Comfort Food Back Home

by Courtney on October 18, 2010

After a long hard day of work, (especially being a Monday), there are certain things that just totally appeal to my senses:

• My big cozy couch
  • Changing into my sweats as quickly as possible
  • A nice chilled glass of wine
  • Or, depending on the day, a nice cold beer ;)
  • Coming home to my boys
  • Turning on the Food Network/Scrubs reruns/catching up on the DVR
  • Reading a magazine

As nice as these things you see above are, there’s one more thing that will totally take precedence over them all…going home for Mom’s Cooking!

Tonight, Jay and I headed over to my parents’ house for a delicious home cooked meal. But it wasn’t just any meal. Oh no my friends…

Mom broke out her homemade sauce for a full chicken parm dinner! :mrgreen: My tummy had seriously been grumbling for it all.day.long.

Seriously. Just look at all that cheese! Comfort food at its finest. :)

Before I continue, let me quickly take a moment to share with you exactly why this situation was so wonderful:

• I went and ate dinner in my “cozies” because, hey, it’s my parents. They’re not ones to judge!
  • I got to spend time with my parents (who I haven’t gotten to see nearly as much as I’d like these days…)
  • I also got to see my fave brother and Meg!

• There are few foods on the face of this Earth I enjoy more than my mom’s homemade sauce.
  • I had a delicious, home cooked meal…and I didn’t have to do any of the cooking. ;)

Here’s my plate! I ate probably 2/3 of it?…Ok, maybe 3/4. ;)

Believe it or not, I actually requested the tiny piece…yes, that’s the tiny piece! :shock:

And of course, with all that delicious sauce, you’re going to need a big fantastic side of pasta. No whole grain pasta in this house. Oh no…I’m almost positive that when I first moved out, that’s one of the first things they switched back to. ;) Hey, sometimes, nothin’ beats some regular ‘ol ziti noodles, am I right?

And at this point, when you still have loads of delicious sauce hanging out on your plate, what’s a few more carbs to soak it all up with. ;)

I’ll tell ya it’s a good thing I don’t eat like this everyday…otherwise I’m not sure I’d fit through my front door. :shock: But for a once-in-a-while treat, there’s really nothing better than Mom’s homemade chicken parm. Yummmm. :-P

Question for the Evening:

Do you have a favorite meal from growing up that someone made/makes for you?

1 Amy @ VitaminAmy October 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Is that Mastroianni bread?!

2 Courtney October 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Yes it is!! :-D

3 Lauren October 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Mmm that chicken parm looks out of this WORLD good!

Oh jeez.. growing up my Grandma made (and to this day, still makes) the best spaghetti meat sauce. I’ve tried and tried to duplicate it but I have yet to be successful!

Plus my stepdad taught me how to make homemade tortilla chips and salsa. Yum yum!

Enjoy the rest of your night!

4 Liz @ LBBakes October 18, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Oh my gosh, I want that meal!

5 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 18, 2010 at 9:16 pm

YUM! Your Mom sure knows how to cook up a FANTASTIC lookin’ meal :D
I’m sure it tasted just as good as it looks!
I would have to say, as LAME as it sounds, my meal of choice anytime is Kraft Macaroni & Cheese- just the original kind. I don’t know what it is, but I LOVE the stuff. I think it reminds me of my childhood. So delish!

6 Darcy Pogue October 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Wow, I don’t even care for chicken parm, but that REALLY looks good! I love my Mom’s homemade sauce too!
One of my favorite meals growing up (I always requested it as my “birthday dinner”) was baked chicken, corn and Mom’s homemade rice pilaf. She made the pilaf with rice and these really thin noodles and the chicken broth/juices……..it was really yummy!!!!

7 Savannah P October 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm

First of all I love that you just said “cozies,” that is so cute!
I’m not a big chicken parm fan, but I feel like I’d devour everything on your plate. There’s something so special about a home cooked meal.

My mom makes the best stuffed peppers ever for me every time I come home. And pumpkin bread. It means so much that she always has these things ready when she knows I’m on my way.

8 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous October 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I love going home to Mom’s meals. My fav is definitely mac and cheese but her chicken parm is definitely good too!

9 erica October 18, 2010 at 11:07 pm

don’t you love going home for some home cookin’?!? there are so many things my mom made that i LOVE…your chicken parm looks deeeelish!

10 Charlie October 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm

As a child, my favorites were shepherd’s pie and my grandmother’s meat pie!

11 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ October 19, 2010 at 5:53 am

The chicken parm looks oh so good! In our family, I love when my mom makes her Sicilian pizza or pasta al forno loaded with lots of goodness.

12 Heather T October 19, 2010 at 6:39 am

I <3 your mom's sauce :)

13 Kelly October 19, 2010 at 8:52 am

YES! My mom makes the best shrimp creole. It is the one meal I request over and over and over!!

14 CaSaundra October 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

I agree–mom’s cooking is best. Ahh that meals looks to-die-for..I bet it smelled GREAT when you walked into the house!

15 Vanessa October 19, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I totally agree that nothing is better than Mom’s homemade cooking. I also agree that is good I don’t eat it everyday cause I’d be eating too much good ol’ southern cooking. My mom uses real butter, whole milk, no low fat, or any really anything considered healthy. It’s a good thing we were active kids!! But boy is it good to go home and gobble her food up! It’s pure love on a plate.

16 Duchess of Fork October 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm

My all-time favorite is my Granny’s Chicken and Sausage Gumbo! I still request it for my birthday. :)