Healthy Taco Salads with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing

by Courtney on March 27, 2013

I know, I know. I’ve been talking about this thing for days. It’s about time to fill you in on the goods.

So, this taco salad is one that I can absolutely foresee becoming a regular meal in our dinner rotation at home. Not only is it wicked easy to make, but it comes together in no time. Seriously. And really, there’s only three main parts to creating this beauty…

First, prepare your dressing.

Next, cook up your meat.

Then, while that’s cooking (or before, or after) prepare your salad base.

Be sure to have some extra fun toppings, if you so desire. Mexican shredded cheese + tortilla strips were necessities for us.

Throw it all together, and before you know it, you’ve got yourself one killer, healthy taco salad you can feel good about eating.

Looking to make your own now? Well here’s a recipe for ya! (Keep in mind that many of the salad base ingredients do not include measurements. I’m pretty sure you can decide what and how much of your veggie toppings you’d like on your salads). ;)

*We got 3 servings out of this recipe, but had quite a bit of dressing left over. Jay suggested pairing it with some fish tacos, which I think would be amazing.

Mmmm…I’m already excited about making this again! If you decide to give it a whirl, let me know whatcha think! :)

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I love taco salads, and I think this dressing would be a great addition!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I Confess…

2 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Looks great! Also, for your readers who might want to skip making their own creamy cilantro dressing, Trader Joe’s has one I LOVE and it’s very reasonable! On the other hand… you can’t really go wrong with three ingredients!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..And it begins…

3 Linz @ Itz Linz March 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm

WOW that creamy cilantro lime dressing sounds AMAZING!!! and perfect for summer coming up!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Good Earth Tea Giveaway

4 Angela March 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I loveeeeeeee taco salads. I will be making this one soon!
Angela recently posted..Chicken & White Bean Chili [a recipe]

5 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Love Mexican inspired meals and that dressing looks like a major winner!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday!

6 Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I don’t blame ya for loving this! I’ve tried cilantro-y avocado dressing at a restaurant before and truly loved it!!!! This is a stellar recipe Courtney~
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..One Year Anniversary

7 Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection March 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’m going to have to try that dressing! It sounds great, especially for Mexican salads or dipping quesadillas in. :)
Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection recently posted..Brown Butter Oatmeal Scotchies Muffins

8 Jenny@ The Wellness Journey March 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

This looks like a must try!! I think it will be on my list next week! Looks like you wouldn’t even need the dressing it’s that yummy! :-)
Jenny@ The Wellness Journey recently posted..WIAW {Zucchini Edition!}

9 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm

yum! can’t wait to try this!!

10 michelle kim March 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

OMG! I love how simple the dressing recipe is! I bet that would be good on any salad, too. Plus the color looks so nice!

11 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen March 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I am not typically a cilantro girl, but this salad and dressing look absolutely delicious!! Thank you for sharing :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Peanut Butter Recipe Roundup

12 Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake March 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Omg, making this ASAP
Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..Likes and Dislikes of My State

13 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit March 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Wow, that dressing sounds amazing! I am making it for sure. I had a massive “taco inspired” salad for lunch today with shredded Mexican chicken, I think I could eat Mexican food everyday. Thanks for the recipe!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..What Are You Waiting for Wednesday

14 Brooke @ Running In Heels March 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm

This looks awesome!! I think I found a new lunch staple!!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Spring Break Nostalgia

15 Theresa March 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm

That dressing sounds amazing! I love Taco Salad, I usually just make a red wine vinegar dressing, but this sounds way better! I just pinned the recipe, so I’ll be trying it very soon! Thank you!

16 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I adore taco salads, but I’m especially impressed with that dressing! Sounds delicious.

17 Ashley March 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Mmmm these sound aweeeesome!

18 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 27, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I love taco salads. i’m not sure I could do the dressing though but it definitely looks delicious!

19 Gracie March 27, 2013 at 5:52 pm

uh YUM. Mexican is my favorite cuisine…but not exactly the healthiest…so this is something I would definitely make. The dressing looks amazing.
Gracie recently posted..my {be me} plan.

20 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

That dressing sounds awesome! I am always looking for new homemade dressing recipes. Thanks for sharing :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..What Vegans Eat: Day 2

21 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes March 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm

That looks amazing!!! Taco salad is a regular weeknight meal in our house! I’ll have to try that dressing!
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..Quest Bar Natural Protein Bar Review

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

This salad sounds SO good, Courtney! I love the idea of the creamy cilantro lime dressing … cilantro is one of my favorite things ever!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina

23 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 27, 2013 at 8:03 pm

The dressing intrigues me the most. I love the green! This salad looks fantastic, especially the cheese :)

24 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 27, 2013 at 9:16 pm

This looks amazing! We just had fajitas for dinner, but I think our next Mexican themed dinner will have to feature this gem! Thanks for sharing!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..4 Ingredient Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

25 Becky March 27, 2013 at 11:53 pm

This looks so good!! I definitely want to try it! Did you come up with this recipe yourself?
Becky recently posted..Sprints and a Sugar Detox Challenge

26 Courtney March 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

I got some inspiration from a random cookbook that my mom let me borrow :)

27 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 28, 2013 at 1:00 am

I love cilantro and lime, probably one of the best combos of all time. I thought your dressing was made with avocado at first but then realized it was just the cilantro that made it green. Either way, it sounds great!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..White Bean, Red Pepper and Tomato Soup with Ricotta Dumplings

28 Katie March 28, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh this just looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it.. Yum!
Katie recently posted..Eat Me!

29 Amanda March 28, 2013 at 9:22 am

looove taco salads! we have them at least twice a month – but never with that dressing!! will definitely be making it the next time we have taco salads!! looks super easy
Amanda recently posted..Me Likey ERGE Footwear

30 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m definitely making this dressing next time we do Mexican at home!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW recent eats

31 Leigha March 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm

That dressing… happening soon! Looks so good! I looove taco salad. I like to use ground turkey!
Leigha recently posted..WIAW {Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo}

32 bek @ Crave March 29, 2013 at 2:16 am

I love taco salads!
bek @ Crave recently posted..Good Friday: A Sign That’s It’s Good To Relax

33 Paula April 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Sounds wonderful! I am going to make it tomorrow… Only I am marinating chicken overnight in cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and garlic and will grill it when I get home. I will use the chicken on the salad instead of the beef. Do you think the dressing will be good with light sour cream and yogurt?

34 Courtney April 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’m sure it will!

35 Monique May 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Made taco salads last night with my creamy cilantro dressing and it was absolutely delicious!!! However mine was not quite as green as yours… more on the whiter side? This dressing will for sure be a staple for taco night!

36 Rozella June 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also
make comment due to this sensible article.
Rozella recently posted..Rozella

37 frontier high speed internet July 5, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thank you for every other wonderful post. Where else may
anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect manner of writing?
I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.
frontier high speed internet recently posted..frontier high speed internet

38 Erica July 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am
impressed! Extremely useful information specially the last part :
) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.
Erica recently posted..Erica

39 Carol January 2, 2014 at 8:49 pm

11/2 lime extra garlic powder etc.