Shopping Smarter with RedLaser

by Courtney on December 11, 2012

Hey, friends! Just popping in quick this evening to share a fun little app with you all…

I recently had the opportunity to participate in a new program with RedLaser, and while I wasn’t quite sure what it was all about at first, it turns out to be a pretty snazzy app with lots of great features.

Basically, RedLaser is a free app available for download for iPhone, Android and Windows phones. It allows you to scan or search for items to make sure you have all the information you need, including product details, ratings and price comparison.

red laser

So while I was out doing a bit of shopping at Target earlier this week, I decided to give it a try while browsing through the food aisles.

To get things working, all you have to do is hit the scan button after opening the app, and place the scanner over the barcode of the item you want the info on. While there were a few items that aren’t as well-known and didn’t show up, the majority of the items I checked out came with lots of information to go with them.

First up…Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt. Immediately after I scanned it, I was given all sort of details about it, including a description, Fooducate rating, and nutrition facts. Since it was my first time using the app, it also walked me through how to find the other resources including local deals, reviews, and online prices.

IMG_0683IMG_0682

One cool feature I liked, although it wasn’t available for all of the products I scanned, were the prices of the product on various websites online.

Quite a vast price difference, right?

Out of all of the features though, one of the things I found the most interesting was the Fooducate ratings. The first food I decided to check out was a Jimmy Dean Delights Honey Wheat Muffin, made with bacon, egg whites, and cheese.

Since it’s marketed as “healthier,” this one really interested me, and I wasn’t surprised to see that, despite it being a “healthier” selection, it still only got a rating of C-.

Just goes to show ya…it’s still quicker, healthier, and probably cheaper to just make your own. Winking smile

I also decided to check out some veggie patties from MorningStar Farms, which were a little better.

IMG_0690IMG_0691

And I also found it fun to compare a couple different types of yogurt…

IMG_0685IMG_0686

Greek yogurt, for the win!

Overall, my experience with the app was super positive. I found it extremely interesting, and I could absolutely see how it could be helpful for a number of reasons. Since I’ve only really had a chance to use it on food, I’m REALLY looking forward to testing it out while finishing up my Christmas shopping. I’m always one for a good bargain!

If you’re interested in trying out the app for yourself, you can download it here.

Question for the Evening:

What are some of your favorite shopping apps?

This post is brought to you by RedLaser. Get the free app at RedLaser.

1 Lyric December 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm

That app looks great! Hopefully I can find a similiar one with my blackberry ;)
Lyric recently posted..Brunch

2 Blog is the New Black December 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Def going to try this one!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Puppy Chow

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Quite the interesting app, I might have to check it out! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Burpee Ab Shred

4 Emily December 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Check out ShopKick. You check into stores that you already shop at, it awards you kicks (points), and once you reach a certain amount of points, you redeem for gift cards to Target, Starbucks, Old Navy, etc. It’s awesome! You can also get extra points by scanning the barcodes of certain products in the store. It’s like a mini scavenger hunt. :)

5 Beks December 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Cool! Gonna check that out!

6 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’ve heard of this app before, but haven’t tried it myself; definitely going to download it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Random Things

7 michelle kim December 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Whoa. That is SO COOL.
I’m still living in the stone age and use a… phone. Not a smartphone, just a phone. But that would be so cool to have for all my purchases!
michelle kim recently posted..Package Arrived

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

That looks like a fun app! I’ll check it out.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..how to please all the eaters in your household

9 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I love the fact that it gives you a “grade” for the product. It also looks super easy to use, which is always a major plus in my book!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Vegetable Alfredo Ranch Fettucine

10 Mallory @ ifgravityhappens December 11, 2012 at 10:37 pm

That’s super cool! Healthy can’t get much easier than that right?! I will definitely check that out! Thank you for sharing :)

11 Fizz @ fizzsbizz.com December 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I have had red laser in my apps for sooooo long and have never used it because I didn’t really understand it. Now I’m so excited to put it to use!!
Fizz @ fizzsbizz.com recently posted..Half Moon Bay, Adventure Day!

12 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 12, 2012 at 2:01 am

oooo!! This is pretty freaking cool!! thank you, I’m going to check it out!
xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Candy Cane Lane Almonds

13 Miz December 12, 2012 at 6:06 am

INTERESTING!
I have no shopping apps.
or didnt before anyway :-)
Miz recently posted..WORLD HOOP DAY.

14 Jessica December 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

Very cool. Like the healthy grade feature – doesn’t get much easier than that!
I’ve just recently discovered Wrapp. It’s an app that allows you to give free and dollar amount gift cards to friends who also have the app. I’ve given $5 and $10 gift cards to friends to Gap, Sephora and H&M for free.

15 Shelly December 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

The Amazon app is so good but oh so bad. 1 touch shopping can be dangerous!
Shelly recently posted..I’ve Got Issues

16 Jentry Nielsen December 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I’ve never heard of this app! That is so cool, I will definitely be downloading that one today! Thanks for sharing this awesome find! Although the boyfriend may be annoyed with our grocery shopping trips from now on…totally worth it! :)

17 Shannon December 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I wish I could use this app with an iPod touch, but mine doesn’t have the camera! :( I’ve heard so many great reviews of RedLaser, and it looks really cool based off this post.

Some other good money savings apps are CouponSherpa and Clipper Magazine’s application that has deals on restaurants, car shops, home improvement, etc.

18 Bek @ Crave December 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

What a neat app! Can it only be used for food items?
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Vitarium Products + A Recipe!

19 Courtney December 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Nope! Any kind of shopping!

20 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

OMG, how convinient! I’m definitely going to download that right now! Even if they didn’t have the nutrition facts for everrrry single item, the price differences alone is interesting enough :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..The Voice Tragedy

21 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

Ps have you ever tried the “Fooducate” app? If you liked red laser you should definitely give it a try :)

22 Courtney December 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

Yup! It’s definitely a cool app :)