Thanksgiving 2013

by Courtney on December 2, 2013

Hey guys, welcome back! Did you all have a fantastic weekend? The fact that we’re already into December sort of boggles my mind, but here we are. Just crazy. I’m thinking I may be partaking in a little Cyber Monday shopping today…whaddya think? Anyone else?

FYI: Reebok is having 30% off everything on www.shop.reebok.com (including Reebok CrossFit gear) for Cyber Monday!

So Thanksgiving. Talk about a fabulous day. I’ve always been a fan of the holiday – I mean, it’s centered around food and family, how could you not? – but it’s never been one of those ones that’s like, omgilovethisdaysooooomuch. Of course it’s always nice to spend time with family and eat great food, and I love the idea of giving thanks for the things we’re grateful for, but this year I think it meant just a bit more to me. I’ve been blessed with so much to be thankful for this year, including my little family.

Typically, we go to my parents’ house for dinner and then Jay’s aunt’s house for dessert (except for the year I hosted!), but plans changed a bit this year so we headed over to my in-laws house for breakfast. I know I mentioned it before, but I was definitely nervous about having Lucas out all day. If he doesn’t get his naps, he’s a bear, so tried to time things accordingly.

First, we made sure he was up at his usual time (he woke up around 6:45) so once he was up, ate, and played, we put him down for his morning nap and then figured we’d leave once he was up. He slept for about an hour (not terrible), so I fed him once again and we were out the door. Thankfully, he wound up falling asleep again about two minutes before we got to my in-laws’ house, so we kept him in his car seat and let him nap while we ate breakfast.

On the menu? A delicious sausage and egg bake, fresh cooked bacon, cantaloupe…

IMG_5604IMG_5602

…and then I also made and brought a batch of Kristen’s No Yeast Required Cinnamon Rolls. These are most definitely a favorite of ours…omg soooo good.

Lucas wound up napping just shy of two hours(!!) so by the time he woke up, he was happy as a clam. I brought a bottle so grandma could feed him, and then we all just hung out for a bit watching football and reading stories. Lucas absolutely loves reading books.

We timed our departure to head over to my parents’ house around the time Lucas should have been ready for his next nap, so we said our goodbyes and were on our way. Lucky parents that we are, Lucas fell asleep about halfway through the car ride over. So, once again, we kept him in his car seat and he napped for about another hour and a half.

While he napped, we all hung out and spent some time looking through all the Black Friday flyers, and then my brother carved the turkey right before it was food time.

Like always, mom put out a delicious spread.

Turkey, mashies, sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, homemade applesauce, and my contribution…Jiffy Corn Casserole.

Lucas ended up waking up right before it was time to eat, so he spent some time in his Bumbo seat and/or different peoples’ laps at the table…and got some babyhawks from Uncle Dan, too.

After dinner, I offered to do the dishes so my mom could get some extra grandma time. And, of course, Lucas was ready to read some more stories.

We didn’t stay for dessert, since the timing for little man’s last catnap was sort of tough, so we took a couple pieces of apple pie (and lots of leftovers!) for the road and said our goodbyes.

FYI: If you’re looking for a way to use up some of that leftover turkey, check out my Turkey & Veggie Soup. I already made a batch on Saturday and it was gooooooood.

It was such a great day, and the fact that Lucas was in such a great mood the whole time and lovin’ on his grandparents really made things just that much better. It honestly couldn’t have gone any smoother! I didn’t wind up stuffed at the end of the day (but I certainly had my share of good food!) and I found myself going to bed that night feeling so happy and thankful for everything and everyone in my life. Sorry to be a sap there, but it’s the truth. Winking smile

So there’s a little recap of our Thanksgiving. First one with baby, in the books! If you were celebrating, how was YOUR Turkey Day?? Any favorite dishes that were totally rockin’ your socks off?

1 Heather @fitncookies December 2, 2013 at 7:15 am

He is such an adorable boy! I love that he had some good naps for you guys! :) I know from my cousins that it’s always tricky to have babies and plan their schedule in with holiday schedules, but it seems you made it work completely! :) My day was great; i was just happy to spend time with those I love!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Food galore, Elf, and a Christmas Tree

2 Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes December 2, 2013 at 7:26 am

Lucas is so stinkin cute!!! I can’t get over his little face. You have a beautiful family! Have a great Monday!
Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes recently posted..Weekend and birthday recap!

3 Melissa December 2, 2013 at 7:34 am

Such great photos! I love your family photo with Jay and Lucas and the one of your mom reading to Lucas is absolutely adorable! Plus, I’ve always wanted to try making cinnamon rolls and now that I’ve seen how yours turned out, I am inspired! They look so, so good!
Melissa recently posted..Solace in Pages

4 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine December 2, 2013 at 7:51 am

What a great day! Lucas is such a cutie. Thanksgiving is such a great day to spend with loved ones :) It looks like y’all had a great time.

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 2, 2013 at 7:53 am

Fun! Glad you had such a nice holiday. We were in Florida all week and Addie had a blast hanging out with her cousins, aunt and uncle, my mom, and my mom’s puppy!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Fun Friday #6

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 2, 2013 at 7:58 am

Looks like a great day! And I’m sure Lucas playing along with his naps was definitely something to be thankful for… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Magpie & the Dandelion

7 Linz @ Itz Linz December 2, 2013 at 8:01 am

my mom’s stuffing is seriously THE BEST! itz completely homemade (i’ve had some that is from a mix… uhhh no comparison!) but all of the food was ridiculously good… on thanksgiving, for breakfast the morning after, and several lunches and snacks :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..a glimpse into my family

8 Karen December 2, 2013 at 8:29 am

What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had there with that adorable little guy!!
Karen recently posted..MIMM…Family Fun Day

9 Rachel @ The Mason Maison December 2, 2013 at 8:36 am

Those cinnamon rolls look AMAZING! And Lucas is too cute! My Thanksgiving favorite has to be sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top or the stuffing.
Rachel @ The Mason Maison recently posted..‘Tis the Season for Pie

10 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne December 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

Look like you timed all that just right! I love how interested Lucas is when people read to him, he is too adorable :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..I’m A Believer

11 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life December 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

I am loving all of your pictures! I am so glad you had such a great day with Lucas and your family. Although I am not yet a mama, I definitely agree with uou about giving thanks and think as you get older you realize the true meaning of Thanksgiving and being thankful! It’s not all (just part ha!) about the food lol!

12 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 2, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yay! So glad Lucas did so well! I totally know the feeling – Hunter is a crabster if he doesn’t get his naps either. Thankfully he was a champ and did great as well. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving too. A new little one in your life gives you a whole new perspective on life, doesn’t it? :) We have so much to be thankful for! xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Our Thanksgiving Weekend

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

So happy to hear that Lucas’ first Thanksgiving was such a success!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Elf for Health Week 1 Recap.

14 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance December 2, 2013 at 9:31 am

Looks like you had an amazing day! I actually made three sides for the first time: brussel sprouts, kale & apple salad and mashed sweet potatoes. Yum!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Fitness Biathlon!

15 Shel@PeachyPalate December 2, 2013 at 9:36 am

Awh so cute!!! Looks like a fun filled smooth running day! :)

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat December 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Sounds like you all had a wonderful holiday! Those cinnamon rolls look amazing! We went to my parents’ house for turkey day and had a fantastic meal. It went by SO quickly though!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Thanksgiving 2013 Recap – Survey Style

17 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 2, 2013 at 10:13 am

So glad you all had such a great Thanksgiving and that you timed everything so perfectly!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Christmas Running Wish List

18 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

What an amazing day! <3 Hooray for Lucas staying happy most of the day!! There's another thing to be grateful for! ;)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #33- wintery nails, Hallmark movies, and a long run

19 Ali December 2, 2013 at 10:18 am

It’s certainly more difficult to plan travel and holidays around baby’s nap schedule. We had that issue too, except Aiden decided not to nap at all that day, so he was a little clingy and fussy by the end. Oh well… it was still fun and he got to partake in Thanksgiving dinner a little bit!

20 Sanaz@Run for Cake December 2, 2013 at 10:38 am

What a great first Thanksgiving! Being a mommy to a little 1 year old, I totally get the nap stress. Looks like you and Lucas did great! Can’t ask for more. The best you can do is try to plan it out as best as you can and then cross your fingers and hope for the best! Happy Monday!

21 cait @Pieceofcait December 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

Aww what a great first thanksgiving for lucas! I really enjoyed Brussels + pancetta! :)

22 Lauren December 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Breakfast looks delicious! Has he seen the Christmas tree yet?
Lauren recently posted..Farm To Table Styled Shoot

23 Ellie@Fit for the soul December 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Ahhh I know that feeling of baby being in a super good mood with the family. When they’re not like that you just start feeling bad to everyone around you, huh? :P So glad you guys had a great time, and yeast-less cinnamon rolls sound sooo genius.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..November Favorites

24 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health December 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Those cinnamon rolls are definitely going on my list of must-trys! Glad you all had a happy Thanksgiving! :)
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Cider Chicken and White Bean Soup

25 Nicole December 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Lucas’ face when he’s sitting reading with both his Grandmas…..so cute!

What a terrific Thanksgiving!! :)

26 Hope @ With a Side Of Hope December 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Those cinnamon rolls look and sound delicious! I’ve never made cinnamon rolls before but I’ve always wanted to. :)

I made a shredded brussels sprouts with almonds and cranberry side dish. It got rave reviews. I’m going to post the recipe within in next few days. I definitely want to make it again.
Hope @ With a Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy 29th Birthday, Mike!!

27 Caitlin December 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I can’t get over Lucas’s adorable Thanksgiving outfit, OR how much your mom and you look just alike, or the amount of icing on those cinnamon rolls. I’m an icing lover so I’m all about it!

28 Leigha @ Minougirl December 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

So glad Thanksgiving went great for you guys! Looks like a ton of yummy food. I need to try those cinnamon rolls!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..MIMM – Sleepover and Team Dinner

29 Angie@adiamongthatshinesbright.com December 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Your hair looks great, love the color on you and it looks thick with the layers:)

30 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream December 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Great recap!! Love how you keep your little one on schedule, regardless! I’m the same way with my kids! Love it!
Btw that egg bake looks so good!! I never think to bake eggs in the oven – yum!!
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..New VitaTop Review & a Vitalicious Cyber Monday Deal!

31 Annette@FitnessPerks December 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I love the pics of Lucas with grandma! TOO cute.

Your little fam pic was precious too. You guys look fab!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Highlights {12/2}

32 Amanda @ A Latte Learn December 2, 2013 at 11:02 pm

How exciting, Lucas’ first Thanksgiving! You have an adorable family!
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..A Celebration

33 Jess December 3, 2013 at 11:50 am

Lucas seems so nice :D He was a really good baby after all those visits!

34 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment December 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Lucas is adorable! My mom made a homemade pumpkin pie this year that was amazing!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..Pumpkin Turkey Chili

35 Fizz @fizzsbizz December 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Lucas is just too stinking cute!!

My mother in law did a new cranberry sauce this year with apples that was absolutely delicious! Sweet and tangy and perfect with the bird!
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??

36 Nala December 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I know this is a bit too late – but I’m so glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Lucas looked so cute as he read along with his grandma, he really looked captivated by the book! My Thanksgiving was great! With lots of good food and family =) I’m sure your Thanksgiving was really special – since it is the first with your little man!