Cinnamon Chip Scones

by Courtney on February 20, 2011

I have a secret to share with you all…

I never used to like scones.

I always found them to be too dry, and just not quite sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

But all of that went out the window the day I made these.

This recipe for Cinnamon Chip Scones is the only one that I’ve ever had that could provide the texture and sweetness that I desire in a baked treat.

They come out so incredibly moist, I’d say they’re more comparable to a muffin-cookie combo, rather than a scone.

This recipe actually came with me from when I lived with my parents, so it’s been around for a while. I actually can’t remember the last time I made them, but I’m sure my waistline probably thanks me.

They’re decadent. And pretty much impossible to eat just one.

So if you’ve ever shunned scones like I once did, please give them another chance…

You’ll fall in love. Just like I did.

They’re good to the very last crumb. Winking smile

***********************

Start by combining your dry ingredients.

Then add in your buttermilk,

and mix until just moistened.

Next, fold in your chips. Cinnamon chips can be very difficult to find, but any chips work well in this recipe – chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, etc.

IMG_0472IMG_0477

Now, get those muscles ready and gently knead your dough until it’s no longer sticky.

Divide the dough in half and gently pat into 7-inch circles.

Now brush your dough circles with the metled butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar.

IMG_0481IMG_0482

Using a pizza cutter, cut each circle in your desired number of wedges,

and separate on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 425 degrees for length of time matched to number of wedges in recipe above.

Mmmmm mmmmm!

I snagged one immediately after taking them out of the oven this morning and enjoyed it with a nice hot mug of coffee.

And now, if you’ll excuse me…I think it’s about time to go grab another one.

They’re too tasty to leave alone! Smile

Question for the Day:

Do you like scones??

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I LOVE scones!! These look AMAZING!! I am drooling…seriously bookmarking this RIGHT now! Man alive they look DELISH! You are a GENIUS girl! :D
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..I have a question

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Always looking for new scone recipes! These look so decadent – yum!!

3 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’ve always had an issue with dry scones. These look sooo good!
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Priorities

4 Amanda @ Fashionably Plate February 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I love scones! I have tried tons of recipes and they always seem to come out way too dry and hard :( I will definitely be trying this recipe soon!
Amanda @ Fashionably Plate recently posted..Thriveday Recap- Kiss and Tell

5 The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook February 1, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I had the same, exact problem! (see my comment below!) My scones were all tough, chewy, and rock-hard. But I finally found sweet, buttery, tender success! :D

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook recently posted..The Best, Most Perfect Scone Recipe… Ever!!!

6 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’ve never had a scone now that I think of it! Ahh, a crime. ;)

7 Lauren February 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love scones and I cannot wait to try these… I have never seen Cinnamon chips at the store though… Where did you get them?
Lauren recently posted..The Best Banana Bread

8 Courtney February 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hannaford!

9 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’d like THOSE scones! ;)

10 Emily February 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Those look fantastic! I’m really picky about scones too, because they can definitely be too dry. If I’m drinking tea or coffee, sometimes I like to dip them in it :) LOVE THOSE CINNAMON CHIPS TOO! They’re fantastic… I’ve put them in banana bread and they just add a little something special :D

11 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

oh my gosh! how amazing are scones- SUCH great texture!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

12 Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve NEVER had a scone! Sad, but true. Where did you find cinnamon chips?? I’ve never seen them at the grocery store, but I’m imagining lots of delicious recipes using them!

13 Courtney February 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

They were at my local Hannaford grocery store.

14 The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook February 1, 2013 at 5:12 pm

They’re a seasonal item only sold during the holidays :( So I always stock up at Central Market at the beginning of January. But you could also order them online! They’re delicious!

15 Melissa February 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m not a big scone fan, but anything cinnamon definitely appeals. From what you said about this recipe, I might have to give ‘em a go!
Melissa recently posted..I Heart Charlottesville

16 Karen February 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Those look delicious! I have never had a scone before! I think I would love the cinnamon chips too! Can’t wait to make these and try my first scone!
Karen recently posted..Date with Daddy

17 fsugirl! February 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

My fav. are the vanilla bean scones from Starbucks!

18 erica February 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm

i LOVE scones!
i especially love chocolate chip scones or blueberry scones…
erica recently posted..happy love day!

19 Grace February 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I LOVE scones! They are so good! I especially love anything with cinnamon but here’s the problem. I cannot find cinnamon chip anywhere! it’s very sad. I look every time I go to the grocery store. Love the PC baking stone by the way, they’re awesome!
Grace recently posted..Holiday

20 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love scones, and those look great! mm.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Flashback Friday

21 Nadya February 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love them and your scones are looking delicious… so tasty :) I do them pretty much the same way, but with raisins instead of cinnamon chips. :D

22 Emma February 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

they look delicioso!
Emma recently posted..Are you saying I’m UGLI

23 kate@ahealthypassion February 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m a newfound scone lover myself! I never imagined they would be so delicious, yours look yummy I cannot wait to try them out.
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Light Box

24 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I looove scones! YUM, Court. Great job.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..heart 2 heart

25 Alicia February 20, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Those look great Courtney!! I have never seen cinnamon chips in stores…I neeed to find them!!
Alicia recently posted..Spring Dreams

26 christina February 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Scones are one of my favorite things to eat! These look delish and i will be making them to take to work tomorrow. I have no cinnamon chips, but will sub in white chocolate chips and dried cherries. I don’t think anyone will complain :-)
christina recently posted..Random

27 Mama Kelly aka Jia February 20, 2011 at 9:10 pm

These look delicious and your instructions and photos make it very easy to give it a try.
Mama Kelly aka Jia recently posted..What’s Cooking – Indian Thai Egyptian Food and Vegan Cupcakes

28 Cara February 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m really not a scone person.. but I’m not sure I’ve really given them a fair chance.
Also, I did not know that cinnamon chips existed! This could get dangerous!

29 CaSaundra February 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

This post reminds me that I’ve never tried making scones before, but I am a HUGE fan of these cinnamon chips, so I should definitely put these on my to-do list this week! :-)

30 Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats February 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

OMG – these look SO good! You’re right – most scones are dry and crumbly. I am a much bigger fan of the squishy & moist ones!
Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats recently posted..My Killer Teenage Metabolism

31 Lou Alvarado December 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This post reminds me that I’ve never tried making scones before, but I am a HUGE fan of these cinnamon chips, so I should definitely put these on my to-do list this week! I’ve never had a scone now that I think of it! They are so good!
Lou Alvarado recently posted..Arthritis Tips

32 Katy February 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I just made these…..SO GOOD!!!

33 Abaigeal February 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

These were a hit with the family, they gobbled them up in a day. Sooooo delicious, thank you!

p.s. you can try to make your own cinnamon chips if you look up a recipe, I’ve done it before. Works out pretty good.

34 Susan Bewley@Budget Earth April 28, 2012 at 12:11 am

I can’t wait to try this scone recipe! I tried making scones in the past but they always come out dry. Thanks for the recipe!
Susan Bewley@Budget Earth recently posted..How to Save on Groceries

35 Darcy October 7, 2012 at 12:10 am

I just made these scones! It was a simple recipe and they turned out delicious. I didn’t change a thing in the recipe. Will definitely make again!

36 Tasha January 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I made these today after I received my yearly shipment of Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips from my mom (they’re not sold in stores where I live). This was my first time making scones of any type & it was a huge success. I will definitely be using this recipe to make many scones in the future!

37 The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook February 1, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Mmm! I love scones! I just made some cinnamon chip scones myself! And I’m so used to rock-hard chewy, tough, dry, BLAND scones, but finally, these changed my life!! Finally, a scone that’s buttery, tender, soft, and delicate. Mmm. Literally the best thing that I’ve made. :)

I used a slightly different recipe than yours with less flour – so the dough, and trust me when I say this, was not dry at all! I hope to try yours soon and compare!

38 news September 7, 2013 at 10:19 pm

There’s definately a great deal to learn about this topic.

I really like all of the points you made.
news recently posted..news