Twitter Goes Viral for #518 Crash Survivors

You know, I’ve long said that the power of social media and Twitter is pretty amazing. And last night was just further proof of that…

If you live locally here in the capital region of NY, then you’ve most likely heard about the recent tragic and fatal accident on Saturday, killing two high school students and badly injuring two others. As I was browsing through Facebook last night, I noticed that there was quite a bit of chatter about getting the community to rally together to help get those two hashtags viral on Twitter.

Sure enough, within a few hours they not only went viral, but they also worked…

tebow

To be quite honest, the whole thing made me a bit emotional! To see something like this come out of such a horrible event was really uplifting and inspiring. Tebow may not be doing a whole lot for my Jets right now, but I think he is one classy guy. Thanks, Tebow!

So before any of that started happening last night, there was some dinner consumed.

I roasted a big batch of asparagus, so I had some of that along with the rest of the leftover spicy chicken from last week.

My favorite part of the meal though (since I am the carb queen, and all) had to be the TJ’s naan topped with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Mmmmm, it was so good.

Shortly after dinner, while all the Twitter phenomenon was taking place, Jay and I settled in to watch HIMYM (still a little slow, but getting better) and The Voice. There were soooo many amazing performances last night! I’m going to guess that Miranda will be voted off, but I think my top two favorites right now would have to be Cassidy and Amanda. Mannnn, they can sing!

*****

Breakfast

This bowl of cereal rocked my morning.

I blame it on the blueberries…they were surprisingly good today, and I can’t even remember the last time that I had them? They joined the two usual suspects as of late – Honey Nut Cheerios and Quaker Oatmeal Squares – along with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I was *this close* to going back for seconds had there been extra milk left.

*****

Gotta jet…things to do, places to go, people to see!

Question for the Morning:

When has the power of social media influenced, affected, or impressed you?

Comments

1. Danielle says

This made me so proud to a part of the 518!!!! It’s nice to know we live ina community that will rally during a tragedy!

I work as an intern at a nonprofit and my biggest responsibility is social media. Through my job, I have seen so many inspirational stories shared about simple acts of kindness…like last week when that picture of a cop giving the homeless man shoes went viral, amazing!

I love HIMYM, and hope that it picks up for you soon!
    Molly @ Happy&Healthy recently posted..Claw Grabber Machine?

Twitter is quite amazing, now isn’t it??

TJ’s naan is awesome. It definitely makes the meal! I am about to enjoy a delicious cereal breakfast here myself in a couple of minutes. I can’t wait! I always measure my cereal to make sure I don’t go TOOO crazy, and I eat half in one sitting and then go back for the other half so that way I feel like I am getting “seconds” without eating cups and cups of cereal. It works pretty well for me!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegetable, Lentil, and Barley Stew

Social media is amazing… during the Hurricane when I was without power I relied on Twitter/Facebook to see what was going on (thru my phone)… that story is so sad, those poor kids :/
    Rachel recently posted..The Doctor is In

I think when people help fundraise for a cause, it’s really great. There are strangers who will donate to someone they’ve never met before (as long as it is through a credible blogger and the blogger knows the person :P). Social media is helping to raise awareness of a lot of health issues and I think that’s powerful, especially if it’s the person suffering from a certain illness who is sharing their very own experiences.
    michelle kim recently posted..California International Marathon Recap

6. Marielle says

That is so cool! I’m new to the whole social media thing but I think it’s so great in getting messages across and raising awareness about various issues. :)
    Marielle recently posted..Me Time

Wow, that story is so, so sad. Tebow is a good guy! I know this doesn’t even begin to compare, but in college, our sports radio program was going to get cut and we used the #savewmuc and tweeted so much about it, got former athletes from our school involved, and famous graduates, so it saved the program. It was pretty cool!

8. Irene says

I hadn’t heard about the crash in your area, but I love that people try to do what they can to help each other out. There is so little anyone can actually do, why not try???
    My husband and I are getting so tired to the same plot lines getting re-used over and over on How I met your mother !!!! If something doesn’t actually happen soon, I am going to stop watching.

Trackbacks