New Mini Playlist + Back To The Beach

This morning, I worked up a serious sweat. Like, pretty freakin’ gross sweat action was happenin’. I almost took a pic to prove it to you, but I think I may have lost a few readers…so just take my word for it.

So what worked up such a sweat, you ask? Welllll…

I started off with Julie’s latest interval workout that she posted yesterday. I loved the fact that it was not only intervals, but was also put together in pyramid form. It was definitely a GREAT workout.

I ended up staying on the treadmill for a few more minutes of power walking because I was totally loving my new mini playlist.

playlist

Considering the last song I actually downloaded off of iTunes was Beyonce’s “Single Ladies,” I think it’s safe to say that I was long overdue for an updated playlist. It’s funny how just a few simple songs can amp up your workout to a whole other level, isn’t it?

Post sweaty treadmill, I rounded out today’s workout with a Yoga Sculpt video off of Exercise on Demand. The video is actually available to download for free on the Exercise TV site, so if you want to click it out, just click here. I’d definitely recommend it!

*****

Lunch

Once I finally cooled down and showered, it was time for some lunch.

Holy crap was this sandwich awesome. I sliced an Arnold Artisan Ovens Flatbread in half and filled it with:

It was, in a word, perfect.

I rounded out the meal with a Gala apple some nice cold lemon water, which is tasting really, really good today.

I suppose I should probably start to do a little packing since, as I mentioned this morning, Jay and I are headed back to the beach!

We’ll be vacationing with my parents in Virginia Beach for a few days, followed by another few days in Wildwood, NJ. Growing up, my family used to go to Wildwood almost every summer, so I’m pretty familiar with the area and the boardwalk (“Watch the tram car please!” <—anyone else know what I mean?).

Virginia Beach, however, is one destination I’m not quite familiar with, so if anyone has any recommendations on where to eat/drink/have fun, please fill me in! You guys already know that my parents know how to party, so we’re game for anything. Winking smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

Did/do you and your family have any favorite vacation spots?

What’s your favorite beach location?

Where should I go in Virginia Beach?!?

Comments

I used to go to Wildwood as a kid too! My mom’s good friend’s brother owned a motel there. In all the time I spent there, I never rode the tram car and hated the Watch the Tram car announcements!

Have an awesome vacation!

Your sandwich looks delish! :) So healthy and HUGE (that is mainly why I think I’d like it so much!)
    I never got to go on vacation as a kid. My dad is a farmer and we got to leave for a day or two IF it rained…. It never rained enough to go for more than a day or so and we live in Kansas, so you can’t do much in a day, there is NOWHERE to go! HA!

3. Brittany says

My family goes to Sea Isle City, NJ every year. And my Boyfriend has a house in Avalon, NJ so its been a beachy summer!

I kid you not, “Watch the tram car please” has been featured in a number of my nightmares…. While I’m an OCNJ girl at heart, we’ve done our fair share of hops over to Wildwood (including one wild 4th of July where I first tried beer… oi vay!)

I am sure you’ll have a blast everywhere, wish I could give tips on VA beach (if only b/c that’d mean I’d spent some time in Virginia Beach!!)

My family goes to New Hampshire every summer – camping in the Lincoln area! It’s so beautiful up there!

My favorite beach destination is actually right here at home in Lil’ Rhody – Narragansett Town Beach. It’s beautiful, well kept, and boasts some wicked waves more often than not. I just got home from there about 1/2 hour ago – I love a mid week beach trip!

I’ve never been to VA Beach, but it’s on my list of destinations to see someday!

I love ocean city, MD…and as an avid Wild Wood-goer I do know what you mean by “watch the tram car please” haha–have fun!

Growing up, we always stayed in Bethany Beach, DE for at least two weeks every summer. After my first year of high school, we ended up moving there. My favorite spot now is Ocean City, MD as the beaches are HUGE, and going out there at night is so much fun. My fam & high school friends still live down there so I visit as much as I can, and get to stay for free! :D

• Courtney says

I LOVE Ocean City, MD! I’ve gone a couple times with my close girlfriends and it’s always a blast :)

My favorite beach location is Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, FL…. this is where I lived prior to moving up to Ohio a year ago. And I miss it! I’m going back next week for a visit and I can’t wait! Siesta Key has very fine, white sand… it almost looks like snow and it feels really soft. I love it! :)

Hope you have a wonderful time on your beach trip!!

9. Amy says

I live in VA Beach area. A lot of great restaurants depending on where you are staying. The beach is less “touristy” from about 50th street and up. If you need ideas just email the area or if you need something to do because of rain.

10. Katie Bonk says

There’s a fun sports bar in VA Beach called Sharky’s. Not the greatest food, but the game room is a lot of fun, and good drinks! (And it’s all non-smoking!!) Have a great vacation!!

11. Sarah Elizabeth says

Thanks for sharing the link to the free yoga download! I’ve been looking for one for a while. I’ll have to give it a try!

GREAT WORKOUT WOMAN!!! LOVE the playlist! When I get back to Utah I am sending you a DVD with ALL of my workout/spin songs for you to download onto your computer:) GET EXCITED!

• Courtney says

Noooo wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! Janae, you made my day!! Now if you could just send yourself along with that DVD so we can lots of fro yo… ;)

I think I mentioned it to you via Twitter but Chico’s Pizza at the beach is great. What beach are you going to/staying at? There’s a local beach called Croatan that is a bit down from the Oceanfront and it’s much more peaceful! Waterman’s on the beach is good for brunch too!

There’s lots of cheesy beach things to do too! Have fun! Wave to my mommy for me! haha!

You should totally download Jason Derulo’s ‘don’t wanna go home’…with a playlist like the above, I know u will love it- it’s 1 song that always gets me to crank up the intensity!

My family likes to go to Morro Bay, CA. It is a small family beach town and it’s cute and not too touristy. I think my favorite beach is Carmel Beach, though. It is beautiful and everyone takes their dogs and has bonfires at night. Plus, Carmel-by-the-Sea is an awesome town! It has tons of shopping, amazing restaurants, and lots of beautiful houses. I love just driving around to look at them. :)

Your sandwich looks soooo good! Where do you find the Flatbreads? I want to try them, I get jealous every time I see you eat one! Ha :)

Oh, Virginia Beach is nice. There are Dunkin’ Donuts all around (for some yummy iced coffee)! The only thing I can remember is a great place that has a kicker eggplant burger, it’s called Pi-zzeria across from the Ocean Beach Club. :)

I totally worked out to Exercise TV today on demand too! Kicked my booty! Loved it! I did 20 min/cardio, 10 min/abs and 10 min natural lift for the girls :)

Loving your playlist and that sandwich looks amazing!

My family didn’t really have any vacation spots because it was always really hard to travel with my sisters medical issues, however, they did the best they could to make our home a vacation spot.

Some of my favorite beach spots now are up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, South Beach Miami and the Dominican Republic has the most gorgeous beaches!

20. Cheryl says

Courtney,

I’ve just recently found your blog and absolutely love it! I love all your recipes. Yesterday, I made the diet orange soda cupcakes with the vanilla butter cream frosting for a BBQ and everyone loved them. After reading your post today, I just had to comment, especially since you mentioned the Wildwood tram car! I gets into your soul! That thing is crazy! Anyway, keep up the good work and can’t wait to try some of your other recipes!

Thanks,
    Cheryl

• Courtney says

Hahaha, it DOES, doesn’t it?!?

I’m so glad you found a couple of recipes you enjoy…thanks so much for reading, Cheryl! :)

21. Aria says

I went to stone harbor NJ every year – which is right next to wildwood! I know the “watch the tram car please!” slogan as well lol – have fun at the beach!

Me and my family’s favorite annual beach spot is Santa Cruz…it’s only about an hour drive from where we live and it’s just so much fun. With the Boardwalk and beach and the smell of sweets wafting in the air, it’s absolutely awesome and brings back so many childhood memories :)

23. Nicole says

Had to comment after reading you’ll be in wildwood!! Will never forget “watch the tram car please” from summer family vacations!! Haha..enjoy! Love reading your blog!

24. kylee says

In Va Beach you musttt go to watermans for the orange crush!!! they are famous for it! so yummy!!:) youll love it here! theres so much to do and so many yummy restaurants/ fun bars! catch 31 is great too!

25. Melissa says

I love that you posted “Watch the tram car please,” that’s totally making me crack up. My family used to vacation in Wildwood too, and my mom would get that stuck in her head and say it the whole car ride home. That, and “Ice cold waaater.” Love it!

26. Val @ Balancing Val says

Lol, we thought the tram car saying was hilarious.

Im embarrassed to admit I bought a shirt that said it ;)

Hope you have fun!

Wave to me on the way down when you hit ocean county!

I love yoga sculpt! I am dreading the day when it’s no longer available on demand! I was also enjoying the Body by Bethany yoga workout but sadly, it’s not on demand anymore :( PS I am so jealous of all your fun summer vacations! Have a great time!

• Courtney says

I know! I was so bummed to see that it was gone today…I was hoping to do the Bethenny video!

Love all the mid-east coast beach action! We don’t to go VA Beach often except for day trips, but I do know that 17th St Surf Shop and WRV are great shopping spots. And love that you brought back “Hot Tottie” – such a great song and totally going on my August OBX beach vacay play list! :)

I’m from the Jersey shore, about an hour north of Wildwood! We’d go down to Morey’s Pier at least once a summer! I totally know what you mean “watch the tram car please!” hahah! have a blast!

OMG…I think we talked about this last year, but I don’t remember..but we go up to Wildwood every year too!! But this year we can’t go up because we took a lot of days off for the wedding & honeymoon :(
    I’m going to miss it sooooo much!! & those darn tram cars..oh man..they are everywhere!! Hahah :D
    Have you ever gone to the waterpark on the boardwalk?? If not, you should & then go to the Oasis bar which is located inside the waterpark- it’s a swim up bar (no kids allowed in the area) & the drinks are SO good…and SO strong..and not that expensive. It’s our new tradition to go to the waterpark every year, and then spend the rest of the day at the bar…and then literally crawl back to the condo..haha :D

• Courtney says

Ohhhhh girl, I’m so glad you mentioned that Oasis bar. Swim up bars are right up my alley! Thanks for the heads up! :)

31. kate says

I LOVE Wildwood! My family and I would go there and Ocean City…NJ not MD. You’ll have a great time…so jealous!

32. Sarah S says

va beach recommendations– food: mahi mah’s- delicious EVERYTHING- sushi, seafood, american food, amazing drink selection!, on the boardwalk; pi pizzeria, on the boardwalk; el tapatio, best mexican food/service in the area, a little out of the way though down toward dam neck on general booth blvd. drinks/fun: waterman’s- awesome fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit drinks called “crushes”, great night time bar vibe, on the boardwalk; luna sea- great indoor/outdoor bar with dancing upstairs and a huge sand pit where you can play corn hole all night, off the boardwalk on 22nd st! the boardwalk is also great to roam during the day, there are cute sculptures along the entrances at many of the blocks.
    hope this helps! have fun :)

I live in VB, so if you need any suggestions, feel free to email me.

Oceanfront area restaurants-
    Catch 31- great seafood, fun patio
    Terrapin- the BEST in the area, local, seasonal, “foodie” fare
    Todd Jurich’s Burger Bar- 100% grass fed, organic burgers. Just opened 2 weeks ago, we went last week and it was delicious.
    Doc Taylors- best local’s breakfast

Have a great trip!

Like Lindsay, I’m a Hilton Head Island (South Carolina) LOVA.
    Thanks for the Yoga link! After my competition this wknd, I plan on taking a couple weeks off for my body to rest and yoga has been prescribed ;) I’ll definitely check this one one.

my family went to frankfort michigan for almost 10 years. We took a few summers off to venture elsewhere (including ireland!) but this summer we are headed back- I cant wait!

36. Jane says

Hi there!
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Stone Harbor to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane