Lots of Color and Variety

by Courtney on May 14, 2013

Hello! Good morning! How’s everyone doing this morning?

Thank goodness, I’m feeling much more like myself today. I got a better night’s sleep, which helped a ton. Perhaps we’ll just call yesterday a moody, hormonal day?

So even though I wasn’t feeling much like myself, I did still manage to eat some pretty delicious meals…and wouldn’t ya know, I actually took some photos of them all. How ’bout that?!

I kept things simple and easy for breakfast, which included a vanilla Chobani, strawberries, blueberries (on sale at Price Chopper for only $1.50 a container this weekend!), and a mix of Honey Nut Cheerios and Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

I was so excited about blueberries finally being on sale. I feel like I haven’t bought them in forever because they’ve just been too darn expensive. Let’s hope the trend sticks for a while.

For lunch, I was more than ready to dig in to the sweet chicken salad that I had made for myself on Sunday night. I mixed up my usuals – can of chicken, little mayo & Dijon mustard, celery, carrots, onion, cucumber, dried cranberries, and grapes – and served it on top of a big ol’ bed of spinach.

Of course, since I always eat the base of my salads first and save all of the toppings for the end, I made sure to pack up some Wheat Thins so I could scoop up the rest of the chicken salad. SO good!

A few hours later I started getting hungry, but since I wasn’t (and still am not) in the mood for peanut butter (my usual snack), I wasn’t quite sure what to have. I started rummaging around in my desk and came across this bag of Smartfood Selects hummus popped chips that I had bought from our kitchen a month or two ago.

Okay, have you guys ever tried these?!?! They were seriously delicious. I’m definitely grabbing them from the company kitchen again ASAP.

Shortly after I got home from work, I decided to start putting together dinner. Jay was out working in the yard, so I figured I’d keep things simple…and colorful!

We had a couple of leftover chicken sausages from my parents’ house on Sunday, so I reheated those and sauteed some peppers and onions to go along with them (I also topped mine with some shredded Colby Jack cheese because I love me some cheese these days).

I also cooked up a couple of small sweet potatoes (in the microwave first, then the toaster oven, to get nice and crispy on the outside, of course!) and put together some fresh veggies to dip in ranch dressing (also a favorite these days).

For having just thrown this together quickly, I was super pleased with how everything turned out. Lots of color, flavors, and variety.

A couple of hours later, the two of us settled in for the evening to watch HIMYM (ahhhh, we see the mom!!) and The Voice, while enjoying a couple of small dishes of Edy’s Light caramel swirl ice cream. <– Totally one of our favorites. Later this morning, I have another prenatal appointment, which I think is just a quick one, but I honestly don’t remember! Speaking of which…

*The Baby Tooth page was updated this morning!!

Gotta jet, my friends. Have a great Tuesday! :)

1 Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

Your dinner looks perfect! I love all the colors. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite. How can you not love HIMYM :)
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..gardens and tacos

2 Claire @ Flake and Cake May 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

I always eat leaves first too – then dig into the ‘meat’ of the salad bowl last :). It does mean it sometimes gets cold but I still can’t bring myself to change my ways!
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..MIMM: A conference, a coffee and a funeral

3 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

What a delicious looking dinner for throwing it together at the last minute. I think sautéed peppers and onions taste good on just about anything. Tonight’s Taco Tuesday, so I’m planning on making some of that myself.
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Winery Kind of Weekend

4 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

mmm I love chicken sausages..looks like a delicious dinner!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Easy Greek Chicken Skillet

5 Sara May 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you’re at 30 weeks already!! I can’t believe how close you’re getting – I’m so excited for you!! :)

6 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 14, 2013 at 9:25 am

Your chicken salad looks wonderful. I love adding craisins to make it a little sweet when I make it. Hope all goes well at your doctor’s appt!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What’s with massaging kale?

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 14, 2013 at 9:32 am

I can’t get over how anti-climatic HIMYM was! I really wish they would’ve just finished it up this season, and not made plans to come back next year. I’ve been so disappointed with it lately!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s a Killer!

8 Lisa May 14, 2013 at 9:33 am

Oh yum, all the colors look amazing. I’m always pretty happy if my meals end up looking colorful.
Haha, I totally eat my salads the same way!
Oh man and HIMYM!!!! I was pretty excited about that episode!
Lisa recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately

9 Ashlee@HisnHers May 14, 2013 at 9:37 am

I LOVE hummus chips! Simply 7 makes a great one too. They’re tasty!

10 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance May 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

I recently tried out Smartfood Selects popcorn. Remember the old white cheddar Smartfood? This is waaaaaay better. Delicious! I loved the cinnamon flavor.
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Get Fhit with Fhitting Room

11 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

I am LOVING the fact that some of my favorite fruits are finally in season and becoming more affordable to buy. Spending 2.50 on berries is so much better than 4.00!!

Those hummus chips look amaaazing. I need to try those ASAP!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegan Bean and Sausage Cassoulet

12 Brittany @ Balance and Bananas May 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

Oh my gosh, you look terrific! You must be so excited for Baby Tooth :)
Sweet potatoes are my favorite, we had them for dinner last night as well! With some chicken teriyaki and caesar salad too :) I need to try those hummus chips!!
Brittany @ Balance and Bananas recently posted..The Start of Something New…

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

I’ve impatiently been waiting for blueberries to go on sale around here, but they’re still pretty pricey. I hope that changes soon! I love them in everything!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..What’s Beautiful to You?

14 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty May 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

I remember my home ec teacher in high school would always say, “you eat with your eyes” and I totally find this true especially when it comes to colorful plates like your dinner plate. It makes you want to dive right in because it’s so beautiful. And it’s healthy to boot! Nice job! Nummy!

15 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 14, 2013 at 9:56 am

$1.50 for blueberries??! That IS a good deal. One of the best parts about summer is all the fruit finally goes on sale. I passed up on cherries these week because they were crazy at $6 a bag!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Protein Powder vs. Real Food

16 Becky @TheSavedRunner May 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

I have never had hummus chips, but I know I would love them! I need to try to find me some of those!

I never thought to put my sweet potato in a toaster oven after microwaving it. I don’t have a toaster oven right now, but I am hoping to get one as a wedding gift, and if I do, I will definitely try putting my sweet potato in there!

17 Lindsey May 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

HIMYM was so great! I am so happy to finally see the “Mom”, but she was not at all like I pictured her!

18 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns May 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

I always do the same! I like to leave the majority of my toppings for last, just taste better :) Mmmm ice cream has been sounding good lately.
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Have You Heard!?

19 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit May 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

Looks like some fab eats from the day! I love colorful days like that, makes eating so much more “fun”! Happy Tuesday :)
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Monday Unplugged…

20 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

My sister always brings home those hummus chips from school. I want to find out where to buy them–they’re SO good!
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..The Versatile Blogger Award

21 Sara @ fitcupcaker May 14, 2013 at 10:28 am

caramel swirl ice cream yum! I have been in love with cookies and ice cream lately, whats wrong with me!!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Nikki’s Coconut Butter & Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookie

22 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

nothing at all! cookies and ice cream is fantastic :)

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

Ahh I can’t wait until fresh blueberries come into season around here! They made a strange appearance in the middle of January before vanishing again, and they need to get their little blue butts back on shelves because the frozen kind just don’t compare!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... i cheated on cereal .

24 Emily @The Good Era May 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

That was a super colorful day of food! I’ll have to look for those hummus chips, they sound great.
Emily @The Good Era recently posted..Take Time Tuesday-Mom & Sister

25 Christine@ Apple of My Eye May 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

All of your eats look so good! I especially like your technique for making your sweet potatoes. My family does that too and it’s such a time saver!

26 Jessica Z May 14, 2013 at 11:08 am

I am not a mom yet, so I am just wondering if you do anything special to keep stretch marks away.

27 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I think a good part of it is genetics, but I still do what I can! Every morning after I shower I use baby oil, and when I go to bed at night I slather on Vitamin E lotion and aloe lotion on top of that.

28 Ellie@Fit for the soul May 14, 2013 at 11:20 am

I want your salad!!! It looks so delish and refreshing. :D
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Kat: The Person Behind the Blog

29 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

Glad you’re feeling better today! I MUST try making that chicken salad! It sounds soooo good! The popped chips sound good too! I wonder if they sell them here in NJ?
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Brownies Made with Black Beans!?!

30 Annette@FitnessPerks May 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yesssss. those chips are so so good! I had them at a conference last year, and couldn’t stop raving about them!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..18 Weeks {Pregnancy Weight Gain}

31 Lauren May 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love the voice! Who are you rooting for this season?
Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.

32 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Tough call…there’s so many good ones so far! I’d say my favorites right now are Sasha, Amber, and definitely Danielle. I cannot believe she’s only 16 with that voice?!? It’s incredible!

33 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up May 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I need a toaster oven because I love the idea of crisping up my sweet potato but the over takes so darn long, not to mention heats up the house so quickly!!

I haven’t seen those chips before but will be on the look out now!!

34 Shel@PeachyPalate May 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Glad you’re feeling more like your good self today! Sweet potatoes in the microwave is the way to go….having to wait an hour for them to cook in the oven is always an inconvenience! :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Life changing tortillas!

35 Allison May 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm

OMG OMG OMG HIMYM! Such a good episode. But now we have to wait so long for the next season… :( my theory is that that lady they showed is the surrogate and Ted really married Robin and they use her because she can’t have children.
Allison recently posted..My own fitness rules.

36 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm

WOAH, good plot twist!!!

37 Brooke @ Running In Heels May 14, 2013 at 3:35 pm

All of your food always looks so great!! I’m glad you’re feeling better today!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..My Feelings About Finals In A Few Dramatic GIFs

38 Danica @ It's Progression May 14, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I was so excited that they finally revealed the mom on HIMYM last night! It was a little anti-climatic still, but the show just has to get better now that she’s there.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Fitness: what it IS and what it’s NOT

39 Leigha May 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I do the same thing with salads, lol! You had a great day of eats! ;)
Leigha recently posted..Run for Boston