Labor Day Weekend Happenings

by Courtney on September 3, 2013

Hey, good morning! How was everyone’s weekend? We all enjoyed a nice, long Labor Day weekend around here. Jay and I both had a few errands to run on Saturday morning, so we got up and moving and made our way out. I took the little man with me, and while we were out we ended up making an impromptu stop at the Farmers Market.

Lucas slept pretty much the whole time, and with the way the humidity was, I probably could have done the same. Whew, talk about steamy! I only walked around for about 20-30 minutes, and I’d say it was nice to get some fresh air, but the air felt way more heavy than fresh. Thank goodness the humidity is leaving soon! Even still, it was nice to get out and about.

Saturday afternoon, our family of three attempted a trip to the mall which was somewhat of an ordeal. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, it started downpouring. It was literally so bad that we sat in the car for a good 20 minutes before even attempting to get out, but Lucas was getting antsy so we made a run for it. Apparently, Lucas wasn’t really feelin’ the mall trip because he was not a very happy camper for most of it…BUT, we did finally get Jay his birthday present (a pair of Oakley sunglasses) so at least our trip was somewhat successful. Winking smile

By the time we got home, we had dinner ready and waiting for us thanks to the crockpot and the bread machine. Gosh, I love those two contraptions. So I put the little man down for a quick nap and the two of us enjoyed our meal.

Okay, seriously. This recipe? Stuffed Pepper Soup. Ohmygawwwwd. Jay and I are obsessed with it. It tastes juuuust like stuffed peppers but without all the hassle. I had both my mom and one of Jay’s coworkers recommend the recipe, so I don’t know where it came from, but I will be sharing with you guys tomorrow. Trust me, you’ll want to make it!

Sunday was another busy day, but no photos to share. I wound up making my Heath Bar Crunch Cookie Bars (okay, no, Jay made them while I shouted directions from the living room while feeding Lucas) and we brought them up to Saratoga for a Labor Day party. The party was great and we all had fun just hanging out by the lake.

Yesterday got started at around 8am with a wakeup call from Lucas (not bad, right?) so we all enjoyed a little bit of a lazy morning. Jay hung out with the Codester while I took care of my smiley guy.

Yes, look at that smile! He started his day with tons of funny faces (he is always sticking his tongue out) and while we were hanging out on his play mat, amidst our chatter back and forth, he looked right up at me and gave me the biggest, most adorable smile. Ahhh, my heart melted! And then he gave me even more.

I just love him. Smile

So yesterday also wound up starting off fairly productive. So much so that I whipped up a batch of baked egg cups with ham, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese…

Along with a batch of baked oatmeal which turned out soooooo good.

Recipe for this ALSO headed your way soon (maybe this afternoon if I get the chance).

So I was thrilled to not only be able to get both of those recipes done AND a workout in yesterday (some walking intervals + upper body weights) while Lucas slept…

But, unfortunately, things sort of went downhill after he woke up. I’m not sure if it is/was another growth spurt or a “Wonder Week” (he’s a little over 5 weeks and I’ve been reading that it’s fairly common) but my peanut was just not a happy camper. The majority of the late afternoon and evening consisted of him wanting to eat about every 90 minutes, and if he wasn’t eating he was not happy. Fussy, crying, constantly needing to be held, rocked, or bounced.

Jay and I thought we were gonna be in for a long night, but luckily, he went to bed around 9pm and didn’t wake up until almost 3am, which was amazing. He quickly ate, went back to sleep, woke up around 7am this morning, ate again, and is now currently back to sleep for what will probably be another 20 minutes or so.

I love when he goes back down for that extra hour and a half or so because it gives me time to actually get stuff done, like shower (sometimes, not yet today), write a blog post (hello!), and eat a real breakfast.

Baked oatmeal, for the win.

Alright, I’m off…catch you cool cats soon with a couple recipes! Winking smile

1 Claire @ Health Nut Claire September 3, 2013 at 9:00 am

That soup looks sooo good! And I need a bread machine!
Claire @ Health Nut Claire recently posted..Happy Labor Day + Cocozia

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 3, 2013 at 9:07 am

I definitely want that recipe! I am all about the slow-cooker!!

Sorry the mall trip didn’t work out. Addie did something similar during one of our mall trips. It happens. But I give you credit for at least trying!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ways to Save Money on Baby Stuff

3 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes September 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

Lucas has the best smile! I can’t believe you have time to try so many good recipes! We ate grilled cheese for my son’s first 6 months haha. Enjoy your day!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..The BEST dinner ever on earth period.

4 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

Lucas is so precious! I can’t wait for the baked oatmeal recipe!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Weekend Snapshots + Meals for the Week

5 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

Sounds like a great weekend! Bummer the trip to the ball didn’t go as smoothly as planned!

I can’t wait for the soup and oatmeal recipe! :-) Love the pic of Lucas with his tongue sticking out. So cute!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..I Love Sunshine

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 3, 2013 at 9:25 am

I can’t wait for the soup recipe! It looks delicious. I am a fan of crockpot recipes.

Lucas is too cute! I love that picture of him smiling at you! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Labor Day Weekend Recap!…

7 Ashley @ Life and Fitness September 3, 2013 at 9:28 am

Ahhh those funny faces are adorable! I can’t wait to hear about the stuffed pepper recipe. I love having them but never make them in the summer since its so hot with the oven on.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Labor Day Crisis Averted

8 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life September 3, 2013 at 9:29 am

Looks like you had a great Labor Day weekend! I need to hit up some farmer’s markets before they start to disappear until next year!

Can’t wait for the oatmeal recipe and especially the stuffed peppers soup recipe! I love stuffed peppers, but I agree with you that it’s a ton of work! Not usually weekday friendly if you know what I mean! :)

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 3, 2013 at 9:32 am

Eager to see this soup recipe! Once we start getting into fall weather, all I want is soup, stew and chili.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk: September.

10 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves September 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

Sounds like a lovely, productive weekend! Lucas is just gettin’ cuter and cuter.
I’m so excited about that soup recipe–it looks delicious! Hope you all have a great week!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..It’s All About Perspective + Ab Workout

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

Too funny…I almost titled my post this morning the SAME exact thing. Great minds think alike, eh? ;)

Sorry I didn’t get your text ’til late, but a growth spurt/Wonder Week wouldn’t surprise me. Like I said, they go through several of them within the first few months. Fortunately they only last a few days, but I know they seem like they last forever! Hang in there! Another thing is maybe gas? Did you eat anything different than you normally do? I know if I eat a lot of dairy or spicy foods it affects Hunter, and he gets antsy and fussy. Just a thought. Hang in there! :) I hope today is better!

xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..I’m Sad Everyone Is Leaving Me

12 Kim @ BusyBod September 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

Lucas is too cute to handle! The humidity was killer here too this weekend, I hope it’s on it’s way out…
Kim @ BusyBod recently posted..Three things (including a new workout!)

13 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne September 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

That soup and bread looks super good!! I miss having homemade bread. It always smells way too good! Aw :) Lucas is adorable in those pictures.
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Passion Is The Best Flavor

14 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 3, 2013 at 10:14 am

Oh little Lucas is so adorable! His smiles just melt the heart! So cute! You guys seem to really be getting into the whole parent groove thing! :)

15 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

That soup and that baked oatmeal look delicious! Can’t wait for the recipes.
Lucas smiling is just the cutest thing ever. And it’s good to see Cody’s enjoying some love too.
Good to see you had a nice long weekend with your men!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Hiking Castle Rock Park + Lunch at Café Gratitude

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 3, 2013 at 10:35 am

I swear, it’s impossible to look at a picture of a smiling baby and not smile. Your guy is such a cutie :) And as much as I love oatmeal, I have to admit that I’m definitely looking forward to the stuffed pepper soup recipe just a little bit more (who am I?!) – it looks delicious! Especially now that things are starting to cool down a little…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... currently – september .

17 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

I SO cannot wait for that soup recipe!! That is SO me!! It sounds delicious.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Enchilada Cauliflower “Rice”

18 Lauren @ LaMaLu Boutique September 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

Ooooh that looks great! Can’t wait for the recipe!

19 Emily @ The Good Era September 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

Looks like you had a great labor day weekend!!

Can’t wait for these recipes. I have a stuffed pepper soup I make as well that is one of my FAVORITES this time of year. Really, you can’t beat anything you can throw in a crock pot ;)
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..When You Love A Woman

20 Carson September 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

That soup looks AMAZING! Will be on the lookout for the recipe… perfect for fall!
Carson recently posted..Decorating the new house

21 Lauren September 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

You are amazing to be able to juggle all of this at once! First time mommys and daddys have it rough, but you guys seem to be making the best of it! The baked oatmeal looks SO good. It looks like there is chunks of fruit (apple, maybe) which is right up my alley!

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 3, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love the little tongue sticking out. That is too cute!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I Need Your Help!

23 Jenny September 3, 2013 at 11:24 am

You go Mama!!! You’re a natural! :)

I’m am eagerly awaiting BOTH recipes!! Baked oatmeal feels like fall to me. I’m so ready for fall.
Jenny recently posted..Motivation Monday {A sign of strength is admitting you’re weak}

24 Annette@FitnessPerks September 3, 2013 at 11:36 am

I love the bread machine too!! Such a great contraption :)

25 Emily @ Life on Food September 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I cannot wait for the soup recipe!

26 Christine@ Apple of My Eye September 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Can’t wait to see the recipe! And awwww WHAT A CUTIE! He already has so much character and I love the tongue pictures haha :D

27 Nicole September 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Sounds like quite the eventful weekend! You got a lot done!! That crockpot soup looks delish!!

28 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl September 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Sweetest smile ever!!!! I cannot wait for the recipe for the soup…yummy!!!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..Labor Day in Ann Arbor!

29 Shel@PeachyPalate September 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Good call on the baked oatmeal! And making the most of the time saving kitchen appliances! You’ll be fed for the week! :)

30 annie @the annie hall September 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I love that picture of Lucas cheesing, so cute!!

31 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm

OMG! That soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to try that when you post the recipe! Looks like you had an amazing and relaxing labor day :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..6 Mile Tempo Run

32 Stacey M. September 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I’m looking forward to both recipes as well … the soup looks absolutely delicious and I LOVE the fact that you can make it in the slow cooker. Delicious and time-saving? I’m in!
I’m also curious as to how you make those egg cups … I would love to make something similar for myself. I bet they’re great on the go or even for a lazy Sunday morning at home.
Glad to hear you had a nice weekend with your family. Lucas is definitely a cutie.

33 Courtney September 3, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Actually, the egg cups were super easy! I tried following a recipe online but nothing was really standing out to me, so here’s what I did…

Chopped up veggies/cheese/ham and evenly spaced them out into muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray.
In a big bowl, I whisked up some eggs (I don’t even remember how many I did – I think I did 5 eggs and 4 whites?) with a little milk, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Put about 1/4 cup of eggs in each muffin tin.
Baked at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Easy peasy! :)

34 Stacey M. September 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

Thanks Courtney, I’ll have to give that recipe a try this weekend. I’ve also seen a bunch of different recipes online for these, but like you, I haven’t found one that I really liked. Yours sound pretty appealing though. Thanks again!

35 Kristen September 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

It must be stuffed pepper season! But did you know you don’t have to cook the beef before stuffing the peppers??? If you cut out that step, it’s real simple, especially with steamed rice in the microwave, too. I even cut the peppers in half to make it easier to clean and just put the mixture (whatever else you like to add in) on top. Super easy, too! There is something to be said for soup, though :-)

36 Sarah Smith September 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm

OMG- that little boy of yours is just SO precious!! Love the pictures!

37 Kelly @ Femme Fitale September 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Haha! I had to laugh with your “shouting directions from the living room” comment. Story of our lives around here for the first couple months, too! I also understand how amazing it is just to have an extra hour for yourself. You seem like you are handling motherhood so well, Courtney!!! :) You should be so proud of yourself!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..G’Day, Mate!

38 Leigha @ Minougirl September 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Sooo excited for these recipes!!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Shopping and Baseball and Car Rides, Oh My!

39 Maria@TheBrooklynFig September 3, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Oh my gosh the picture with his tongue sticking out is just too cute!
This post is seriously making me consider getting a crockpot and a bread machine- how convenient. I just went back to teaching after the summer off so cooking dinner always gets a bit tougher. These items will help, I’m sure!
Maria@TheBrooklynFig recently posted..Fig Success

40 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Looking forward to the recipe! And the baked oatmeal looks great, too! That’s one of my favorite breakfasts!

Love the smiley Lucas pics!!!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My Perpetual To Do List

41 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! September 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Sounds like a busy and fun weekend! Lucas is just too cute for words. I hope week 6 goes a little smoother for you guys! Hang in there.
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Energy Bits Review

42 Erica September 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Can’t wait for that stuffed pepper soup recipe – looks awesome!

And Lucas is just the cutest!!

43 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Awww that little face!! Love the smiles and tongue sticking out – so precious!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..September Goals

44 Heather H September 4, 2013 at 12:29 am

Can’t wait for the soup recipe! Where did you get the H coasters?? I love them!!

45 Nala September 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Awww Lucas is so adorable! I’m sad to hear he wasn’t feeling himself – hopefully he’ll get better as the weeks go by. It likes y’all had a great labor day weekend and the food looks great! Can’t wait for the baked oatmeal recipe – I love that stuff =D

46 Danica @ It's Progression September 4, 2013 at 10:38 pm

What recipe do you use for your bread loaf?
(I just recently got an old bread machine from a family member but haven’t found a recipe for it that I like yet)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..wiaw: the last before a change?

47 Courtney September 5, 2013 at 8:54 am

It was actually a boxed mix but I usually just use the recipes that came with the machine in the manual :)