Guest Post: Treadmill Interval Workouts

by Courtney on June 15, 2011

Well, today’s guest poster will be a familiar face for many of you!

I first found Julie’s blog a little over a year ago and I have been hooked ever since. Julie and I share so many things in common, from our love of sweet treats, to our crazy pets…hence the reason I like to call her my blond blogging twin.

But another thing that Julie and I have in common is our love of intense, sweaty workouts. Hopefully you haven’t gotten your workout in for the day yet (or you’re ready for a little extra), because she’s got some doozies in store for you all!

*********

Hey, hey Sweet Tooth, Sweet Lifers! I’m so excited to be guest posting for Courtney while she and Jay are on vacation.

My name is Julie and I blog over at Peanut Butter Fingers. My blog follows my life as I strive to workout regularly, eat (mostly) healthy and enjoy each day with my husband and our nut job of a dog, Sadie.

ryan and julie

sadie

When Courtney first asked me to guest post, I had a billion different topic ideas run through my head. I love Courtney’s blog for many reasons, one being her delicious recipes and fantastic pictures of delectable desserts. I also love how she eats the food she craves and balances out the not-so-healthy choices with healthy food and exercise, something I try to do every day as well.

(Courtney: Awww shucks, Julie…I’m blushing now.) Winking smile

Since Courtney has the sweets covered, I figured I would pop over and post about some of my all-time favorite workouts: Treadmill Interval Workouts!

I love doing interval workouts on the treadmill because they balance intense bursts of speedy running with walking. The changing pace helps me fight treadmill boredom and makes the workout fly by!

Below you will find some of my favorites.

20 Seconds On, 40 Seconds Off:

interval workout 1

20-Minute Blast:

interval workout 2

40-Minute Intervals:

interval workout 3

If strength-training is more your thing, here are some total-body workouts you may also enjoy:

I hope you enjoy these workouts! I’m always looking for new ways to revamp my gym sessions, so if you have any workouts you personally love, feel free to link to them or detail them in the comments section of this post. I’d love to see what you’ve been enjoying lately!

**********

Me too! Thanks again, Julie, for these kick-butt treadmill ideas! Now let’s see what other great ideas you guys have out there…

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love Julie’s interval workouts!They’re the only thing that keeps me sane on the treadmill.

2 Lindsay June 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Julie, I’ve tried some of your interval workouts and they are awesome! You always inspire me to work harder at the gym. I did one the other day that looked like this:

Also, yesterday I did a circuit-style weight workout, and I’m definitely feeling it today :)
Lindsay recently posted..First Post – What up blog world!

3 Samantha June 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I’ll definitely have to try these when I get back into treadmill running! I do similar intervals outside now!

A workout I fell in love with over the winter was called “Interval Climbs”. Set the incline on the TM @ 1 and warm up for one mile at your warm up pace (for me it’s a 10mm). Then continue to crank the speed up every 5 minutes until you’re blasting away at your best (or better) mileage pace (I try to do between 5 and 7, 5-minute intervals, depending on my energy level). Follow with a cool-down, usually walking by the time I’ve blasted this! It’s a great way to cover a decent amount of distance in a short amount of time! I got to the point over the winter where I could cover 4 miles in about 36 minutes, including the slower warmup/cooldown! It really gets you sweating, burning calories, and feeling great!

It also helped me break through my 5k PR over the winter by over 2 minutes!
Samantha recently posted..Im Feeling It Day 28

4 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm

If you can only spare 15 minutes on the treadmill (I have busy mornings!!) this is a great treadmill workout that will get you SUPER SWEATY and you’ll cover 2 miles!! In just 15 minutes! (Pace: under a 7:30)

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting

5 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love both of your blogs :)

6 Courtney June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Thanks, Leanne! :)

7 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Even though I hate sprinting with a passion, I’m learning to love interval workouts. Like you said, it makes it fly by! I like hitting the little short goals and can keep track in my head –
okay, just one more of those!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Chicken Fingers for Breakfast

8 Kelly @foodiefresh June 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

If I have to be stuck on a treadmill, rather than running outside, an interval workout is the way to go. I just recently posted an interval workout that I did last week.

Great post Julie!
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..The best barbecue chicken pizza

9 Khushboo June 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Intervals are what we keep me sane on the treadmill. Love the post-workout burn! Great seeing 2 of my fave bloggers ‘together’
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Nice guest post Julie! I think that interval running gets me sweatier than anything else. That’s how I know it’s working!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Smoothie Under the Sun

11 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm
12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love Julie AND interval workouts! They seriously make me work up a sweat so much more than a normal workout!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..7 things about this weekend

13 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love Julie’s interval workouts! As soon as I get my foot injury looked at, I’m going to begin using them :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Barbeque Sauce Makes Everything Better

14 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I can’t wait to try these! It is too dang hot to run outside this time of year in TX where I live! The treadmill is my best friend in the summer, and I definitely need something like this to fight the boredom.
Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) recently posted..Race Week Workout Plans and my Next 30 Day Challenge

15 ellalinea June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Yeeeey I love julie! Great interval workouts! I mostly do Bikram yoga for the moment because I recently won an unlimited membership for a month..

But the 12th of july I’m leaving for a roadtrip on the westcoast of the usa and we have a lot of hotels with a gym..

I will def try this workout then! :)
ellalinea recently posted..Paris recap and recent reflections

16 Sarah June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love intervals outside, but I just feel all flopsy trying to adjust the speeds while running on a treadmill. Any tips??

17 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Aww Julie and Courtney in one post… what a great day! Heading to the gym soon, and a treadmill workout is calling to me now!
Niki (Life’s a Payne) recently posted..Cookies or Cupcakes Whats a girl to do

18 Kate June 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love intervals too because it’s so easy to say, just one more of each and really stretch your workout without feeling overly tired or bored. Now to re-join a gym…
Kate recently posted..hmp- small plates part one

19 Robert Braun March 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Here is another article about high intensity treadmill training that focuses on the benefits compared to low intensity training: http://www.treadmill-world.com/high-in tensity-interval-training-with-a-treadmill/

20 best incline treadmill October 17, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hi, I found your blog through The search engines concurrently seeing that looking for a very similar issue, your website got here in place, it seems being great. We have added onto my personal favourites features and functions|added to this social bookmarks.