It All Adds Up

by Courtney on July 27, 2011

I’m so glad you guys are liking the new Favorites page! It turned out to be a much bigger project than I had anticipated, but it was totally worth it.

Since I was so busy working on that this afternoon, I didn’t get a chance to fill you in on the rest of my day. Soooo, let’s get to it!

Workout

99% of the time, when it comes to working out for me, it’s all or nothing; and by that, I mean that I’ve got to get it done all at the same time. No particular reason why, but I just like it that way.

Today, however, was anything but. Because I was so busy doing a bunch of things here and there, my workout was actually split into three, 10-30 minute sessions.

• Workout #1: HIIT intervals on treadmill (20 sec @ 9.0mph/40 sec @4.5mph) (28 mins)
  • Workout #2: 10 Minute Abs (from Exercise on Demand) (10 mins)
  • Workout #3: 10lb. Slimdown Yoga (from Exercise on Demand) (23 mins)

All three workouts were spaced out amidst a span of probably 4 hours, and I actually didn’t really mind splitting them up. Overall, I definitely got in a great workout, and I think sometimes people often discount the fact that you can still get an amazing workout by breaking it up during the day. This is helpful, especially for those of you who are often pressed for time.

Remember…it all adds up!

*****

Lunch

In between workouts 2 & 3, some lunch was thoroughly enjoyed.

Have you guys seen that Thomas’ Bagel Thins now come in blueberry? Just imagine my excitement when a received a package of them in the mail to try out; ecstatic may not even cover it. They are pheeeeNOMenal!

I lightly toasted one today and topped it with some Blizzard Butter, banana slices, and a drizzle of honey, along with the rest of the ‘naner + BB. Ohhhh, soo good.

I also snacked on an almost-too-ripe white nectarine which still tasted delish.

Dinner

Tonight is another softball game, so unfortunately, that means no time to make an elaborate dinner (like I ever really do that anyways, who am I kidding?).

Elaborate or not, I may just have a new way to make tuna fish. I’m warning you, it’s totally random, but I really, really liked it.

Rather than make a sandwich, I placed the tuna salad on top of a bed of romaine, cukes, and grape tomatoes. Once everything was all mixed together, this bowl tasted awesome. Who would have ever thought to put cheese in tuna salad? Is that odd?

Ehh, who cares. I’m odd every now and then anyways. Winking smile

I also finished off the rest of Saturday night’s mac & cheese leftovers while impatiently waiting to finish preparing my actual dinner.

I’m sure I’ll be in need of a little something sweet after the game tonight, so we’ll have to see what I can scrounge up…but for now, gotta run!

Question for the Evening:

What are some of your favorite mix-ins for tuna/chicken/anything salad?

1 Nicole July 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I sometimes mix yellow curry powder into my tuna salad and it gives it a great kick! Also you can add garbanzo beans.

2 allison July 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I mix a can of tuna, very small diced cubes of extra old cheddar, and very small diced pear or apple with balsamic vinaigrette and put in romaine hearts (lettuce rollups); it’s actually what I’m having for dinner tonight

3 Shayla @ The Good Life July 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Oooo I must try the Blueberry Bagel Thins, how yummy!

And I love your un-elaborate dinners…I’m the same way and as long as they’re yummy and satisfying that’s all that matters ;)

I loooove butter pickles in my tuna too, and I like the idea of adding a laughing cow cheese wedge! I also like to add diced carrots and celery to my tuna :)

4 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I love to fill my tuna salad with all sortsa crazy stuff. Flavor is where it’s at, right?

I’m about to whip up some tacos for dinner. For me, that = taco salad, though. Delicious.

My favorite mixins would definitely have to be celery and fresh basil. Yummmmmm!

5 Morgan @ Endorphaholic July 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love putting cottage cheese with my tuna, extra protein and you get the creaminess like you would with mayo!

6 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:10 am

Good idea! Never thought of that one :)

7 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I am soooo bad at the mix-in bit! …..Reading all of the comments here may help me out though! :) Glad all your work for your ‘Favorites’ page is behind you, now you can bask in the glory of it being done! :)

8 Laura July 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm

oh my gosh, how ironic… I was just eating my dinner while reading your blog and I enjoyed an egg salad wrap. I was thinking how could I make it a little different/better and in addition to mayo, spicy mustard, tonight I added a wedge of French Onion laughing cow cheese! It was incredible :-D I will definitely be making it again!

9 Mandee July 27, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I always put cheese in my tuna fish! It’s like a tuna melt if you think about it. I’ve also mixed some hummus in with hard boiled eggs as an alternative egg salad. It’s pretty good!

10 Amanda July 27, 2011 at 8:01 pm

i love tuna salad…salads :) so yummy!!

11 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I used to be the same way with working out but I’ve recently split them up throughout the day. MY favorite’s to do cardio in the AM since it wakes me up then do weights in the afternoon.

12 Erin @ Naturally Addicted July 27, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love splitting up my workouts on days when I am just so super busy! I must agree with…it reall does all add up in the end. I don’t think cheese weird in tuna salad… I also love dijon mustard in just about anything dressing or mix I need to make! Have fun at the softball game!

13 Carey @ Positively Blonde July 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

The more veggies mixed in, the better!

14 Janae Jacobs July 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

LOVE THE NEW FAVORITES PAGE. I also love splitting up my workouts (especially when I get to eat in between, it gives me so much more energy)! I am seriously coming to visit you so that you can feed me cupcakes and that salad as we play with Cody!

15 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

Thanks, Janae! Soooo…when should I plan on your arrival?? ;)

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Blueberry bagel thins?! YUM

17 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

They are AMAZING!!!

18 Paige July 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Good luck at your softball game, Courtney!

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’m not a fan of tuna or chicken salad b/c I don’t like mayo. But that’s just me!! :)

That being said, your Blizzard butter and banana looks delish! That’s much more up my alley. ;)

20 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

Have you ever tried making it with plain Greek yogurt? That’s another favorite of mine :)

21 Stephanie @ FoodandFitness4Real July 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I mix mashed avacado and greek yogurt (instead of mayo) in my tuna salad.

In chicken salad, I like grapes and walnuts and greek yogurt too. Maybe even some dried cranberries.

Now I am hungry for chicken salad.

22 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

Really!? Now that sounds awesome!!

23 April @ Motor City Runner July 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

My fave mix ins are pickles and onions!! Yummy

24 courtney @ cupcakedynamite July 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

sometimes splitting your workouts up is necessary! I don’t mind it. Especially if it’s cardio then weight training later on. :)

25 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Mm I have some tuna waiting for me to turn it into tuna salad, but maybe I will do a tuna salad salad too! :)

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I do pickles in tuna salad too! I like crunch when I’m doing tuna or egg salads so celery is a must for me.

27 Mac July 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

So often people don’t remember that all those little bits of exercise do add up! I’m glad you said that in your post, because I wish more people (esp. ones struggling to lose weight) would realize this.

28 Mallory @ It's Only Life July 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Looks so good! I almost always add craisins, green onion, walnuts, tomato, and garlic powder!

29 Carissa July 27, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Great idea with the laughing cow. I’m so trying that!

30 Lindsey July 27, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Hummus is always number one! Then green onions, celery, cucumber and peppers. Or sometimes I go the other way and add apples and dried cranberries.

31 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 27, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Who ever said you couldn’t have breakfast-type food for lunch ;)

32 Candice July 28, 2011 at 12:41 am

I don’t mix my tuna with anything.. I know I’m crazy.. I just love the taste of it plain!

33 Khushboo July 28, 2011 at 4:22 am

Are you an avocado fan? If so, try using it as a mayo alternative in chicken salad- deeelish!

34 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

I NEED to try that!!

35 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

I love to mix peanuts with tuna and walnuts with chicken! Yum :)

36 Niki (Life's a Payne) July 28, 2011 at 7:18 am

I LOVE dill pickle relish mixed in with my tuna!

37 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" July 28, 2011 at 7:52 am

Love the favorites page! When I’m really busy, I try to space my workouts out over the day, but I find that I lose motivation!

My fave tuna salad mix-in or chicken salad is definitely fruit, particularly grapes and raisins.

38 Kelly July 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

I mix dried cranberries into my chicken salad and sometimes chopped walnuts…so good!!

39 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 10:13 am

I LOVE dried cranberries in my chicken salad. Sliced grapes are good, too!

40 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love tuna mayo salad with apple slices in…it tastes so good! :-) xyx

41 Emily July 28, 2011 at 8:53 am

I’ve been guilty of mixing in cottage cheese instead of mayo or greek yogurt – still creamy and a little tangy. Delicious – if you like cottage cheese, that is! I, too, had tuna salad yesterday for lunch and threw in mustard, sweet pickle relish and some grapes. Grapes weren’t quite as delicious as when they’re paired with chicken salad.

42 Emily July 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

Oh and sunflower seeds for crunch!

43 Stephanie July 28, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love golden raisins mixed into chicken salad!

44 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 29, 2011 at 10:59 am

I saw the Bluberry bagel thins! Excited to try it out!