings a smile to my meal :)
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Manicure Monday: Another Festive One

25 Andre December 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Bahhhhhhh I am obsessed with butternut squash. And my boyfriend doesn’t eat it either so it’s all for me! I put it in the crock pot with maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and some chicken broth and it it unreal!
Andre recently posted..2012 Challenge + Weekend recipe wins

26 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

love me some butternut. think i’m gonna roast some for dinner.
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted..On Overtraining

27 Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm

So many of my favorite ladies all in one post – you, Chelsey, and Alyssa! You reminded me I need to make that soup. Yum!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Move It Monday: BBB Round 4 Registration Now OPEN

28 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath December 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm

your grilled sandwiches always look so delicious–I may need to copy you girl! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Insecurity Central

29 Lauren December 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Soup sounds fantastic! Toly is not into squash soup so every time I make it, it lasts for the week. And we all know, leftover soup is where it’s at!
Lauren recently posted..Up Up and Away….Again!

30 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Just joined the challenge! How fun!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..A New Haircut & Healthy Living on the Cheap

31 Lyric December 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Omg, I recently made Oh She Glows butternut and red lentil stew which was really good! A friend recently recommended shopping for the weekend and it defiantly steered me the right way!
Lyric recently posted..Adventures in Victoria

32 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 4, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love butternut squash and apple soup! I actually made some in my slow cooker for Thanksgiving! It turned out great. So good :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Mike’s Birthday Weekend!…

33 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

That grilled cheese looks so good! Adding the tomato is great.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Downtown Jingle 5K and Other Weekend Activities

34 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm

A chest freezer is a must; saves so much cooking time!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Overnight Oats with a Twist

35 Bek @ Crave December 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Getting this delicious salad from Grill’d- ahh so good.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..My Christmas List