Tomato & Butternut Squash Mac ‘n’ Cheese

You know those meals where you totally feel like you could go back for seconds…maybe even thirds?

Yeah, that was me last night with this meal.

butternut squash mac and cheese and brussels sprouts

As I mentioned earlier, last night was a successful attempt at one of my pinned Pinterest recipes. The first recipe I decided to tackle came courtesy of Eat Yourself Skinny, but because it was a last minute decision to make it, I didn’t have all of her original ingredients on hand and I had to improvise. Hey, no problem-o.

butternut squash mac and cheese and brussels sprouts

Before I get to the good stuff though, I know some of you seemed interested to find out the recipe that I used for the brussels sprouts. I found this easy recipe online and just went with that; like I said, it was good, but I think I may need to try something else with a little more pizazz or something.

Alright, NOW. On to the good stuff…

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

Honestly, I think this recipe could be awesome with whatever sort of cheese you have on hand and enjoy. For me, it was a whole slew of different ones, which all blended together really nicely. The amount of cheese that I used was actually slightly less than the original version, but I’m sure it’d be awesome if you went with a little more. I mean, c’mon, we’re talkin’ cheese here.

I’d also definitley add some more tomatoes next time, but that’s just because I LOVE me some tomatoes in my mac and cheese. Seriously. Can’t get enough of them.

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

I packed some leftovers up with me for today’s lunch (we had SO much left over after last night’s dinner…even after going back for seconds thirds, we probably still had about 3/4 of the dish left) and it was just as delicious today as it was yesterday.

So if you’re in the mood for a semi-healthy (hey, there’s vegetables in there!) carb-tastic meal of mac and cheese, definitely give this one a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Even Jay, who despises hidden veggies in his food was a total fan and went back for seconds himself. Give it a shot and let me know whatcha think! :)

Comments

This looks delicious! I’ve always been really skeptical of cooking with squash because I’m not a huge fan of the flavor but it would be great to add to mac and cheese to healthify it a little bit. Seriously, I think I’m having mac and cheese for dinner tonight.
    Sarah @Pickyrunner recently posted..How Much is too Much?

And here we have yet another recipe where Laughing Cow cheese wedges make the perfect addition. I swear those things are miracle workers in the kitchen! 😉

This recipe sounds delicious. I have made a vegan butternut squash mac and “cheese,” but I love the sound of adding tomatoes and bread crumbs and baking it. Thanks for sharing! :)
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

Yum. One of my favorite recipes I made back in the fall was Jessica of How Sweet’s butternut squash mac and cheese. I finally got around to actually organizing my recipes on Pinterest. I made a new board so that I can move the recipes that I’ve made and loved! And now I can better see which ones I still need to try!
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet Staples

I just had to tell you that I just made this for dinner and hubby and I loved it! My hubby also is not a veggie fan but he admitted the cheesy goodness overpowered the veggies! Thanks for always sharing your delicious recipes. I’ve true recipes from many other blogs that claim they are good and they end up tasting horrible. However all the recipes I’ve tried from your blog have been incredible! So thank you for all your hard work!

I love tomato soup & velvetta macaroni and cheese so this definitely sounds like a healthier and delicious version! I never thought to add laughing cow cheese! Sounds yummy!

6. JJ says

Have you tried putting rotel (canned tomatoes and mild green chilis) instead of plain tomatoes in your Mac and cheese? It is so good. I will do crumbled bacon and rotel in our Mac and cheese sometimes. Not too healthy but delicious.

That looks soooo good Courtney!! I love love love butternut squash. But! I’m dying to know what spice you put in after the pepper, because it’s missing :) 1/4 tsp of what?! I’m in suspense!
    Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..4 Years