Our Third Wedding Anniversary

by Courtney on January 3, 2013

Well, good morning friends! How’s everyone doing today? Despite the fact that the temperatures are downright FRIGID around here this morning (hovering right around a whopping ZERO degrees) I’m doing pretty darn good. Can’t complain!

Before we get to any details from last night, I thought I’d mention that yes, STSL does have a slightly different look this morning. After much consideration, I recently decided to switch ad networks so I am no longer with Foodbuzz, and now a proud member of Glam Media. I’m really looking forward to working with them, and I think it will be a great partnership. With the change, however, there were a few layout odds and ends that needed to be changed around (hence the slightly different look in appearance) and my blog guru Ryan took care of those last night. Other than that, there shouldn’t be any other changes popping up on your end!

So now…let’s get back to last night, shall we? Shortly afterwalking in the door from work yesterday evening, I was greeted by this absolutely beautiful bouquet of roses.

Gorgeous right? And the best part about them was that I wasn’t even expecting them, making them even more special.

With the exception of our first year anniversary gifts, we’ve never really gotten into the whole gift exchanging thing. Probably because it’s so close to Christmas, but it’s really not a big deal to either of us; I’m just happy to be able to spend time with him (cue gushy sappy “awwww…”). However, the roses were definitely a welcomed surprise. :)

So even though Jay and I never really get into the gift giving part of our anniversary, my in-laws certainly do. And I’ll tell ya…they are quite clever when it comes to their gift giving.

So the third anniversary is apparently the “leather” anniversary. Jay and I joked around about what we’d buy if we were to go with the leather theme, and I can’t lie…a$$less chaps may have come up once or twice. ;)

But my in-laws totally caught us off guard with their clever idea…

A mini baseball/softball glove for our future “little slugger.” I mean, how cute is that, right?

I had to laugh because I immediately noticed that the glove was for a lefty (Jay is left-handed for softball…ambidextrous in life, but anyway) but when we called to thank them, we found out that they apparently also have a righty glove for backup.

We also got a very generous gift card for dinner at the same place we got married (and went on our first anniversary) so we will certainly be using that soon.

*****

So a little while later, we were out the door and off to our dinner reservations at D’Raymonds.

D’Raymonds is a small, local Italian restaurant that Jay and I hadn’t been to since May 2008. Their food is incredible, but it’s one of those places we really like saving for special occasions.

Of course, both of us were checking out the menu online way before we even got to dinner, and we both agreed that we definitely had to start out with their bruschetta.

Okay, so this bruschetta? Quite possibly the best I’ve ever had. I’m not kidding. It was SO full of flavor, with lots of buttery garlic underneath the tomatoes and cheese. Jay said said that we should try to recreate it at home, but I told him that it wouldn’t be nearly as good because I wouldn’t dare to use as much better as they probably do. ;)

We also got some bread and dipping butters/sauces for the table, including a roasted red pepper dip, homemade garlic butter, and olive oil + balsamic. I only had a small piece of bread, but that’s because I still needed to try all three of them.

I think the roasted red pepper dip was my favorite. Definitely unique!

Shortly after the bread came out, we also got a random plate of what appeared to be fried dough. We were surprised to have gotten it before our meal even came, so we didnt’ really do much with it until after we were done with dinner.

We each tried a bite and it was, indeed, fried dough which was quite delicious. I can’t even remember the last time I had fried dough?

So, believe it or not, with all the food that was already brought to our table, we still hadn’t even had our entrees. Luckily, neither of us went crazy with the apps (and we went prepared to eat) so we were more than ready for the good stuff.

For my meal, I ordered the chicken sorrento, which also came with a side of pasta, but was able to substitute grilled chicken instead of the breaded and fried (the eggplant was already fried and too much fried food doesn’t sit too well with me these days).

The dish was absolutely delicious, but knowing full well that I wanted to save room for dessert, I made sure to go easy on the portions. The good news is that Jay and I both basically have a full dinner of leftovers for tonight – can’t beat that!

When it came time for dessert, I was really craving something chocolate and was hoping I’d find something in that category, but our waitress totally sold us on their carrot cake cheesecake dessert. All I can say is, I’m SO glad that she did.

It was a layer of cream cheese frosting, a thin layer of pineapple, a layer of carrot cake, and a layer of carrot cake cheesecake, all drizzled with caramel and white chocolate sauce.

When I say that there are no words for this, there really are no words.

One of the best desserts I’ve had in a long time. Actually, probably one of the tops…however that incredible chocolate cake from over the summer is still proudly sitting at #1. Man, that thing was crazy good.

By the time we were done with our meals, we were both equally stuffed so we headed home in were in bed not long after. The only thing I had hoped to do was watch a little bit of our wedding video, but since it was late and I was tired, I just watched a few of my favorite clips from this post. It was a wonderful way to spend our anniversary, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

1 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition January 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

That meal looks delicious and decadent! Happy anniversary!
Jennifer@ knackfornutrition recently posted..8 Weeks

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Gorgeous roses and wonderful pics of them too! LOVE the glove idea, incredibly cute! Dinner sounds amazing, you totally have to recreate the dessert!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Sitting waiting wishing

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Im not a big carrot cake fan but that dessert looks amazing! The glove is adorable and very thoughtful. Happy Anniversary!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..My favorite new tradition

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

How sweet! Your roses really are beautiful! …..and that glove! Awwww!
Your anniversaries will never be the same! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..God knows better than me?!….. Who knew?!

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

That bruschetta does look amazing! I love that little glove-that is a super clever idea. What is the deal with chaps lately? My husband and I were just discussing that very same variety of them the other day……
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Positive Reason To Live By The Ocean

6 Angela @ Health's Angel January 3, 2013 at 9:23 am

Wow you are right, there are so no words for that dessert. Carrot cake anything just calls to me, and that sounds outrageously good.

Happy anniversary!

7 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 3, 2013 at 9:25 am

Happy anniversary!! That meal looks like it was delish! :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Homemade Gift Tradition: DIY Dry Erase Board

8 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride January 3, 2013 at 9:33 am

That baseball/softball glove is SO clever and sweet! :)
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..In the year to come

9 Haley @ The Saucy Apple January 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

What a sweet anniversary celebration! That dessert looks amazing, and I love the glove gift! :)
Haley @ The Saucy Apple recently posted..Free Printable Blog Planner

10 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit January 3, 2013 at 9:37 am

Happy Anniversary, looks like you celebrated in style. That carrot cake looks awesome! Yum!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..The Last and the First…

11 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

Yum! Dinner looks delicious–I love any occasion to go out to dinner, happy anniversary :)

12 Sarah @PickyRunner January 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

Everything about that dessert looks amazing. And the dinner, oh my goodness I think I’m in love. Italian food is absolutely the best for any occasion… good choice for an anniversary dinner :)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..I’m proud of my…

13 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns January 3, 2013 at 9:43 am

aw what a sweet night :) glad to hear you guys enjoyed your special day :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..You Might Get a Sugar High

14 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess January 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

That most definitely sounds like a perfect anniversary! I can’t remember the last time I had a dessert that wowed me as much as your description. I absolutely love cheesecake though. Favorite dessert!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..My Resolutions: For a Healthy and Happier ME

15 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

I love the little glove – what a cute idea! We never do gifts for anniversaries either…. usually just a nice dinner and quality time together, which is what both of us prefer anyways. All of your food looks incredible. I’m glad you two had a nice evening out! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..01/03/13: Thursday Thoughts

16 katie Carso January 3, 2013 at 9:59 am

YUM to the dinner! Everything looked delicious! Love the glove idea, so cute!

Yay for Glam! I am happy I went with them too! They are great and Emily who I dealt with, rocks!
katie Carso recently posted..Baby G is 15 weeks!

17 Nicole January 3, 2013 at 10:07 am

Happy anniversary!

I have been staring at the photo of your dessert for a few minutes now, and can’t stop thinking about how delicious it must have been! On my next trip up to Albany, I may or may not have to drag my mom to this place just for that dessert :)

18 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona January 3, 2013 at 10:10 am

Happy anniversary! That baseball glove is such a cute gift.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Looking Back to 2012 and Forward to 2013

19 Brooke @ Running In Heels January 3, 2013 at 10:11 am

Happy Anniversary!!
Those flowers are GORGEOUS and that dinner has me drooling.. I’m glad you had a great time!!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..The Best Baked Lemon Chicken

20 My Neon Running Shoes January 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

That little glove is priceless! And I was drooling last night after seeing your dessert pic on instagram! It looks incredible. So glad y’all had a wonderful anniversary! Stay warm :-)
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..I am floored

21 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

wow that dessert looks amazing!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..36 Weeks!

22 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 3, 2013 at 10:29 am

The meal looks amazing! Especially that dessert – I’m not even a huge carrot cake fan and I’d be all over that.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Six Months and Goal Talk–January.

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 3, 2013 at 10:34 am

Fun night!!! That food looks delicious too – going out to an italian restaurant is always quite boring for me now. ::tear::

Happy Anniversary!!!

(3 for 3!)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..just add good banana bread

24 Danica @ It's Progression January 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

All of that food looks amazing! Glad you had a fun night.
I also really like the new layout–it looks good!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Goals for 2013

25 michelle kim January 3, 2013 at 11:01 am

YUM! I’d have such a hard time controlling myself around a meal like that. I love bread and pasta (and dessert).
Congratulations and many blessings in the New Year!
michelle kim recently posted..I Feel…

26 Ashlee January 3, 2013 at 11:13 am

Looks like an awesome anniversary! That food looks amazing!
Ashlee recently posted..Chocolate Mask+ Gym Joiners

27 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 3, 2013 at 11:33 am

Aww what a great anniversary night! I love places that give so much food – enough for a second meal! Win win!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Happy 1st Birthday and 10th Day of Circuits

28 Melissa January 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

What an adorable gift!! that brushetta looks really good. I can NEVER make it as good as restaurants when I try to recreate it at home!
you wrote ‘better’ instead of ‘butter’, just fyi ;)

29 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

Wow your roses are beautiful – what a sweet surprise. The bruschetta looks amazing.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Light French Toast Souffle

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 3, 2013 at 11:35 am

Those roses are gorgeous and that little glove just warms my heart. End the evening with delicious food and it sounds like a perfect anniversary to me. Definitely happy for you, Courtney :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #13 .

31 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom January 3, 2013 at 11:50 am

I have to say, that is the perfect anniversary dinner!! You can never go wrong with Italian but everything looked exceptionally delicious!!!

The baseball glove was such a cute, clever and thoughtful idea. It sounds like you have some pretty amazing in-laws!!

32 Jentry Nielsen January 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you two had an amazing day! Love the little glove, what a cute idea!
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..6 Steps to Sticking To Your Weight Loss Goals

33 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit January 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Happy Anniversary! :D Ah, surprise roses (or any kind of flowers) are the best. It’s the simple things really. That is such a thoughtful and special anniversary present from your in-laws!
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..Free Yourself from New Year’s Resolutions! Live in the Now With Daily Resolutions

34 Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Love cheesecake, love carrot cake & now I want that dessert! Your mil is so thoughtful- great gift!
Khushboo recently posted..Back on track

35 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Happy Anniversary! I agree with you on that cheesecake. It looks to DIE FOR :)
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Huevos Con Flay-vah (a.k.a Flavor Eggs!)

36 Lauren January 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Sounds like a wonderful dinner and a perfect way to celebrate each other! I moved ad networks as well and couldn’t be happier. Glam is awesome! You’ll be so happy.
Lauren recently posted..Pan Seared Fillet Mignon with Tomato and Feta Bruschetta

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Happy belated anniversary, my love! I adore the baseball mit idea and I’m so exciiiited to hear more about yo little slugger. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Holiday Break

38 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm

aw! such pretty flowers :) sounds like the perfect celebration ♥ (..and that leather mit idea is too cute!)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..How to Start Couponing and Clean Eating (At the Same Time!)

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 3, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Aww, that baby/anniversary gift is adorable! I am glad that you had such a great day!

P.s. I saw your post of that carrot cake cheesecake last night on Twitter and about died…that looks so stinkin’ good!!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: January 2, 2013

40 Alaina January 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm

That meal looks amazing. I love Italian food!

Happy Anniversary!! :-)
Alaina recently posted..2013: A Year of Challenges

41 Katie @ Livehalffull January 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Happy Anniversary! What an awesome day!

42 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Holy moly, look at at that awesome food… why did they bring out that awesome looking doughy dessert so early, were you supposed to eat it right then? lol
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Thoughts On Taking Supplements?

43 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections January 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

That is an adorable gift from your in-laws. I can’t believe they got a right and left-handed glove! Too cute. That bruchetta looks out of this world!!! Wow, I’d love to try that place!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Zippy Elliptical Workout

44 Annette@FitnessPerks January 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

That bruschetta does look good! Happy anniversary to you guys <3
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Feeling Thankful + Giveaway Winner

45 Linz @ Itz Linz January 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm

So sweet!! And that glove is adorable. Itz funny because I’m a lefty too and when my hubby found out, he always jokes that that’s what sealed the deal for our marriage haha (Baseball was totally his sport – varsity all four years, captain, VERY competitive)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Awesome Fitness Gear for $40

46 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Love the baseball glove gift… so cute! That bruschetta looks AMAZING!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW &ndash; First Day of 2013

47 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife January 3, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Happy Anniversary! (:
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Healthy Eating Planning

48 Bek @ Crave January 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Looks like an amazing dinner. And aww what a sweetie- those roses are so beautiful :) Ps. Yay for leftovers!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Labels

49 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Those flowers are beautiful. I love getting flowers randomly, it really shows that they thought of you!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..Possibilities

50 Angela January 4, 2013 at 12:05 am

Such a cute little idea!! For my first anniversary I did the traditional paper gift route… which was pretty easy. So many ideas! I know it will get harder as the years go on. :) Happy anniversary!
Angela recently posted..2012-The Year of Changes

51 Miranda @ Biting Life January 4, 2013 at 1:12 am

Awwww those roses are BEAUTIFUL! You’re one lucky girl ;)
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Other People&#8217;s Recipes &#8212; December 2012

52 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 4, 2013 at 7:20 am

All of that food looks delicious but that dessert, WOW! I love carrot cake. It looks heavenly :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Fun Finds Friday: Cereal Edition!!!…

53 Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 5, 2013 at 12:12 am

awww everything on this post is so sweet! Figuratively and literally. :) haha, I love how grandparents get so excited for us pregnant girls as it makes everything that much more exciting for the coming baby! And I agree that fried food in general doesn’t sit well in the tummy, but during pregnancy it’s definitely a no-no if you want to avoid indigestion. For me though, the SMELL of fried food makes me gag, hah!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..A New Program with Leah Sarago