Weighing My Options

Good Morning! Welcome back to Monday (boy it comes back fast, doesn’t it?) Well, here’s what you may have missed while you were out having a blast this weekend:

Saturday Morning Fetch

Lucky To Have My Friends

Exactly What I Hoped For

This morning, I headed on over to the gym (in the midst of a monsoon!) for a little BodyCombat action. Now, in the four or five classes that I’ve taken of Combat so far, the classes have been small; like, three to five people max. Usually I don’t mind a smaller class, since it gives me that much more space to go kicking, punching, and gallivanting all throughout the room; but there’s been a couple of times where I walk in and I’m the only person there until about one minute before class starts.

As I was walking towards the room today, I noticed that there was nobody in there except for the instructor so I quickly began to weigh my options. The instructor is a really nice guy, but I just did not want to end up being the only one in class today. I would have felt so awkward being by myself, but I would have felt too guilty to leave if it was only me.

So I chickened out and ended up going in to a spinning class instead (I did notice three people walk in late to Combat). If you’ve been reading for a while, then you may already know that I’m not really the spinning type; it hurts my butt, I can never get comfortable, and I feel like my entire upper body gets shafted on a workout. But I went anyways, I sweat my face off, and I made up for my lack of upper body work by hitting up the scary part of the gym after class and doing this quick routine:

Exercise Weight Reps Sets
Shoulder Press 20 lbs. 15 3
Chest Press 16 lbs. 15 3
Alternate Tricep Kickbacks 16 lbs. 15 3
Tricep Extensions 15 lbs. 15 3
Alternating Bicep Curls 10 lbs. 15 3
Lat Pull Down (machine) 40 lbs. 15 3
Crunches (on stability ball)   – 25 2
Bicycle Crunches   – 50 1
Lower Ab Crunches (holding stability ball between feet)   – 25 2

By the time all was said and done, I was definitely all said and done!

And I was ready to come home to the breakfast that was already waiting for me…

Iced coffee and overnight OIAJ, baby! Open-mouthed smile

Thanks to an almost-empty jar of Blizzard Butter, I was able to prep myself a delicious batch of OOIAJ last night:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tbsp plain Chobani
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon

Just with adding the couple tablespoons of Chobani, this batch was super thick and creamy.

I also ended up crumbling one of these EONI bars on top for a little added sweetness and crunch.

image

Last week, I was contacted by blog reader Megan, who also works for EONI, asking if I would be interested in trying out their new products. EONI bars are made with whole grains and oats, and currently come in three varieties: mixed berry, orange cranberry and apple raspberry.

Megan generously hooked me up with all three flavors, but because there were so many of each, I put two in the freezer to save for a later time and dug right into the apple raspberry flavor. These bars are really, really good. They’re almost like a mix between a cookie and a granola bar. They’re soft and chewy, and the bits of fruit give them the perfect amount of sweetness, while the nutty granola topping gives them a fantastic crunch.

Jay and I have been snacking on them all weekend (we actually brought some up to the track on Saturday to share) and are loving them. They are definitely something I would pick up in the store if I saw them.

I’ve got a LOT that I want to get accomplished today, so fingers crossed that I can get through it all!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Have to talk holding your tongue with your hand -OR- have to keep a hand over one eye to see?
  • Sleep next to an incredibly light sleeper -OR- next to someone who hogs the covers?
  • Have to always eat standing up -OR- always enter your car from the passenger side door?

*Disclaimer: I received the three boxes of EONI bars to sample for free, but all product reviews and opinions are strictly my own.

Comments

Q1: I would rather hold my tongue to talk. Think of all the funny words that would be said or expletives. eg. say “apple” while holding tongue. – love it

Q2: I would sleep next to a light sleeper. They would eventually get up and give me the bed. win win for me, I’m a selfish sleeper.

Q3 I’ll eat standing up, used to that.

Those were fun questions.

1) I’d rather cover my eye to see. I hate the feeling of holding my tongue! lol
    2) I’d rather sleep next to a light sleeper.
    3) I’d rather always enter my car from the passenger side door. I do it enough when I park on busy streets!

Those bars look yummy!
    Have to talk holding my tongue – seems less inconvenient for some reason!
    Sleep next to a light sleeper, doesn’t bother me and my sleep! haha
    Eat standing up! I like to wear dresses and entering the car can be tricky enough with one on, let along going across seats!

1. Cover one eye, holding my not being able to talk properly would drive me nuts
    2. Sleep next to a light sleeper, i need my covers!
    3. Eat standing up, that wouldn’t bother me too much

So random question: why do you do 15 reps of each exercise? I’ve heard all kinds of arguments for all kinds of numbers, so I was wondering what your reasoning was. :)

• Courtney says

I usually like to use slightly lighter weights and work them until I’m close to fatigue. Once I get to 15, I’m usually pretty fatigued. I’ve always been told that lighter weight and more reps is beneficial for toning, but like you said, there’s a lot of different ideas out there. That’s just my reasoning! :)

oooh, those eoni bars look so good!

-uuumm I think I’d rather have to keep one hand over my eye to see. the tongue thing sounds too gross. ;)
    -I’d also rather sleep next to an incredibly light sleeper… selfish me.
    -aaand I think I’d rather have to enter my car from the passenger’s side. restaurant dinners could get awkward standing up all the time, no?

Spin always kicks my butt.

I would rather cover one eye (at least you could TRY to be inconspicuous)

sleep next to a light sleeper (I would be dead asleep and that poor person would be the suffer-er)

and enter from the passenger door…which they actually say you should do if a creepy looking vehicle is parked next you you on the driver’s side. That way they cant grab you (kind of morbid, but also good to know!)

MMm I’m def gonna make some OOIAJ for tomorrow morning- thanks for the reminder!
    Plus I know exactly how you feel about being in a small class. I once went to a yoga class where I was the ONLY person. The instructor was great about it but I did feel a bit awkward. I kinda looked at it as a personal training session though!

Yea, I totally wouldn’t have gone to that class either…I would feel so awkward if it was just me haha. Those bars look super tasty! I really need to try OAIJ and blizzard butter. I should get on that asap :).

1. I would rather talk holding my tongue
    2. Oh man..I’m a light sleeper too so I guess someone else who is a light sleeper- I would wake up often if they kept stealing the covers
    3. I would rather eat always standing up

1. Have to keep a hand over one eye to see. I actually tried talking holding my tongue for this one :P
    2. Sleep next to an incredibly light sleeper. I’m a heavy sleeper and I am the one who hogs the covers ;). I literally roll myself in them lol.
    3. Always enter your car from the passenger side door.

first those bars look great!!! i was hoping they were a recipe (hint, hint) of yours so i could make them myself. i love healthy snack options, especially homemade.

second, i love OIAJ, you were the one who got me hooked on them BUT i always heat them up with hot water (remembering your whole don’t stick the plastic jar in the microwave like i did advice!). you don’t mention heating the water, is your version today a cold version?

as always, happy monday!!!

1. Hand over eye–I’m not a fan of spreading my spit everywhere.
    2. Light sleeper–I have a hard time sleeping without covers! :)
    3. Enter the car from the passenger side. I don’t like eating while standing. It doesn’t even make the experience enjoyable!

Hahaha, girl, I would have done the exact same thing. I’d feel kind of sorry for the instructor though! Poor guy.

I am definitely too lazy to eat standing up! I’m sure I would get really good at sliding over to the driver’s side if I always went in that way!

Wow. Thank you for posting that recipe. I found an empty jar of PB in the fridge this morning (not sure why it was there) and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Then I did not even need to look for the recipe since you posted it. It was meant to be! Thanks! I cannot wait for breakfast tomorrow.

You may learn to love spin, it took me a while to get over the hurt from the seat but now I love it. My husband and I go once a week.

Ha I always wondered why you never did spin??!! I agree it does hurt the tush so you have to go consecutively for that to go away, and I also do hate that it feels like I don’t get an upper body workout in. Although I just love how great a cardio workout it is and sweat my face off ;)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Sushi Love – Ozumo

Trackbacks

1. […] This stuff is my jam right now. I just can’t get enough of it. I’m convinced peanut butter and apples were totally made for each other. Also, really looking forward to having an empty peanut butter jar for the first time ever so I can try some of Courtney’s oats in a jar. […]