Chewy Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

by Courtney on October 2, 2010

I think it’s safe to say that my obsession for pumpkin may be closely matched with my obsession for Heath bars in baking. :shock:

And these babies came together like a gem last night!

I was asked to bring “some baked goods” for our trip down to the Army vs. Temple game today, so I decided that cookies would be the easiest to transport.

I haven’t been too happy with my usual chocolate chip cookie recipes lately, so I decided to go searching for something new. After browsing a bit through the internet, I came across a recipe that I had high hopes for…

…and it really did not disappoint! The cookies are so incredibly soft and chewy, but with the perfect crunch along the edge. Slightly undercooking them gives them that “doughy” appeal, which if you’re anything like me, you just can’t get enough of.

The addition of the Heath bars brings the flavor to a whole other level, thanks to the tiny toffee shavings that end up getting mixed throughout the entire batter. If I can give you two pieces of advice, it will be this:

1. Make these cookies ASAP.
  2. Don’t keep the whole batch for yourself. You will eat them ALL.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

(adapted from allrecipes.com)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup Toffee Heath Bar bits
  • 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.

3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

4. Stir in the chocolate chips and Heath bar bits by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough with a cookie scoop onto the prepared cookie sheets.

5. Bake larger cookies for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. ENJOY! :-D

I know I sure will be today!

1 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ October 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

Yay! You posted the cookie recipe.

2 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews October 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

Yum! Those look great and super soft!

3 Liz @ LBBakes October 2, 2010 at 11:41 am

These look great! I just made a similar cookie last week – love the salty crunch of the toffee bits!

4 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) October 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Agree with you on heath bars!! Those bits are so good on frozen yogurt too!!

5 claire June 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

just happened to find your blog… and so happy i did! looks amazing!

6 Shari December 31, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I made these last night minus the chocolate chips. I just doubled the Heath bits to replace them. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!! I will be linking you up on my blog soon!

7 Jack May 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm

this recipe is marvelous! My best friend and i just made this the other day and they are a real crowd pleaser. An all around good recipe for the whole family to enjoy!! A must make recipe!

8 Herald May 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm

this cookie was a littel too moist for my liking. This recipe was not every specific and i ended up burning all of my cookies. i would recommend you go to my blog to see what changes on this recipe.

9 Lauren July 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

These are the BEST cookies! Everytime I make them I get the most wonderful feedback! It’s a new staple at our family get togethers, i made them for the 4th and they went so fast that my husband only got one and so he requested I make another batch just for us haha. I have no will power when they are in the house, awesome cookies!!

10 Amanda October 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

can’t thank you enough for sharing this recipe…just got them out of the oven and they are sooo delicious! i might eat them all.

11 Courtney October 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

YAY!! Enjoy! :)

12 Jessica October 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

How do you get the chocolate chips to not melt when you stir them into the batter? The cookies turned out tasting like they are supposed to (I think!) but there were no whole chocolate chips in mine like the cookies in your pictures! :)

13 Courtney October 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hmmm, I don’t know? I never ran into that problem! Maybe I take a little longer to get my batter together so it had cooled down a bit by then?

14 Jessica October 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for replying!! Yeah I was actually in the process of making the cookies when I made that comment last night so with my second batch to go in the oven I added more chips to the batter and they stayed whole! Next time I will just wait a little bit longer before I add my chocolate chips. The cookies were still a hit with my husband and kiddos. :)

15 Tara November 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I just have to say I make these cookies all the they are the best! My whole family loves them. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Some times I add colored sprinkles to the top the kids love them!

16 Haley S November 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Cookies are going in the oven RIGHT NOW! (: Thank you so much! Sending these to family for Thanksgiving (:

17 Karen April 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

Can I add cocoa powder to the recipe and how much should I add?

18 Courtney April 7, 2013 at 7:45 am

I’m not sure I would add cocoa powder…maybe just try extra chocolate chips?

19 Nancee July 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Making them now! So excited!!!

20 Lori September 29, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Just made these amazing cookies. As I started I realized I didn’t have enough brown sugar. Added 1 cup White sugar to 1 Tbls of Organic Molasses to create the brown sugar. I had miniature heath bar candies so I just chopped those up. Baked for 11 Minutes as I prefer a chewy cookie. They are fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I will watch for the big after Halloween Candy sale and pick up some more heath bar candy to make these again.
Again, thank you for sharing.

21 Lauren December 24, 2013 at 5:31 am

I just made these tonight for a part of my Christmas goodie package at family gatherings. They turned out really good! I substituted the Heath Bar bits for just the Heath bit o brickle toffee bits and kept the chocolate chips. I thought they would have been too chocolaty but I feel they could have used a little more. I’ll try it with regular Heath bits next time. Thank you for this recipe! I’m sure it will become a favorite!

22 Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 1:18 am

This is the second time I made these cookies!! I use a bit less chocolate&heath but, they always turn out delicious.. This is def one of my favorite cookies!