My First 10K!

by Courtney on April 30, 2011

At 6:30 this morning, I was up and ready to go!

Before leaving the house, I snacked on a piece of almond butter + banana toast for some pre-race fuel.

By 7:45, I was down at the 10K Spring Run-Off, freezing my tush off.

My girl Eileen and I drove down at the same time this morning and were a little early, so we did what we could to keep warm. You know, hopping around uncontrollably looking like a fool….yup, that was me.

My #1 fan was also there to support me. Smile

By 8:00, the rest of the girls started to arrive!

IMG_2699IMG_2700

Cynthia, Heather, Emily, Me, & Jen

Cynthia & Emily were doing the 5K race that was taking place after our 10K, but they were awesome to come early and cheer us on.

I was so glad that I made a last minute decision to grab a pair of gloves before leaving the house this morning. My Raynaud’s was out of control, so I attempted to keep the digits as warm as I could before the race started.

Soon enough, the announcement was made to start lining up for the race. Holy cow.

But actually, I wasn’t nervous. I think setting the tone for the race last night helped calm any nerves I may have had. Because really…it’s just a race, right? Gotta have fun with it!

Shortly before the race started, we got word that part of the course was flooded so we were going to be re-routed, adding about 1/10th of a mile to our distance. Heyyyy, no big deal.

I guess in that case, I actually WAS close to my original thought that a 10K was 6.4 miles, not 6.2. Thanks to those of you who helped correct that for me. Winking smile

Before I knew it, my legs were movin’ and I was racin’ away! Throughout the duration of the race, I had a few thoughts along the way:

Mile 1: Wasn’t too bad. My calves were pretty tight to start but eventually loosened up a bit. My fingertips were purple at this point and I could not get them to warm up.

Mile 2: Still felt pretty good. Passed by the water station and regretted it shortly after. My fingertips started turning back to white…which is a good sign.

Mile 3: Damn that was a LONG mile. I swear it was longer. By now, my fingertips were pretty much back to normal and I was still feeling strong.

Mile 4: By this point, I took my first break and walked a bit with Jen. I was also pretty bored with my playlist on my iPod by this point, so it was a welcomed change of pace.

Mile 5: I was not looking forward to approaching the muddy re-routed path that we had already encountered back at mile 2. It was gross and really difficult to run in. By this time my hips started to feel a little sore and I kept craving iced coffee…

Mile 6: First thoughts: “Where the hell is the finish line?!? Did they move it farther away???” I was reeeeally ready to be done by this point, but I was feeling proud of how far I’d made it. I took a couple quick walking breaks with Jen again, but shortly before the finish line she booked it. As soon as I saw that finish line in the distance, I smiled. I knew I was going to do it…and then, I dropped my phone on the pavement. Thankfully, it didn’t break, but I had to stop and pick it up, along with the cover that snapped off. Talk about interfering with my mojo!

And then, just like that…I finished!!

I know you wish you all had a picture of yourself that looked like that…wowwwww.

One hour, one minute, and forty-six seconds later, and I had finished my first 10K! I had no idea what to expect for a finishing time, and unfortunately, I let myself get a little bummed when I saw just how close I was to finishing in under an hour. But I only allowed that thought for about 5 seconds, and then just continued to be grateful for the fact that I did what I did at all. Not bad for only training outdoors once AND never running that distance before I suppose!

It was also a good thing I decided to wait until after this race to get new running sneaks…

Eeeeeeew.

We were all so happy to have made it and done well…Hip Hip, HOORAYYYY!

*******

After hanging out for a bit and wishing our 5K racers good luck, I headed out to finally get that iced coffee I had been craving since mile 5.

Jay and I stopped at Bruegger’s for some coffee and a bagel sandwich. I got an egg white and provolone with ham on a sun-dried tomato bagel. It was incredible.

IMG_2720IMG_2722

*******

I’m so happy that I decided to run my first 10K today. It was an amazing experience, and I consider myself very lucky, not only to be able to run it, but also have such great friends to run it with!

Next up…my 15K Boilermaker in July. Ohhh boyyyyy.

Time to go shower and head back out for a little birthday celebration with Heather, Jen, and some pretty awesome blends. See ya laterrrrrr!

1 Shannon, Tropical Eats April 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Great job!!! Love seeing bloggies getting their race on together.

All of that mud just makes you hardcore :)
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Spring- Sprang- Sprung

2 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm

YOU GO GIRL!!!! that does look SUPER COLD! but you rocked it- bagels are the BEST post run fuel!

3 Chad April 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations! It’s always inspiring to hear of running accomplishments. Good work :D
Chad recently posted..Book Club- Day of Snack Making

4 Samantha April 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

AWESOME Job! That’s a great time for your first 10k! Congratulations! Racing is so much fun, you’ll be hooked before you know it!
Samantha recently posted..A Lesson Learned

5 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

YAY! Congrats :D

Awesome finish, too, especially since you never ran that distance before! Would you ever consider doing a marathon?
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sandwichy Day

6 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

At this point, nope! I’ve never had the desire to run one. Then again, they always say “Never say never” right? ;)

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Congrats on the 10 k!! That is too funny that you dropped your phone right before the finish line. I bet that was a big oh **** moment! lol
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

8 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls April 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

CONGRATS! You should be so proud of yourself for finishing and doing so well!! I’m sure it was a relief to be done, you should take it easy the rest of the day :)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Hats On to the Princess

9 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Congrats, Courtney!! What a great accomplishment! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Perfect Artichokes

10 Kelly April 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Awesome!! That profile picture of you warming your hands if gorgeous!! You are such a star!!

11 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

You are too sweet. Thanks, Kel! :)

12 Lara @ six times the yum April 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Congrats on finishing your first 10K! That’s a big accomplishment! Breakfast looks delicious. I absolutely adore Bruegger’s iced coffee and bagels. I’ve never had their sun-dried tomato bagel before, but I think I will the next time I’m there because it looks yummy.
Lara @ six times the yum recently posted..Friday Favorites- April 29

13 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yes, you definitely should try it…it was AWESOME!

14 colleen @ thegiftofmondays April 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

congrats, you did it!!! (as we all knew you would!) great pics and i agree with kelly about the profile pic of you warming your hands is gorgeous!!! i think i’ll enter my first 5K this year…thanks for the inspiration :)
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..poetry friday- Jesus saves

15 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Congrats!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Guest Post- What Katie’s Baking

16 Janae@hungryrunnergirl April 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Ahhhh you did amazing! Congrats girl! I have been thinking about you all morning! Yay for gloves! You look absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!
Janae@hungryrunnergirl recently posted..Shrimp in my eyeball

17 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Awwww, thanks for thinkin’ of me girl! ;)

18 khushboo April 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Woooo congrats for finishing! Its funny how much of a feeling of accomplishment running can give- 2,4,6,or 21 miles- there’s always a sense of pride! Haha and I love how you were craving iced coffee mid-way! Having something yum to look fwd to always helps ;)
khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

19 fsugirl! April 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

GREAT JOB!!! :D

20 Danica April 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Way to go, Courtney!!!

21 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews April 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm

You are so pretty..even that early in the morning : )

22 Jordan April 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Ah so exciting! Congrats! You totally deserved that awesome bagel sandwich and iced coffee :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Jordan recently posted..I’m a Member of the Clean Plate Club

23 Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on a great race! Nice pace.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..GoDo Chocolate- Milk Chocolate Hazelnut

24 Jess April 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Great job! Your poor sneakers! Lol. Can’t wait for the boilermaker!!!! :)

25 ellalinea April 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

With a bagel, you can’t go rong after a race! Congrats with your 10k!
ellalinea recently posted..Eats from here and there

26 Alyssa Kuminski April 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Congrats!! Ughh good thing you didnt get new running shoes before!!!!!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..WiNNiNG

27 Sarah Elizabeth April 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Congratulations! :)

28 Kristi April 30, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Congrats on your run! It looks like you had a great one.
Kristi recently posted..I have a secret

29 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Great job!!! You did fantastic and it looks like a really fun time too.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Undocumented Side

30 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Nice job, girlie!! :)

I ran a half marathon today – and my Raynaud’s was OC for the first couple miles, too. My fingers were WHITE. ugh. Sucks, right?
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Conditions to Run a Half Marathon

31 Heather T April 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Yay, congrats!!

32 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Yay, congrats Courtney! That’s a great time for your first 10k – you’ll break an hour next time.

I’m totally craving Brueggers now – looks delicious!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Easter S’mores

33 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition April 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Congrats on a great race! I think that is the same location of the Hudson Mohawk River Half Marathon which is where I ran my first half-marathon!! You did such a good job!
Jennifer@ knackfornutrition recently posted..Suck It Up Saturday- What We Forget

34 Kimberley April 30, 2011 at 4:44 pm

GOOD JOB girl– :) That is quite an accomplishment!
Kimberley recently posted..Lifes Simple Pleasures

35 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) April 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I’m so proud of you Courtney!!! Awesome job :)

36 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Congratulations! I knew you would be able to do it! But “eww” for all the mud!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A mother’s love and an open heart

37 Melissa April 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm

YAYAYAYAYAYYYYY!!! Knew you could do it! :D

Isn’t it SO weird that Raynaud’s makes your fingers stay numb for that long? You’d think with all that blood pumpin’ that they’d catch up a lot quicker! The only time it really bugs me during a race is if I have to stop to tie a shoe. Takes a lot longer when your fingers are numb!!!
Melissa recently posted..Dollar Store with Dr Oz

38 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Congratulations!!! :D I’m so proud of you!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Here- There and Everywhere

39 Ally (oatsandspice) April 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

CONGRATS on your first 10k! What an accomplishment – I bet it feels so good to finish something that you have worked so hard for!

Get ready to rockkk your 15k soon :) I know you will! Enjoy your Saturday night chica!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Pictures Say 1000 Words

40 ashley April 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm

ummm where did you get your workout capris from? love love love them!!!

41 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Nike Outlet! :)

42 Sarah @ healthygirlrunning April 30, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Congratulations!!! Awesome job on finishing a 10k!! I just finished my first 5k today too! :)

43 Courtney May 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

Congrats to you too!!

44 amanda April 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm

It was great meeting you today! You did amazing – WTG!
amanda recently posted..Achilles Update &amp Useless Info

45 Courtney May 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

Yes! It was great meeting you too! :)

46 Little Miss Runshine April 30, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Great recap! And congrats on your first 10k!!

47 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" April 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Woo hoo! Congrats!! Great recap :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Friday Flaw-Day- The Home Edition

48 Grace April 30, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Congrats! That is so awesome! That bagel sandwich looks like the perfect post run breakfast!
Grace recently posted..My Summer Essentials- First Ever Giveaway!

49 Christina May 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Congrats! Great job :)
Christina recently posted..Clinical vs Community Nutrition

50 Brittney May 2, 2011 at 5:50 am

I’m late reading this, but great job Courtney! You did awesome!! It’s a great feeling to finish that distance, isn’t it? I did my first 10K about a year ago and remember being psyched I did it!
Brittney recently posted..A Lovely Little Birthday

51 Michael May 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

nice job!
see you at the boilermaker!

52 Foxy May 3, 2011 at 5:38 am

Well done! I hope to do my first 10km sometime this year…
Foxy recently posted..My Favourite Belly Dance Blogs

53 Kristen May 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm

awesome job!!!!!!

54 sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

your hubby reminds me a little of Bradley Cooper.. Lucky you ;)