Labor Day Weekend Happenings

Hey, good morning! How was everyone’s weekend? We all enjoyed a nice, long Labor Day weekend around here. Jay and I both had a few errands to run on Saturday morning, so we got up and moving and made our way out. I took the little man with me, and while we were out we ended up making an impromptu stop at the Farmers Market.

Lucas slept pretty much the whole time, and with the way the humidity was, I probably could have done the same. Whew, talk about steamy! I only walked around for about 20-30 minutes, and I’d say it was nice to get some fresh air, but the air felt way more heavy than fresh. Thank goodness the humidity is leaving soon! Even still, it was nice to get out and about.

Saturday afternoon, our family of three attempted a trip to the mall which was somewhat of an ordeal. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, it started downpouring. It was literally so bad that we sat in the car for a good 20 minutes before even attempting to get out, but Lucas was getting antsy so we made a run for it. Apparently, Lucas wasn’t really feelin’ the mall trip because he was not a very happy camper for most of it…BUT, we did finally get Jay his birthday present (a pair of Oakley sunglasses) so at least our trip was somewhat successful. Winking smile

By the time we got home, we had dinner ready and waiting for us thanks to the crockpot and the bread machine. Gosh, I love those two contraptions. So I put the little man down for a quick nap and the two of us enjoyed our meal.

Okay, seriously. This recipe? Stuffed Pepper Soup. Ohmygawwwwd. Jay and I are obsessed with it. It tastes juuuust like stuffed peppers but without all the hassle. I had both my mom and one of Jay’s coworkers recommend the recipe, so I don’t know where it came from, but I will be sharing with you guys tomorrow. Trust me, you’ll want to make it!

Sunday was another busy day, but no photos to share. I wound up making my Heath Bar Crunch Cookie Bars (okay, no, Jay made them while I shouted directions from the living room while feeding Lucas) and we brought them up to Saratoga for a Labor Day party. The party was great and we all had fun just hanging out by the lake.

Yesterday got started at around 8am with a wakeup call from Lucas (not bad, right?) so we all enjoyed a little bit of a lazy morning. Jay hung out with the Codester while I took care of my smiley guy.

Yes, look at that smile! He started his day with tons of funny faces (he is always sticking his tongue out) and while we were hanging out on his play mat, amidst our chatter back and forth, he looked right up at me and gave me the biggest, most adorable smile. Ahhh, my heart melted! And then he gave me even more.

I just love him. Smile

So yesterday also wound up starting off fairly productive. So much so that I whipped up a batch of baked egg cups with ham, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese…

Along with a batch of baked oatmeal which turned out soooooo good.

Recipe for this ALSO headed your way soon (maybe this afternoon if I get the chance).

So I was thrilled to not only be able to get both of those recipes done AND a workout in yesterday (some walking intervals + upper body weights) while Lucas slept…

But, unfortunately, things sort of went downhill after he woke up. I’m not sure if it is/was another growth spurt or a “Wonder Week” (he’s a little over 5 weeks and I’ve been reading that it’s fairly common) but my peanut was just not a happy camper. The majority of the late afternoon and evening consisted of him wanting to eat about every 90 minutes, and if he wasn’t eating he was not happy. Fussy, crying, constantly needing to be held, rocked, or bounced.

Jay and I thought we were gonna be in for a long night, but luckily, he went to bed around 9pm and didn’t wake up until almost 3am, which was amazing. He quickly ate, went back to sleep, woke up around 7am this morning, ate again, and is now currently back to sleep for what will probably be another 20 minutes or so.

I love when he goes back down for that extra hour and a half or so because it gives me time to actually get stuff done, like shower (sometimes, not yet today), write a blog post (hello!), and eat a real breakfast.

Baked oatmeal, for the win.

Alright, I’m off…catch you cool cats soon with a couple recipes! Winking smile

Comments

Looks like you had a great Labor Day weekend! I need to hit up some farmer’s markets before they start to disappear until next year!

Can’t wait for the oatmeal recipe and especially the stuffed peppers soup recipe! I love stuffed peppers, but I agree with you that it’s a ton of work! Not usually weekday friendly if you know what I mean! :)

Too funny…I almost titled my post this morning the SAME exact thing. Great minds think alike, eh? 😉

Sorry I didn’t get your text ’til late, but a growth spurt/Wonder Week wouldn’t surprise me. Like I said, they go through several of them within the first few months. Fortunately they only last a few days, but I know they seem like they last forever! Hang in there! Another thing is maybe gas? Did you eat anything different than you normally do? I know if I eat a lot of dairy or spicy foods it affects Hunter, and he gets antsy and fussy. Just a thought. Hang in there! :) I hope today is better!

xoxo
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..I’m Sad Everyone Is Leaving Me

I swear, it’s impossible to look at a picture of a smiling baby and not smile. Your guy is such a cutie :) And as much as I love oatmeal, I have to admit that I’m definitely looking forward to the stuffed pepper soup recipe just a little bit more (who am I?!) – it looks delicious! Especially now that things are starting to cool down a little…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... currently – september .

You are amazing to be able to juggle all of this at once! First time mommys and daddys have it rough, but you guys seem to be making the best of it! The baked oatmeal looks SO good. It looks like there is chunks of fruit (apple, maybe) which is right up my alley!

5. Stacey M. says

I’m looking forward to both recipes as well … the soup looks absolutely delicious and I LOVE the fact that you can make it in the slow cooker. Delicious and time-saving? I’m in!
    I’m also curious as to how you make those egg cups … I would love to make something similar for myself. I bet they’re great on the go or even for a lazy Sunday morning at home.
    Glad to hear you had a nice weekend with your family. Lucas is definitely a cutie.

• Courtney says

Actually, the egg cups were super easy! I tried following a recipe online but nothing was really standing out to me, so here’s what I did…

Chopped up veggies/cheese/ham and evenly spaced them out into muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray.
      In a big bowl, I whisked up some eggs (I don’t even remember how many I did – I think I did 5 eggs and 4 whites?) with a little milk, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
      Put about 1/4 cup of eggs in each muffin tin.
      Baked at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Easy peasy! :)

• Stacey M. says

Thanks Courtney, I’ll have to give that recipe a try this weekend. I’ve also seen a bunch of different recipes online for these, but like you, I haven’t found one that I really liked. Yours sound pretty appealing though. Thanks again!

6. Kristen says

It must be stuffed pepper season! But did you know you don’t have to cook the beef before stuffing the peppers??? If you cut out that step, it’s real simple, especially with steamed rice in the microwave, too. I even cut the peppers in half to make it easier to clean and just put the mixture (whatever else you like to add in) on top. Super easy, too! There is something to be said for soup, though :-)

Haha! I had to laugh with your “shouting directions from the living room” comment. Story of our lives around here for the first couple months, too! I also understand how amazing it is just to have an extra hour for yourself. You seem like you are handling motherhood so well, Courtney!!! :) You should be so proud of yourself!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..G’Day, Mate!

Oh my gosh the picture with his tongue sticking out is just too cute!
    This post is seriously making me consider getting a crockpot and a bread machine- how convenient. I just went back to teaching after the summer off so cooking dinner always gets a bit tougher. These items will help, I’m sure!
    Maria@TheBrooklynFig recently posted..Fig Success

9. Nala says

Awww Lucas is so adorable! I’m sad to hear he wasn’t feeling himself – hopefully he’ll get better as the weeks go by. It likes y’all had a great labor day weekend and the food looks great! Can’t wait for the baked oatmeal recipe – I love that stuff =D

Trackbacks