Food Truck Festival Fun

Wow…talk about an absolutely gorgeous weekend. Unfortunately, I think the nicer the weather, the quicker it seems to go by, don’t you think? Luckily, we managed to get lots accomplished and still had plenty of time for fun…like Saturday when we spent the afternoon at the Food Truck Festival!

IMG_2064

The festival started at 12pm, and although we still got there before 1pm, it was already ridiculously packed. Apparently lots of people were excited about food trucks like I was?!

We hit up the festival with our good pals Joe & Kate, so of course once we got there, the boys needed to hit up the beer truck. I had to laugh when the guys at the gate said they needed to ID me and give me a bracelet thingy…all of the ladies who were selling the tickets got a good laugh out of it too. I mean, hey, you never know I suppose…but I stuck with a nice, big, fresh-squeezed lemonade instead.

IMG_2057

Perfect for a warm, sunny day.

So between the four of us, we all agreed that we actually executed the festival quite well. None of us wanted to leave stuffed, but we all wanted to try a bunch of things. So we decided to tackle the day by diving up and into pairs and waiting in the various lines…because these lines were LONG.

The first truck Jay and I waited in line for was Pies on Wheels.

IMG_2056

Between the four of us, we shared two of their wood-fired pizzas, which were pretty great.

IMG_2058

My favorite was the one with pesto…soooo good.

IMG_2059

While Jay and I got the pizzas, our pals waited in a separate line and met up with us afterward.

IMG_2061

They picked up a philly cheesesteak for us to share. I tried a couple of bites and it was good…but I honestly think Sarah’s were better. 😉

IMG_2060

Our next stop was going to be Slidin’ Dirty, which I had heard amazing things about, but their line was just too crazy long. I mean, we’re talking probably at least an hour wait…it wrapped around almost the whole place. Lucky for me, word on the street is that it actually comes in to the complex that I work in, so hopefully that’s actually the case!

So rather than wait for the other truck, we waited in a slightly less crowded line for The Brown Bag.

IMG_2066

IMG_2065

I decided I wanted to go here after hearing someone talk about a burger with a donut…say whaaaaat?!?!

So I don’t remember which one it was, but I think it was called their South Troy Burger*, which is a cheeseburger with bacon and peanut butter…served on a glazed donut.

*Edited to change: it was not the 4th Street Burger…it was the South Troy Burger.

IMG_2067

I know…talk about heart attack city, right?

IMG_2076

That was definitely one of those items that I’d never order for myself, but since we were all sharing it was the perfect opportunity. I tried a bite, but honestly, it wasn’t for me. I was not into it at all.

I would have rather just had the glazed donut instead. Winking smile

We also got a regular cheeseburger from there which was delicious, so I had a few more bites of that one instead.

The festival was slated to go until about 7pm, but by about midway through, we were getting word that a bunch of the trucks were running out of food. So rather than wait in a line only to find out there wasn’t much of anything left, we decided to make one last stop at the Kona Ice food truck.

IMG_2069

Make your own ice slushy thingies? Sign. Me. UP.

IMG_2070

I went with a mix of pina colada, strawberry, and watermelon…and well, let’s just say that I did not skimp out on my juice. Ooops.

IMG_2071

After we got our sugar-laden shaved ice, we decided to grab a seat in the other area of the park and listen to some of the live music that was happening.

IMG_2072

We probably stayed for another 20 minutes or so, and then decided to call it a day.

IMG_2073

It was an absolutely perfect way to spend a beautiful Saturday if you ask me!

IMG_2075

The rest of the weekend was just as nice…I had a baby shower to go to on Sunday, we did a little more work in the nursery, did a few things around the house, and grilled for dinner. Unfortunately, I did not partake in any sort of Cinco de Mayo goodies, which was a super bummer. I guess I’ll just have to make up for it sometime during the week!

How was everyone else’s weekend? Did anyone partake in any Cinco de Mayo festivities?

Comments

Fun! I love food trucks. We only have a few in my city, but they are meeting up every Friday for lunch so I am excited for that. I have been to one food truck festival before but sadly many trucks ran out of food by the time we got there!
    I forgot about Cinco de Mayo! I could have had a big ol’ (virgin) Margarita!

2. Kathryn says

My city has a food truck festival every so often, I really need to go! I keep meaning to, but something always comes up, lol. I have to laugh at them carding and wrist-banding you. When I was like 7 months pregnant, I accompanied my husband to a bar with some friends. I ordered a soda, and the waitress tried to offer me their “special” drink, shots or something like that. I just looked down at my belly and laughed. It took her a second before she realized what she had said and why I thought it was funny.

How fun to have so many opportunities to try different foods AND you were able to enjoy the beautiful sunshine. Sounds like the perfect day.
    I had a weekend full of celebrating birthdays and mother’s day! It was fabulous.

Looks like such a fun time. Glad you guys enjoyed it!
    And it’s always great to get the chance to try out a bunch of different foods!
    Makes it better to go with friends so you can all share everything too.
    Lisa recently posted..Simple De Mayo

I’m so jealous that you got to experience that! That 4th Street Burger looks absolutely ridiculous. I know what you mean when you say you wouldn’t order it for yourself, but got to sample since sharing gives you the perfect opportunity! I always do that with the boy friend.

Looks like a wonderful day!

So excited to hear how the Food Festival went. Here in Austin we have a similar event, it’s called Gypsy Picnic. They have tons of food vendors in trucks like that and depending on how good the food is the lines can be crazy long. Cant wait to go again so I can show you what ours is like. Looks like you had a good time.

The food truck festival looked like so much fun! I feel bad for the people who have to work in the wood fired pizza truck though, talk about hot! That burger sounds like it would be gross, I would rather have the donut by itself too, bleh. We had great weather too this weekend and it went by WAY to fast. :)
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Vino de Mayo + Noonday Style

We had a girls margarita night and ended up with a pinata somewhere in there… About your donut burger, do you feel like there is a whole collection of restaurants making bank by putting together the most ridiculous food items? Like, they food isn’t even good but is so off the wall that people wait in line to try it? I saw a place here the other day that has a pb&j cheeseburger – kind of similar to what you tried minus the donut aspect. Yuck! And yet, people are dying to try it because “if it’s on the menu it must be good right?”
    Kim @ The Family Practice Blog recently posted..The Oatmeal Incident

I wish they had these kind of events near my house! We’re so boring around here lol. I couldn’t imagine what a donut and cheeseburger would taste like… ew. lol some things aren’t meant to be mixed! Have a great Monday!
    Lauren recently posted..Lets Get Factual.

The festival seemed like so much fun! I love food trucks, and I’ll take any opportunity I can to check a good one out. I agree though, the lines tend to be so long!

I didn’t do anything crazy for Cinco de Mayo. My family got a puppy instead. 😀
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..MIMM #3

We went also, but weren’t super impressed. Great idea, but poorly executed. We were wondering if there would have been a better location for it? Albany wouldn’t let them come because some of the trucks weren’t properly permitted, but it could have been put together better.

This weekend we went there, ditched it for Dante’s and then Sunday my husband ran the literacy run and we relaxed at a friends house in her back yard. No Mexican theme, just relaxing.
    BakingSuit recently posted..Coming soon to a blog post near you!

12. Rachel says

I’m from Philly, and that is NOT a Philly cheese steak 😉 No wonder you didn’t like it.

There are no peppers in a Philly steak, just Wiz and fried onions.

Wiz wit (onions), or wiz witout (onions) 😉

13. Jen N. says

The cafe in our building just closed, so we’ve been enjoying the food trucks coming to us. Slidin’ Dirty is awesome and there is usually a 1/2 hour wait to order & get your food. Wandering Dago is coming this week and we also got to try Gwenies last Friday. I’m not sure my diet or my budget can handle all this good food! :)

We had a mini food festival here in the town this weekend too! I was working through it but it great fun! So incredibly busy we ran out of food! I had to check out the Slidin’Dirty menu….avocado fries!!! I need them in my life!
    Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Tempeh me!

15. Naomi says

Sounds like a great Saturday! We actually made doughnut burgers when I went on vacation with my fiance’s family last summer. It was interesting and I’m glad I could try it, but I’m with you. Just give me the doughnut! Haha. The guys all really enjoyed them though.

I went down to the Food Truck Festival around 3 and was amazed at how long the lines were! I was really hoping to check out Slidin Dirty because I loved their mac and cheese at the Mac and Cheese bowl this winter, but the line was ridiculous. Hopefully I’ll be able to catch them another time. Next year I’ll have to plan accordingly and go early. My friends and I ended up walking down to the Ruck for wing burgers :)

Trackbacks