Finally Getting Back To Normal

Okay, so I think that my lungs are FINALLY getting back to normal. Thank, freakin, goodness!

Even though I’ve only been on the prednisone and new inhaler for 2-1/2 days, I’m already feeling a world of difference. I’ve only had to use my rescue inhaler twice since then (I was using it 7-8 times per day before) and I can finally walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I’m carrying a piano on my back. In fact, I’m feeling so much better that I’m hoping to get in a workout after work today. Nothing crazy, seeing as though I’m still working on getting over the rest of this cold and am sporting a cough that sounds like death. But overall, I’m finally feeling back to myself…and it’s a wonderful thing!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was one that I suddenly found myself craving at 9pm last night, so I decided to put it together to have for today.

breakfast

Thankfully, the craving was still there this morning. ;)

Overnight oats…without a jar! I mixed up some of the usual staples last night (Coach’s oats, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, water, chia seeds, plain Chobani, cinnamon, nutmeg, half a mashed banana, raisins) and let it soak overnight. This morning, all I had to do was add half of a crumbled piece of pumpkin bread and half a packet of Justin’s maple almond butter.

overnight oats

Absolutely delicious (and filling) breakfast.

Before I prepped my breakfast last night, I also made sure to put together today’s lunch, which I was really looking forward to.

lunch

It’s so funny, because for the amount that I used to eat this type of meal (aka, almost every day) I’m surprised that I’m back to craving it again. I thought for sure that I was done with that phase, but apparently I was wrong.

Today included some baby carrots and celery with hummus, and a vanilla Chobani with blueberries, bananas, and some Special K Protein cereal.

Although I haven’t eaten it yet (lunch was surprisingly filling for now) I also have another mini sweet potato for later.

sweet potato

I promise…there is a sweet potato under all that salsa and plain Chobani somewhere. ;)

sweet potato with salsa

So I’m really looking forward to after work today because I don’t have anything on the agenda. Yessssss.

I’m hoping to go home, get a workout in, break out the cozies, eat some dinner (would be totally happy with the grilled turkey bacon, tomato, and cheese sandwich I’ve been thinking about for the past day), then veg on the couch while catching up on our DVR. Our Wednesday night DVR schedule is sort of ridiculous, and since we didn’t watch any of them last night, we have quite a bit of catching up to do!

Favorite Pandora Stations?

So most days, I tend to have Pandora open on my computer and listen to it while I’m here at work. Typically, I cycle between 311 Radio, Bruno Mars Radio, and Gavin DeGraw Radio…but I’m starting to get kinda bored with all of them. I need some new ideas! Do any of you have any favorite stations on Pandora that you absolutely love?? If so, send ‘em my way! :)

Comments

Mmm your lunch looks awesome!

I don’t love listening to ‘word’ songs while working–sometimes I have to write pretty intense emails, so it distracts me. If you want more ‘calming’–the Pandora station of “Christofori’s Dream” is an awesome one. I also like Enya & Adele too. But for upbeat ones, Glee, Taylor Swift, & Lady Gaga are fun ones.
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Failure Equals Success

2. Jaime says

I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better, but I honestly think you over-reacted in regards to your doctor appt. I am sure he said things that did not sit well with you, but, in my opinion, it didn’t warrant such an uproar. (reporting the incident to the head office, complaining to his office staff) We are grown-ups and live in the real world and you have to know that everyone is not going to always say the things you want to hear in the way you want to hear them. Obviously, his diagnosis and prescription are working for you, so he must know what he is talking about. Maybe is is right about how your asthma can affect your health and your baby’s health, too. I think it was wrong of you to just right him off as a jerk just because you were being Sensitive Sally that day. Look, I have a child, I’ve been pregnant before, and I know your body is full of hormones going crazy. But you have to keep in mind that you are messing with somebody’s livelihood when you fly off the handle and complain all the way up the chain. Next time you should sleep on it and think about if it really warrants such a strong reaction. Just my opinion.

• Courtney says

I appreciate your opinion, Jaime, but I honestly do not regret my reaction to the situation at all. The way that this doctor reacted and spoke to me was completely insensitive and unnecessary. I never discounted the fact that his diagnosis was bad; as you said, it’s working, and that’s great, and I have no doubt that he knows what he’s talking about. But this man was just unbelievably rude, and had you been there, I’m sure you’d agree that no patient deserves to be spoken to the way that I was, to be made out to feel and look like a fool. It had nothing to do with being a “Sensitive Sally,” and it certainly has nothing to do with any pregnancy hormones, and I actually think that it’s a bit unnecessary for you to try to make that accusation. I also think there’s a bit of a difference between “flying off the handle” and asking the receptionist to have my next appointment with a different doctor. If my husband wants to call the office and complain, I don’t have control over his actions; but either way, I still don’t regret how any of it was handled.

• Mallory says

Beautiful response, Courtney. I couldn’t agree with YOU more. Jaime’s response was just off on so many levels. Wow.

• Kathy says

I kind of agree with Jaime. While you may not have liked the doctor’s “scare” tactics, I was a little surprised to read you felt like you were carrying a piano on your back and using your rescue inhaler that many times a day. Clearly there was a major issue going on with your asthma. Perhaps the doctor was just as surprised he was just then seeing you for relief. And now you know the severity of the situation and how it affects the baby.

• Courtney says

Well, fortunately, the asthma really only got THAT bad after the cold settled in but yes, you are absolutely right. My asthma needed to get under control, and I’m very happy and relieved to now be feeling better and on the right meds. Like I had said to Jaime, I know he knows his stuff, but whether he was surprised or not, I just wish he would have handled it differently.

3. Amanda says

Ah I listen to Pandora (and Spotify) at work all day! Some favorite Pandora stations are:

– John Mayer
    – Alanis Morisette (it’s an awesome mix of 90s)
    – Mumford & Sons
    – Taylor Swift

4. Emily says

If you’re looking for some pretty awesome throwback jams, listen to Vanilla Ice Radio. It’s something else. A great one for parties, too! Otherwise, for something a little more calming, I like these stations: Micheal Buble, Coldplay, or Whitney Houston.

Yay Courtney! Sounds like things are all getting back to normal, good for you! Glad you have the lung issue under control…scary! As far as pandora goes, I too listen all day…I have Hey Ya! Radio…Scream & Shout radio (it’s hit or miss), Boyce Avenue, Florence & The Machine, and Muse Radio that I usually am on : ) Give em a try!
    Claire recently posted..A very merry Christmas!

6. cathy says

I don’t have asthma at all, but when I was pregnant with my son walking up stairs would completely wind me. Position maybe? Didn’t happen with my daughter and I gained less with him so I know it wasn’t a weight issue. :)

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit back tomorrow. I just read your Doctor experience and am sorry that happened to you! Maybe you caught him on a bad day, but as a Doctor you should know to never speak to a patient in that manner. That is just horrible. Oh yum that lunch sounds good! Interesting combo, but I like the sounds of it:)
    Lisa recently posted..A Boost of Happiness

8. Kate says

I highlyyyy suggest spotify radio. Its just as good at finding similar music to the song or artist but so much more variety.

9. Jane says

You should try iHeartRadio. Lots of great stations on there – you can make your own or listen to one of theirs. I’ve been listening to their cardio station lately when working out, love it! Plus they have local stations. Cool stuff!
    Jane recently posted..Hiatus

I am so glad to hear that you are finally starting to feel better! Just in time for the weekend. I hope you have something fun planned! ;)

Don’t you love when you are craving something at night and then get to enjoy it first thing in the morning for breakfast? It almost makes me excited to get out of bed in the morning!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: January 9, 2013

11. Jessie says

Lumineers radio is great – I recently started listening and am loving it. Glad you’re starting to feel better!

Whenever I’m doing something really mindless at work I listen to Pandora’s Dane Cook station for some comedic release. It’s so funny and I love hearing all the different comedians that pop up! Sometimes (scratch that- a lot of times) I LOL in my cube!

13. hayley says

i always have pandora up at work! i usually cycle through muse, of monsters and men, florence and the machine, 311 and tanlines :) happy to hear you’re feeling better!!

14. jeanne says

So glad you’re starting to feel better! Try Matt White on Pandora. Chill music but it’s not sleep-inducing so it’s good to have on while working.

15. Erin says

Colbie Caillat is a great pandora station! I find I don’t get inappropriate songs and there is a good mix of mellow and upbeat music.

16. Renee says

Have you tried Songza?! No commercials and it’s free! It lets you select what you’re wanting music for (studying, working out, road trip, etc) and makes the playlist for you! It’s my new fav!

17. Faith says

Great to hear that your new regimen is helping. It’s always such a world of relief when you get finally crack a nagging problem that you’ve been dealing with for a while! Not to echo the tactless doctor, but you can get used to feeling a certain way (lousy) and then hear angels sing when you finally get it right!

18. Carol T. says

Glad you are feeling better. I too have asthma and it is finally under control after trying different types of inhalers. That is the worst feeling when you can’t breathe, like a ton of bricks on your chest. I was afraid this head cold I have would have turned into bronchitis, but it did not.

You did the right thing about your doctor. Sounds like he has the worst bed side manners. There are alot of good doctors out there that are great with their patients. Maybe, the doctor was having a bad day!!!! But, that is no reason for him to be nasty to you.

Enjoy the weekend…it soon will be here :)