Streusel Topped Wild Blueberry Coffee Cake

The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Wild Blueberry Association of North America.

Hey guys, happy Monday! How did the weekend treat ya? We had a really nice weekend here. Friday night was spent with our friends Joe & Kate with some Chinese take-out. Saturday morning Jay and I had a baptism class to attend (Lucas will be getting baptized next month), so he stayed home with my mom and got some grandma time. Saturday evening we had two Christmas parties to go to, which were great, and then Sunday was spent relaxing at home.

Actually, I woke up Sunday morning feeling super refreshed after Lucas decided to sleep through the night until 7:30(!!), so I decided to do a little baking. (*Edited to add: I think that night’s sleep was the calm before the storm…see below)

Now, when I tell you I’ve been craving coffee cake for months, I’m really not exaggerating. It’s one of those things I’ve always loved, and I’ve been meaning to make one for what seems like forever, but I just never get around to it. Well…yesterday was the day. So while I got to work in the kitchen, Jay hung out with smiley.

Seriously…can’t get enough of that big, toothless grin. Winking smile

Part of my reasoning for yesterday’s coffee cake extravaganza is because I needed to come up with a recipe incorporating wild blueberries, as part of a campaign I was chosen to participate in through FitFluential.

I think a lot of people – myself included – assume that a blueberry is a blueberry. But I’ve quickly discovered that this is hardly the case. Wild blueberries have a very different taste than regular blueberries and are also harvested quite differently, too. They’re grown in Maine, eastern Canada, and Quebec, and are never harvested commercially, so they’ve never been modified or meddled with. Most are simply frozen at harvest, which locks in their intense blueberry flavor and antioxidant power.

And did you know that they have twice the antioxidants as regular blueberries? Apparently, they have a flavonoid called Anthocyanin, which gives them their deep color and antioxidant power. Who knew?

Wild blueberries are also smaller, much more intense in flavor and color, and they contain less water, making them easier to freeze and bake with. I also love the fact that, since they’re mostly frozen, they’re available year-round (for the locals, I found them at Hannaford!).

So, when my desire to bake once again strikes, I’ll have nothing holding me back. Winking smile

To find out more about Wild Blueberries, feel free to check them out on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!

But anyways…back to this recipe. Think, subtly sweet cake, topped with tart yet sweet wild blueberries, and finished off with all sorts crumbly, sweet streusel topping. Oh yes…there was no skimping on the streusel here.

Both Jay and I immediately fell in love at first bite.

And honestly, I’m totally diggin’ how the blueberries wound up in a layer above the cake, rather than baking into it. I think it gives the whole coffee cake a totally different feel…but don’t just go by my word. Give it a try for yourself!

1. IMG_5706

P.S. – If this post started sound a bit scattered and/or full of grammatical errors, forgive me. I started writing it up right before we attempted to put Lucas down for bed in our first night of transitioning him from his Rock ‘n’ Play to the crib. And, umm, let’s just say that so far, he’s not too happy with us. I think we’ve got a long few days/week ahead of us…feel free to send me some good thoughts and sleep wishes. Winking smile

Comments

Looks yummy! I keep seeing similar recipes pop up everywhere so I think its time for me to take the hint and bake the cake!
    For Lucas, we did something similar with our daughter around four months. Just be patient and try using a sound machine or something that helps generate some noise since he may not be used to a super quiet room. It took us about a week before she got used to it. Good luck!

Yum! The coffee cake sounds delicious! My dad LOVES blueberry coffee cake, so this immediately made me think of him. :)

As for the sleep thing… My tips: 1) Be CONSISTENT! Don’t give in. I know it’s hard, but trust me. Babies are smarter than you think. 2) Give yourself a week. From everything I’ve read, it takes about 3-7 days for babies to become accustomed to changes. When we were making the transition from the swing to the crib, I was SO anxious about it. But instead of falling apart about it, I just kept telling myself, the longest this will take is a week. And sure enough, by the third night, he was blissfully sleeping fine. :) Hang in there!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Lazy Saturday + Festival of Trees

I’m all about some blueberries! :) I did a post on them a while back and research (from a 2009 study published in “Free Radical Biology and Medicine”) shows that anthocyanin that may actually have the ability to REVERSE memory problems! They found that rats who received blueberry powder increased their memory task performance from 60% to 83% accuracy! (Ok – major dork moment over!!) hahaha :) ..and Lucas is looking at cute as ever! :)
    Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Awkward: Your Chemical Imbalance Is Showing

Wild blueberries are my favorite! They grow here in Michigan and I’m so lucky to have them right at my camp. We pick for days, but we have lots in the freezer for those winter months! This coffee cake looks amazing!
    Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Holiday Wishlist

Awww good luck with the sleep transition! I saw one of your instagram posts of Lucas having a little fun with his feet during nap time. It was SO cute. I “awwed” out loud :-)

Here’s to hoping the transition goes even smoother than you think!

PS – as usual, your baked goods look drool-worthy and delicious. I literally want to go to the store for some wild blueberries RIGHT NOW!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..What Is Your Happy Place?

6. Amelia says

Wild blueberries are the best! I love them in pancakes and waffles too. The coffee cake sounds delicious. It’s been forever since I have had a good coffee cake.

Little Lucas is so cute, as always. Y’all make cute babies. 😉

7. Nala says

The coffee cake looks heavenly, I need to make it sometime soon! I can’t figure why they call it a coffee cake though……And Lucas’s smile is definitely adorable!

Trackbacks

1. […] Dough Cups Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles Roasted Sweet Potato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons Streusel Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake Maple Syrup Snow Taffy Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bites Caramel Stuffed Ginger Molasses Cookies […]