Zonked Out

by Courtney on May 17, 2011

I can happily say that this is the fourth week now that I’ve been dragging my butt out of bed at 5am on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to hit up my beloved BodyPump class.

In these past few weeks of pre-sunrise gym time, there has not been one day where I haven’t felt totally energized and full of productivity. It’s uncanny, really.

Today, however, was a different story…

All throughout class, and even on my drive home, the yawning was nonstop and I just felt tired. I didn’t feel anymore tired than I normally do when I wake up, so I didn’t expect anything to be different.

Whatever the reason, I was pooped. And this was the scene for Jay as he made his way out to the living room. Yup, I zonked out for about 15 minutes which helped…a little. But I’ll tell ya, it’s days like today where I really wish my morning coffee had even the tiniest effect on my energy levels.

(I think my poor lilacs are going to have to hit the trash today…)

Seriously. I could down a mug right before bed and sleep through the night no problem. Caffeine does not seem to effect me in the slightest…which I guess is good and bad?

Breakfast this morning was a favorite of mine: a lightly toasted English muffin with peanut butter, banana slices, chia seeds, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. So so so good.

Of course, I couldn’t let the rest of the ‘naner go to waste.

Hopefully my breakfast will do something for my energy this morning; if not, a mid-morning nap may be in order. Which I rarely ever do!

Questions for the Morning:

Do you like to take naps?

Does caffeine have any effect on you?

1 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers May 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

you look adorable all zonked out!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Time Difference Benefit

2 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

Haha…that wasn’t the first thought that crossed my mind…but I’ll take it! Thanks ;)

3 Emily May 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

I have days where I feel like that…
Coffee doesn’t seem to affect me as much as others – I think I like the “ritual” of drinking coffee more than anything. And I’m not a napper. It’s a rare (and reallllllllly tired) occassion that it happens.
Emily recently posted..Make this

4 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

I totally agree. The ritual and routine of drinking my morning cup of coffee is something I look forward to everyday. I’m lost without it!

5 Emily May 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

this happens to me sometimes too! Even though exercise is supposed to wake you up, I definitely have those days where all I want to do when I get home is take a quick nap. Caffeine only seems to have a serious effect on me when I’m drinking espresso :)
Emily recently posted..mental roadblocks

6 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

That just made me hungry so bad. I could SO go for a nice cup of coffee too…

Caffeine has an effect on me that I am consciously aware. I think it’s safe to say that it affects everyone, whether they realize it or not, in some way.

It can affect my sleep profoundly, so I tend to watch when I have coffee.
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..You Have to See These Tortillas!

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

That picture is hilarious. And I love your “C” mug!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Blog worthy

8 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 17, 2011 at 9:14 am

I can never take naps during the day, I don’t know why!

When I used to drink coffee, it never had an effect on me. I believe it was more of a habit or placebo effect. Every day before work I’d buy a huge cup of coffee because it was out of habit. I haven’t drank coffee in 4 months and now I feel no difference!
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..A Week in Pictures

9 Maria May 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hi courtney i have been a reader for a while and havent commented. Love your blog!! Coffee doesn’t effect me either I could have a cup before bed too. But I still need an iced coffee every morning! I just started taking body pump a few weeks ago and I was wondering what weights you use I know everyone is different but just curious! Weird but I also go Tuesday Thursday morning at 530 AM!!

10 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Hey Maria!
I, obviously, vary my weights from track to track. The heaviest I use (squats) is 17.2kg – this is a large, medium, and small weight on each side. The lightest I use is for biceps and shoulders which is a small and medium plate on each side, 7.2kg.
I was actually thinking about posting this soon, so I’ll probably get a little more detailed than that.
Thanks for commenting! :-D

11 Kelly May 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

That was me yesterday! I was exhausted all day long!!
Kelly recently posted..i want to be a mom

12 Kathryn May 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

I adore naps! They always energize me!

13 Lindsey May 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

I am not a napper, but I like to lay down to rest but can never fall asleep! Caffeine also has no effect on me, at least one cup doesn’t!

14 Nellie May 17, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’m a total morning person and usually enjoy my 5 a.m. workouts….. This morning though nothing was feeling right, my workout just didn’t flow. And then I read your post…. And then I read Gina’s post on http://fitnessista.com/2011/05/blame-it-on-the-moon/ … I think I may have found the culprit!

15 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I read that this morning too. Interesting!

16 Brianna May 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

I’m really sensitive to caffeine, I can’t drink coffee and caffeinated soda doego well either!

17 Stephanie Bragg May 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Caffeine effects me a little, but I never get jittery from it, I think it’s more a psychological thing for me, the warmth and smell of coffee can wake me up sometimes. I wish I could nap. Even if I’m totally exhausted, I can’t ever fall asleep during the day.
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..We Found One!

18 Miranda @ working mom works out May 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

I love to nap especially on the weekends. I think I have a slight immunity to my coffee but can’t live without it.

19 Khushboo May 17, 2011 at 10:36 am

Ohh I love napping/lying down after my workouts! I can feel my legs thanking me! Caffeine has noo effect on me, which I guess isn’t so bad as I can indulge in chocolate or the occasional diet coke at night without worrying!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

20 Kathryn May 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

For me, it’s the ritual of drinking a cup of coffee or a soda. My brain tells me the caffeine SHOULD help me wake up, so I think my brain makes the effort. However, if I’m truly tired and nothing seems to be helping out, I’ll occasionally grab an energy drink. Unfortunately I have a high tolerance to caffeine (thanks to a late/overnight job I had a while back) so unless it’s in high doses, it doesn’t really work.
As for naps…well, I’m a mother of 2 young kids who wake up super early, but I’ve still got the body of a night owl, so those night when I can’t fall asleep until 1 am and the kids wake up at 5 am or so…you can bet I’m laying down and taking a nap when they do!
I wish my gym offered a Body Pump class that early, then only thing they offer is a cycling class. Luckily, our gym is a chain and our membership lets us attend other locations so I just might have to look at the next nearest location.

21 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Oh gosh, I’d definitely be napping too! Props to you! :)

22 Mac May 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

I rarely take naps, the only time I do is when I am mid-activity and my eyes absolutely will not stay open. I’m like you, caffeine does not affect me. I think I’m happy about that though, because I love the flavor of it so much I like being able to have a cup whenever I want. I’ll find other ways to get an energy kick!
Mac recently posted..Cucumber-Orzo Salad &amp Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipes

23 Melissa May 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

I am a terrible napper! I actually wish I could nap more often!

Caffeine does affect me, but I only know that because I am a hot mess without it! :)

24 Chelsea May 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

I have times like that too! Sometimes its stress that causes all that sleepiness. Yummy looking breakfast!
Chelsea recently posted..Weekend Disappearing Act

25 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com May 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

You are the prettiest napper ever:) I LOVE NAPS SO SO MUCH!!! Girl, you are ROCKING pump and I wish I could go with you and then watch Cupcake Wars together!!! I think I need a nap today!!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I am not ashamed

26 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm

YES, let’s do that PLEASE!! :-D
Come to NY! Think of it this way…you’ll be helping Billy by letting him concentrate more. ;)

27 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces May 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

Just looking at your cute napping picture makes me sleepy. I’m afraid college has made me the queen bee of naps! After 6 months in England though I’m hoping the 5 hour time difference will help me get in the habit of getting up early when I get back to the states!

Oh, also- LOVE the mug! Where did you get it??
Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..That Looks Horrble… and Tastes AH-mazing

28 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Kirklands!

29 Becca May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I think caffeine just keeps me stable now lol If I dont have it though cue nastyyyyyyy headaches. :(

I avoid naps, but every now and then on saturdays I just have to give in!

… I wanted to (finalyl get around to) thank you for your post on julie’s blog… I’m going to be “funemployed” myself in a few months and while it’s by my own choice it’s SCARY and it was really helpful to read your thoughts!
Becca recently posted..Shame… I Lack It

30 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

You are very welcome! I’m glad I could help…best of luck to you!

31 Ellalinea May 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I love love naps.. Although i have to make sure I don’t sleep over 20 minutes, then I will feel sluggish and tired the rest of the afternoon..

Cafeine doesn’t have any effect on me.. it’s quite annoying really ;)
Ellalinea recently posted..Recipe- Tomato Hummus pasta

32 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

YES, that happens to me too!

33 Jillian May 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I bet it’s the weather up here in the northeast that is making you sleepy. Who wants to do anything in this rain and fog!? Ugh! As for coffee, I feel like I am immune to it now, It’s bad.. lol

34 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Ughh, no kidding! This weather is the pits. :(

35 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love naps. I actually like to be tired sometimes if there is the possibility of me taking anap!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

36 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I so admire all that productivity! I definitely relate to wanting to take a nap. Confession: We have what is called a “magazine room” in my office (my favorite room because it houses all of our magazines that we can read for fun). Sometimes, I shut the door and catch a few z’s. SHHHHH, don’t tell. Caffeine definitely affects me and I probably drink too much. What can I say? It’s my vice :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Reasons to Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down- Sunday Brunches with Brother Bear

37 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I want a “magazine room!” :)

38 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I used to think caffeine had no effect on me, but whenever I don’t drink it, I KNOW I’m dependent on the stuff.

And whenever I exercise in the morning, I always need a nap in the early afternoon. I get so exhausted that I can’t keep my eyes opened.

I love that picture of you completely sprawled out on the couch. That’d probably be me before my early morning workouts. Asleep before even making it out the door!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Macau- At Last

39 Anna @ ciaotochow May 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Caffeine has a slight effect on me, which is why I wanted to stop for a latte (I hate just plain coffee) on my 3 hour drive home from my sister’s today. I was sleeeeppy. But I was too scared that if I got off the interstate I’d get lost so I didn’t get one :( Love me some flavored lattes, though. Even vanilla will do!

40 Kristen May 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

sometimes caffeine is problem (usually when I havent had it in a while) I either get really jittery or I crash after its worn off. I try to stay clear if I can but I LOVE diet pepsi (which is bad I know)

41 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

It’s ok…I love me some diet soda every now and then too :)

42 Heather May 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I have ADHD and caffeine doesn’t affect me in the ways that a stimulant affects other people. Sometimes I think this is a good thing because I love coffee at all hours! :D

43 Shayla May 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I find it unfortunate that caffeine has no effect on me….I guess it’s good in that I don’t have to rely on it, but it’s those tired days like you’re having in which I wish it did have an effect on me to give me that energy boost! But even though coffee doesn’t give me that caffeine effect in the mornings, I just love the ritual of getting up in the morning and having a nice warm, creamy cup of coffee :)

44 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I agree with you 100%, Shayla!

45 Erica May 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm

coffee doesn’t seem to affect me THAT much, but if i don’t have it…things get ugly. ;p

my bf is a total nap taker. would be a complete grouch without one. i on the other hand, cannot take naps. if i take a nap, i’m out for 2 hours, and i feel groggy and out of it when i wake up.