Made Up My Mind

Well, I finally made up my mind on last night’s dinner…

It was a Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo kinda night. Winking smile

And it was soooooo good.

Thank goodness I had Jay to help out a bit in the kitchen, because it wound up being one of those times where all of a sudden I’m trying to whisk the sauce, roast the broccoli, cook the pasta, and check the chicken cooking on the griddler all at the same time. Whew!

Luckily, it all turned out perfectly, and we finished up shortly before watching our usual Monday night lineup: HIMYM and The Voice. HIMYM? Ehh, it was a funny episode, but what is with the weird endings? And The Voice? WOW. They were all amazing, but if I had to choose, I’d say that Trevin gets voted off. What do you guys think?

Nothing too crazy complicated this morning. I thought about making some oatmeal (especially since I have a PB jar ready for OIAJ) but I wasn’t in the mood to stand over the stove. Instead, I stood over the toaster oven.

Just an English muffin topped with crunchy PB, banana slices, and chia seeds. Can’t beat it.

You guys like my festive plate and mug this morning?? Smile

So I have to head out again at some point today to pick up a few Christmas gifts, but I’m thinking I ought to leave sooner than later…my FedEx guy USUALLY doesn’t come until later, so hopefully by leaving early I won’t miss him again.

I’ll catch up with you ladies and gents later on!

Question for the Morning:

When it comes to cooking, do you prefer to do it alone? Or would you prefer some help in the kitchen (from your significant other, a parent, etc.)?

I’m always love some help when I cook…but I like to do the baking solo!

1. briana says

Im just like you and love help cooking, but baking alone is so nice. I do love doing some holiday baking with my momma though!

I don’t mind cooking alone at all, but I do like having someone to talk to if I’m going to be in the kitchen for a while. My boyfriend is really good about cooking stuff if I prep it, so sometimes that’s the way we roll. As long as I’m not off by myself, I’m good. Girl likes to talk! :)

Good question! My husband would laugh right now–my answer is complicated. I like to do the cooking myself (control issue?!), but I like having someone (i.e. my husband) hanging out with me while I cook. So, if he will hang in the kitchen and set the table, pour a glass of wine, wash a dish or two . . . . I love it! But the actual cooking, I find when people help I get flustered with what needs to be completed.
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Raw Thai Bean Sprout Salad

I’m a control freak, admittedly, so I like cooking and baking solo. I live alone so this is never an issue for me! But, if I go to my parents’ house, it is nice to have my mom there to help with chopping, stirring, etc. while cooking something more complicated!

Good dinner choice! 😉

As for cooking alone vs. with help… It really depends on the kitchen. Our kitchen is kinda cramped and doesn’t have a ton of counter space, so having more than one person in there going back and forth and all over the place can get crazy. That being said, I like cooking alone in our kitchen. If we’re in my parents’ kitchen, I’m all about more hands helping though!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 23: Pregnancy Survey

6. Faith says

I love when my boyfriend plays sous chef. It lets me focus on the details like seasonings and sauces (the part I’m better at), and he gets to get involved too. Makes dinnertime so much less stressful!

I went for that same breakfast this morning but I had creamy pb – YUM!

I don’t usually mind help in the kitchen but in my move back home, I’ve learned that I DO mind it a bit more than I may have realized. My dad is very much a “backseat” chef and it’s really annoying. He wants to know my entire plan, what I’m doing, why I’m doing it, why I’m not doing something else or adding something else. I’ve had to point it out to him because it was starting to REALLY get under my skin and he’s gotten a TINY bit better…
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Burpee Ab Shred

That meal looks so yummy and one I will have to try very, very soon!!!

Mostly I like to cook by myself because I get anxious when people start getting in my way in the kitchen. However, there are times when I need some help prepping and I don’t mind that so much.
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Girl Time

9. Nicole says

I can’t wait to see the results of The Voice. I was never really into the singing shows until last season of The Voice, and now I love that show. All four are SO good, but I think I like Trevin the best. Maybe since he is the youngest and just seems so darn sweet. And for whatever reason, Cassadee reminds me of you – you guys kind of look alike!

I generally prefer to cook alone, but that is probably because I have a small kitchen to work with and hate when people/dogs are in my way when I am trying to move around and cook. If I had a larger kitchen I think that I would be more likely to enjoy cooking with someone else….though I am not sure I’d like giving up the control…hmm, something to work on. 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..The Best Baked Sweet Potato Ever!

I definitely love baking alone (it’s like my therapy), but I really do prefer cooking with someone else, especially if lots of veggie chopping is involved. There are times where I get kind of OCD about it, though, and need to be in control of how much goes in, when it goes in, etc. so those are the times I chase people out of the kitchen 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... marvelously me .

I love cooking with people! At the same time, though, I tend to be bossy in the kitchen because I like things done a certain way. Usually I’m good about letting people do what they want, though. I’d agree with the preferring to bake alone. Cookies always seem like fun to do with someone else, but it’s pretty straightforward and fast (the cookies I make at least). So, I like company while baking if anything.
    Katie recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Almond Oatmeal Cookies

13. Traci says

Unrelated, but I did your 30 min walk/run treadmill workout. WOW. What a killer! Please continue to post workouts! I’m used to going to the gym and doing my own thing, which normally means that I slow down when I feel “tired.” But, after following that workout, I felt so much more challenged and accomplished.

I really enjoy following your blog as you tend to focus on your personal adventure with health. Your blog radiates authenticity. Nice work!

Generally, I like to be by myself (or with a tv show) when I cook. I don’t want someone who knows what they’re doing to be hovering over my shoulder and fussing because I’m not doing it right. I’m still learning how to season things and experimenting with recipes (which is fun). Still a noob, but I hope to be real good at it one day 😉
    michelle kim recently posted..Weekend Recap

15. Wendy says

Hi Courtney! I’m one of those many people that read your blog but don’t usually have time to comment, sorry! Anyway I was just in Colonie Center walking towards Barnes and Noble and I think I saw you walk by in a black (?) coat carrying an Express bag among other things? Was that you? I meant to say hi but you passed really quickly haha, I’ll stick to my guns and say hey if I ever see you again! (I live in the area)

• Courtney says

Hahaha, YES! That was meee!
      I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to say hi! I tend to beeline through the mall, and by that point, I was ready to get outta there for the day. 😉
      Hopefully we’ll get another chance sometime soon!

ayyyy I know this sounds realllly bad but unless the person helping me is on the same page as I am when it comes to the food we’re cooking or method, I always always prefer cooking on my own! I think i get it from my mom because she always does that! 😛 haha. And my kitchen is tiny and most of all, I can’t delegate things for the life of me so I don’t know HOW anyone can help me! 😛 If I were better at handing out jobs it wouldn’t be a bad thing probably. But sometimes baking is fun if I do it with my girlfriends! Such a great way to bond.
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Find What You Like

That looks so good!
    I love The Voice! My boyfriend and I always DVR it even if we are going to be home to watch it! Blake Shelton is my faaaavorite and I’m addicted to the show!
    Trevin and Cassidy Pope have been my two favorites from the beginning! But after last nights performances, I honestly don’t know who should be sent home! I personally think Nicolas should be sent home, based on alllll of the performances, but Andy has had a thing against Terry from the beginning. So much talent this season! I can’t wait for tonight!
    Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Do You Dippy?

18. Shannon says

Good choice on your dinner for last night. That was one of my top 2 picks.

I noticed your festive plates from your breakfast, before you asked how they looked. I love the mug, and plate. They’re very Christmasy (if you even count that as a word), and put a smile on my face.

I prefer to have some help in the kitchen when cooking from a parent or sibling. Mostly a parent though because they have had more experience cooking than I have. If it’s baking, I like to bake my brownies, cookies and cupcakes in peace. I do call my sister in to frost the cupcakes; I don’t know how she does it, but the frosting comes out as the appearance of a bakery’s.