A Special Visitor + I Need Recipe Ideas!

by Courtney on March 6, 2014

Yesterday was a good day! Well, minus the whole part about me having to bring Lucas to get his second flu shot…luckily, he took it like a champ and was my happy little guy the rest of the day.

Said flu shot meant that mama had to leave work just after lunch time in order to bring Lucas to his appointment, but hey, I wasn’t complaining! Once we got back home from the doc, I fed the little man and put him down for his afternoon nap.

While he napped, I took advantage of the extra time and decided to bust out a workout. My legs are actually still crazy sore from my weekend workouts so I decided to go with the 10lb Slimdown Xtreme Upper Body workout. *FYI…the 10lb Slimdown Xtreme series is ALL available on YouTube.  You guys know how much I loooove that DVD.

A little later in the evening, we were lucky enough to have a special visitor stop by…Uncle Dan! Yep, just me and the boys.

My brother even offered to bring us some subs for dinner, so we all sat down to eat ‘em together and I fed Lucas his avocado and carrots.

My brother got me a BBQ chicken sub with provolone and it was good, but I wasn’t expecting fried chicken tender-like-thingies. I was hoping more for something like BBQ pulled chicken, but ahh well…whatcha gonna do, right?

Today I’m back to work, but I’m wicked excited for tonight because it’s Book Club night. No, I didn’t read the book once again. But really, it’s just an excuse to hang out with some of my favorite ladies, which is all that matters. Maybe this next month I’ll actually read the book.

So I’m trying to think of something quick, easy, and super delicious to make for tonight’s Book Club and I’m running low on ideas. If anyone has any good recipes, please, send ‘em my way! It can be an app or a dessert…although, if you know me, then you probably already know which one out of those two I’d prefer. Winking smile

1 Linz @ Itz Linz March 6, 2014 at 6:16 am

i made a peanut butter butterfinger pie over the weekend. it was as ridiculously good as it sounds! (and ridiculously easy!)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Buffalo Hummus Recipe

2 Calie March 6, 2014 at 6:20 am

I ate a peanut butter pie over the weekend and it was seriously, the best thing ever. And when I asked how it was made, the guy who had made it said it was the easiest thing he’s ever made. So I second the peanut butter pie recipe!

3 Linz @ Itz Linz March 6, 2014 at 6:23 am

here’s the recipe i followed: http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2013/08/peanut-butter-butterfinger-pie/ and i subbed greek yogurt for sour cream… to make it healthier?? HA! ;)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Buffalo Hummus Recipe

4 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure March 6, 2014 at 6:50 am

1/2 days of work are the best!

My family absolutely LOVES this corn dip. In fact, my husband often requests it for him to take to work with his lunches.

-2 cans mexi-corn
-8 oz. sour cream (can use light sour cream to lighten it up a bit)
-8 oz. mayo (can use light mayo)
- 10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp)

Stir all together and serve cold with Fritos corn chips.

It might not sound the most appetizing, but trust me, it’s always a big hit!!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..Brain Dump–Thinking Out Loud {2/6/14}

5 Alex March 6, 2014 at 7:13 am

How about a caramel apple dip? It’s super easy to assemble ( <10 minutes) and great for sharing! It's always a hit at parties!

6 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health March 6, 2014 at 7:18 am

This salsa is super simple and versatile – http://dishingouthealth.com/zesty-loaded-black-bean-salsa/

I’ll make a big batch and use it on salads, in wraps or on top of chicken or fish. I wish I had a good dessert recipe, however I usually look to yours when I need one! ;)
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Zesty Loaded Black Bean Salsa

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 6, 2014 at 7:34 am

Sub looks delicious! We had subs last night as well after I worked all night I was too tired to come home and cook. Oh well :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Moving Forward After Job Loss

8 Miss Polkadot March 6, 2014 at 7:39 am

Bringing dessert will make everybody forgive you for not getting to read the book ;) . In my book [pun not even intended] bars are the best to bring for larger crowds and easiest to prepare in a pinch. How about either these – I’ve made them multiple times and people rave about them: http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2013/06/24/rice-krispie-energy-bites/

or these I’ve been meaning to try: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/10/07/mini-crunch-bars-with-peanut-butter-shell-drizzle/

Have a fun time with the other ladies! Which book is up next?
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Thinking out loud #12

9 Heather @fitncookies March 6, 2014 at 7:39 am

I’d love to offer you some ideas but most of my favorites are yours! haha I love buffalo chicken dip.. there’s a link in my recipe page on my blog for it. It’s so easy and really good! I am also a fan of salted caramel chocolate chip bars. SO good, but not sure if you have the caramel on hand (I never do!). Here’s the link for my recipe page with the buffalo chicken dip one on it! http://wp.me/P3cAlA-q
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Venus Snap Razor

10 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers March 6, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thanks for linking up to the workout. Loooove YouTube workouts, especially for busy days like yesterday when I couldn’t make it to the gym.

As for dessert, I made a chocolate pudding trifle from Taste of Home’s website that was pretty good. It served a lot, so it’s good for a group. (Plus, book clubs usually have wine, right? Wine + chocolate = FTW)
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Exhausted But Happy

11 Jenn@Mark My Miles! March 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

Ha! I thought I was the only one who didn’t read the book : )
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..FREE breakfast!

12 Bre & Ree March 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

I hope you have fun at your book club tonight. I so miss my NY book club=) Anyway, here’s one of my favorite dessert recipes, it’s super easy and perfect for sharing! I love chocolate chip cookies, and they’re paleo! Just be sure to double the recipe so you have tons extra for the weekend. http://www.bakergal.com/2011/12/delicious-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookie.html
Enjoy, I hope you have a great night!
~Bre
Bre & Ree recently posted..wheat-free, dairy-free, morning glory muffins

13 Marcie March 6, 2014 at 8:43 am

These are my go-to easy dessert recipe. Blondies!

14 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm

They look amazing…totally bookmarking those! Thanks!!!

15 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine March 6, 2014 at 8:45 am

I’ve been craaaaving brownies. So I’d have to suggest those :)

16 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne March 6, 2014 at 8:57 am

I love that you go to book club to hang out with your friends! And that is weird, I would have expected pulled chicken not fried chicken thingies too! But I bet it was still good!!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Thinking Out Loud #6

17 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 6, 2014 at 9:00 am

buffalo chicken dip (with greek yogurt cream cheese and added black beans) is my current go-to! takes zero time! everyone always loves it!

18 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 6, 2014 at 9:09 am
19 Carli March 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

hi! this is kind of more breakfast-y but could maybe also be dessert? http://www.fitsugar.com/Apple-Cinnamon-Quinoa-Breakfast-Bake-32210316

20 Jessica March 6, 2014 at 9:44 am

My friend and I have an inside joke about these cookies – we make them when ever we’re trying to “impress” people (i.e. meeting a boyfriend’s family, going to a new group meeting of some sort…) They don’t LOOK impressive, but every time either of us has made them we get complements. Make them twice the size that the recipe says to though!

Jealous of your book club! I’ve been trying to get my friends to start one.
Jessica recently posted..Monday Linkage

21 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm

They sound delicious…totally trying these when I have a little more time ;)

22 Kelsey March 6, 2014 at 9:51 am

This is one of my go-to recipes for a quick dessert – instead of using 1/2 cup butter, I blend up 2 fresh bananas (not ripe) in my food processor and use that instead. The consistency turns out a little cakier, but they are delicious and healthier too! And they come together really fast! :)

23 cait @pieceofcait March 6, 2014 at 10:04 am

This week I made an easy salmon! Brown sugar + maple syrup — >http://apieceofcait.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/brown-sugar-maple-syrup-salmon-recipe/

& greek yogurt choc chip muffins! great grab and go breakfast :) –> http://apieceofcait.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/greek-yogurt-chocolate-chip-muffins/

24 Shel@PeachyPalate March 6, 2014 at 10:26 am

A mexican frittata…sweet potato, black beans, salsa and blended avocado and greek yoghurt for topping!! Big fruit salad and a green salad for on the side!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Lemon, Chocolate & a Giveaway

25 Molly March 6, 2014 at 10:34 am

Funfetti cake dip! You can serve it with whatever you’d like or have on hand. Graham crackers, animal crackers, pretzels (for a little sweet and salty!), or apple slices!

SO easy – only 3 ingredients! She recommends chilling the dip for 4 hours; however, I did not find that necessary when I made this.

26 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I’m TOTALLY making this!! THANK YOU!!!

27 Molly March 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Woo hoo! It is dangerously good…you have been warned!!

28 Alex Mainini March 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

SOO easy and delicious! One of my favorite deserts..no baking involved!

29 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm

This is a super simple no bake recipe that I’ve tried and was a big fit with the family – Cake Batter and Sprinkles Fudge (just put in the freezer to set if you’ll be short on time).

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #35 – Cleaning Eating My Way

30 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm

That looks SO GOOD!

31 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I must get my hands on that Sam Adams Cold Snap!! I’ve heard such good things.

…I’m sorry, is it bad that’s what I noticed about the picture? ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Know Love

32 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Bahaha, not at all ;)

33 Annette@FitnessPerks March 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Have fun at book club!

Just curious, what was the book?

34 Courtney March 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Divergent :)

35 Nancy March 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I’ve got $11 left on my subway gift card and you just made me crave it. Luckily, it’s across the street.
Nancy recently posted..Filling my belly with some Bumble

36 Allison March 6, 2014 at 4:44 pm

OMG! This just made my day! I thought I had lost the Kickboxing 10lb Extreme video forever! Gah, I sure do miss her one liners!

37 Divya Budhraja March 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hahaha, that’s funny about Book Club.
We have our meeting on Saturday and I’m pretty confident that I’m the ONLY one who has read the book! Everyone else is just in it for the mimosas ;)
(but who are we kidding — that’s reason enough!)
Divya Budhraja recently posted..Full Inclusion is Hard. Do it Anyway.

38 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment March 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm

A little late for tonight but I recently made the Grain Free Apple Bread on Gina’s site and it was amazing. Maybe for another time – http://fitnessista.com/2014/02/grain-free-upside-down-apple-bread/
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..Healthy Does Not Equal Free

39 Danica @ It's Progression March 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

just because I’m a book nerd…what book did your group pick for this month?!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Friday Favorites 3.7.14

40 Courtney March 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Well “we” (aka, not me, haha) read Divergent this past time but we’re still waiting to see which book we’re going to be reading this month!

41 kristina March 8, 2014 at 1:53 pm

am i allowed to have a blog crush on your brother? ..were probably close in age…i too bad i live in California.. =)