Veggielicious Egg Casserole

by Courtney on April 7, 2014

The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Daisy Cottage Cheese.

Hey, happy Monday! How was the weekend, friends? Per the usual, it totally flew by for us, but it was a great one for sure. For the first time in probably, I don’t know, three weekends(?), we actually had nobody sick which was a nice change of pace.

We spent our entire day Saturday working around the house, installing new doors, and all that not-so-fun-but-sorta-necessary stuff. I finally got a chance to clean the house up a bit too, so I feel like I’m slowly getting a leg up on life again. We left the babe home Saturday evening and spent it out with some of our friends, which was an awesome few hours out.

Sunday was another busy day. I brought the babe grocery shopping with me and had him sit in the cart like a “big boy” for the first time. He loved every second and could not keep his eyes off of, well, everything.

I also forgot to pack up a snack with us, so I grabbed that pouch pictured above right off the shelf and gave it to him. Perk of being out at a grocery store I suppose, eh?

On our way home, I stopped at DD’s to give the cookie dough iced coffee another shot…GOOD NEWS, my friends. It was freakin’ delicious. I don’t know what was wrong with the first one I got, but that thing was suuuuper. Try it.

cookie dough iced coffee

The weekend also included a couple of good workouts (a Nike Training Club app workout on Saturday + this treadmill run on Sunday) which finally (hopefully) got me back in my groove for the week ahead.

And finally, I also spent a bit of time in the kitchen. I had some more ripe bananas waiting to be used, so another loaf of Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread was made.

cinnamon sugar crusted banana bread

Gosh, I love that stuff.

And I also experimented a bit with a little breakfast dish for me to have during the week.

egg and cottage cheese casserole

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but mornings around here during the week are crazy. If I don’t have things prepped the night before, it’s even more chaotic, so I try my best to at least make sure that Lucas’s meals are packed and mine are prepped and packed as well.

Breakfast is a big thing for me. It’s my favorite meal of the day so I usually try to give it the most thought. I’ve actually really been craving eggs lately, but I’ve got just about zero time to make them fresh, it usually doesn’t happen. But then I occasionally get that big bright “ah ha” moment when I realize,”Duh, Courtney…make a casserole ahead of time.”

So that’s what I did. Winking smile

egg and cottage cheese casserole

I was recently given the option to try Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese and put it to use in a recipe. They’ve recently introduced a new, modern packaging that highlights what makes “The Daisy Difference” versus other brands – better ingredients.

Did you guys know that Daisy Cottage Cheese contains no more than four high quality ingredients (compared with other brands that can hold 10 or more) and is free of additives, preservatives and thickeners? And another great thing about cottage cheese is what I call the “fill factor”. Every 90 calorie 1/2 cup serving of Daisy Low Fat Cottage Cheese is packed with 13 grams of protein, to help you stay fuller longer.

daisy cottage cheese

Their new packaging also boasts colored lids (dark blue lids for regular, and light blue for the low fat), making it super easy to spot the variety of your choice. Next time I’m totally going to get the regular variety and have Mr. Lucas give it a whirl…I have a feeling he’ll love it (if he’s anything like his mama!).

I’ve long been a fan of cottage cheese mixed with fruit.

Especially my Taste of the Tropics Cottage Cheese Bowl

So that’s why I decided to try it out in something savory. The combination of eggs and cottage cheese give this casserole some major protein power, and the loads of veggies mixed in just make it all that much more delicious.

egg and cottage cheese casserole

Even Lucas wanted to get his hands on it.

The great thing with this casserole is that you could easily tailor it to your tastes – swap in some different veggies, switch up the cheese, add turkey bacon or ham – there’s loads of possibilities.

veggielicious egg casserole

Veggielicious Egg Casserole

• Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Cook Time: ~45 mins

Ingredients:

• 1-2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1/3 cup onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup peppers, diced
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup egg whites*
  • 1 cup Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

*If you don’t have liquid egg whites on hand, feel free to add 2 egg whites or just the whole egg.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×9” or 11×7” pan with cooking spray.
  2. Place spinach in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds or until it just starts to wilt. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and whisk until eggs are thoroughly beaten.
  3. Pour egg mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until center is set.

*I already had my oven on 350, but you could definitely cook this at 375 degrees F and cut your cook time down slightly. If you do cook at 375, I’d say to check the casserole around 25-30 minutes.

egg and cottage cheese casserole

I’m looking forward to having this for breakfast all week long, fo sho.

Alright guys, it’s about that time for me to do the work thang for today. Hope you all have a fantastic week ahead!

Oh yes, one last thing before I go…

*****

Power Your Way Through the Day Twitter Chat, hosted by FitFluential

Date: April 10, 2014
Time: 9:00 pm EST

In this multitasking, multi-device world we live in, people are nonstop and need
the proper fuel to get them through each day. Gone are the days when a caffeine
shot will do. People realize that they need proper nourishment – not a quick fix –
to give them energy. They appreciate what the power of protein can do. Daisy
Cottage Cheese is the perfect protein source. Daisy is extremely versatile and
can help power your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and pre/post workout.

Follow Daisy on Twitter and the hashtag #DaisyDifference

1 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 7, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’m not a huge fan of cottage cheese on it’s own, but that casserole looks delicious! Such a great idea to make it on the weekend to have for a quick breakfast during the work week!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday Snapshots – 4/6

2 Kim @FITsique April 7, 2014 at 6:55 am

The casserole looks delicious! I love the idea of adding cottage cheese to the eggs. I love adding greek yogurt cream cheese to my omelets because it makes it so crramy. Im sure this is similar!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..How To Stay Healthy While Traveling

3 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie April 7, 2014 at 7:04 am

Lucas just keeps getting cuter! I can’t get over his little jean jacket!
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..You Know It’s Master’s Week When…

4 Linz @ Itz Linz April 7, 2014 at 7:15 am

that egg casserole does look delicious! i love how versatile cottage cheese is! so many possibilities!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Baby Shower Speech

5 Lauren April 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

Lucas’s jacket is too cute! So glad you had a great weekend and what a delicious recipe. I absolutely LOVE cottage cheese. It’s a nice change from yogurt at times.

6 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves April 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

I’m usually a Greek yogurt person, but I have tried cottage cheese before, and I loved it! And adding it to egg casserole is a fantastic idea. Looks delicious!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..My First Time {At Chipotle}

7 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) April 7, 2014 at 7:33 am

I remember H’s first time sitting in the cart on her own- it’s a big milestone! L looks adorable in it, too, of course :)

And the casserole looks great- thanks for the recipe!
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Second Pregnancy: 35 Weeks

8 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog April 7, 2014 at 7:46 am

First off, wow, I’m relieved to hear about the iced coffee, because I was very disappointed about that! Speaking of iced coffee, I just got a new job in the coffee biz…SO EXCITED!

In terms of this casserole, it looks absolutely delicious – so light and fluffy! I’ll definitely pin this and love the idea of adding cottage cheese to a casserole like this.
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Why You Should Believe in Clichés

9 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

Never been a big cottage cheese fan but that casserole looks DELICIOUS! Glad you all had a great weekend with some delicious foods :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Run Your Own Pace

10 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork April 7, 2014 at 8:08 am

I used to have cottage cheese all the time and I don’t know why I stopped eating it! So much protein in such a small amount! I definitely need to add it back in.
I’m the same way on weekday mornings–I’m up and out, so I need everything done the night before (breakfast made and packed, clothes ironed and laid out, even my vitamins ready to go and grab. I would definitly try this casserole out since it has what I look for in a breakfast: lots of protein, some fats, and fiber! I need staying power to get me from 6:30 until 11 (yes, I eat lunch freakishly early, but I’m also up early and go to bed early). Thanks for sharing!
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..Friday Favorite: Food Should Taste Good + Recipes!

11 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List April 7, 2014 at 8:27 am

oh yum!! I love all things egg (and my kids do too!) …making this!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..reebok skyscape – because #styleneverstops

12 Chrissy @pinkpolishandrunningshoes April 7, 2014 at 8:41 am

Oh my gosh Lucas is so cute! That picture in the grocery cart is adorable.

13 Casey April 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh my gosh that jean jacket melts my heart

14 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 7, 2014 at 9:26 am

I love egg casserole dishes like this one! They’re perfect to make on the weekend and have for breakfast all week. Definitely giving this one a try!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Motivation Monday – BE Happy

15 Shel@PeachyPalate April 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

Love baked egg casseroles…or we call em frittatas! Yum! Even better cold!

16 Nancy April 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

This casserole looks like what I have for breakfast every morning! I do the exact same thing – make a big egg and veggie casserole (no cottage cheese, I feel like I do have to have it and it makes for one less ingredient to purchase), then I am set on breakfast for the week. Add a little hot sauce or ketchup in the morning and I feel like I’ve had a fabulous meal! Love it!

17 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 7, 2014 at 10:43 am

The egg casserole looks delish! I’ve been eating a lot of cottage cheese here lately… you can’t beat the amount of protein that you get for just a 1/2 cup.
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Marvelous is…..

18 Ashley @ Sweet carolina belle April 7, 2014 at 11:04 am

The casserole looks amazing. I thought that the dunkin iced coffee looks delicious and am glad it was much better the second time around!

19 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

pretty spring robin egg blue manicure :)
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted..Albion Fit $50 GIVEAWAY

20 Britt@MyOwnBalance April 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

I love love love cottage cheese with fruit. Darn! Now I want some!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Cupcakes, the Circus and How to Get Rid of Cellulite with Bliss

21 Suzanne @ Mrs Mix It April 7, 2014 at 12:23 pm

That veggie casserole looks gooood!!! I’m a cottage cheese fan. I like it plain mixed with fruit and I like it mixed it with savory stuff, too like cheese enchiladas and lasagna. YUM!!!!

22 Parita @ myinnershakti April 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I love eggs for breakfast too but never have time to enjoy them. This would be the perfect thing to make on a Sunday and then enjoy during the week. It would make my mornings a lot more enjoyable!

23 lauren April 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I’ve made something like this with ricotta, cottage cheese sounds like a good sub here! I love bake-able breakfasts, they’re great to take for weekday mornings too!
I want to know how you get Lucas to eat a pouch without squirting it everywhere?! We have a “mom holds the pouch rule” right now, especially out, since my almost 9 month old likes to see the food squirt out of the top :/
Also curious where you keep cat food & water with him being mobile…my little guy is always going after the cat “cheerios” and trying to splash in the water bowl.

24 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Ohhh good to hear about the iced coffee! There’s a DD dangerously close to my in-laws’ house (where we’re staying for now)…uh oh! ;)

The egg casserole looks great! I’ve been loving eggs with all the mix-ins lately. Great idea to add cottage cheese!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Settling In

25 Ellie@Fit for the soul April 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thanks to some bloggers I got daisy cottage cheese and looooove the fact that it has minimal ingredients! woohoo! And the casserole looks fabulous, and I want some of the banana bread. Oy…I’m def. hungry, haha.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Warrior HIIT Workout+Life Lately

26 Presley @ Run Pretty April 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Our local DD is ALWAYS hit or miss. I just never go anymore. Starbucks steals all my money now. I wish we had a cute local coffee shop but no such luck. This is a super long ramble about coffee I guess? Sorry about that.

I need eggs stat…
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Kids Are Gross + Clorox Ick Awards

27 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I love putting cottage cheese in my eggs – definitely makes them even fluffier and love the addition of protein!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..Weekend.

28 Ali April 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Pouches are the most convenient baby snacks ever. It’s so nice to be in the store and give them one!

29 Leigha @ Minougirl April 7, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I looove cottage cheese! I never thought about adding it to an egg bake! Yours looks so yummy. I would add some mushrooms too!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Sweet and Savory Salmon

30 chelsea @ chattersize n' pies April 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I’ve had really good and really terrible coffee from DD and Starbucks so here lately I have been buying the syrups and such and making coffee at the house instead. It’s cheaper and more consistently good. I’ve got my favorites down to a science! Though I have heard the cookie dough iced coffee is where it’s at!

31 Mandee April 7, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Same thing w me! Got the iced coffee w a turbo shot twice, it was perfect. Got it at another DD, disgusting. I really am not a dunkin fan bc I think they water down their coffee, so I was pleasantly surprised by the cookie dough. I just gotta make sure I go to the same place to get it.

32 Runner Girl Eats April 8, 2014 at 6:04 am

I have been swearing that I will start food prepping for month but THIS is my weekend to do it! I love the idea of a quiche all week for breakfast. Also, I am dying for my next excuse to swing by DD to try that coffee!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wedding: the Ceremony

33 Annette@FitnessPerks April 8, 2014 at 1:54 pm

This sounds so delicious! And easy. I am all over that then! :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..CXWORX AIM 1 Recap

34 Meaghan Voigt April 21, 2014 at 11:50 am

Courtney! I made your veggielicious egg casserole for Easter brunch and it was a huge hit! Thanks for the recipe!! :)