Made Up My Mind

by Courtney on December 11, 2012

Well, I finally made up my mind on last night’s dinner…

It was a Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo kinda night. Winking smile

And it was soooooo good.

Thank goodness I had Jay to help out a bit in the kitchen, because it wound up being one of those times where all of a sudden I’m trying to whisk the sauce, roast the broccoli, cook the pasta, and check the chicken cooking on the griddler all at the same time. Whew!

Luckily, it all turned out perfectly, and we finished up shortly before watching our usual Monday night lineup: HIMYM and The Voice. HIMYM? Ehh, it was a funny episode, but what is with the weird endings? And The Voice? WOW. They were all amazing, but if I had to choose, I’d say that Trevin gets voted off. What do you guys think?

*****

Breakfast

Nothing too crazy complicated this morning. I thought about making some oatmeal (especially since I have a PB jar ready for OIAJ) but I wasn’t in the mood to stand over the stove. Instead, I stood over the toaster oven.

Just an English muffin topped with crunchy PB, banana slices, and chia seeds. Can’t beat it.

You guys like my festive plate and mug this morning?? Smile

So I have to head out again at some point today to pick up a few Christmas gifts, but I’m thinking I ought to leave sooner than later…my FedEx guy USUALLY doesn’t come until later, so hopefully by leaving early I won’t miss him again.

I’ll catch up with you ladies and gents later on!

Question for the Morning:

When it comes to cooking, do you prefer to do it alone? Or would you prefer some help in the kitchen (from your significant other, a parent, etc.)?

I’m always love some help when I cook…but I like to do the baking solo!

1 briana December 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

Im just like you and love help cooking, but baking alone is so nice. I do love doing some holiday baking with my momma though!

2 Courtney December 11, 2012 at 8:41 am

Ooooo, good point! I’ll be doing that this Friday :)

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

My husband would not be any help in the kitchen – it’s something I enjoy, so I don’t mind cooking alone.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Weekend Things

4 Michelle@Peachy Palate December 11, 2012 at 8:36 am

I prefer to cook alone…I’m a control freak in the kitchen. Love nothing more than time alone to work away and get my experimentation hat on!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..My Top Ten Must Have Christmas Gift Ideas

5 Danica @ It's Progression December 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

I usually like to cook/bake alone (it’s one of my favorite ways to just relax), but when I cook dinner at night it’s sometimes nice when my husband helps out because, just like you said, some dinner require more than 2 hands.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..pics of the day: 12.9.12

6 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire December 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

I don’t mind cooking alone at all, but I do like having someone to talk to if I’m going to be in the kitchen for a while. My boyfriend is really good about cooking stuff if I prep it, so sometimes that’s the way we roll. As long as I’m not off by myself, I’m good. Girl likes to talk! :)

7 Courtney December 11, 2012 at 8:41 am

Haha, that sounds like a pretty great deal you’ve got worked out! ;)

8 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 11, 2012 at 8:41 am

Good question! My husband would laugh right now–my answer is complicated. I like to do the cooking myself (control issue?!), but I like having someone (i.e. my husband) hanging out with me while I cook. So, if he will hang in the kitchen and set the table, pour a glass of wine, wash a dish or two . . . . I love it! But the actual cooking, I find when people help I get flustered with what needs to be completed.
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Raw Thai Bean Sprout Salad

9 Angela @ Health's Angel December 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’m a control freak, admittedly, so I like cooking and baking solo. I live alone so this is never an issue for me! But, if I go to my parents’ house, it is nice to have my mom there to help with chopping, stirring, etc. while cooking something more complicated!

10 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 11, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good dinner choice! ;)

As for cooking alone vs. with help… It really depends on the kitchen. Our kitchen is kinda cramped and doesn’t have a ton of counter space, so having more than one person in there going back and forth and all over the place can get crazy. That being said, I like cooking alone in our kitchen. If we’re in my parents’ kitchen, I’m all about more hands helping though!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 23: Pregnancy Survey

11 Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 11, 2012 at 8:54 am

I like to cook alone. By boyfriend is so great because he doesn’t love to cook but he loves to eat so he takes care of the cleanup :) .
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Tuttorosso Gift Pack Giveaway

12 Faith December 11, 2012 at 8:54 am

I love when my boyfriend plays sous chef. It lets me focus on the details like seasonings and sauces (the part I’m better at), and he gets to get involved too. Makes dinnertime so much less stressful!

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

I like to cook alone but I do enjoy having my husband help me when cooking especially if I am doing a lot of things all at once. I love baking with my sister. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Funfetti Cake Truffles & Nutter Butter Truffles!…

14 Lindsey December 11, 2012 at 9:02 am

Alone usually. But I like company while I cook still :)
Lindsey recently posted..NYC via Instagram

15 Elaine December 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love having help in the kitchen! I think it makes it a lot more fun. :)

Hope you don’t miss the FedEx guy again. ;)
Elaine recently posted..Blueberry Orange Muffins

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

I went for that same breakfast this morning but I had creamy pb – YUM!

I don’t usually mind help in the kitchen but in my move back home, I’ve learned that I DO mind it a bit more than I may have realized. My dad is very much a “backseat” chef and it’s really annoying. He wants to know my entire plan, what I’m doing, why I’m doing it, why I’m not doing something else or adding something else. I’ve had to point it out to him because it was starting to REALLY get under my skin and he’s gotten a TINY bit better…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Burpee Ab Shred

17 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom December 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

That meal looks so yummy and one I will have to try very, very soon!!!

Mostly I like to cook by myself because I get anxious when people start getting in my way in the kitchen. However, there are times when I need some help prepping and I don’t mind that so much.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Girl Time

18 Katie December 11, 2012 at 9:37 am

I spy chia seeds!

I def like to be alone in the kitchen! I know that sounds selfish, but I need the space and don’t like people to mess with my masterpiece! haha. But some clean up help wouldn’t hurt ;)
Katie recently posted..Give It Away, Give It Away, Give It Away Now!

19 Nicole December 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

I can’t wait to see the results of The Voice. I was never really into the singing shows until last season of The Voice, and now I love that show. All four are SO good, but I think I like Trevin the best. Maybe since he is the youngest and just seems so darn sweet. And for whatever reason, Cassadee reminds me of you – you guys kind of look alike!

20 Courtney December 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve actually had so many people tell me that?!? I don’t think I see it, but that’s cool! :)

21 Ashlee December 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

Last year I ordered some wine for my friends from our favorite winery out of state, so it had to have a signature. I called FedEx and they held it at the store for me so I could just drop by and sign for it anytime! You can try that if you miss him again :-)
Ashlee recently posted..My Best Advice + Sweet Southern Cornbread

22 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

It depends what I am making…I like help from my mother when she is trying to teach me something, otherwise I like to do things alone. If my significant other was good at cooking though, that might be a different story!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..My Christmas Playlist

23 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love cooking with others, but it definitely depends on who it is. HIMM is getting really silly. I’m glad it’s the last season. I won’t stop watching because I feel like I’ve stuck it out this far, but it’s definitely not a favorite anymore.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Some Things To Brag About

24 Megan December 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

I totally agree with voting Trevin off, I thought everyone was really on their game last night and Trevin just sounded off to me? Team Cassadee!
Megan recently posted..Let’s make the most of the Night like we’re gonna die Young

25 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 11, 2012 at 10:41 am

I generally prefer to cook alone, but that is probably because I have a small kitchen to work with and hate when people/dogs are in my way when I am trying to move around and cook. If I had a larger kitchen I think that I would be more likely to enjoy cooking with someone else….though I am not sure I’d like giving up the control…hmm, something to work on. ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..The Best Baked Sweet Potato Ever!

26 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 11, 2012 at 10:45 am

I definitely love baking alone (it’s like my therapy), but I really do prefer cooking with someone else, especially if lots of veggie chopping is involved. There are times where I get kind of OCD about it, though, and need to be in control of how much goes in, when it goes in, etc. so those are the times I chase people out of the kitchen :lol:
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... marvelously me .

27 Katie December 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love cooking with people! At the same time, though, I tend to be bossy in the kitchen because I like things done a certain way. Usually I’m good about letting people do what they want, though. I’d agree with the preferring to bake alone. Cookies always seem like fun to do with someone else, but it’s pretty straightforward and fast (the cookies I make at least). So, I like company while baking if anything.
Katie recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Almond Oatmeal Cookies

28 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

Love the festive plate! I usually like to cook and especially bake alone, but with someone in another room to help just in case I need it. But when it is a recipe I have done many times, I like the help so we can divide and conquer!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Tabata Workout

29 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

I definitely prefer cooking with my husband – hands down! It’s more fun and interactive and he’s actually better at it than I am. I’m more of the sous chef around here.
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..How To Create An Awesome Personalized Signature For Your Blog Posts & Emails (No High-Tech Skills or Programs Required!)

30 Lyric December 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love having someone to help when cooking! If I had to choose I’d say Nicholas is out.
Lyric recently posted..Brunch

31 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

I prefer to cook alone. To many people in the kitchen, it gets confusing and they are in your way, unless your making cookies or something, then it’s fun!! Your dinner looks delish!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Sundried Tomato and Pesto Quick Bread

32 Traci December 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

Unrelated, but I did your 30 min walk/run treadmill workout. WOW. What a killer! Please continue to post workouts! I’m used to going to the gym and doing my own thing, which normally means that I slow down when I feel “tired.” But, after following that workout, I felt so much more challenged and accomplished.

I really enjoy following your blog as you tend to focus on your personal adventure with health. Your blog radiates authenticity. Nice work!

33 Courtney December 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thank you, Traci! That is so sweet of you to say. :)
And props to you on the workout!!!

34 michelle kim December 11, 2012 at 11:48 am

Generally, I like to be by myself (or with a tv show) when I cook. I don’t want someone who knows what they’re doing to be hovering over my shoulder and fussing because I’m not doing it right. I’m still learning how to season things and experimenting with recipes (which is fun). Still a noob, but I hope to be real good at it one day ;)
michelle kim recently posted..Weekend Recap

35 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen December 11, 2012 at 11:50 am

It honestly depends on my mood as to whether I want to cook alone or with someone. Usually, I like having someone around to talk to, but I don’t mind doing all the work :)

36 alyssa - life a la wife December 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I prefer to cook alone but my husband does all of the dishes. I get in a groove and don’t want him screwing it up ;)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Gift Guide – The Fitness Freak

37 Linz @ Itz Linz December 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I prefer to do it alone! I’m always shoo-ing my hubby out of the kitchen when I’m in there! haha
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Healthy Living Holiday Gift Guide

38 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm

In MOST cases, I prefer to cook alone… I’m an admitted control freak! lol But sometimes it’s fun to cook with my husband!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Panera Bread

39 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm

cute holiday plate for your waffles. i think i prefer baking alone, but i don’t mind some helping hands when i cook :)
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted..Injured + Enlightened

40 Wendy December 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Courtney! I’m one of those many people that read your blog but don’t usually have time to comment, sorry! Anyway I was just in Colonie Center walking towards Barnes and Noble and I think I saw you walk by in a black (?) coat carrying an Express bag among other things? Was that you? I meant to say hi but you passed really quickly haha, I’ll stick to my guns and say hey if I ever see you again! (I live in the area)

41 Courtney December 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hahaha, YES! That was meee!
I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to say hi! I tend to beeline through the mall, and by that point, I was ready to get outta there for the day. ;)
Hopefully we’ll get another chance sometime soon!

42 kim@hungryhealthygirl December 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I like to cook with my husband, especially when he just comes up behind me and cleans up my messes. ;) And I always have fun baking with my kids…..unless I’m in a hurry.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Almond Butter Puppy Chow {lightened up}

43 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 11, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I usually prefer to cook by myself – my kitchen is small, so if the boyfriend tried to help we’d probably just end up tripping over each other!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Sam 1, Scale: 0.

44 Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm

ayyyy I know this sounds realllly bad but unless the person helping me is on the same page as I am when it comes to the food we’re cooking or method, I always always prefer cooking on my own! I think i get it from my mom because she always does that! :P haha. And my kitchen is tiny and most of all, I can’t delegate things for the life of me so I don’t know HOW anyone can help me! :P If I were better at handing out jobs it wouldn’t be a bad thing probably. But sometimes baking is fun if I do it with my girlfriends! Such a great way to bond.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Find What You Like

45 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That looks so good!
I love The Voice! My boyfriend and I always DVR it even if we are going to be home to watch it! Blake Shelton is my faaaavorite and I’m addicted to the show!
Trevin and Cassidy Pope have been my two favorites from the beginning! But after last nights performances, I honestly don’t know who should be sent home! I personally think Nicolas should be sent home, based on alllll of the performances, but Andy has had a thing against Terry from the beginning. So much talent this season! I can’t wait for tonight!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Do You Dippy?

46 Shannon December 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Good choice on your dinner for last night. That was one of my top 2 picks.

I noticed your festive plates from your breakfast, before you asked how they looked. I love the mug, and plate. They’re very Christmasy (if you even count that as a word), and put a smile on my face.

I prefer to have some help in the kitchen when cooking from a parent or sibling. Mostly a parent though because they have had more experience cooking than I have. If it’s baking, I like to bake my brownies, cookies and cupcakes in peace. I do call my sister in to frost the cupcakes; I don’t know how she does it, but the frosting comes out as the appearance of a bakery’s.

47 Trudy December 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Mmm… looks like a delicious decision ;) Hope you didn’t miss the FedEx man again!
Trudy recently posted..Fries and scrambled eggs

48 Bek @ Crave December 11, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I like to cook alone usually, but love having my boy to help me out with prep work and the meat. He feels masculine when he gets to cook the meat haha, so I like him to feel special :P
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Why I’m Disappointed In Myself Lately

49 Angela December 12, 2012 at 2:30 am

That looks delicious! I love all things alfredo but I always feel a tiny bit guilty eating a lot of it… I must try this recipe!