Getting My (Stitch) Fix On

by Courtney on April 18, 2014

It finally arrived.

I mentioned it a few weeks ago, but yes, I finally caved and jumped in on the craze that is Stitch Fix. I’m sure that most of you have already heard of Stitch Fix by now, buuuut in case you haven’t (I know some of my favorite girls have not – ladies, you know who you are!), let me give ya the low down…

You start by signing up and filling out a very in-depth profile on your sizes, likes, dislikes, etc. on their website…

You pay a $20 styling fee (which was one of the reasons I hesitated for a while…what if I didn’t like anything they sent? Would I be out $20? Because that’d be lame). The styling fee gets credited towards whatever you do decide to purchase from your fix…

Your style profile is then assigned to a personal stylist who creates a “fix” for you based off of what you’ve included in your profile…

Your “fix” gets delivered (and you do a little happy dance)! Along with your five items, you can expect to receive a personal note from your stylist, style cards on how to pair each of the items you’ve received (loved this, by the way), payment info, and a pre-paid shipping bag to return any items you don’t wish to keep…

From there, it’s time to try on all of the goods! One thing I immediately noticed was how well my stylist listened to some of the notes I left in my style profile:

• I need a new pair of jeans that are long enough, well-fitted, and can be worn both on the weekends and to work.
  • I wanted tops that were light and flowy.
  • I asked to keep my price range for tops on the lower end, but I’d be willing to spend a little more on jeans.

While accessories can also be included, I opted to not include any in mine, since I’m looking more for clothing instead. So I wound up with three tops and two pairs of bottoms.

The Tops:

IMG_6837-001IMG_6838-001IMG_6842-002

• Top #1 – I like, but I don’t think I love it enough to keep it – it’s oddly long in the front
  • Top #2 – Definitely my favorite(!)
  • Top #3 – I like it, but it’s a little big in the arm pits so I think I’ll have to return it since I’d need a smaller size

The Bottoms:

Mavi Skinny Jeans

IMG_6851IMG_6851-001

I most definitely, 100% love these, which I’m thrilled about. Shopping for jeans is quite possibly one of my least favorite things on the planet (I tend to be rather picky), but these are fantastic. Super stretchy, actually long enough, amazingly comfortable, and fit. like. a. glove. These are a total keeper. I love you, Stitch Fix, for putting these in my possession.

High Waisted Crop Trouser

IMG_6860IMG_6862

I really like these and I love the fact that the waistband is completely stretchy like yoga pants. No zippers, buttons, or anything. I’m tempted to keep these but I did just buy a pair similar to them from the Banana Republic outlet. Then again, you can’t really go wrong with more than one pair of a classic, black pant, right?

Oh, decisions! So what do you guys think on the tops and bottoms? What to keep and what to send back??

So yes, I think I’ve officially caught the Stitch Fix bug. I don’t know if it’s more the element of surprise or what, but I’m hooked. So much so that I’ve already gone ahead and booked my next fix (word on the street is that that they only get better as your stylist gets to “know” you better) and, really, what have I got to lose? Well, besides a potential $20, I suppose.

On a totally different note…happy FRIDAY!! Hopefully everyone had a good week?! We had a happy hour after work last night which was a lot of fun (I even got to meet a blog reader – Hi, Wendy!) and now I’m looking forward to what is sure to be a busy, fun-filled holiday weekend with both friends and family. Hopefully the same goes for all of you!

*****

*Affiliate link alert! All Stitch Fix links in this post are referral links. I will get a credit for anyone who signs up using my link…so if you do decide to sign up, a) thank you! and b) share YOUR link with your friends!!

1 Rose April 18, 2014 at 6:14 am

I would say the Mavi skinny jeans and the polka dot blouse are winners. The others are just kind of meh. Did the polka dot blouse happen to have a brand name? I’ve been looking for one identical to that, with the extra flowy material.

2 Nancy April 18, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I’m with Rose. But I do love those black pants, too!
Nancy recently posted..Spiffykerms Style Easter Edition

3 Courtney April 20, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Yes! It’s Daniel Rainn :)

4 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog April 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

I’ve heard of Stitch Fix but didn’t know how it worked. Really cool! I personally don’t like the process of shopping, so I feel like this program would work great for me.

I love the polka dot top, the jeans, trousers and the flowy top on the right. Great buys – I’m going to look into Stitch Fix, because I start my new job on Monday and don’t know how much time I’ll have to shop :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Return to NYC

5 Kaitlyn April 18, 2014 at 7:11 am

If you’re really in love with the black pants (and if the price is reasonable), I would keep them :). I know I hold on tight to any work clothes I find that are at all comfortable….and I feel like black pants are one of those things that you can never really have too many pairs of since they’re so versatile!

6 Shel@PeachyPalate April 18, 2014 at 7:25 am

You did well! One of the best Stitch Fixes I’ve seen by far!!! Love the trousers with the cute shoes too! KEEP em!

7 Stacey M. April 18, 2014 at 8:05 am

Wow, what a great Fix! I love that you clearly specified you weren’t interested in expensive tops. I feel the same way … I’d rather spend my money on well-fitting bottoms (jeans, pants, etc.) than a top any day. Like you, I absolutely HATE jean shopping. It usually takes me an entire DAY to find jeans I like, that fit right and most importantly, are LONG enough. Even the “long” jeans I buy are sometimes too short. Oh the troubles of being a taller girl …

Anyway, I definitely love the black and white polka-dot top you’re keeping. I also like the blue top, but arm pit holes that are too large are no good. If you could get a smaller size, that would be great. I would definitely keep the skinny jeans as well – they look great on you.

Thank you for sharing your Stitch Fix with us! I look forward to more of these posts in the future. : )

8 Suzanne @ Mrs Mix it April 18, 2014 at 8:05 am

I actually love the blue sleeveless top on you. The color is very flattering. It does look a tiny bit big but I think a bandeau top under it could be really cute! The jeans are also keepers and I’m digging the black trousers as well! A great first fix!!!

Oh, and let’s talk about this hot little post baby body you are rocking! You look incredible!!!
Suzanne @ Mrs Mix it recently posted..Monday Meal Planning

9 Leigha @ Minougirl April 18, 2014 at 8:24 am

Gahh I need to try this Stitch Fix!! I hate shopping for myself because I never know what to try on but this would be perfect since everything’s picked out for you! I HATE shopping for jeans – the ones you got are so cute!!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – First Track Meet

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 18, 2014 at 8:27 am

They definitely put together a great package for you! Honestly, I like everything except that first, extra-long top. I say keep the trousers your iffy on – not a bad thing to have an extra pair of classic pants like that!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 04/18/14.

11 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie April 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

It’s incredibly hard for me to find jeans or pants that fit me well. They are either too short, or fine in the length but too big in the waist. All the pants/jeans that I’ve gotten in my Stitch Fix boxes fit me perfectly! I’ve raved to my stylist about this, so she knows to send me good pants with each box now.

12 Chrissy @ Pink Polish and Running Shoes April 18, 2014 at 8:58 am

Love the polka dot shirt. It looks adorable on you! I’d keep the crops. A good pair of pants are hard to find and I feel like you’d get a lot of use out of a basic black pair. It never hurts to have more pants, right?

13 Traci April 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

I think I totally agree with your picks – the jeans, the trousers, and the polka dot top! I’d say go for the trousers especially since you can wear them to work a bunch.

14 Jess @dearhealthyness April 18, 2014 at 9:05 am

The polkadots and mavi jeans, they are gorgeous!!!!! With some red pumps, or red lipstick!! Enjoy your weekend!
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Mud & Mountains

15 Tori April 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

I love the polka dot top; so cute on you! And I got a pair of jeans from stich fix too back in September and they are my all time FAV. I’m with you on being willing to spend more for a good pair of jeans; it can make all the difference of how you feel when you’re struttin’ it out! :-)
Tori recently posted..Easy Peasy French Dip Sandwiches

16 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

Love the pants!! You’ll definitely get plenty of wear out of them! I say keep them both, and the polka dot top. Go big or go home, right? ;)
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..A Quick Foodie Adventure at Thai X-ing

17 Linz @ Itz Linz April 18, 2014 at 9:38 am

i haven’t done stitch fix yet mainly because i thought it’d be silly to while pregnant – now i may have to try it!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Urban Maternity Photo Shoot

18 Brynn April 18, 2014 at 9:41 am

I love both pants, the crops are super cute! Your orange top is really cute as well, such a fun color. One day I’ll try SF, but I can’t pull the trigger just yet.
Brynn recently posted..Friday Favorites {4/18}

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

I agree with you about the tops–definitely like the middle one best!

Keep the black pants–can never have too many!

20 Carla April 18, 2014 at 10:22 am

The $20 thing is what makes me hesitant as well. I’m going to try it one time and if I don’t like anything or it’s totally out of my price range ten I’ll just not do it again. But I think it will be fun to try once. I do like the black polka dotted shirt.
Carla recently posted..Five on Friday! #5

21 Annette@FitnessPerks April 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

The jeans look awesome on you!

I like the polka dot top too, but the rest I’d probably send back. Stitch Fix sounds fun!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Things

22 Nancy April 18, 2014 at 11:42 am

Skinny jeans and polka-dot top are so flattering => winners!

Personally, I’d send back the rest but if the crop trousers are a really good deal, might consider.

23 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

I’m totally with you – that polka dot top is adorable!!! I was trying to decide between Fabletics and StitchFix a while back – I ended up going with the workout gear but I really want the StitchFix account, too!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..How The Week Went Down

24 Polly @ Tasty Food Project April 18, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I really like that polka dot top! I’ve heard of Stitch Fix but never looked much into it. Hope you have a great weekend!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..Lime and Cumin Salmon & Meet Your New Volunteer!

25 Emily @ Life on Food April 18, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Your two favorites are my two favorites. I am still debating about joining. At first I thought it was an every month thing but I have since learned you can stagger the shipments. It makes it much more doable for me.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Buttermilk Biscuits

26 Nicole April 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm

You can never have enough classic pants! I say keep’em both! I mean, what if your little man throws sweet potatoes on you or something? You’re gonna want another pair to put on! ;)

Happy Friday! Happy weekend!

27 Kellie April 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm

You SHOULD keep the first top! It looks great on you! Just add a belt to cinch it and the extra fabric will look natural. Just pair with leggings.
So how does that work? How do you find out how much the prices were for each item? Do you mind sharing so I can see how it works?

28 Courtney April 18, 2014 at 2:08 pm

When you create your style profile, you choose which “price range” you’d prefer for each type of item to be in (jackets, dresses, tops, jeans, bottoms, accessories, etc.). You don’t know the actual price of the item until it arrives, and they’re all listed out as line items on an invoice. Does that help? :)

29 Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 18, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I like the blue top a lot, you could always wear a cardigan over it :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Robinson Lane Jewelry: The Perfect Gift

30 Cheri @ Overactive Blogger April 18, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I would LOVE to sign up for something like this, but I’m hesitating for now because I’ve been spending a decent amount of money on things for our wedding in August – I want to wait until after then to sign up for Julep and Stitchfix.
Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..I’m not sure I ever knew this about myself…

31 Danielle April 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm

You should delete the return label. It has your address on it.you don’t want any creepers showing up at your house…

32 Britt@MyOwnBalance April 18, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I like that polka dot top! I like Stitch Fix a lot but I would love to see more variety and colors in their selections!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Friday’s Food & Fitness: Snack Attack Plus a Helpout

33 Marielle April 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm

That polka dot top looks super cute on you!
Marielle recently posted..Stair Workout

34 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 18, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Really love both pairs of pants! I Have been wanting to try StichFix out for quite some time!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Things I’m Loving Friday

35 Mckenzie April 19, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hi Courtney!

I’m a long time reader but first time commenter. I love those black pants! They are super flattering. Can you let us know what brand they are? I totally want them! Thank you!!

36 Courtney April 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Mckenzie! They’re by Margaret M :)

37 Lisa April 19, 2014 at 7:12 am

I’ve been wondering about placing a Stitch Fix order myself, but was unsure. Thanks for letting me know what I can expect (now I will have to place an order). I love the polka dot top. Looks great on you. As for the pants I’d say if you’re happy with them and will wear them to pieces then keep them both (who cares if you have a similar pair). Thanks again for posting.

38 Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely April 19, 2014 at 10:20 am

To be honest, I think they all look good! But I definitely think the 2 you liked are keepers! I love the blue top too, but I can’t tell if it’s big under the arms or not. If so, I think that would make me self conscious the whole time I had it on, so definitely send it back if that’s the case. ;-)
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..Plans, Pins, and Posts–Round 2

39 Runner Girl Eats April 21, 2014 at 6:26 am

Cute picks! I have heard that the first fix is usually the worst then they get better once your stylist learns your likes/dislikes but it looks like they did a good job on your right from the start. Love the polka dot shirt!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Easter in three

40 char eats greens April 22, 2014 at 8:00 am

Absolutely LOVE that middle top too!! I so would love to try this if I lived in the states!!
char eats greens recently posted..saturday stories: what running 7 days in a row did to/for me

41 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen April 23, 2014 at 4:56 am

I haven’t caved yet…but I want to try Stitch Fix so bad!! Everything looks great on you Courtney :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Green Goddess Salad with Avocado Dill Dressing