Lucas Turns One!

On Saturday night, I put Lucas to bed for the last time before he officially turned one year old.

Lucas Birthday Eve

By the way, Jay totally gave me a hard time for wanting to take a picture of him with the flash while he was sleeping because he was convinced it would wake him up. Pretty sure it almost did, but I don’t regret getting a pic of him on his birthday eve!

On Sunday morning, we woke up to rain. Buckets and buckets of rain. For a good couple of hours. Lucas’s party was set to start at 12, and while the weather forecast was saying that the skies were going to clear up, it was certainly cutting it close.

By about 11am, the rain let up, the clouds dissipated, the skies turned blue. I could hardly believe it. So we scrambled like mad to get everything set up outside! I didn’t take as many photos of everything as I had hoped, but ahh well…what are ya gonna do?!

nautical first birthday decor

For Lucas’s decorations and invitations, I got all of the printable items, as well as some customized pieces, from The Lovely Apple Etsy shop.

nautical first birthday decor

They were absolutely AMAZING to work with and their work is just incredible. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for party decorations.

nautical first birthday decor

Their printable party pack came with a ton of stuff, including water bottle labels. They may have been the most tedious to do (I just bought a case of water, ripped off the old labels, then printed/cut/taped on the birthday labels), but as crazy as it sounds, I think they were one of my favorites!

nautical first birthday decor

I tried to throw some fun touches in here and there with our nautical theme, including goldfish, Swedish fish, and silverware wrapped in “life savers” and twine.

nautical first birthday decor

We had “Ocean Water Punch” (1 gallon blue Hawaiian Punch, 1 2L Sprite, 1 64oz. white grape juice), with some mixers on the side for the adults. I also created a time capsule where everyone could write Lucas a note for him to read on his 18th birthday.

ocean water punch time capsule

However, thinking about the fact that he will actually be 18 some day boggles my mind so we’re just gonna skip right past that.

We had plenty of food to go around, and both my mom and mother-in-law were huge helpers in that.

IMG_7648-001

For desserts, we had sugar cookies with royal icing (which both of my parents helped me with on Saturday – whew, talk about a job!) which tasted just like the store bought ones. No joke.

nautical sugar cookies

For the kiddos (and some of the adults!), we had ocean water Jell-o cups with orange slice “boats.”

nautical jello boat cups

And, of course, there was cake!

nautical first birthday cake

We went ahead and gave the birthday cake another try

He contemplated…

But that was about it. Gah!

Outside of a couple small bites of the cake and some of the raspberry filling, the child wanted nothing to do with it. Especially the frosting…he is not a fan.

Then again, I guess I couldn’t blame him. Who’s want to sit all alone in their high chair when they have their friends over to play?!

I’m kicking myself for not getting a better picture of it, but I got Lucas the cutest shirt from RyleighRoo (you can see a full pic of it here) for his special day.

Speaking of cute…a water table full of babies?!

Doesn’t get much sweeter than that. Winking smile

Our party was slated to end at 3pm and right about 2:50pm, the thunder started rolling in so everyone got out of the pool and started heading back home. By about 3:15pm, the skies opened up and the storms rolled through. I couldn’t believe it…the entire window for our party was bright blue, sunny skies. To say we got lucky would be a major  understatement!

It was an absolutely great day, we all had a blast, and were all equally pooped by the end of it all.

So now, with the madness of party planning behind me (and an almost complete bathroom!), I’m hoping I’ll finally have some time to get back to some normalcy…a little more time for blogging, some more time for workouts (umm yeah, gotta re-do week 4 of T25 since that never happened!), hopefully some meal planning, and maybe even a little down time. Woo Hoo!

Comments

1. Lindsay says

I love this party theme so much. It is adorable.

I though I’d chime in on the whole not liking cake thing. I actually really disliked cake up until very recently. I’d eat certain types, but birthday cake was out. The reason was because it was too dry so I could usually eat a small amount IF I had it with ice cream to moisten it up. Maybe that would solve your problem?

Until and unless he develops a taste for it, I guess that’s more cake for you :)

2. Stacey M. says

So glad to hear the weather cleared up and then held out for Lucas’ big day. It’s so hard to plan outdoor events … you never can count on the weather. I love all the little details you included for the party – I would never have thought of a nautical theme for a kid’s birthday party, but I will definitely keep that one in mind for the future. Very cute stuff, and I love that you had Swedish fish and Goldfish crackers haha.

Here’s to hoping you get some of that down-time this week. I was just telling my fiance and my mother this weekend that while I absolutely LOVE summer, it is without a doubt the busiest time of the year for us New Yorkers. We only really get about 4 months of nice weather and everyone tries to stuff in as many events as possible into those four months – no wonder we’re all so busy! I don’t think I’ve had a free weekend since the beginning of May. I’m trying to soak it all in though … because I know that “white stuff” will be here before we know it. UGH.

3. Stacey M. says

Oh … and I forgot to say “Happy Birthday Lucas!” Even though I don’t “know” you personally, I feel like I’ve watched you grow up this past year. Thanks Courtney (and Jay!) for sharing his special moments and letting us take a peak into your world.

4. Ruthie Hart says

I cant believe he is one! This means Ford is going to be one soon! I love his party theme, you had so much creative touches. Happy birthday Lucas!

5. Julia says

What a fun party, I love the theme! How crazy that the weather cooperated exactly when you needed it to. Looks like everyone had so much fun and, I agree, a water table full of babies is too cute.

I am absolutely in love with your decorations! So many cute details! I love the fishing (are they called…?) bobbins in the drink dispenser! Adorable!

Happy 1st birthday, Lucas!

Whew….no wonder you were feeling a little overwhelmed last week. Maybe you missed your calling and should be in the party planning business! Holy crow, that was the most amazing first birthday theme I’ve ever seen. Awesome! What a lucky little boy! Happy Birthday Lucas!

I must say you did an AMAZING job with hist 1st birthday party!!! I always loved/admired the Etsy party decorations, but getting all the little details together seem so daunting, honestly! So, a Huge Kudos to you for getting it done! My little Ethan just turned 6 months and I’m already (slightly overwhelmed) thinking about planning his 1st bday. Lol. I think we (moms) sometimes put a bit too much pressure on ourselves to get everything together and have everything go perfectly when usually, if you just breathe and let things fall together in their own time, they usually do, prayerfully. :-) Yea, I’m still working on that “just breathe & trust part,” but I digress. 😉 Happy Birthday Lucas!!!

9. Nicole says

Happy first anniversary of being a Mommy!! :)

Looks like a terrific day! The weather gods were definitely in your favor! Hope you have a great start to the week!

10. Kari S. says

I can’t even handle Lucas’ face in the photo of you 3 with his cake!! I literally kept scrolling back up to look at it……at least 5 times! OMG soooooooo funny!

Courtney, you did a wonderful job with all the decorations, and the theme is adorable! And also…is Lucas human?! Lol, just kidding. It’s just really strange to find a baby/child not liking cake. 😛 Happy birthday to Lucas and I hope for many more blessed ones to come!

Trackbacks