Finally Getting Back To Normal

by Courtney on January 10, 2013

Okay, so I think that my lungs are FINALLY getting back to normal. Thank, freakin, goodness!

Even though I’ve only been on the prednisone and new inhaler for 2-1/2 days, I’m already feeling a world of difference. I’ve only had to use my rescue inhaler twice since then (I was using it 7-8 times per day before) and I can finally walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I’m carrying a piano on my back. In fact, I’m feeling so much better that I’m hoping to get in a workout after work today. Nothing crazy, seeing as though I’m still working on getting over the rest of this cold and am sporting a cough that sounds like death. But overall, I’m finally feeling back to myself…and it’s a wonderful thing!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was one that I suddenly found myself craving at 9pm last night, so I decided to put it together to have for today.

breakfast

Thankfully, the craving was still there this morning. ;)

Overnight oats…without a jar! I mixed up some of the usual staples last night (Coach’s oats, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, water, chia seeds, plain Chobani, cinnamon, nutmeg, half a mashed banana, raisins) and let it soak overnight. This morning, all I had to do was add half of a crumbled piece of pumpkin bread and half a packet of Justin’s maple almond butter.

overnight oats

Absolutely delicious (and filling) breakfast.

Before I prepped my breakfast last night, I also made sure to put together today’s lunch, which I was really looking forward to.

lunch

It’s so funny, because for the amount that I used to eat this type of meal (aka, almost every day) I’m surprised that I’m back to craving it again. I thought for sure that I was done with that phase, but apparently I was wrong.

Today included some baby carrots and celery with hummus, and a vanilla Chobani with blueberries, bananas, and some Special K Protein cereal.

Although I haven’t eaten it yet (lunch was surprisingly filling for now) I also have another mini sweet potato for later.

sweet potato

I promise…there is a sweet potato under all that salsa and plain Chobani somewhere. ;)

sweet potato with salsa

So I’m really looking forward to after work today because I don’t have anything on the agenda. Yessssss.

I’m hoping to go home, get a workout in, break out the cozies, eat some dinner (would be totally happy with the grilled turkey bacon, tomato, and cheese sandwich I’ve been thinking about for the past day), then veg on the couch while catching up on our DVR. Our Wednesday night DVR schedule is sort of ridiculous, and since we didn’t watch any of them last night, we have quite a bit of catching up to do!

Favorite Pandora Stations?

So most days, I tend to have Pandora open on my computer and listen to it while I’m here at work. Typically, I cycle between 311 Radio, Bruno Mars Radio, and Gavin DeGraw Radio…but I’m starting to get kinda bored with all of them. I need some new ideas! Do any of you have any favorite stations on Pandora that you absolutely love?? If so, send ‘em my way! :)

1 Annette@FitnessPerks January 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Mmm your lunch looks awesome!

I don’t love listening to ‘word’ songs while working–sometimes I have to write pretty intense emails, so it distracts me. If you want more ‘calming’–the Pandora station of “Christofori’s Dream” is an awesome one. I also like Enya & Adele too. But for upbeat ones, Glee, Taylor Swift, & Lady Gaga are fun ones.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Failure Equals Success

2 Allison January 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

If you like Bruno Mars, you’ll probably love Mayer Hawthorne!

3 Jaime January 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better, but I honestly think you over-reacted in regards to your doctor appt. I am sure he said things that did not sit well with you, but, in my opinion, it didn’t warrant such an uproar. (reporting the incident to the head office, complaining to his office staff) We are grown-ups and live in the real world and you have to know that everyone is not going to always say the things you want to hear in the way you want to hear them. Obviously, his diagnosis and prescription are working for you, so he must know what he is talking about. Maybe is is right about how your asthma can affect your health and your baby’s health, too. I think it was wrong of you to just right him off as a jerk just because you were being Sensitive Sally that day. Look, I have a child, I’ve been pregnant before, and I know your body is full of hormones going crazy. But you have to keep in mind that you are messing with somebody’s livelihood when you fly off the handle and complain all the way up the chain. Next time you should sleep on it and think about if it really warrants such a strong reaction. Just my opinion.

4 Courtney January 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I appreciate your opinion, Jaime, but I honestly do not regret my reaction to the situation at all. The way that this doctor reacted and spoke to me was completely insensitive and unnecessary. I never discounted the fact that his diagnosis was bad; as you said, it’s working, and that’s great, and I have no doubt that he knows what he’s talking about. But this man was just unbelievably rude, and had you been there, I’m sure you’d agree that no patient deserves to be spoken to the way that I was, to be made out to feel and look like a fool. It had nothing to do with being a “Sensitive Sally,” and it certainly has nothing to do with any pregnancy hormones, and I actually think that it’s a bit unnecessary for you to try to make that accusation. I also think there’s a bit of a difference between “flying off the handle” and asking the receptionist to have my next appointment with a different doctor. If my husband wants to call the office and complain, I don’t have control over his actions; but either way, I still don’t regret how any of it was handled.

5 Mallory January 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Beautiful response, Courtney. I couldn’t agree with YOU more. Jaime’s response was just off on so many levels. Wow.

6 Lisa January 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You handled this A LOT better than I would have.

7 Kathy January 11, 2013 at 6:30 am

I kind of agree with Jaime. While you may not have liked the doctor’s “scare” tactics, I was a little surprised to read you felt like you were carrying a piano on your back and using your rescue inhaler that many times a day. Clearly there was a major issue going on with your asthma. Perhaps the doctor was just as surprised he was just then seeing you for relief. And now you know the severity of the situation and how it affects the baby.

8 Courtney January 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

Well, fortunately, the asthma really only got THAT bad after the cold settled in but yes, you are absolutely right. My asthma needed to get under control, and I’m very happy and relieved to now be feeling better and on the right meds. Like I had said to Jaime, I know he knows his stuff, but whether he was surprised or not, I just wish he would have handled it differently.

9 Amy January 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Do you like a cappella? I made a Pitch Perfect (soundtrack) station and it’s so fun.
Amy recently posted..Breakfast Quinoa with Caramelized Bananas

10 Jennifer Dunham January 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Margaritaville all the way!
Jennifer Dunham recently posted..New Year, New Goals

11 Nicole January 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I love O.A.R & Dispatch and Girl Talk for working out.
Nicole recently posted..Well hello There

12 Amanda January 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Ah I listen to Pandora (and Spotify) at work all day! Some favorite Pandora stations are:

– John Mayer
– Alanis Morisette (it’s an awesome mix of 90s)
– Mumford & Sons
– Taylor Swift

13 michelle kim January 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Yay! Catching up on DVR is fun :D
And I don’t listen to Pandora much, but my roommate always has her Beyonce station on, so that’s usually what I hear in the house.
michelle kim recently posted..Dropsets

14 Emily January 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

If you’re looking for some pretty awesome throwback jams, listen to Vanilla Ice Radio. It’s something else. A great one for parties, too! Otherwise, for something a little more calming, I like these stations: Micheal Buble, Coldplay, or Whitney Houston.

15 Claire January 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Yay Courtney! Sounds like things are all getting back to normal, good for you! Glad you have the lung issue under control…scary! As far as pandora goes, I too listen all day…I have Hey Ya! Radio…Scream & Shout radio (it’s hit or miss), Boyce Avenue, Florence & The Machine, and Muse Radio that I usually am on : ) Give em a try!
Claire recently posted..A very merry Christmas!

16 Sri Devi January 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I tend to like indie music so the Grouplove and the Fun. station are two I frequent.

17 cathy January 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I don’t have asthma at all, but when I was pregnant with my son walking up stairs would completely wind me. Position maybe? Didn’t happen with my daughter and I gained less with him so I know it wasn’t a weight issue. :)

18 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced January 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

You should download Spotify!!! SOooooo much better than Pandora!! :)
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Ragnar Relay Miami to Key West

19 Hayley C January 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

My favorites are The Lumineers and Mumford and Sons!

20 Lisa January 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit back tomorrow. I just read your Doctor experience and am sorry that happened to you! Maybe you caught him on a bad day, but as a Doctor you should know to never speak to a patient in that manner. That is just horrible. Oh yum that lunch sounds good! Interesting combo, but I like the sounds of it:)
Lisa recently posted..A Boost of Happiness

21 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

You should switch to Spotify! It’s like Pandora, but better!

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I love listening to oldies so my favorite stations are James Taylor and the America station!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: Ode To The Goodness Of Chobani

23 Tracey January 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Today’s Adult Hits plays some good stuff too!

24 Kate January 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I highlyyyy suggest spotify radio. Its just as good at finding similar music to the song or artist but so much more variety.

25 Kelsey January 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm

90’s pop, 98 degrees, celine dion, 90’s country

26 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

My husband and I have been liking Fun. radio on Pandora!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..KISS: Maple Mustard Salmon with Rosemary Butternut Squash

27 alyssa - life a la wife January 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I listen to Disney station on Pandora – always cheers me up :)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Wedding Recap: Getting Ready

28 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Agree!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..God knows better than me?!….. Who knew?!

29 Jane January 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm

You should try iHeartRadio. Lots of great stations on there – you can make your own or listen to one of theirs. I’ve been listening to their cardio station lately when working out, love it! Plus they have local stations. Cool stuff!
Jane recently posted..Hiatus

30 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I am so glad to hear that you are finally starting to feel better! Just in time for the weekend. I hope you have something fun planned! ;)

Don’t you love when you are craving something at night and then get to enjoy it first thing in the morning for breakfast? It almost makes me excited to get out of bed in the morning!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: January 9, 2013

31 Ashlee January 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

If you like country check out Blake Shelton radio..love it! Also Call Me Maybe radio plays some good new hits !!
Ashlee recently posted..All Smiles

32 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I love days where there is nothing going on after work. They’re the best!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..active by old navy

33 Jessie January 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Lumineers radio is great – I recently started listening and am loving it. Glad you’re starting to feel better!

34 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Pandora Disney! Think Beauty and the Beast – Be Our Guest and Aladdin – A Whole New World. Instantly brightens my mood and transports me back to my childhood :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

35 Lauren @ Berry Sweet Lauren January 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I just made overnight oats this week after taking a pretty long break from them (I was eating it every day for months). I forgot how delicious overnight oats are! Breakfast tomorrow? ;)
Lauren @ Berry Sweet Lauren recently posted..WIAW #1

36 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats January 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Whenever I’m doing something really mindless at work I listen to Pandora’s Dane Cook station for some comedic release. It’s so funny and I love hearing all the different comedians that pop up! Sometimes (scratch that- a lot of times) I LOL in my cube!

37 Danica @ It's Progression January 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Glad you’re feeling tons better!
My favorite pandora stations right now are “Pink” and “Sleep Station” (the latter is obviously more calm and relaxing, great for in-the-background-while-working music : )
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..it’s not supposed to be easy.

38 Miranda @ Biting Life January 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Wait… sweet potato, salsa, and Greek yogurt??? I guess you really are pregnant ;)

39 Courtney January 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Lol…don’t knock it til ya try it!! ;)

40 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

My favorite Pandora stations are Disney, Wicked, Glee, and Today’s Hits (aside from Christmas!) Can you tell I am a musical theater geek!?
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..A Breakfast Favorite: Overnight Oats

41 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’m guilty too! I have every one of those on my Pandora as well! Can’t help a good ol’ fashion Les Mis/Wicked sing-along!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Audition Time!

42 Alana January 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Sweet Disposition radio station….that song by Temper Trap. REALLY good.

43 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom January 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I like the Pink station on Pandora. Girl Power all the way, lol!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Cauliflower Crust Pizza

44 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Glad you’re feeling better! My absolute favorite Pandora station is 90s Alternative… there are some oldies but goodies on there!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Hawaiian BBQ Pork (Slow Cooker Recipe)

45 Lisa January 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I agree with Erica. As well as 90s Hip-Hop.

46 My Neon Running Shoes January 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Sorry I don’t have a good pandora station… I need help too! You might find my post today interesting. Let me know ;-)
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Thanks Janae, some ark building, and scrapbook love.

47 hayley January 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm

i always have pandora up at work! i usually cycle through muse, of monsters and men, florence and the machine, 311 and tanlines :) happy to hear you’re feeling better!!

48 Erin January 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I love Duffy radio. I just love her voice :)

49 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I wish I could listen to pandora! I run all over a hospital for 12 hours a day and don’t even get a lunch :(

But when I was a student and hit the books a few years ago I would always listen to NSYNC radio. It’s so corny, buy it reminded me of a simpler time when I was a tween loving Justin Timberlake lol
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..Make it Happen Even if it Hurts!

50 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

We’re on the saaame wave length, girl! I’m parking my booty on the couch tonight and watching some catch up TV, and the new Big Bang Theory episode :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..When to Change Up the Program: Periodization

51 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 10, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I usually have some 80’s 90’s pop or hip hop on, haha. gets me pumped!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Breakfast : Chest : Lunch : Snatch

52 jeanne January 10, 2013 at 8:44 pm

So glad you’re starting to feel better! Try Matt White on Pandora. Chill music but it’s not sleep-inducing so it’s good to have on while working.

53 Lauren January 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm

The Ben Howard station has been on my Pandora for months! That and The Lumineers! Both fantastic. Glad you are feeling better!
Lauren recently posted..My Workout Routine Now and Moving Forward

54 ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 10, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I love the Lady Antebellum station and the Michael Buble station! :)
ashley@cupcakesncrunches recently posted..TRX +Tips for a Better Run

55 Kelsey Y. January 10, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Mumford and Sons has a really good radio; its one of my favorites!

56 Erin January 10, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Colbie Caillat is a great pandora station! I find I don’t get inappropriate songs and there is a good mix of mellow and upbeat music.

57 Renee January 10, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Have you tried Songza?! No commercials and it’s free! It lets you select what you’re wanting music for (studying, working out, road trip, etc) and makes the playlist for you! It’s my new fav!

58 alyssa January 11, 2013 at 6:58 am

Eric Hutchinson Radio on Pandora – it’s a game changer! I think you’d really like it based on the other stations you mentioned. :)
alyssa recently posted..On The Road

59 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 11, 2013 at 7:48 am

Whew I’m glad you are feeling better!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Soooo I’m on Bed rest

60 Faith January 11, 2013 at 7:56 am

Great to hear that your new regimen is helping. It’s always such a world of relief when you get finally crack a nagging problem that you’ve been dealing with for a while! Not to echo the tactless doctor, but you can get used to feeling a certain way (lousy) and then hear angels sing when you finally get it right!

61 Carol T. January 11, 2013 at 8:42 am

Glad you are feeling better. I too have asthma and it is finally under control after trying different types of inhalers. That is the worst feeling when you can’t breathe, like a ton of bricks on your chest. I was afraid this head cold I have would have turned into bronchitis, but it did not.

You did the right thing about your doctor. Sounds like he has the worst bed side manners. There are alot of good doctors out there that are great with their patients. Maybe, the doctor was having a bad day!!!! But, that is no reason for him to be nasty to you.

Enjoy the weekend…it soon will be here :)

62 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness January 11, 2013 at 10:25 am

I have really been into the Tom Petty channel or Sublime channel lately. Oldies but goodies.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..WellBitten Wellness Tip: Protect your Winter Eyes

63 Megan January 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

Matchbox 20 Pandora is awesome! And surprisingly enough: Avril Lavigne! I don’t like too many of her songs, but for some reason, I love her Pandora station! Glad to hear you are feeling better :)
Megan recently posted..Routine Is The Enemy

64 Alaina January 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I wonder if they have The Script station. I am LOVING their new song and I’ll bet there’s a lot of great songs just like it. :-)

I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better!
Alaina recently posted..Three Months In

65 Bek @ Crave January 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Yum breakfast looks awesome! I’m glad you’re feeling better :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Mother Daughter Date

66 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre January 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

I always keep Pandora on at work too, but usually more low key channels like Fleet Foxes and Lumineers.
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..Lap Partner

67 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 16, 2013 at 6:32 am

Pandora has some awesome genre channels, if you want variety you should pick one of those!

Your overnight oats look amazing – I have only tried overnight oats once.. I am not usually prepared enough to work out my breakfast the night before.
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu

68 Sarah January 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm

SO GLAD you are feeling better, I was sick a few months ago and was using my rescue inhaler 8 times a day too it was ridiculous!
Sarah recently posted..Christmas in January Part II