How To Make Last Minute Iced Coffee

by Courtney on June 10, 2011

You know those workouts that you really dread doing but end up turning out to be one of your best? Yep, I had me one of those on Monday.

You know those workouts that you have really high hopes for but end up turning out to be awful? Yep, I had one of those this morning.

I had planned on gearing up for a steady 5-mile run this morning, but about 2 miles in, my legs just couldn’t take it anymore. They were like jell-o, and they just were not liking me. On top of that, my hips were really tight for some reason, so a little after mile 3, I decided to call it quits.

My body did not want to run today, so I stopped running. Plain and simple. But what it did want to do is stretch, so I popped in my 10lb. Slimdown DVD and got my “ohm” on with some yoga. I felt so much better afterward…especially after doing some runners lunges and pigeon poses.

*******

How To Make Last Minute Iced Coffee

I get a lot of questions about how I brew my iced coffee. Typically, I will usually just brew a big batch of it like normal, pour it into a pitcher, and pop it in the fridge. But some days, like today, when the pitcher is empty and I need a quick fix, I will pull out my last minute iced coffee method.

Here’s what you do…

1. Use double the amount of coffee grounds that you usually use for a regular pot. For example, I usually use 1 coffee scoop (which = 2 tbsp) for every two cups of water. So with my scoop, it’s a 1:2 ratio.

For last minute iced coffee, the ratio changes to 1:1. This morning I used:

2-1/2 heaping scoops of coffee grounds & 3 cups of water.

IMG_4302IMG_4303

2.  Pour your water into the reservoir and brew like usual (and pay no attention to the unfinished trim around our kitchen window…).

3.  Once coffee is brewed, grab a large glass and fill it with ice.

**Since your coffee is double strength right now, pouring it over ice is going to dilute it back to the normal strength you usually use.

4.  Pour coffee over ice and allow a few minutes to dilute and cool off.

5.  Once the coffee has cooled, prepare it as normal, grab a straw, and start sippin’!

Now that I’ve got my iced coffee all set, it’s time to go finish my breakfast (which is actually the same as this delicious combo) and get to work on a few things.

**This afternoon, I’ve got a fun Fashion Friday post with my Old Navy finds from yesterday, so be sure to stay tuned! Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

Coffee drinkers: Do you prefer your own brewed coffee, or would you rather get it out somewhere? Where’s your favorite coffee spot?

1 ellalinea June 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

Love this Iced coffie post! :) Do you drink it black with ice, r do you put a lil bit of sugar in it?
ellalinea recently posted..Paris is calling Bikram yoga- locking the knee

2 Courtney June 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

Never black! One Truvia + skim milk for me :)

3 Samantha June 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

I always brew my own coffee! I love making big pitchers of iced coffee to put in the fridge for the summer – when it’s hot out, I just can’t drink hot coffee!
Samantha recently posted..Adapt! Improvise! Overcome! Day 23 &amp 24

4 Courtney June 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

I hear ya!

5 emily June 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

I don’t know why, but I’ve found that, on days when I think my workout is going to be awesome, it turns out to be a stinker, and vice versa. Good job on continuing your workout anyway!
emily recently posted..All dogs go to heaven

6 Jill June 10, 2011 at 10:02 am

Great post! I’ve been wondering how iced coffee is different (if at all). I love a good Starbucks cofffee drink but consider those a treat – my drink of choice is a tall, non-fat, no-whip 4-pump mocha. Yeah, I’m high maintenance like that. ;) But since I only hit up Starbucks every once in a while, I usually brew Donut Shop in the Keurig at home and add in some milk and 2 Splenda packets. YUM
Jill recently posted..I’m Not Really a Waitress

7 Lindsey June 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

I do both, typically during the week I use Starbucks VIA, or our Keurig at work. On Saturday mornings me and my husband either go for a Starbucks date or to a local coffee shop. Starbucks is my favorite coffee, but I am newer coffee drinker so have tried too many other places!
Lindsey recently posted..Whats Up Wednesday!

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

Awesome tip! My iced coffee always tastes watered down when I do it right away, but I always just sucked it up and drank it anyway :P

I usually drink my own brewed coffee in the morning, but any other time of the day, I’ll definitely grab it somewhere else!

Yup, I had one of those underwhelming runs on Monday. It was even worse because I was running in Central Park, and wanted so badly to enjoy it. But walking around the park was a good alternative :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..On Eating and eating

9 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 10, 2011 at 10:05 am

I usually drink my coffee black, so I can swing into nearly any joint and grab one without having to worry if they’ll have the “condiments” I like…but Dunkin Donuts is definitely my fave!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Hey Look- There’s a Hole in my Body

10 Khushboo June 10, 2011 at 10:08 am

Oh good thinking about the doubling the coffee amount! Would have otherwise completely ignored the diluting power of ice! For favourite coffee spot, does Baskin Robbins count…with jamoca flavor bring my fix of coffee?? ;)
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

11 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

ahhhh what a good question, considering my last post was devoted entirely to coffee and why I love it so much :-) I do brew my own coffee every now and then but it rarely tastes very good.

Dunkin Donuts is obviously my fave spot! So many flavors to choose from. French Vanilla and Blueberry Iced have been top of my list lately. But I might give Raspberry a try…I’m very curious!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Ode to Coffee

12 Courtney June 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

I LOVE their raspberry! And you know what’s REALLY good? Ask for half raspberry half french vanilla…it’ll change your life. ;)

13 Emmarie June 10, 2011 at 10:16 am

OOh, I just had a blueberry iced DD coffee this morning. I’m going to try the raspberry/french vanilla combo ASAP!
Emmarie recently posted..And she’s off

14 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

Coffee at home is just great, but when I get coffee from someplace else, it feels like such a treat! :)

15 Emily June 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have definitely had those kind of workout days, but the good thing is, they usually only happen once in a blue moon. After that happens, my work out the next day or two days later if I need a day off is usually awesome! If I really need some cardio, I go to the mall and get my shop on ;) hahaha

Loveeee iced coffee, I still need to go to The Fresh Market to try some of there coffee because I’ve heard its great from several people.
Emily recently posted..Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

16 Jackie @ Baking Charms June 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

If I had the $$ I would go to Starbucks every morning :)
Jackie @ Baking Charms recently posted..A manly meal

17 Charlie June 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

I know that method for iced tea but never thought of using it for iced coffee :P. I am more a tea drinker anyway but I like french press coffee, that I make when my boyfriend is there. Otherwise, I go to Starbucks occasionally for a coffee treat ;). My favorite is peppermint mocha, I had to love a seasonal drink :P.
Charlie recently posted..Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Pomegranate Glaze

18 Colleen June 10, 2011 at 10:57 am

I need to start making my own iced coffee–thank you for the tutorial! Your fresh market bag reminded me of how much I LOVE their pumpkin spice coffee in the fall. I need to stockpile it this year!
Colleen recently posted..I Was Power Sculpted

19 Sarah June 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

So funny, I literally just put a cup of coffee in the freezer to chill for iced coffee! haha! Next time I will brew it and then dilute with the ice, good idea!

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 10, 2011 at 11:24 am

I hate when a run you’re looking forward to ends up like that!
Definitely make my own coffee at home most mornings. It pains me to spend $2-3 on coffee out!

21 Sarah June 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

It depends on my mood.. sometimes I really want to go buy coffee, but I also love the smells of coffee brewing in the morning. Great way to start the day!

22 Stephanie Bragg June 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

I hate getting coffee out. I like the way that I make it and when I order it that way somewhere else I just feel super high maintenance and annoying. I also hate paying money for things I can make at home, so it kind of pains me to fork over money at a coffee shop
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..A Fishy Afternoon

23 Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm

That happens to me sometimes too! I’ll go to the gym or start working out and then my body just isn’t feeling it. It’s important to learn how to listen to your body and know when to do something different. That iced coffee looks delicious… I may need to run out and get one now!!
Erin @ Naturally Addicted recently posted..Mango Tango

24 Mandee June 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm

your coffee always looks so good! i’m weird and don’t drink coffee in the morning, so i rarely drink it at home. i’ll do a starbucks run at lunch (which is my fav) or go to borders cafe after dinner. the barista at starbucks suggested an iced decaf americano a few years ago, and i’ve been hooked ever since! but black hot coffee/espresso, no thanks. the taste is totally different to me!
Mandee recently posted..Hostess Cupcake Homecoming

25 Lauren (Sugar Spice and Daisies ) June 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for posting about this! A few weeks ago, I thought I could just pour hot coffee over ice and instand iced coffe… um, fail :-( LOL
Lauren (Sugar Spice and Daisies ) recently posted..Jealousy

26 Dani Eats Veggies June 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I used to stop @ Starbucks EVERY morning… then, one day, i started looking at my checking account online. i noticed how it was adding up… and, since i’d already noticed how the amount of time spent waiting in line at starbucks had added up, the decision became really pretty simple, and i started making my own iced coffees. they aren’t a fancy drink, so it’s easy enough to do those right in my own kitchen. i’m two weeks in and am really glad that i made the switch!

27 Mariana June 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I like to brew my own coffe, but I love Starbucks and an arabian coffee shop by my house.
Mariana recently posted..Debo de

28 Mac June 11, 2011 at 1:21 am

I would much prefer to get my coffee somewhere else, ie. Starbucks, but it is so not economical for me… I would be dirt poor if I caved in EVERYDAY for coffee at one of my favorite spots.
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

29 Patricia June 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I always prepare my own iced coffee with some milk. I have to tell one thing! I’m brazilian and as I always read your posts I was curious to find peanut butter here, cause we don’t have this kind of stuffs. And i found the skippy peanut butter here!

30 Courtney June 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Wow, really?!? Peanut butter isn’t widely available in Brazil? I had no idea! But I’m so glad you found some :)