Sneak Peek at Whole Foods of Albany!

Yesterday afternoon, I was lucky enough to attend an exclusive media preview tour of the new Whole Foods that’s coming to Albany!

The store will be open Mon-Sun from 8am – 10pm.

As I mentioned before, I’ve been to different Whole Foods locations a couple of times, but never got the chance to really browse the store in its entirety and really see what it’s all about. Granted, the store wasn’t fully stocked yet when we were there yesterday, but I was able to learn quite a bit.

(Those of you who are Whole Foods veterans are probably going to find that this is no news to you. But for the others – especially locals who may not be too familiar with the store – I figured I’d share some of the knowledge I came away with yesterday!)

A good amount of the produce found in store is both organic and sourced from local and regional farms. They’re also big on food not going to waste so, for example, if you needed a butternut squash but only wanted half of one, they’ll cut it for you in store so you only have to pay for what you need. Everything can be fully customized.

Their meat department features real butchers in-house, allowing customers to custom order anything they desire — from roasts, to chops…even turduckensMmm hmmm.

All of their meats that are cut to order following the Global Animal Partnership’s 5-step welfare program, and are always free of antibiotics and added hormones.

And I think, quite possibly, one of the things that I’m most excited about is their 5 for $25 deal; pick any 5 items on the list below for just $25.00!

The one continuous theme that continued to remain throughout the store was local. Everywhere you turned, there were signs and tags for local items, coming from one of the 52 local vendors that were sourced just for this specific location.

Oh, and the cheese? Oh. My. Goodness.

Fun facts: They will open up anything in the store that you want to try and sample in-house before buying. They’ll custom cut any cheeses as well, so you’re only getting what you need. And all of the cheese stocked are rbST free with no antibiotics.

Unfortunately, the hot/cold bars weren’t yet stocked while we were there, which I’m sure is where I’ll easily be able to drop some cash monies when I visit once again.

The bakery was up and running though, and is also set to be featuring plenty of local, gluten-free vendors as well. All of their in-house bakery items are made without refined sugar, bleached flour, artificial colors, or preservatives.

The Albany location is going to be featuring a variety of cream pies, as well as homemade ice cream sandwiches. Ohhh, heck yes.

And in addition to the bakery, the Albany store also has a few more “specialty” offerings, including cheesesteaks, hearty salads, and pizzaaaaa.

While others in the group were looking around and asking various questions, I was just standing in the back, taking selfies with my pizza.

Finally, our tour concluded at my most anticipated spot…the juice bar!

I’ll tell ya…if produce didn’t cost so much (and take up so much space in my fridge) and I thought I’d actually use a juicer, I would totally drink juices like this every. single. day.

But, being a realist, I know that I’d probably use a juicer like, twice, and then be done with it. Sooo, for now, I’ll just have to get my fix at Whole Foods. 😉

I got myself a “Green Passion” juice, which I *believe* was apple, kale, parsley, celery, spinach, and cucumber. So light, so refreshing, so freakin’ delicious.

We were all gifted a little goody bag on our way out, featuring a few products from local vendors (including one of my favorite local PB companies!)

I’m excited to head back when they’re officially open so I can do a little shopping…and yes, I think now that it’ll be worth braving the crowds. 😉

To the Whole Foods vets…what are some of your must-haves? Anything you’d recommend to a newbie shopping there for the first time?

Basically, Whole Foods sounds amazing! I’ve only been to the store one time. I love the fact that everything is fully customizable and that you can try out certain things before you make a purchase. They really do cater to their customers! Bottom line, I need to get to Whole Foods again despite the fact that it’s a bit of a drive to get there.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..19 Weeks – A Rough One

2. Tierney says

We love Whole Foods! The two best things (other than the cheese samples of course) are the meat department (OMG such good sausages and premade burgers) and the hot/cold bar. I could live off of the hot/cold bar!

The iced pumpkin cookies are a definite must. I also love the jalepeno Mac and cheese that is sometimes on the hot food bar. And if your store carries Purely Elizabeth granola, don’t pass it up! It is slightly pricey, but it’s so so good- and it’s free of refined sugars! I have a Whole Foods in my college town but not at home so I’m missing it right now!

4. Traci says

Exciting! I love basically everything at WF. Since you already know about the hot/cold bars (THE best), here are some other finds I’ve been loving there lately: hard-to-find bars, especially from The Good Bean (made of chicpeas but so good), WF brand hummus, peanut butter you can grind in-house, and the bulk bins. I also love the WF brand wasabi rice crackers and the sandwiches at the deli counter.

5. Krystina says

My husband and I are pretty much obsessed with Whole Foods. I could eat their salad bar everyday! And we are lucky enough to have a Whole Foods right around the corner from us that is like no other. There is a sports bar inside that has 12 rotating taps and another bar inside with 6 more taps. They always have the best craft beers! And there is a wine bar upstairs that allows you to put money on a card and just pick your wine and serve yourself. I’m borderline embarrassed with how many times we go there a week. 😉

hahahah just standing in the back taking selfies with my pizza. LOVE IT!! I wish we had a Whole Foods in my area… until then, I will just live vicariously through you! I’m with you on the juicing thing. I feel like for time and convenience, buying a juice is the way to go!

I love Whole Foods and would love to go to a store preview! I am lucky enough to live quite close to a store. I find the bulk section offers great bargains. The hot/deli bar is great and don’t forget that they are happy to give you samples of any of the salads or items before you buy. Their monthly deal circular offers great coupons. I signed up for the email coupons and they will send you store specific and email subscriber only coupons as well. Great ways to save a bit of money….so you can treat yourself at the juice bar! :)
    Kate @ Kate Lives Healthy recently posted..New York City Recap

I’m also a Whole Foods (and Trader Joe’s newbie) – I had NO idea they did this “They’re also big on food not going to waste so, for example, if you needed a butternut squash but only wanted half of one, they’ll cut it for you in store so you only have to pay for what you need.”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant.
    Nancy recently posted..Fitness recap: Ten K’s, yoga and bouldering

I’ve only been to one whole foods and it was when I was in London, UK. I didn’t have much time so I browsed super quickly but knew I could have stayed there for hours! I remember grabbing a juice there too and it was awesome! We have no whole foods here in Quebec but I’m going to Virginia Beach in July and I already looked where was the closest WF haha I’m pathetic but I’m spoil excited to go!

10. Holly says

I love living in Austin Tx!! We have three Whole Foods alone!! (Plus sprouts, natural grocers, and trader joes). The headquarters downtown is huge and glorious! If you are ever down here, you have to visit! We love Topo Chico (imported Mexican mineral water), grind yourself nutter butters, Zing bars (dark chocolate coconut), chicken tortilla soup at the soup bar, their meats for sure, Jessicas gluten free almond cherry granola, desert pepper salsas and bean dips, juice bar, love bean fudge (, the bakery, and the list goes on!! :-)

11. Amy says

The make your own nut butter station!! My husband and I will go just for that :) the honey roasted PB is my fave.

12. lauren says

My favorite things to buy are produce (it’s awesome), organic chicken and grass fed ground beef – 3+lbs and you save 50 cents a pound. I also buy nuts, bulk stuff sometimes, gf pasta , their ice cream (rbgh free), dairy…I get a lot of staples. I appreciate all the organic and gmo free options.
    I go regularly and shop the perimeter, which is comparable to stop & shop for me, but it is easy to go nuts, so you need to go in there with a plan.