Birthday Hibachi Dinner

Yayyyy for hibachi!!

Last night was a birthday celebration night – since my brother’s birthday was on Friday and my dad’s is on Monday – so the five of us went out for dinner at Sake.

IMG_0798IMG_0799

Of course, our meals started with the usual salad and soup – both were good, but they never really “wow” me.

IMG_0803IMG_0804

A few of us also decided to get some sushi; I wanted my parents to try some, but since they’re not usually sushi people, I figured I should go with something simple so I got a sweet potato and avocado roll.

Absolutely AMAZING. Seriously…that thing was so good. I so wanted more than just three pieces of it.

Shortly after the sushi rolls came out, it was time to get the entertainment underway! There was sake all around, plenty of laughs and cheers, and of course, the flaming onion volcano.

Last night was actually my dad’s first experience with hibachi and I’m pretty sure he enjoyed it, despite the fact that he was super apprehensive about going (he’s a slightly picky eater and didn’t quite understand the whole “making food in front of you” thing.) Winking smile

To start, we got our rice, noodles, veggies, and shrimp; extra shrimp for me since dad doesn’t eat ‘em.

Then we got our main courses: I went with the salmon and filet mignon.

Both of them were great, but I think I liked the filet best.

Unfortunately, there was a LOT of food and I just couldn’t manage to eat it all. FORTUNATELY, they had to-go boxes…

So now I have leftovers for later today. Smile

Since we had two birthday boys in the house, they got presented with some sort of fancy ice cream dish.

None of us could quite figure it out, but it almost tasted like the ice cream was encased in some sort of marzipan maybe?

Whatever it was, the couple of bites I stole from dad were pretty darn tasty.

After dinner we said our goodbyes, Jay and I headed back home, put on our cozies, cuddled up on the couch, and decided to order the movie Ted from On Demand. It was pretty funny and slightly vulgar.

This morning, I enjoyed waking up without an alarm (back to the real working world tomorrow – eeeek!) and worked on some of my paperwork before making a delicious breakfast.

Scrambled eggs with spinach, and toast with PB&J. Great way to start the day, if ya ask me!

Now today, I’m going to work on getting everything I need ready for the week ahead…which I’m sure won’t be everything, but I’ll give it a shot. Winking smile

Comments

So fun. I don’t go out for hibachi, but I’m always pleasantly surprised by how good the food is, and how big the servings are. We went out to a very cool mostly local foods restaurant last night, and I’ll be eating my leftover black bean burger and wedge cut fries later today.
    lisa fine recently posted..shocked

2. Antonia says

I love Sake! It’s such a great restaurant. Hibachi tables are so entertaining–the perfect place to go for birthday celebrations!

And I’m so excited for you and this upcoming week! I’m sure you’ll knock your new employer’s socks off! :)

3. Alison says

Like another commenter said, that’s mochi ice cream! Love that stuff! Just ice cream wrapped in rice flour pastry, yummmm. The rest of the dinner looked amazing! Happy birthday to the two guys!

Hibachi is so fun! Did you eat at the hibachi at the Valentine Imperial?? We went there in July for our honeymoon and that was our favorite restaurant by far! We ate there 2 nights :-)

I bet they were given Mochi – at least I think that’s what it’s called. I hadn’t heard of it until I lived in SoCal and people were obsessed with it, though I never quite understood the fascination. I didn’t like the outside layer though the ice cream inside was always tasty to me! ;)
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Santa Miracles

Happy birthday to your brother and dad! Looks like it was a good time.

The dessert was probably mochi ice cream. Mochi’s a japanese snack/dessert made out of rice cake. And yep, ice cream mochi is so tasty, especially the green tea flavor!
    liz recently posted..Wishful Thinking

7. Bryna says

I love hibachi and that roll sounds amazing… might have to replicate that at home! But I am really posting to say good luck tomorrow! I hope you have an amazing day!

Looks like so much fun! I’ve always wanted to go to a place like that but never have been. Could the ice cream have been mochi? Good luck tomorrow, you won’t need it though, you’re a star!
    Angela recently posted..Tis the Season!

9. Patty says

Hibachi is defiently fun for birthday dinners. If you looking for great sushi restaurant in the area check out the Tea and Asian Bistro. Its over in Delmar on Delware Ave in the old Friendlys. They opened a few months ago and the sushi is awesome. They also have some creative dishes like sushi pizza. It sounds weird but it was so good. Awesome customer service too.

Trackbacks