Tomato & Butternut Squash Mac ‘n’ Cheese

by Courtney on January 18, 2013

You know those meals where you totally feel like you could go back for seconds…maybe even thirds?

Yeah, that was me last night with this meal.

butternut squash mac and cheese and brussels sprouts

As I mentioned earlier, last night was a successful attempt at one of my pinned Pinterest recipes. The first recipe I decided to tackle came courtesy of Eat Yourself Skinny, but because it was a last minute decision to make it, I didn’t have all of her original ingredients on hand and I had to improvise. Hey, no problem-o.

butternut squash mac and cheese and brussels sprouts

Before I get to the good stuff though, I know some of you seemed interested to find out the recipe that I used for the brussels sprouts. I found this easy recipe online and just went with that; like I said, it was good, but I think I may need to try something else with a little more pizazz or something.

Alright, NOW. On to the good stuff…

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

Honestly, I think this recipe could be awesome with whatever sort of cheese you have on hand and enjoy. For me, it was a whole slew of different ones, which all blended together really nicely. The amount of cheese that I used was actually slightly less than the original version, but I’m sure it’d be awesome if you went with a little more. I mean, c’mon, we’re talkin’ cheese here.

I’d also definitley add some more tomatoes next time, but that’s just because I LOVE me some tomatoes in my mac and cheese. Seriously. Can’t get enough of them.

tomato and butternut squash mac and cheese

I packed some leftovers up with me for today’s lunch (we had SO much left over after last night’s dinner…even after going back for seconds thirds, we probably still had about 3/4 of the dish left) and it was just as delicious today as it was yesterday.

So if you’re in the mood for a semi-healthy (hey, there’s vegetables in there!) carb-tastic meal of mac and cheese, definitely give this one a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Even Jay, who despises hidden veggies in his food was a total fan and went back for seconds himself. Give it a shot and let me know whatcha think! :)

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

This mac and cheese looks so good! I’ve always wanted to try butternut squash in mac and cheese since I’ve seen so many recipes that use it. Definitely trying this! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Fun Finds Friday: Snack Edition!!…

2 Khushboo January 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Kraft who? This sounds awesome!
Khushboo recently posted..Weekend countdown

3 Sarah @Pickyrunner January 18, 2013 at 1:10 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve always been really skeptical of cooking with squash because I’m not a huge fan of the flavor but it would be great to add to mac and cheese to healthify it a little bit. Seriously, I think I’m having mac and cheese for dinner tonight.
Sarah @Pickyrunner recently posted..How Much is too Much?

4 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm

And here we have yet another recipe where Laughing Cow cheese wedges make the perfect addition. I swear those things are miracle workers in the kitchen! ;)

This recipe sounds delicious. I have made a vegan butternut squash mac and “cheese,” but I love the sound of adding tomatoes and bread crumbs and baking it. Thanks for sharing! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

This looks great! I actually pinned it the other day, and I definitely need to give it a try.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Puppy Love

6 Linz @ Itz Linz January 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

that looks SO good! i love bulking up pasta dishes with tons of veggies – even better when they’re hidden!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I’m thinkin’…

7 Lisa January 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm

This screams comfort food and looks incredible! Saving, now to pick up butternut! I don’t typically like pasta, but mac and cheese I can’t pass up!
Lisa recently posted..Confessions

8 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Yum! I love butternut mac and cheese – I actually have a new version on the menu tomorrow :) Vegan mac and cheese at it’s best! Love the idea of adding in the tomatoes.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Inspired by carnivores

9 Lindsay January 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm

That really does look so good. I can’t remember the last time I had Mac N Cheese! The way you made it makes it more… “grown up” with the veggies haha :)
Lindsay recently posted..high five friday #6: blog madness.

10 Cait @ Chicago Girl Fitness January 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh my goodness, that looks SO good!! I’ve always wanted to try butternut squash mac & cheese…
Cait @ Chicago Girl Fitness recently posted..Good & Bad

11 Cassie @RedLetterDaye January 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I sometimes “trick” my boyfriend into eating healthier foods. He never has a clue.

You’re roasted brussels are making me hungry! :)

12 Lauren January 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm

This looks fabulous! I love butternut squash for just about any recipe, but especially in a cheesy dish like this. Yum!
Lauren recently posted..Cooking For One: Sun Dried Tomato Goat Cheese Ravioli with Chicken Sausage

13 Ashlee January 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I love butternut squash mac! I’ve made my own recipe before, http://hisnhershealthynhappy.com/guilty-face-vegan-mac-n-cheese/, but I think adding chopped tomatoes and bread crumbs would definitely take it up a notch! I’ll def be trying that!!
Ashlee recently posted..Workin’ Out in a Bathroom Stall

14 My Neon Running Shoes January 18, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing! Vegetables in it definitely make it qualify as healthy! I can’t wait to try this and report back ;-) Happy Friday!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..We did the unthinkable.

15 Annette@FitnessPerks January 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Ooooh this does look good! Cheese & noodles with some veg is always a good plan ;)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Currently…. {survey}

16 Angela @ Health's Angel January 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Yum. One of my favorite recipes I made back in the fall was Jessica of How Sweet’s butternut squash mac and cheese. I finally got around to actually organizing my recipes on Pinterest. I made a new board so that I can move the recipes that I’ve made and loved! And now I can better see which ones I still need to try!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet Staples

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

This looks delicious. I’ve actually never had tomatoes in my mac & cheese, but it sounds great!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bourbon Street Chicken

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Looks great! Mac and cheese is one of my favorites, so I pinned this for future reference!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 38

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Baked Mac & Cheese is like the ultimate comfort food, and I’m with you that tomatoes are a must… I’m definitely one of those people that used to add ketchup to their bowl of KD :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... a foodie’s nightmare .

20 Beks January 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Holy MOLY! That looks fantastic! I have a butternut squash. I should totally make that this weekend. :-)
Beks recently posted..The Paranormals (Jenny Pox, Tommy Nightmare, Alexander Death, Jenny Plague-Bringer) Reviews

21 Madison January 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

YUMMMMM! I need to try that recipe because I’ve never had butternut squash. Time for me to take the plunge! :)
Madison recently posted..Pam’s Oatmeal Cookies

22 Abby J January 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Looks awesome! I think it’s safe to say anything mac and cheese is a winner ;) Have a good weekend!
Abby J recently posted..Friday Five – Pushing Through

23 Miranda @ Biting Life January 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I love butternut squash mac and cheese! I actually just made this butternut squash pasta sauce (not for mac & cheese, just regular pasta) last night, that I can’t wait to share on my blog soon!
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Shopping List Friday #12

24 Angela January 18, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Looks amazing!! I also love Brussels, usually with olive oil, garlic, and sometimes rosemary. SO good.
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take two}

25 Aurora@Fitness is Sweet January 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I love mac n cheese with butternut squash! My all time favorite mac n cheese recipe is Cooking Light’s version with butternut squash!
Aurora@Fitness is Sweet recently posted..The Big Question

26 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm

That looks SO good!! I bought some nutritional yeast so I might have to figure out how to make this recipe dairy free because it looks SO good!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday / Oh where, Oh where?

27 Karla January 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I just had to tell you that I just made this for dinner and hubby and I loved it! My hubby also is not a veggie fan but he admitted the cheesy goodness overpowered the veggies! Thanks for always sharing your delicious recipes. I’ve true recipes from many other blogs that claim they are good and they end up tasting horrible. However all the recipes I’ve tried from your blog have been incredible! So thank you for all your hard work!

28 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I am making brussels tonight mmmmm!
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..She Works Hard For the Money

29 Lauren January 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I love tomato soup & velvetta macaroni and cheese so this definitely sounds like a healthier and delicious version! I never thought to add laughing cow cheese! Sounds yummy!

30 JJ January 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Have you tried putting rotel (canned tomatoes and mild green chilis) instead of plain tomatoes in your Mac and cheese? It is so good. I will do crumbled bacon and rotel in our Mac and cheese sometimes. Not too healthy but delicious.

31 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

The breadcrumbs are definitely seeming to be my favorite part of this post. Mmmm… :)
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Queen of Protein

32 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm

This sounds good! I love cheese so I would make mine reallllly cheesy!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..Drawing a Blank

33 Julie January 19, 2013 at 12:00 am

Ooohhhh my goodness….I want cheese! Honestly, how can you go wrong with cheese?
Julie recently posted..Crazy Stupid Love

34 Danica @ It's Progression January 19, 2013 at 7:45 am

It looks fantastic!! I’ve never cooked with butternut squash before but I’m guessing something cheesy would be a good place to start :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Friday.

35 Nicole @ Curly Mommy January 19, 2013 at 8:43 am

That looks soooo good Courtney!! I love love love butternut squash. But! I’m dying to know what spice you put in after the pepper, because it’s missing :) 1/4 tsp of what?! I’m in suspense!
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..4 Years

36 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

What an awesome recipe – I love pumpkin (or squash as you guys call it)
xo Emily
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu

37 Lauren January 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm

That looks so good, I love Mac and Cheese.
Lauren recently posted..How often should you have dental x-rays taken?