WIAW: New Snacks

by Courtney on March 12, 2014

Holy cow, was yesterday a BUSY day. It wasn’t until almost 9:30pm when I finally got the chance to just sit down and veg…which I did for about 5 minutes, then got back up to just get ready to go to bed. I. Was. Spent.

Tuesdays are the day when Jay will (sometimes) go snowboarding after work, which means I’m solo for the evening. I don’t mind it at all, especially since I get my evenings out too, and I think it’s really important that we both get some individual time to step away from the “mommy” and “daddy” role for a few hours. So that just means that I’m scrambling a bit more once the babe is in bed.

Last night, once Lucas was asleep around 7:15pm, I headed to the basement for a workout (was pretty darn proud of the fact that I still managed to do it…another killer NTC workout), then it was time to wash/sterilize bottles, pick up the living room and kitchen, prep bottles and food for Lucas, make my own lunch for today, put together a rough outline for this post, pump, then (finally!) bedtime.

So here we are today, and it’s another WIAW kinda day. Today’s post features all of Monday’s eats, so let’s get rollin’!

Breakfast

A paired a plain Chobani with some fresh strawberries and Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal.

breakfast

I’ve actually been enjoying this combo for a few days now and am totally loving it. I got away from the whole yogurt + fruit + cereal combo for a while, but it’s definitely back on my radar. Especially if the strawberries stay as good as these last couple of containers have been!

Mid-Morning Snack

Nothin’ like the classic peanut butter and banana combo, am I right?

pb & banana

Never gets old.

Lunch

I’ve also been all about the salads for lunch these days. As long as their filled with all sort of good stuff, of course. This one had mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, avocado, cranberries, feta cheese, sliced deli turkey, and roasted kettle kernels(!) with honey balsamic vinaigrette.

salad

The Roasted Kettle Kernels actually came in my latest NatureBox delivery and holy crap…I decided to choose them just because they were a bit different from something I would typically get so I figured it was a long shot. But these things are insanely delicious!

roasted kettle kernels

In addition to the Kettle Kernels, I also snagged some more delicious goodies.

naturebox

Included in this month’s box were:

• Roasted Kettle Kernels
  • Sunshine Chips (I couldn’t resist getting them again)
  • French Vanilla Almond Granola
  • Honey Nut Medley
  • Yogurt Dipped Pretzels

natureboxnaturebox

Yum, yum, yum. And as a reminder, you can use the code SWEETTOOTH to get 50% off your 1st box (I’m not making any money off of your use of the code, just a discount for you!).

Mid-Afternoon Snack

While I was scrambling in the morning to pack up some more snacks, I came across the half of a leftover baked sweet potato which, technically, is Lucas’s. Whoops, sorry bud. Looks like I owe ya some more sweet ‘taters.

I ate it cold and topped with some Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter and honestly, it was such a perfect snack. I had one of those moments where I was like “why do I not make more of these ahead of time for snacks?” I always say the same thing about hard boiled eggs, too. I love them, but never have any cooked when a craving strikes. I need to get on top of that.

Dinner

Jay and I hadn’t really planned anything for dinner (sound familiar?) so we put together what we could with what we had. That meant a chicken sandwich for him and a TJ’s Pizza Veggie Burger for me, topped with some sliced avocado and melted provolone.

dinner

Let me tell ya…that sandwich turned out to be SO much better than I could have anticipated.

After-Dinner Snacks

I had work to do after dinner, in the form of washing and sterilizing bottles. Blahhhh…one of the most tedious of mommy/daddy duties, if ya ask me! So while I worked on those, I also washed up some grapes and plucked them from the vines, snacking on both those and some TJ’s schoolhouse cookies.

tj's cookies

No idea how many I had, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t get too crazy. ;)

A little while later, I also snacked on an iced oatmeal cookie Clif Z Bar, mostly because it just looked good when I saw it.

clif z bar

Those things, I’ll tell ya. Delicious.

And that’s that! Lots of talk about snacks today, huh? What snacks have you guys been loving lately??

*And I’ve gotta give a couple big HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout outs to my friends Joey & Andrea, who are both celebrating today. Happy Birthday, guys!* xoxo

1 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Love Nature Box snacks! Have you had the blueberry almonds…. so delicious!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Stuck in a Rut

2 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm

YES! They came in my last box – soooooo good!!

3 Stacey M. March 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Looks like a great day of eats if you ask me! I just had a yogurt, fruit, cereal combo for dinner last night and I had forgotten how delicious they really are. My fruit was a chopped apple, however, since decent strawberries are rare around my parts right now. I also love your banana and PB snack … it truly never gets old. I think I eat that combination in some form or another everyday. Also love those iced oatmeal Z-bars … been snacking on those for a while now. You’ve definitely inspired some serious cravings this morning!

4 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog March 12, 2014 at 9:26 am

I have a lot of friends with babies, and I gotta say, that whole bottle cleaning thing seems like a ton of work!!

Those Naturebox snacks looks positively delicious. And I love Clif Z bars. Do you know who turned me onto them? You! Hopefully I helped encourage your love of Goldfish :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Sweet, with a Touch of Veggies

5 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hahaha, I’ve got your back, you’ve got mine. ;)

6 Louise@FitRadiance March 12, 2014 at 9:28 am

Delicious looking meals/snacks! Lately, I’ve been loving some Greek yogurt with nuts, or some type of homemade bars to snack on :)
Louise@FitRadiance recently posted..Sukrin Products Review

7 Maggie March 12, 2014 at 9:29 am

Do you sterilize your bottles every day? My pediatrician said that is not necessary. He said simply washing the bottles and pump parts in hot, soapy water is sufficient. I just googled it, and many sources agree. The only exception is if you have well water. Not trying to tell you what to do — just trying to hopefully save you some time :-)

8 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

Oh my gosh, no, haha! The only time I really sterilize them is if they’ve been sitting out all day without being rinsed and whatnot (I usually try to at least rinse them afterwards). We typically just do the hot soapy water, too, but I’d say we probably sterilize maybe 1-2x a week? This week was an exception since we had really let them pile up. Oops. :)

9 Britt@MyOwnBalance March 12, 2014 at 9:35 am

I never thought of putting almond butter on a sweet potato before. Sounds really good!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Extend Your Body with Xtend Barre

10 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

I have got to try the sweet potato with almond butter! That sounds very delicious! I love sweet potatoes and always try to keep a stash in my refrigerator at all times :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..How Running Together Can Benefit Your Relationship

11 Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) March 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

About a month ago I started mixing greek yogurt with granola and chocolate chips…. it was life changing! It is my breakfast everyday now!

12 Brynn March 12, 2014 at 9:59 am

I have been loving the berry/yogurt/topping combo as well. The fruit seems to be so fresh and juicy – I can’t get enough!
Brynn recently posted..WIAW {3/12}

13 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige March 12, 2014 at 10:07 am

Oh man, I just love those cookies from TJ’s. I usually get the ginger ones, though!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..6 Nutrition Guidelines to Follow Whether You Want to Lose Weight Or Not

14 Shel@PeachyPalate March 12, 2014 at 10:18 am

LOVE sweet potatoes with nut butter…or even better, coconut butter!!!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Chickpea Masala

15 Danica @ It's Progression March 12, 2014 at 10:18 am

Since you’ve mentioned it a couple of times now, I just downloaded that Nike Training app – I plan to test it out this afternoon!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..All about Fats – which ones to eat and which ones to avoid

16 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:21 pm

It’s KILLER (at least for me and my not-super-fit self) ;)

17 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 12, 2014 at 10:37 am

The snow outside means that I don’t want to go to the gym today, so I’m thinking a NTC workout might be happening today! Snacks lately: baked goods (muffins or banana bread), bananas and nut butter, and carrots and hummus. That veggie burger looks fantastic!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: I’m a Lazy Salad-Maker.

18 Marina @ Lazy for Diet March 12, 2014 at 11:03 am

My favourites the last weeks – the boiled eggs! Their easy to prep for all week, and they perfectly work as snack to/after training. And great fight with appetite ;)

19 Alaina March 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

I’ve heard so much about Nature Box but never tried it. Thanks to your code, I can look forward to my first box in a couple of weeks! Thank you Courtney! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Race’s #4 And #5: St. Pat’s 5K and Celtic 5K

20 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Awesome! Enjoy!!

21 Presley @ Run Pretty Blog March 12, 2014 at 11:23 am

I do NOT miss bottles. It’s 2014, isn’t there a better way to do it? Nope. haha Of all the baby stuff, that was the worst.
Presley @ Run Pretty Blog recently posted..Favorite Beauty Finds + I’m Trying Here

22 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:20 pm

SERIOUSLY!

23 Annette@FitnessPerks March 12, 2014 at 11:27 am

Wow! What a delicious day of eats!

I too love hardboiled eggs & sweet potatoes with almond butter (with honey & sunflower seeds–sooo yummy!)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..WIAW-Hungry Often

24 Parita @ myinnershakti March 12, 2014 at 11:30 am

How is that pizza burger? Looks and sounds so good but am wondering if it tastes good.

25 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Really good!!! I had one crumbled on a salad today too – super delish (in my opinion!) :)

26 Shawna March 12, 2014 at 11:30 am

i dig the Sunshine Chips in Nature Box as well, and their Blueberry Almond rice clusters are another good choice. my fave snacks are the figs for sure.

27 Miss Polkadot March 12, 2014 at 11:34 am

Nothin’ like the not-so-classic almond butter and apple/pear combo, I’d say. I figure I’m the odd one out but I while I like bananas I don’t ever eat them as is. Just stirred into oats or in baked goods. Blogger fail?!
The NatureBox snacks look great – too bad we can’t get the box over here. One of my favourite snacks that takes hardly any prep work are canned chickpeas. Drained, rinsed – ready.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Weighing in on a heavy topic

28 jenn@Mark My Miles! March 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’m loving peanut butter and bananas as always. Plus for dessert, I’ve been adding chocolate ice cream to the combo…so yummy!
jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..DREAM BIG. Will you join me?

29 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Is it crazy that I actually do NOT like chocolate ice cream?? I like just about everything and anything else chocolate, except ice cream!

30 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Wowwwww, that veggie burger with all the avocado and cheese on it looks AMAZING!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Sugar Intake Has Been A Tad Ridiculous Lately

31 Linz @ Itz Linz March 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm

i’ve been loving peanut butter and sunflower seed butter… straight outta the jar!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Salad Bar at Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes

32 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie March 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Those Clif kids bars are my favorite! I always feel so weird buying them since I’m not technically a kid or don’t have kids but who cares – they are too good!
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..California Dreamin’

33 Bre & Ree March 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

My dishwasher has a sanitizer setting, so we’d pile all the bottles into this OXO basket, run the cycle without detergent on that setting, and done! Super easy. Here’s a link to the basket.

And the Nature Box snacks look great, I’ll have to check them out. Thank you so much for the discount code!!!
~Bre
Bre & Ree recently posted..the liebster award

34 Courtney March 12, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Do you ever find that running the parts through the dishwasher makes them cloudy at all? We have a couple dishwasher baskets for our Dr. Brown’s bottles but don’t like using them because they always come out all cloudy…then again, maybe that’s just our dishwasher. ;)

35 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I just had a sweet potato last night and had the rest today for a leftover. Would never have thought to add the nut butter on top, but now I’m definitely intrigued! I’m sure it would be good!
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..Adventures in Weight Changes

36 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm

those ABC cookies = CRACK!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..what (my kids) ate wednesday

37 Tori Lt March 12, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I have the exact same feelings about prepping sweet potatoes! Lately I can’t get enough of some plain greek yogurt and mixing in a tablespoon or 2 of PB2, holy yum!
Tori Lt recently posted..Weekend Recap

38 Ellie@Fit for the soul March 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Wowww so many good snacks and meals, Courtney! Omgness that sounds like such a busy night…but I’m glad you got through it! :D And good for you guys for giving each other that alone time–I think too that it’s such an essential part of life and marriage.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..How a Daily Green Smoothie Has Changed my Body

39 Shelly March 12, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Yesterday I had some graham crackers topped with peanut butter for a snack. I’ve never had that before, but it was delicious! I’m definitely going to snack on that again.
Shelly recently posted..Pictures of Food

40 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment March 12, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I love sweet potatoes with almond butter! Lately I have been loving celery with sunflower butter.
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..Asparagus in Lemon Butter Sauce

41 Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely March 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm

For being unplanned, your dinner sure does look delish!

I usually have at least 1 day a week that when I finally sit down to relax, I’m ready for bed! It will definitely help you appreciate the slower days!
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..Happy 3rd Anniversary to My Love

42 Kim @FITsique March 12, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Kettle Kernels??? are they actual popcorn kernels? Seems strange but I’m intrigued :) You can never go wrong adding nut butters to your snacks!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..Why Your Goals Fail – And How To Set Ones That Won’t

43 Katy March 12, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Great eats! Love the snacks. Snacks I’ve been loving are Pretzel Crisps, applesauce, and string cheese. Sounds a little boring but them have been hitting the spot lately! I can’t wait for spring so I can enjoy more fresh produce. :-)
Katy recently posted..WIAW: Breakfast Biscuit Recipe

44 Courtney's friend Joey March 12, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Whoop Whoop birthday shout out on the blog!!

45 Alaina March 12, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I so look up to you with continuing your fitness with such a young baby! You are so inspiring! When did you begin exercising after giving birth? I am almost 1 wk postpartum and am starting to miss that endorphin rush. Also, I also am a previous HAer, so you must understand how I feel!

46 Nancy March 12, 2014 at 10:25 pm

All your snacks look tasty. But seriously – I’ve said it before on here (I think) you really need to try S’mores flavour by Balance Bar. OMGGGGGGGGG. Buy it! Lol.

47 Sarah @ Sweet Miles March 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

I need to try the NatureBox thing! It looks so good! HA cracking up at your friend above… “courtney’s friend joey” :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Janji Running Apparel Review and Promo Code