Twitter Goes Viral for #518 Crash Survivors

by Courtney on December 4, 2012

You know, I’ve long said that the power of social media and Twitter is pretty amazing. And last night was just further proof of that…

If you live locally here in the capital region of NY, then you’ve most likely heard about the recent tragic and fatal accident on Saturday, killing two high school students and badly injuring two others. As I was browsing through Facebook last night, I noticed that there was quite a bit of chatter about getting the community to rally together to help get those two hashtags viral on Twitter.

Sure enough, within a few hours they not only went viral, but they also worked…

tebow

To be quite honest, the whole thing made me a bit emotional! To see something like this come out of such a horrible event was really uplifting and inspiring. Tebow may not be doing a whole lot for my Jets right now, but I think he is one classy guy. Thanks, Tebow!

So before any of that started happening last night, there was some dinner consumed.

I roasted a big batch of asparagus, so I had some of that along with the rest of the leftover spicy chicken from last week.

My favorite part of the meal though (since I am the carb queen, and all) had to be the TJ’s naan topped with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Mmmmm, it was so good.

Shortly after dinner, while all the Twitter phenomenon was taking place, Jay and I settled in to watch HIMYM (still a little slow, but getting better) and The Voice. There were soooo many amazing performances last night! I’m going to guess that Miranda will be voted off, but I think my top two favorites right now would have to be Cassidy and Amanda. Mannnn, they can sing!

*****

Breakfast

This bowl of cereal rocked my morning.

I blame it on the blueberries…they were surprisingly good today, and I can’t even remember the last time that I had them? They joined the two usual suspects as of late – Honey Nut Cheerios and Quaker Oatmeal Squares – along with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I was *this close* to going back for seconds had there been extra milk left.

*****

Gotta jet…things to do, places to go, people to see!

Question for the Morning:

When has the power of social media influenced, affected, or impressed you?

1 Danielle December 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

This made me so proud to a part of the 518!!!! It’s nice to know we live ina community that will rally during a tragedy!

2 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie December 4, 2012 at 9:17 am

I do love that through social media. people are willing to step out and help out in situations like this! It’s so sad, but great that people show they care. Also, I love Tebow — like a lot :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Rob Delaney and Life of Pi

3 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

Love Tebow, and I’m not even an NFL fan. :)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Healthy on a Budget: Gifts that Keep Giving

4 alyssa - life a la wife December 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

I saw this too and thought it was so sweet. Such a little thing for them to do but it means so much. I hope Bailey gets her call too!
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Broccoli Cheesy Rice (Grandma’s Recipe)

5 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’m originally from the 518 and hearing about the crash and the innocent lives lost was heartbreaking. I love that the community got together to support the families and the surviving two students. I also love that the two schools, Shen and Shaker united together.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Where Do I Go from Here?

6 Danica @ It's Progression December 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

love that Tebow called him…very cool!
It’s so amazing when people use social media to HELP other people…it can be such a powerful tool if we use it right!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..my favorite healthy snacks

7 Megan@funsizedfitness December 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Social media definitely helps motivate me to be healthy throughout the day…especially with Health.com’s facebook updates :)
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..The Most Mouth-Watering Pb&J Ever!

8 Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

I work as an intern at a nonprofit and my biggest responsibility is social media. Through my job, I have seen so many inspirational stories shared about simple acts of kindness…like last week when that picture of a cop giving the homeless man shoes went viral, amazing!

I love HIMYM, and hope that it picks up for you soon!
Molly @ Happy&Healthy recently posted..Claw Grabber Machine?

9 Katie December 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

I love naan! It takes everything in me not to grab it at the store because I will eat lots and lots of it… :)
Katie recently posted..Cougars, Dolphins, and Justin Beaver

10 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 4, 2012 at 9:58 am

Twitter is quite amazing, now isn’t it??

TJ’s naan is awesome. It definitely makes the meal! I am about to enjoy a delicious cereal breakfast here myself in a couple of minutes. I can’t wait! I always measure my cereal to make sure I don’t go TOOO crazy, and I eat half in one sitting and then go back for the other half so that way I feel like I am getting “seconds” without eating cups and cups of cereal. It works pretty well for me!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegetable, Lentil, and Barley Stew

11 Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

That’s so great! I once found a dog in college without a collar. I had him at my apartment for a day. My friend ended up being Facebook friends with the owner who changed his profile picture to a picture of the dog. We happily got him back to his owner, thanks to Facebook!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..A Good Combination and Race Registration

12 Alyssa December 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

I was reading about this last night… really puts life in perspective for you. Less worrying about the little stuff, more loving those around you. Am I right?

xoxo
Alyssa recently posted..Can We Please Discuss

13 Rachel December 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

Social media is amazing… during the Hurricane when I was without power I relied on Twitter/Facebook to see what was going on (thru my phone)… that story is so sad, those poor kids :/
Rachel recently posted..The Doctor is In

14 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables December 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

I loved this! Tebow is so classy!!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..What is “Fit”

15 Linz @ Itz Linz December 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love seeing how Twitter and social media is being used to raise money for good causes… Like Lindsay’s #FF4Sandy campaign to raise money for Hurricane Sandy victims!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..40/20 Full Body Workout

16 Ashlee December 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

That is amazing! What does #518 mean?

I was so glad when Adam stood up for Melanie and said that they had designed her set themselves. She has been downright rude lately, and especially to Melanie!
Ashlee recently posted..Creamy Avocado Sauce Pasta

17 Courtney December 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Totally agree with you on the whole set design thing…she is totally rude to her!

And 518 is our local area code ;)

18 Ashlee December 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Ahhhhh I see :-) DUH Ashlee ! ha!
Ashlee recently posted..Creamy Avocado Sauce Pasta

19 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige December 4, 2012 at 11:21 am

That’s so amazing. Love when social media does good in the world :)
And that naan bread looks so. delicious.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..5 Reasons to Take a Rest Week (or Three)

20 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Wow, what a story! It’s love how the media can work for good! We need more of that!

Your spicy chicken looks delish!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Artichoke and Jalapeno Ranch Dip

21 michelle kim December 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

I think when people help fundraise for a cause, it’s really great. There are strangers who will donate to someone they’ve never met before (as long as it is through a credible blogger and the blogger knows the person :P). Social media is helping to raise awareness of a lot of health issues and I think that’s powerful, especially if it’s the person suffering from a certain illness who is sharing their very own experiences.
michelle kim recently posted..California International Marathon Recap

22 Marielle December 4, 2012 at 11:42 am

That is so cool! I’m new to the whole social media thing but I think it’s so great in getting messages across and raising awareness about various issues. :)
Marielle recently posted..Me Time

23 Annette@FitnessPerks December 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Social media can be such a powerful, positive influence. I hope we all keep it that way!! :) (i.e. instead of bullying or posting mean comments)

Great looking dinner! YUMMM
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Les Mills GRIT Series Training Recap

24 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I linked over to that story about those two young kids…so horrible. A reckless drunk driver strikes again :( so sad. It’s great that Twitter spread the word!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Downtown Jingle 5K and Other Weekend Activities

25 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire December 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Wow, that story is so, so sad. Tebow is a good guy! I know this doesn’t even begin to compare, but in college, our sports radio program was going to get cut and we used the #savewmuc and tweeted so much about it, got former athletes from our school involved, and famous graduates, so it saved the program. It was pretty cool!

26 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction December 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This crash and the social media out pouring has made me emotional too. Looking at the photos of the kids on the Times Union’s Website was emotional. They were so you and this could have been prevented.
Tebow did a great thing calling Matt.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Favorite Time of Year

27 Irene December 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I hadn’t heard about the crash in your area, but I love that people try to do what they can to help each other out. There is so little anyone can actually do, why not try???
My husband and I are getting so tired to the same plot lines getting re-used over and over on How I met your mother !!!! If something doesn’t actually happen soon, I am going to stop watching.

28 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Nice to see that the media can be a positive influence!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Overnight Oats with a Twist

29 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 4, 2012 at 8:39 pm

While it’s so easy to hate on social media sometimes, it really is a powerful tool. I absolutely love what it can do. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Enthusiast Gift List