Holy moly, the little man is growing!
Baby Tooth is just over 22 weeks today and is about the length of a spaghetti squash or papaya, depending on where you read. It’s so crazy (and fun) to go back and see just how much he’s growing in there…
Man, what a difference! And I say this to myself every time, but I swear, my belly always looks bigger (to me) in these photos than it does on a day-to-day basis. Either I have a really bad perception of things, or I stick my belly out too much for these pictures.
Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:
- Baby Tooth is about 11 inches long and almost 1 pound.
- He’s starting to look like a miniature newborn! His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he’s even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums.
- His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment.
- Inside his belly, his pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily.
- He’s sleeping in cycles — about 12 to 14 hours per day.
And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:
Weight gained: Judging by what the scale said at my last appointment, I think I’m right around 14-15 pounds…but then again, I could be totally wrong.
Workouts: A few here and there. If my memory serves me correctly, I got in two planned workouts, but I also managed to throw a couple of quick, unplanned circuits in on a couple of days. On Friday, for example, I busted out a quick, 20-minute bodyweight circuit at work, and on Saturday I wound up doing an easy upper body weights workout. I’m also doing my best to get as much walking in as possible during the day.
Symptoms: This past week was a bit more rough than most previous weeks have been:
- Still have round ligament pains and low back pain, but I also keep getting a weird sensation/pain in my upper stomach and wraps all the way to my back. It’s almost like a super full feeling in my stomach, and my upper back just feels like wicked sore. Not sure what’s up with that.
- Nausea…a few days this past week were worse than others, with Wednesday probably being my worst. I just felt queasy and yucky all day long. The rest of the week the queasies would come and go.
- Hunger wasn’t too crazy this week, which was mostly due to the queasy thing going on.
- Frequent sensations to need to use the bathroom, but not having to go nearly as much as I feel like I do.
Movement: Yuppers! Nothing for dad yet though.
Food Aversions: For about four days, I couldn’t touch peanut butter. Didn’t even want to think about it (SO weird, right?). Luckily that went away by this past weekend, and PB is back. Other than that, the thought of shrimp still freaks me out, and I’m not really digging coffee again.
Food Cravings: Ranch dressing (Chelsey got to hear all about this one day this past week!), chai tea (had to have it twice this past week), red meat (especially a cheeseburger, although I didn’t have one this week), and sweet carbs.
Sleep: Ehh, so-so. I’m waking up pretty frequently for bathroom breaks and/or because I can’t get comfortable. There’s also been numerous times where Jay will nudge me and wake me up to tell me to roll over from being on my back. I don’t know why but I roll onto it in my sleep almost every night. I’m also wondering if investing in a body pillow or something similar would help with my sleeping…anyone have any thoughts on this??
Stretch marks? Nada!
Miss Anything? Pre-pregnancy workouts and wearing regular pants. I can still wear most of my regular jeans as long as I either do the rubber band trick or wear my bellaband, but I just miss being able to button them regular.
Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: Buying the rest of our nursery furniture!
Belly Button in or out? In…and I will be absolutely SHOCKED if it ever goes out. I have quite the inny belly button, so little guy will have to work hard to make that happen.
Wedding rings on or off? On.
Happy or moody most of the time: Definitely happy, but this week also included quite a few instances where I would feel overwhelmed by everything. I have soooo many thoughts running through my mind – why can’t I pick a stroller I like, why can’t I find the type of bedding I’m envisioning, I have no idea how to decide on the look of the nursery, what am I going to do about daycare, am I even going to be a good mom?!? As you can see, most of these are miniscule things, that I know will eventually be worked out. I think those hormones of mine have just been working on overdrive this week.
New Baby Items: I actually did have my latest Amazon purchase come in this past week…new reading material!
I’ve heard a lot of great things about each of these three books and I’m excited to dive right into them. I’m really bad at giving book reviews though, so I can’t promise I’ll be able to come back with a full one at any point, but I’ll try my best.
Other than that, we did buy the rest of our nursery furniture over the weekend (although we still need to find a bookshelf of some sort), and we did receive some new baby clothes.
My mother-in-law hooked us up with a full bag of practically brand new newborn outfits for a baby boy, which she found at local thrift shop. Everything is adorable, but I think my favorite is this gator hoodie.
And I also received this absolutely adorable set from my good pal, Ashley, over the weekend.
I mean, how adorable is that, right?!? It was so sweet of her to think of us.
Looking Forward To: Jay being able to feel our little guy, having the nursery cleared out, and hopefully making some progress with it!
Question for the Moms:
Was there a particular time during your pregnancy where you began to feel overwhelmed? What helped ease your nerves?