Birthday Hibachi Dinner

by Courtney on December 16, 2012

Yayyyy for hibachi!!

Last night was a birthday celebration night – since my brother’s birthday was on Friday and my dad’s is on Monday – so the five of us went out for dinner at Sake.

IMG_0798IMG_0799

Of course, our meals started with the usual salad and soup – both were good, but they never really “wow” me.

IMG_0803IMG_0804

A few of us also decided to get some sushi; I wanted my parents to try some, but since they’re not usually sushi people, I figured I should go with something simple so I got a sweet potato and avocado roll.

Absolutely AMAZING. Seriously…that thing was so good. I so wanted more than just three pieces of it.

Shortly after the sushi rolls came out, it was time to get the entertainment underway! There was sake all around, plenty of laughs and cheers, and of course, the flaming onion volcano.

Last night was actually my dad’s first experience with hibachi and I’m pretty sure he enjoyed it, despite the fact that he was super apprehensive about going (he’s a slightly picky eater and didn’t quite understand the whole “making food in front of you” thing.) Winking smile

To start, we got our rice, noodles, veggies, and shrimp; extra shrimp for me since dad doesn’t eat ‘em.

Then we got our main courses: I went with the salmon and filet mignon.

Both of them were great, but I think I liked the filet best.

Unfortunately, there was a LOT of food and I just couldn’t manage to eat it all. FORTUNATELY, they had to-go boxes…

So now I have leftovers for later today. Smile

Since we had two birthday boys in the house, they got presented with some sort of fancy ice cream dish.

None of us could quite figure it out, but it almost tasted like the ice cream was encased in some sort of marzipan maybe?

Whatever it was, the couple of bites I stole from dad were pretty darn tasty.

After dinner we said our goodbyes, Jay and I headed back home, put on our cozies, cuddled up on the couch, and decided to order the movie Ted from On Demand. It was pretty funny and slightly vulgar.

This morning, I enjoyed waking up without an alarm (back to the real working world tomorrow – eeeek!) and worked on some of my paperwork before making a delicious breakfast.

Scrambled eggs with spinach, and toast with PB&J. Great way to start the day, if ya ask me!

Now today, I’m going to work on getting everything I need ready for the week ahead…which I’m sure won’t be everything, but I’ll give it a shot. Winking smile

1 Brittany Peters December 16, 2012 at 10:24 am

Oh my gosh I loooove hibachi grills!! I actually went to a hibachi grill by my house for my birthday this year :)
Brittany Peters recently posted..Winterlicious Tag

2 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

I love hibachi..I love that they always give you so much food that you can have 2 meals out of it! Happy birthday to your brother!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..What I’ve Been Up To

3 Blog is the New Black December 16, 2012 at 10:30 am

Never done the hibachi thing but it looks fun! Good luck starting your week of work, lady!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Double Chocolate Crackle Cookies

4 lisa fine December 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

So fun. I don’t go out for hibachi, but I’m always pleasantly surprised by how good the food is, and how big the servings are. We went out to a very cool mostly local foods restaurant last night, and I’ll be eating my leftover black bean burger and wedge cut fries later today.
lisa fine recently posted..shocked

5 Laurel December 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

Mmm hibachi!! i think it might be even better as leftovers.

6 Elizabeth December 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

Love getting lots of leftovers like that for the next day. What you guys got for dessert was probably mochi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi_ice_cream It’s a sweet rice dough that they wrap around ice cream. If you really like it they sell it boxed in the freezer section of most stores. I think TJs even has it.
Elizabeth recently posted..Thai Hut

7 Antonia December 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

I love Sake! It’s such a great restaurant. Hibachi tables are so entertaining–the perfect place to go for birthday celebrations!

And I’m so excited for you and this upcoming week! I’m sure you’ll knock your new employer’s socks off! :)

8 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love Hibachi Grills!!! So much fun! The food looks amazing!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Overnight Oatmeal / Giveaway / Weekly Recap

9 Alison December 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Like another commenter said, that’s mochi ice cream! Love that stuff! Just ice cream wrapped in rice flour pastry, yummmm. The rest of the dinner looked amazing! Happy birthday to the two guys!

10 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Looks like a fun time! That avocado sweet potato roll sounds very good.
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..All Mixed Up

11 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I LOVE HIBACHI! Any restaurant that makes food preparation actually fun for the customers is more than okay with me :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..“How Lazy Can I Be?” Day

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

My parents aren’t sushi people either…and my mom’s been to Japan! I can get her to eat california rolls, but it stops there. Looks like an amazing dinner! I’ve only ever been to a Habachi grill once, but I loved it.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Bold Little Critters.

13 Michelle@Peachy Palate December 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Looks like a great night! And a perfect way to get in a sneaky celebration of your own for your new job!!! Best of luck tomorrow!!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Carob Lover

14 Khushboo December 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Sweet potato in sushi- I’m intrigued!

15 lindsay @ fuel my family December 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Now I want hibachi!
lindsay @ fuel my family recently posted..Santa, Who?

16 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit December 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Seems like everyone is on a hibachi kick lately! I went for a work lunch Friday & I swear the scallops were the size of my fist — delish! Good luck at the new gig tomorrow.
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Thankful…

17 Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love celebrating birthdays at hibachi restaurants! So fun and there’s always leftovers!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Butternut Squash Soup

18 Danica @ It's Progression December 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love that the dessert was so mysterious :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..overcome evil with good.

19 Jacquelyn December 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Good luck at the new job!!

20 Ashlee December 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hibachi is so fun! Did you eat at the hibachi at the Valentine Imperial?? We went there in July for our honeymoon and that was our favorite restaurant by far! We ate there 2 nights :-)

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I bet they were given Mochi – at least I think that’s what it’s called. I hadn’t heard of it until I lived in SoCal and people were obsessed with it, though I never quite understood the fascination. I didn’t like the outside layer though the ice cream inside was always tasty to me! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Santa Miracles

22 Janay @ Ranchlickingood December 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We came home last night and got all cozied up on the couch and ordered Ted from OnDemand too!! Great minds think alike I suppose! ;)

23 liz December 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Happy birthday to your brother and dad! Looks like it was a good time.

The dessert was probably mochi ice cream. Mochi’s a japanese snack/dessert made out of rice cake. And yep, ice cream mochi is so tasty, especially the green tea flavor!
liz recently posted..Wishful Thinking

24 Liz H. December 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Mochi is t he best.
they sell it at Trader Joes :)

25 Bryna December 16, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I love hibachi and that roll sounds amazing… might have to replicate that at home! But I am really posting to say good luck tomorrow! I hope you have an amazing day!

26 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns December 16, 2012 at 7:12 pm

i’ve never been to one of those! looks fun!! the ice cream looks like mochi!!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..LaraBars!!

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Fun! I always love going to hibachi restaurants, but I personally prefer the sushi over the cooked stuff. But that doesn’t stop me from enjoying the show! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Not one, but TWO cookie recipes!

28 Danielle December 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

We have a restaurant similar to this where I am from. It is such a fun place to eat! I am not much of a shrimp eater, like your dad, but whenever I eat it from there it is sooo tasty
Danielle recently posted..Finally Finished

29 Bek @ Crave December 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Yum breakfast looks good! I love Teppanyaki! We have been for the past 2 years for his birthday, since we keep it for special occasions with the steep price tag. We never get that much food though! I feel ripped off ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Natvia Condensed Milk

30 Angela December 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Looks like so much fun! I’ve always wanted to go to a place like that but never have been. Could the ice cream have been mochi? Good luck tomorrow, you won’t need it though, you’re a star!
Angela recently posted..Tis the Season!

31 dee December 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Have a great first day of work tomorrow! The first day is always a little nerve wracking but oh so exciting!

32 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced December 17, 2012 at 5:59 am

Hibachi is definitely one of my favorite things to do! We have a lot of food trucks outside our office and recently they put in a Hibachi Truck! By far my favorite!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Hot Chocolate 10-K Race Recap

33 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hibachi meals are so much fun! When I went to one in college, the chef had a squirt bottle of sake, and he fired the alcohol into our mouths–from several feet away! Very messy (and slightly sloppy!), but lots of fun! ;)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up – Week of Dec. 16

34 Amanda B. December 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

mmm…I LOVE Sweet Potato rolls- otherwise known as Idaho Maki!!

And yeah- I’d say that was mochi ice cream. Another personal favorite. They sell it at Trader Joe’s! I also love getting mochi as a topping on frozen yogurt!
Amanda B. recently posted..Things Making Me Happy This Week 12.4

35 Patty December 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hibachi is defiently fun for birthday dinners. If you looking for great sushi restaurant in the area check out the Tea and Asian Bistro. Its over in Delmar on Delware Ave in the old Friendlys. They opened a few months ago and the sushi is awesome. They also have some creative dishes like sushi pizza. It sounds weird but it was so good. Awesome customer service too.

36 Sami December 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

Such a neat idea for a birthday dinner! :) Glad you guys had fun…
by the way, I think the ice cream dish was encased in MOCHI!? It’s pretty common at Japanese restaurants!
Sami recently posted..Five Things Friday.

37 Bethany @ the classy bee December 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

so true! they give you so much food it’s crazy! Looks yummy though!
Bethany @ the classy bee recently posted..The Saturday Workout