Finally Making Progress

by Courtney on July 24, 2011

This afternoon has been pretty productive around here in the Horan household! When we look at it, it really doesn’t look like we’ve made much progress but trust me…if I had taken “before” pictures, you’d see the difference!

Once Jay got home from his golf outing, the two of us started to tackle our spare bedroom. Ohhhh goodness gracious, the spare bedroom.

To give you a little bit of an idea on how Jay and I function, we tend to take a really.long.time to complete a project we’re not super excited about.

Case in Point: We’ve been living in our house since November 2008 and STILL have yet to turn our spare bedroom into an actual bedroom. BUT, we’re getting there!

First, we went through and cleaned out some clothes and shoes that we no longer wear or need. I plan on bringing all of these over to Plato’s Closet tomorrow to try and get a few bucks for. Anything they don’t take will just be donated to charity.

There were, however, a couple dresses that I couldn’t bear to just give away. I’ll be posting those on the bloggy this week to see if anyone is interested! Winking smile

*****

Once we cleaned out some of the “junk,” we started to assemble our new bed. YES, a new bed! We had it delivered on Monday from Sears after seeing what a great deal they were having. Honestly, we really were not all that psyched about buying a new mattress set, but we needed it.

So now, friends, we will have an actual bed for you to sleep in when you crash at the house. Get excited!

It’s still a work in progress, but this week, I’ll be on the lookout for a cheap new comforter set (any recommendations?) and hopefully start to work on painting over those pink walls. Sorry, mom!

(FYI: For those of you newer readers, you may not know that the house we live in is actually my grandparents’ old house. So our spare bedroom was actually my mom’s bedroom growing up. Pretty fun, right?)

Cody, of course, immediately found a new “hideout” spot under the new bed.

We haven’t seen much of him since.

*****

After all of our hard work, neither of us felt much like cooking AND we were both in the mood for pizza. So what do we do?

We order a pizza from one of favorite local spots, that’s what! Smile

Today, we ordered the Margherita pizza, which I thoroughly enjoyed two slices of. This pizza may, in fact, top their Mediterranean pizza. It was goooood.

We also stopped and picked up a movie from Redbox (The Other Woman…has anyone seen it yet?) so the two of us plan on planting our beee-hinds on the couch for the rest of the evening to watch it.

Hopefully I’ll also be able to get a few more chapters read in my book…I’m totally loving it!

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!

Questions for the Evening:

Do you enjoy taking on home improvement projects?

What do you tend to do with your old clothes?

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I feel like cleaning & moving is the theme all across the blog world at the moment! Haha

I usually donate my old clothes to Good Will :)

2 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I usually take them to Plato’s Closet and donate whatever Plato’s doesn’t take.

3 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian July 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh I love home improvement projects and cleaning! I am super organized to begin with, so when my boyfriend and I officially move in together in November I will be a wreck with cleaning and getting organized. We are getting a 2bedroom, so we will have a spare bedroom; for mom visits and whatnot. Now granted, most of the “guest room” will be storage; but I know my mom won’t mind lol!

Good luck with the project. Check out Bed Bath and Beyond for linens and also HomeGoods!!! :)

4 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique July 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Great job! I actually should have cleaned out my kitchen today. I’m trying to get rid of old things I don’t use..to make room for new stuff as I need it. I however (unlike you) did not get up the motivation. Here’s to next weekend. Maybe.

5 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I usually just give my clothes away to charity, but I should really look into Ebay and consignment stores because I have some hardly worn and some never worn items that I need to get rid of.

6 April @ Motor City Runner July 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Awesome progress!! I LOVE doing stuff around the house. I hate the part where it looks like a cyclone hit it during, but after I love it.
As for my old clothes, I actually work across the street from a Salvation Army, so I donate them there.

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

That pizza looks so good! I love pizza with fresh tomatoes and basil!!!

8 Katie July 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Not a fan of tackling home projects…HA! I moved into my new apartment 3 weeks ago and have yet to hang my pictures and put together my book case. I’m dreading it, but also because it means I have to go to Home Depot. Blech! That pizza looks AWESOME!

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

you just gave me the biggest pizza craving ever!

aaand I’m the same way about projects I’m not psyched about. eesshh.

10 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl July 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm

We’re super slow on projects we’re not in love with either. Luckily we haven’t had too many since we rent and that limits our list of things we can do.

I have a ton of clothes I need to take to Plato’s as well, like the size 27 R&R jeans I got on final sale from RueLaLa that just are a little too snug and I’ve given up on fitting into them. ;) I’ve never gone to Plato’s but there is one really close to us. Otherwise, I’ll just donate them to the local Salvation Army drop-off.

As far as bedding, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or Home Goods are good to check.

11 Diana Amy July 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I am pretty much the worst at committing to home improvement projects – I envy people who dive right in!

I also try Plato’s Closet, followed by Goodwill for items PC isn’t interested in (ahem, the bridesmaid dress from my bro’s wedding)

There are sales all ova right now – I just grabbed a new duvet cover/shams from West Elm for a STEAL, check their site out!

12 Bethany July 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Plato’s Closet sister!!! Made $40 this week :)

13 Megan @ Sweet B's Homemade July 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm

My next project is cleaning our closet. We have clothes in there that we have not worn in years. I will probably donate our clothes to Goodwill. I do however have a couple of other projects I want to do this summer. Let’s hope I get to them. :)

14 Camilla July 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

So ridiculous but all my old clothes are in bags piled in the garage “waiting” to be taken to Salvation Army! Haha, I don’t know if they’l everrrrr make it!

15 Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm

It’s sooo hard for me to part with my old clothes. I always think “but what if I want to wear it again” but my rule is: if I haven’t worn it in a year, I probably never will. Donate it!

16 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I am cleaning out closets and dressers this week and I DON’T like it, it is such hard work!!! ….I think I just need a bigger closet! ;)
As far as home improvement is concerned: within the past year I have…torn down 4 rooms of flowered wallpaper, sanded all 4 rooms, painted all 4 rooms, torn up carpet, restored a hard wood floor, re-floored our bathroom…. next up, the kitchen!

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 24, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Don’t feel bad, it took us about 1.5 years of living in our house before actually putting together our guest room too. It’s still not completely done, we’ll probably end up moving before that happens!

18 Katherine July 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I have to be in the mood, but I love doing home improvement things!

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Woohoo for getting things done! I love how you live in your grandparent’s old house!

20 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hahahaha – I guess very few people actually like to clean and organize stuff at home! I don’t, too ;)
Loved the fact that your spare bedroom was actually your Mom’s bedroom when she was little! When my great grandma died a few years ago, all I wanted was to buy her house. But I was only 9 at the time (hehe), so my grandpa and their brothers sold the house to a construction enterprise. A little while later, they demolished the house and built a building at its place. I was crushed. But I still own that house and live there in my dreams pretty often, haha.
Have a great week!
xoxo

21 Brittany July 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hmmm…home improvement projects…they always look fun when I watch them on t.v…then I see the parents trying to do one and I’d rather just stay out of it! haha. I just reorganized our basement and it actually looks like a basement now. I can see the floor! :P

My old clothes, I either put in a bag to drop off in a clothes bin around town. OR, since my sister is getting older, I give them to her. She’s only 9, but she loves wearing all my oversized shirts as a pajama shirt. It’s cute. :)

By the way, I FINALLY started my own blog. Hope you check it out!

22 Shayla July 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm

You made me feel so much better about procrastinating home projects!! Hubby and I would much rather do something fun so we definitely have stuff we still want to tackle and we’ve lived in our house for 3 years! So you’re not alone ;)

I also like to take my old clothes to Plato’s Closet, and whatever they don’t take I’ll donate to Goodwill :)

23 Lindsey July 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I think sometimes I like the idea of home improvment projects more than the project itself! They always seem to be a lot more work than I am ready for ;) haha. But also they are usually worth it!
My old clothes go to friends, Platos Closet or I donate them.

24 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies July 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I try to either sell my clothes to places like Plato’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange, and if they don’t take them, I take them to my local Goodwill. When I’m at my parents house, I take my old clothes/shoes to an animal shelter nearby that has a store attached. All the proceeds from the store go to the animals, which I absolutely love!

25 Brenda@ Baby on the Way July 24, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I like starting the home improvement projects and then having them end. The middle ‘this-is-taking-forever’ part is not so fun!

I usually take my old clothes to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. What I’d really love to do is have a clothing swap! It seems like such a great way to get rid of cute clothes I no longer want while getting new clothes at the same time!

26 Hali Demoss July 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

Hi courtney! New follower, and blogger… We also live in my husband’a grandparent’s house. We are renting for pennies compared to what we would pay in rent for an apt in Cali… Glad we aren’t the only ones to move into a family house. :)

As far as house projects I can’t get enough of them. I love reorganizing, redecorating and moving stuff around.

27 Khushboo July 25, 2011 at 5:18 am

I used to live in Nigeria and my mom still goes back occasionally so she tends to take back our old clothes and donate it to past house help and to their families.

28 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 25, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m not a fan of home improvement projects – which is why I’m happy to be marrying a man who is! Living in an apartment doesn’t require many improvement chores, but hanging stuff, unpacking, etc…it was fun for a while. Now, I just want someone else to come in and do for me ;)

29 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 25, 2011 at 9:29 am

We will be putting together our guest bedroom in the next few weeks too! At least, that’s what we’ve planned. I’m excited to see how yours turns out!

30 Colleen Keegan July 25, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh Courtney,
You cannot paint those pink walls :) Do you know what memories that room evokes? And, I can tell you another little cat used to lurk under the bed in the pink room and we were terrified of her.
I hope all is well.

Colleen

31 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m really hoping (pleading, praying?) that this week I can give my apartment a thorough once-through to make it acceptable living for myself. My beau’s getting ready to move out at the end of August, and I’d love for it to become truly my own (my first time living totally alone ever!!) I feel like it’s tougher when you share with someone, because you can’t just move all their stuff to some location as if you know where they would even want it. It’s gotta be a team effort.

I also think I have 3 full bags of Plato’s hopefuls just ITCHING to get even 10 dollars from….

32 Nicole July 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

My husband and I moved into his 90+ year old great Aunt’s home back in 2008… despite three years of seemingly constant painting, wallpaper removal, landscaping, replacing of light fixtures, ripping up carpets and refinishing hardwood, there is still SO much left to do! And SO much pink, purple, and floral prints left to get rid of… it sure is never-ending, isn’t it? Lucky for me, I really enjoy doing these projects :)

33 Erica July 25, 2011 at 10:39 am

Let us know how you make out at Plato’s Closet! Sadly, a lot of my friends say they don’t have much luck “selling” their stuff there, so I’m curious to see if you make out better than they have!

I usually just donate my stuff to Goodwill! I actually did a HUGE closet clean-out earlier this summer!

34 Christy July 25, 2011 at 10:48 am

Check out the Lakeside Collection for reasonably priced comforter sets: http://www.lakeside.com/

35 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

The movie The Other Woman made me cry more than any movie I have ever seen in my life!

36 Courtney July 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm

REALLY? We shut it off halfway through! Apparently we should have waited it out? Haha!

37 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I might have just been having an emotional day-I can’t remember. :) I thought it was a good movie though! lol.

38 e@thisnotedlife July 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm

i love home projects – except moving – which im doing right now – it’s SO overwhelming. And your pizza looks sooooo good my stomach grumbled (time to go home from work!)